In the Cinema

What Love Is About

L starts his car slowly as Jieun puts on the seatbelt. To be honest, she was surprised to see him driving a car since she saw him working as a waiter. But she decided not to question him since it would be really rude.

He focuses on driving as Jieun peeks over at him. Looking at him from the side is really something new. Jieun knows L is handsome, but not to the extent where he looks like a prince charming. His lips slowly curl up into a smile and he glances over at her from the side of his eyes.

"Am I that charming?" He asks and she flushes, turning her head and pretending to focus on the road.

He chuckles as he turns the steer.

"You... look alright." She mumbles.

"Oh, really?" L asks, amused. "Is that why you drooling at me while I'm driving?"

"I do not drool!" She snapped her head toward him, catching him burst in a fit of laughter.

The sound of his laughter swirls a warmth of sensation in the pit of her stomach and she blinks confusedly. *What's wrong with my stomach?*

She has never heard him laugh so it is quite confusing and amusing. The way he freely laughs with her make her feels good.

As his laugh ceases, he glances over to her and sees her currently in a trance. Being careful as not to get into an accident, he studies over her side face as well and comes into a conclusion.

She has a pretty lips. A small, cherry one. Then there are her big, doe eyes. Ones that hold much knowledge. Her nose is cutely sharp. Although her hair may have been too long for her small face, he likes how the black, a bit wavy hair frame her face.

It comes as a shock when he realizes he is descripting her feature, and he has never actually looked at a girl for that long. Blinking, L takes a deep, shaky breath as he drives his car into the parking lot.

"Are we here?" She asks, unbuckling her belt as L stops the car.

"Yeah." He replies, his lips. He doesn't know why he suddenly feels thirsty.

They get off from the car and go inside the mall. L leads the way to the cinema, and Jieun follows happily.

"This is my first time going out with a friend." Jieun mutters blissfully.

"You've never gone out with a friend before?" L asks, raising his eyebrow as they walk to the queue to pick a movie.

"Nope." Jieun shakes her head. "My brothers are overprotective." Then she pauses, "But I do have gone to a karaoke once. Does that count?"

He chuckles. "It is, silly."

"I mean, going out with a boy. Yes... that's what I mean." Jieun says.

"So... am I like the first guy who brings you out? From your dull, boring world?"

Jieun shoots him a look. "You're cocky." 

"So I've heard." He whistles. "What do you want to watch?"

"What's good?"

"Do you like romcom, horror, action, or sci-fi?"

"I prefer romcom. I don't like horror and seeing guys fighting with each other just simply disgusting." She wrinkles her nose. "Not that I'm saying it's bad. I think it's just stupid. Why do boys like to hurt each other? To push up their pride by winning? I think that's just plain idiotic."

L gazes at Jieun for a moment as his mind wanders to his past.

 

Little L was thrown against the wall, and he choked on his tears.

His abusive father took up his bat and strode toward the young, skinny boy with determination in his eyes.

Little L quieverd in fear as he closed his eyes, waiting for the man to hit him.

When he felt the first hit on his stomach, he felt the world stop and he was hardly breathing.

"I told you to listen and stay out of trouble! What the hell were you doing, playing soccer with your friends? You should not have friends! You should focus on studying!" His father raised his bat again and hit him again.

"I'm sorry...." Little L cried and cried.

"Look at your brother!" His father shouted furiously. 

Little L's eyes flickered weakly toward the big photo framed with gold frame. Inside the photo was a boy in his fourteenth, looking high and arrogance. His big brother, Kim Sunggyu. In the young age of fourteenth, Sunggyu managed to pinpoint the mistakes his father did and everything he said was all correct and barely made a mistake. Sunggyu also had a long history of perfect academic skills.

On the contrary, Little L was more of the sporty type and liked to be outside instead of being caged in a room. He had a poor academic skill not because he's stupid, it was because his laziness. 

His father was a man with light hand, and often hit him for everything he did. Everything his father thought wrong. The catch was, his father thought whatever L was doing was wrong. So he hit the kid.

"I told you to study in the room but where did I find you!?" Mr. Kim asked with a loud booming voice. "You were in the park, playing soccer with those filthy friends of yours!" He shouted and hit L again.

Being only ten-year-old, little L could only cry in agony each time his father raised his hands. He never managed to escape.

 

 

"Myungsoo! Myungsoo!" 

L snaps out of his trance and looks at Jieun. He blinks. "What were you saying?"

Jieun puffs her cheeks. "I asked you if you want to watch Insidious 2 or not." 

"Insidious 2?" He asks. "Isn't it a horror movie?"

"Well, I just asked Hyuna to recommend a movie and she told me to watch Insidious 2."

"Really? Then let's change it."

After changing the free tickets into Insidious movie tickets, L brings Jieun to a bench and tells her to wait while he goes to buy snacks for them. 

L buys two cups of cokes and a big size popcorn. He goes back to the bench and sees Jieun looking at him. She smiles at him and he smiles back.

They give their tickets to the worker and go to their seats. Settling down, L puts his drink on the place at the right armrest as Jieun puts it on the armrest between them.

The trailer of the movie starts and some people quickly settle on their seat, as they don't want to walk in the dark. Soon the movie starts and Jieun gulps. The sound effect is hurting her ear but she bit her lips as so to not to say anything.

L glances over at Jieun in the dark - he has been doing this for quite a lot of time - and notices how her face changes as the movie slowly progresses. 

As the movie reaches its peak, screams and shouts are heard in the cinema. L isn't scared of ghosts or anything else so he wanders his eyes and sees how couples are doing. The girl in front of Jieun's seat leans over her boyfriend with fake petrified eyes and the boyfriend cooed the girl, pretending he isn't scared of the movie.

L scoffs. The man looks like he is about to pee on his pants.

Shaking his head, he looked over to Jieun, and sees her shutting her eyes tightly, seemingly truly afraid of the scene. It is a scene when the lead female is being trapped between the ground and her own husband - but the spirit inside the body isn't her real husband. The man is trying to kill her and each time the face zooms in, it changes into a pale face of an old woman with black veil and dress.

It is scary - but it doesn't interest him or scare him truthfully.

His eyes soften at the sight of Jieun trying to hold back her screams. Instictively, he reaches out and grabs her hand, giving assuring rub.

 

 

 

 

Jieun feels her hand being grab and slowly peeks one eye out. She sees L looking at her with those meaningful gazes and rubs her knuckles in assurance. Slowly opening both eyes, she smiles meekly at him.

He leans over and she stills rigidly.

"If you're scared, you can just scream, you know. Or maybe, you can use my shoulder to cover your face." He suggests playfully. 

Jieun slaps him softly on the shoulder. "Don't make fun of me."

"I'm not." He chuckles softly.

"You are!" Jieun accuses.

"I'm not." L smiles. "Moreover, if you're really scared, you could just tell me so we could go out faster."

She furrows her eyebrows. "And waste the money?"

"Hey, I got the tickets from my friends. We're not wasting any money."

"The snacks?" Jieun points.

"I think I've finished mine." He picks up the empty cup and shakes it, proving that it is ended empty.

Jieun nods. "Then, do you want to leave now?"

He grins. "Just tell me what you want and I'll do it."

_______________________________________________________________________________

So... I'm sorry to ditch this story for a while. I was focusing on This Sick Love and since it will be finished soon.... so yeah. Enjoy this chapter guys :D