VI

Up and Away [UNFINISHED]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was around 6:00 PM and the sun was still out, gradually setting as I looked out into the distance. I was resting from my three mile jog around the city, and finally settled here on a bench at Yeouido Park. Kids were still running around on the playground, I had actually seen a few kids from the summer camp that smiled and waved at me. I looked like a sweaty mess, but I could care less. I had no one to impress… that I could think of anyway. I usually jogged without earphones on, mostly because my mom always told me not to. She said it wasn’t safe to run with them in, otherwise a “predator” could close in on me and take me away. I never really had an issue with it though; my ear buds would always fall out which was really inconvenient for me.

I took deep, slow breaths in order to stabilize my breathing. I was tired because this was my first jog in a long while, yet I still was able to run such a long distance after taking so much time off. I had no particular reason to stop running… I was just lazy. I also finally found the time to after being busy for so long. Work and summer homework kept me so busy that I had absolutely no time to think of my health. I stretched my arms out and leaned back against the bench, taking in the summer night air. It didn’t hit me that it was summer until tonight. The gradient sky made me wonder why I never looked at it, it was truly amazing. If only I could share a moment like this with a special someone…

Just kidding.

I’ve never been particularly into the whole “must-have-boyfriend” craze as much as everyone else; though lately I have been feeling a bit lonely. Just about everyone at summer camp has a significant other… like my new friend-co-worker Suzy. Her boyfriend looks just as young as her, but I think he’s about six years older. Not that I really care, she’s legal anyway so it doesn’t really matter to me. I think his name is Seung Gi… it was possible to catch it when they were in such a rush to leave to do God knows what.

I didn’t mind though, their relationship didn’t matter to me and Suzy was one of the few genuinely nice co-workers that interacted with me aside from Chanyeol, so I was willing to keep a secret as long as she was my friend.

Speaking of Chanyeol, he’s been a little weird lately. Ever since our little meet-up, he argues it was a date, things have gotten quite awkward between us… and not the good kind of awkward, if that even exists.

Anyway, the two of us try to set aside our inability to converse with one another without one of those awkward moments around the kids, we try not letting them know that “mom and dad” are having trouble speaking to one another, and surprisingly it works. Though Lauren is a diva and is the sharp one, she always asks if we’re okay and the other kids look at us, waiting for a response. The two of us exchange glances, quickly looking at the kids and giving them a thumbs up with a slightly sincere smile.

I want things to be normal between us, whatever that means, but I just make things so uncomfortable between us. I don’t do it intentionally, it’s just me.

I look out into the distance and notice that the sun begins to set and it’s starting to get dark.  I can’t come to a decision whether to stay on my rump and wait until the sun completely sets or leave now before the creepy men from the bar nearby start to come out. The longer I wait, the darker it gets.

I shouldn’t be worried, but my mom’s words have

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter