Your Presence is a Present

The Story Not Told

 

       Sora was reading Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84 in her bedroom. It was a tome of more than 900 pages that she needed serenity when reading it. For the meantime, she only managed to finish 12% of the book due to her busy schedule but that 100 pages she read already made her notice peculiar things around her she didn’t dare to question.  She was sitting in a single couch facing the balcony where she could see the glittering lights of the boats in the Han River just a couple of kilometer away from her home. Having a mesmerizing view of the river at night and a good book in her hands was enough to end her busy day. She leaned her head on the couch and closed her eyes for a moment to rest. She had the chance to watch the first part of their Nami trip already and tomorrow would be Leeteuk’s birthday. As much as she wanted to meet and greet him personally, she realized it would be better if she wouldn’t show up. Leeteuk might be busy and she didn’t want to compete with all the fans wishing to greet him. I guess I have to wait until Wednesday’s filming in order to see him, she thought. Her attention went back to the book. Opening the last page she was on, she resumed. Minutes had past and she was still on the same page. She couldn’t grasp what she was reading. Her mind seemed to be wandering and she couldn’t concentrate. She got up and opened her cupboard. She changed her denim shorts into a loose-fitting midnight blue pants. Then she pulled a rust-colored orange sweater out and put it over her grey tank top. She inserted some bills on her pocket and went to the main door.  Before completely going out of her flat, she put the jacket’s hood on. She went outside the building bringing her phone and car key with her.

      A few minutes later, she was already walking under the yellow lights along the long stretch of Han River.  She parked her car not far from where she was. She paused momentarily and looked aimlessly across the vast body of water. Lights from the boats and buildings across registered into her vision.  She sighed deeply wanting to release all the heavy feelings she had. Before the filming resumed, she told herself that she would be honest with herself and do what she wanted to do. But still, why did she feel that something was still holding her back?

      She pulled her phone out of her pocket and toyed with it. She searched her contacts for someone’s number. Torn between wanting to reach him and not wanting to disturb him, she kept staring at the empty message box, fiddling the screen with her thumb when she accidentally pressed the send button.

      “Aish!” She heaved out of frustration. How could she be so careless and clumsy? She slapped her head. Now, she didn’t know what to do. She was just hoping that Leeteuk wouldn’t mind what she sent for in actuality, it was empty.

       She checked the time displayed in her phone and it read fifteen minutes after ten in the evening. She should be heading home. Or maybe she could still stay there for a while. She looked for a vacant bench and sat there. She wished she brought something to eat with her. She was getting hungry. Several people passed by. Some were a couple. Others were in group with their friends. They were starting to leave the place as the night was getting deeper. She was watching them when her phone vibrated inside her pocket. It can’t be! She told herself. She could already hear the loud thumping sound as her heart rate suddenly started to rise. She reached for her phone and checked. Leeteuk was calling her. She didn’t know if she should answer it or not. In the end, she pressed the green button.

       “Yeoboseyo,” she was flustered. Her hands were ice-cold.

       “Yeoboseyo,” Leeteuk greeted her back. “What’s with the empty message?”

       “Oh,” she exhaled. “I was hoping you won’t mind it. It’s just that I accidentally pressed the button.”

       “Oh,” he sounded relieved. “I thought something untimely happened. I just found it. Where are you?”

       “Huh?” The question was unexpected. She hesitated to respond. “I got out of the house and am at the Han River right now.”

       There was a short silence. “It’s already near eleven. And you just got better from illness.” She could feel the tautness in his voice.

       “No. I’m fine.  I’m going home in a moment.” She assured not wanting him to worry.

       “Wait. Stay.” He requested. “I’ll go there.”

     “Wae?!” She unconsciously raised her voice because of surprise. Good thing, there was already no one around. “What if somebody sees you going out of the dorm?”

       “Nah, I’m an expert in secret dating remember?” She heard him chuckled. She could only form an “O” with her lips and her eyes widened.

       “Just stay there.” He again asked. “If the traffic’s good, I’ll be there in ten minutes.”

       “Oppa!” She protested. “Aren’t you being too impulsive?”

       “I’m not. Just wait for me. I’ll be driving now.” He then hung up.

       She kept her phone feeling defeated. She was flustered. Her heart rate was fluctuating.  For the whole time she was waiting for Leeteuk to arrive, she kept on glancing on her phone and on her surroundings. She was nervous not because she was meeting him but because she was afraid this might have a bad effect on Leeteuk. Ten minutes had already passed and still no sign of him. She was already fidgeting in her seat when she noticed the headlight of a car approaching.  It stopped several meters away from where she was sitting.  Then a man with a dark brown baseball cap and a black mask on stepped out. Just looking at the man’s stance, she already knew it was Leeteuk. He was wearing a grey V-neck shirt and blue denim pants with fabric ripped around the knee area. The shirt had tight fitting sleeves which accentuated his arms. Sora also took notice of his well formed chest muscles. She hardly contained herself not to show too much excitement by seeing him. She also felt something stuck on removed and that didn’t need any explanation.

       When he stood just in front of her, removing his mask, she could only sigh in relief. Leeteuk chuckled seeing her reaction.

     “You’re that worried of me, huh?” Smiling sweetly, he patted her head. He tried to look at her face but her head was down.  “You should be worrying of yourself, silly. You reminded me to take care of myself then a day passed and you were the one who got sick.”  She couldn’t look at him in the eyes.

      “Mianhe.” Regret was in her voice. “But I’m totally fine now. Look.” She presented her face for proof.

