Paying Her Way

Intervention of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyun Jae pushed Zico off of her and they both sat up looking at the door, wide eyed. Taeil stuck his head out and smiled. “What are you doing up?” He asked and she shrugged. “Why are you half ?”

“I was just practicing a little.” She said, looking down at her shoes. She felt guilty and couldn’t look up at Taeil. She bit her lip and waited for him to call her out on her lie. Perhaps he had seen them. Was he upset? “It’s easier to move like this.” She continued, quietly.

“Come on back inside. You need to rest. You’re not used to these hours and you’ll burn yourself out. You too, Zico. Stop flirting for my girlfriend and go to sleep.” He said and Hyun Jae nodded, standing quickly and walking inside, with her head down. She couldn’t look him in the eye.

She heard Zico following behind her and shutting off the light. The back door closed and she walked to her room, head down. She sat on her bed and hugged her knees to her chest. She buried her head in her knees and let out a deep sigh. She had done a bad thing.

She was supposed to be good. She was supposed to be strong. She had intended to keep her head. It was her job to take care of the group. It was her job to keep them safe. This was a dangerous game she was playing. If they slipped up, the whole group would be in danger. If she couldn’t control herself, all seven of them would pay the price.

In the morning, Zico missed breakfast. He had gone to the studio, she was told. Today, they would be dancing a recording all day, so she would have time to practice her archery. She followed them to the studio, where Zico was sitting, head rocking and eyes closed. She could feel her breath catch as she stopped in the doorway to watch him. She sometimes thought his was when he was the most handsome, when he was fighting with his art.

Everyone started tapping him and he jumped a little, looking up. He took off his headphones and looked around at everyone. His gaze caught hers and he winked. How could such a simple action look so devilish? Her heart was beating like a drum when she her heel and left the room. Her face was burning with embarrassment, even though she found that she was a little pleased with herself. He had been looking for her.

 

Her music roared as she practiced with the bow. She was in her own little world. Shooting was as relaxing as it was demanding. It let her ignore the rest of the world as she focused on the motions. See the target. Lower the bow. Pull. Aim. Breathe. Relase. The arrow flew true, into the target and she smiled. She rolled a sore shoulder and pulled out another arrow, setting it in the notch of the bow. She pulled it back and heard the door open.

On reflex, she turned around, not lowering the bow. “Ya! Watch it!” He shouted and she opened her eyes. Ukwon was ducking around the bow, smiling at her. “Come have lunch. You’ve been in here for hours.” He said and she looked up at the clock. It was no surprise that her shoulders hurt. She had been shooting arrows non-stop for four hours. “Aren’t you hurting?” He asked and she placed the bow on the bench and swung her arms, smiling.

“It’s not so bad.” She was lying. Her shoulders were burning like someone had lit a fire in her muscles. He laughed and put his arm around her shoulders. Hyun Jae almost cried when his hand made contact with her.  She whimpered and pulled away quickly.

“Go take a hot shower and come eat. It’ll make you feel better. No more bow today.” He ordered and she sighed heavily. She was ready for a break and a nice, hot shower. She started walking out of the room and smiled. Part of her wondered if there was a jacuzzi somewhere in the building.

As she walked by the studio, she heard something that made her stop. She looked in the studio and saw Zico still working. She frowned to herself and bit her lip. He hadn’t had breakfast. He was skipping lunch. She smiled at him, knowing he couldn’t see her. He probably didn’t even realize he hadn’t eaten in over twelve hours. She sighed, shaking her head. This was the reason she was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter