Close at Hand

The Story Not Told

 

      Their filming for the camping trip already ended.  It wasn’t what they expected it to be. They felt exhausted although they enjoyed it.

      “Wanna go to Kona Beans?” Leeteuk asked while they were fixing things before leaving.

      “Huh?” Surprised, she looked at her watch. “Will it be fine? Some fans might be there.”

      “Ow. Yeah. It may not be a good idea.” He concluded, realizing the situation. “I might end up having a massage later. I’m tired.”

      They transferred to his white car and left the van to his manager hyung.

      “Wanna eat something?” He asked her as they fasten their seatbelts.

      She sighed and leaned her body to the back rest of the seat. “Right now, I’m craving for Baskin Robbins mint chocolate ice cream.”

      “Then let’s buy some.” Leeteuk decided, starting the car’s engine.

      After buying ice cream and cola, they decided to park outside Sora’s flat and just stayed there for a while.

     “The date for my enlistment is already confirmed.” He told her.

     Sora stopped eating and looked at him. “Really? When?”

     “End of October,” his face looked grim.

     “It’s so close. I guess we only have a little time left.” She sighed.

     He could only nod in agreement. “But we could still make the most of what is left.”

     “What are you feeling?” She suddenly asked.

     “Huh?” He looked at her confused.

    “About your enlistment,” something was in her voice but he couldn’t identify what it is.

    He paused, musing about the question. “Still confused.” He let out a sigh, looking at the ceiling of the car. “I got mixed feelings. I’m excited but I’m also afraid. I’m thinking of things I won’t be able to do when I enter and of people I will left behind. I’m still not sure what I will really feel when the time comes. It will really be a new experience.”

     She pressed a smile in her lips. “Don’t feel down. There are lots of people who will support and will be waiting for you.”

     He faced her. “Hoping you’re one of them.”

    “Of course.” She suppressed a laugh. “You don’t need to ask me that.”

    He just smiled.

     “Ok. I’ll be going now. You should rest right away.” She told him as she prepared to get out of the car. “You will be busy next week right? I can give you red ginseng right now. Will you wait? I’ll get it upstairs.”

     “Ani. Don’t bother going out again. I’ll be taking nutrition shots tomorrow at the hospital. Don’t worry.” He assured her.

     “Ok. Come home safely. Take care.” She nodded and smiled before closing the car door.

     Leeteuk proceeded to the usual place he goes to have a massage and asked Siwon to come over.

***

     Few days after, he was resting after a day’s schedule. He was lying in his bed, scanning for articles through his phone when something caught his attention that made him smile. He immediately composed a message and sent it to the recipient.

     Saw your photos in the magazine. Really pretty. Daebak!

     He waited for her to answer but he fell asleep lying in his back, having his right arm above his head.

 

     Time passed. Then Donghae came to his room around 1 in the morning.

      “Hyung,” Donghae woke him up. “Got to go to the gym.”

     Though still dazed, he tried to get up. “Oh. I actually dozed off,” he realized and checked his phone. And there was the message 3 hours ago. Oh jinjja? How come you saw it? Did you check? Kkkk~

      He first fixed the things he needed to bring and prepared to go out.

     “You drive,” he told Donghae when he came out of his room. Then, he replied to the message. Saw it while surfing the web. Still awake? I dozed off so got to reply only now.

     While Donghae was driving, Leeteuk was in the passenger’s seat fiddling with his phone.  Then Donghae suddenly spoke, still looking ahead. “Hyung, it’s Sora ssi, right? I’ll pay your remaining 2-month subscription in the gym if I got it wrong but you’ll pay mine if I’m right.”

      Taken aback, Leeteuk looked at him. “Oh, don’t bother and just focus on your driving.”

      You’re not going to the gym? He read her reply and answered back.

      I’m up studying the rest of the script for the movie. Gotta sleep in a while. I’ll be watching your shows this week since I can’t meet you.

      Really? I’ll be giving you signs then. Watch out for it ^^

     Ne, ne.. Take care then. Don’t strain yourself hard. ^^

     Arasso ^^. He pressed the send button smiling.

    “Hyung, why don’t you just court her formally?” Donghae asked him enviously.  “If I were you, I would feel threatened that someone might also take interest on her.”

      He let out a sigh and faced his dongsaeng. “You know I want to but something is holding me back. I don’t know.”

      “Oh well. I don’t want you to feel bad but I hope you won’t regret it in the end.” Donghae told him in a serious tone.

***

     Another week passed and he received the notice of them ending their marriage.  He didn’t expect it to be so soon. And he was like there thinking that she might send him off. He was now pondering about it in his room. He already bought something for her though he wanted to do more than that.  Looking back, it wasn’t really easy.

     He was staring at the ceiling for a long time when he heard a knock. Donghae peeped through the door.

     “Hyung, we will be eating dinner.”

     “I’m fine. Go ahead.”

     “You sure?” He asked again. “Ok.” Though feeling something strange, Donghae still dismissed the matter.

     That night, he was left in the dorm thinking over what will happen by the morrow.

***

     Sora also received the notice almost at the same time. She didn’t want to believe it at first. It was so sudden, she thought.  She tried to calm down and think rationally.  It was just right to end the marriage for Leeteuk to have the time to prepare for his enlistment.  But they didn’t have enough time to spend with each other. That was regretful. And now, she was hesitant to let go. She was already used with the situation that she sometimes forget it was only a made up relationship. She now has to practise herself not having to meet Leeteuk as her husband.  Something ached deep inside her, thinking of the thought.  She permitted for this to happen so she got no choice but to face the consequences.

 

***

      I can only write the chapter like this. My apologies for taking so long to update a short chapter. I’m really a sentimental person so you shouldn’t be surprised if the succeeding chapters would be soppier than this. And if I receive satisfying number of comments, I might update right away though it would also be short.^o^