     “You call this fine?” He cupped her face. “You’re still pale. And look at the dark circles around your eyes.” He suppressed his smile and kept his face serious.

     She answered him with a look that showed something between sadness and a statement saying I’m-restraining-myself-not-to-be-peeved-right-now. Noticing it, he released her face.  “Kidding. You’re not mad, are you?” He asked sweetly.

      She shook her head and sat. Leeteuk followed her. “I’m just teasing you, okay?” He comforted her.

       “Ne,” that was all she answered.

      He dismissed the subject and asked her another query. “What were you doing here at this time? It is already late. Aren’t you afraid coming here alone?”

      She looked at him and shook her head.  “I’m used to going here at this hour and it’s generally safe and well-lighted.” She pointed to the poles of yellow light.

       “Anyways,” she started. “Why did you still come here? I told you I was already planning to go home.”

       “Nothing much,” he replied light-heartedly. “Let’s just say I missed you.” He turned to face her and saw her flushed a little. He just smiled.

       Feeling her uneasiness, he continued. “It’s only natural for a husband to miss his wife. Besides I don’t have much to do in the dorm.”

       That reminded her. She was his wife. His wife only in pretense. She shouldn’t think too much. She discarded the thought.

       “Won’t the members look for you?” She managed to ask.

       “I’ll take care of them when I get home and they were doing something when I left,” he said simply. “By the way, what’s with the empty message? What were you trying to text me?”

     “About that,” she paused, thinking carefully. How could she say this? It’s difficult to answer. But she promised herself that she would be more honest even though she was just reminded of the circumstance they were in. “I was weighing things if I should text you or not. Tomorrow’s your birthday and I was hoping I could greet you personally.”

       “We can wait until 12 midnight then.” Leeteuk suggested enthusiastically. He checked his watch. “We only have less than an hour to wait.”

        “Can you stay out too long?” Her eyes widened again.

        “It’s fine. I can only do this once in a while. Besides it’s my birthday. They should, in the least, let me do this.” He grinned.

      She nodded in agreement smiling. Then, silence came. Of all the times, she ran out of words at the moment.  She let out a sigh once again. “Nothing’s in my mind at the present. I don’t know what to say.”

        “I should also be saying something.” He admitted. It was the same in Leeteuk’s case.

       Time passed by without them saying anything. Feeling each other’s presence, they only stared at the darkness sprinkled with glittering lights in front of them.

        “Eotteokhae?” It was Sora who broke the silence. Leeteuk turned to face her.

        “Let’s head home.” She suggested.

        “Oh! You changed your mind about greeting me?” He wondered.

        “Waeyo?” She looked at her phone. “It’s already past twelve.” She smiled so brightly.

       “Oppa! Saengil chukhaheyo!” She greeted him with all the earnestness she had. She was rubbing her palms considering if she should give him a hug or not.

        Delighted as he is, he just smiled and thanked her. “Should I ask for another set of presents?” He .

        She could only react with disbelief. “You’re too much.” She retorted holding in her smile and amusement.

        He laughed in response. “Ani. Your presence is already enough.” He soothed her. “I’m really grateful.” His gaze proved he was telling the truth.

        At this time, his phone vibrated in the pocket of his jeans. He checked. It was one of his high school friends wishing him a happy birthday. Then a call got through. It was from Donghae. He answered it with greetings.

        “Hyung, where are you? Did you leave the dorm?” Donghae immediately asked him right after the call was connected.

        “Wae?” He wondered.

      “It’s just that they might look for you. I just checked your room and you were not there.” His dongsaeng explained. “Return here if you’re only playing around there. “

         “Arasso.” He replied. “Hang up now.” The call ended. Sora looked at him quizzically.

         “It was Donghae. He wanted me to go home already.”

         “Right.” Sora agreed. “Please do so. They also must be worried.”

         “Ne,” he looked at her. “Thank you again. I’ll see you soon?” He asked.

         She nodded smiling. “Happy birthday once again. Enjoy your day.”

         Leeteuk started to walk towards his car. So did Sora. She opened the door and waved, “Bye! Please drive safely.”

        Leeteuk waved back. “Ne. Take care.” He smiled. His dimple appeared deeper. “Get in the car.” His hand signalled her. Sora followed as she was told. She smiled and bid farewell one last time before she got in the car. She started the engine. She was hesitant to drive off first but knowing how stubborn Leeteuk could be, she just did.

         Only when Sora turned her car towards the exit on the opposite side did Leeteuk got in and drove off.

        It only took a few minutes to reach her apartment. She changed to her sleeping clothes and lay down. She can’t help smiling. She was happy. That’s the only explanation for it. Even though it was only a part of their made up relationship, she wanted to cherish it. It didn’t matter if one day it would have to end and she had to snap out of the fairytale. At this moment, everything was real for her.

         Without warning, her phone sounded. There was a text message. It said, “Don’t get sick anymore or else you’d get me the trouble of taking care of you. But I won’t mind. Have good rest, my baby princess ^^”

          And yeah, that was her fairytale without fairies.

* * * * *

 

         Kyaaaa~ please forgive me if this is becoming too mushy. It is my hopeful heart ruling.  I was stopping in between my writing just to calm my so innocent/ignorant self for I was too giddy to think clearly. My heart was also fluttering while writing this. Kekeke~ That “uri aegi gongjunim” totally left me delirious. Uwaaa! Eotteokhae?! By the bye I got the idea of the chapter title from Jack Johnson’s Angel. The song was the one playing when Sora eonni was ushered out to the entrance and became teary-eyed after the ring proposal. Try listening to the song guys. It’s really nice ^____^