VIII

Up and Away [UNFINISHED]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The summer camp was closed for today due to an unscheduled maintenance, but all the workers were here today to help clean up and set up the place. It was kind of a work-chill session; we all got to invite our friends… so I invited Daehyun who was off of work and free to hang out.

“It’s nice to hang out with you even though I’m working, what have you been up to anyway?” I asked while mopping up the floor.

“You look like you’re enjoying yourself, you mop very elegantly. I’ve been working and hanging out with my cousins from Hawaii. How about you?” he leaned against the wall while watching me work hard.

“Well… this, basically” I put the mop back into its bucket and wiped any trace of sweat from my forehead. I looked around the area to see what other people were doing and I realized that Jin Ah was with Chanyeol again. “What’s Jin Ah doing here? And how does she know Chanyeol?” I squinted from a distance.

“Why are you glaring at them? I introduced them to each other!” Daehyun began to open another bag of chips and ate them gracefully. I looked at him intensely and he looked as nervous as a deer in headlights. “What?” I shook my head and began mopping again. For some reason I couldn’t take my eyes off of the two, they were laughing and… flirting. “You don’t like him, do you?”

“What? No!” I spat in disgust, “No… way!” Daehyun smirked smugly and continued snacking on his chips.

“Mhmm” he smacked his lips, “okay. Well, do me a favor and stop looking at them will you? You will make it look like you have a thing for Chanyeol, which you CLEARLY don’t” he emphasized the clearly in a sarcastic manner. I rolled my eyes and continued mopping… but I just couldn’t take my eyes off of them. It wasn’t very pleasant.

Chanyeol was a good guy and Jin Ah… well, she’s not the BEST person out there, but she’s an alright person. I just never really liked her; her generosity comes off as insincere and I never really appreciated it. When we were kids, she took my limited edition Barbie doll. Since then I’ve always looked at her as a bit—

“Hey, keep mopping and stop daydreaming,” Myungsoo smiled and hugged me from behind. I was literally frozen; shocked that he would do such a thing. I dropped the mop and looked at Daehyun who was just as bewildered as I was. “It was my 19th birthday just a few days ago, you didn’t say happy birthday!”

“Sorry” I awkwardly moved my arm and scratched my head, he let go and turned me around. “Woah, when did you get so touchy feely?”

“Since I became a man” he smiled smugly, twirling me around in a circle. “Everyone criticizes me and say that I’ve been a chicken for not asking you out to dinner properly.” I couldn’t help but to notice how charming Myungsoo has become since he hit “manhood.” “So… how about you and me go to dinner tonight? It’s on me, of course.”

“Ah,” I opened my mouth after being twirled around 5 billion times. I nearly regurgitated on the floor, but I prevented myself from doing so because I spent many hours mopping it squeaky clean. I’m pretty sure this is dangerous for my health though. “But I’m not going to let you pay the whole bill” he didn’t catch what I meant until I beamed at him brightly.

“Oh my god” he cracked a smile after being speechless for so long, “you finally said yes. I… I’m going to have a moment excuse me” he joked and I slapped his arm. “Ow, so I’ll pick you up tonight?” I nodded my head and he tried to play cool by nodding his head back and walking away as quickly as possible. Any person with sight could see that he was happy dancing his way back to his office.

“What was that all about?” Daehyun slowly walked over, still munching on his chips.

“Well” I began, but I scanned the room again and accidentally caught a glimpse of Chanyeol who was already staring at me. Jin Ah was touching his biceps, so I turned away and focused my attention back to Daehyun. “Myungsoo asked me out on a date properly.”

“What” Daehyun crumpled up the empty bag of chips, “I thought you didn’t like him?” he asked while chewing his last bit of chips.

“Yeah I didn’t, but he just looked… incredibly handsome today” I started to think about him too. It was weird, I usually thought about my “partner in crime” and all the activities we had planned for the children. “I don’t know if it has to do with his age or if he just got my mind off of something else.” Daehyun looked at me after my last sentence with intense curiosity.

“Say… what else might have been on your mind if it wasn’t for Myungsoo?” his face was hovering under mine and I looked up in order to avoid eye contact with him.

“Uhh… the kids, actually. And the person who helps me tend to them” I smiled after earnestly answering Daehyun’s question.

“Mhm, interesting. So… what if that person was supposedly walking our way now, what would you do?” Daehyun was looking i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter