Chapter 13

How to Love

After eating the delicious beef noodle soup, Exo-M scattered all over the house, doing different things. Xiumin went back sleeping, Kris was reading the newspaper, Luhan was playing video games with Tao, and Lay was surfing the internet. Hyori was sticking by Luhan side all the time, cheering on him as he played the games, sometimes she annoyed Tao. Haneul was cleaning the kitchen, fortunately Hyori didn't get suspicious, since she hadn't discovered that Haneul was actually a maid. 

"YAH! YOU'RE CHEATING LUHAN GE!" accused Tao from the couch, still holding joystick. "WHY DO YOU ALWAYS WIN!"

Luhan just chuckled at the maknae's remark, "It's called skill, Tao. Or maybe, I'm just good at everything," he cockily said. He continued playing, and continued winning as well. "Ahh, Luhan, you're so awesome!" from his left side, Hyori exclaimed happily. 

Haneul heard all of it from the kitchen and just muttered under her breath, "Conceited as ever." And then, in a snap, she heard Lay calling out her name. "Haneul-ah! Come here!" she heard Lay called from the other couch at the living room. 

"Yes?" Lay saw Haneul sticking her head out from the kitchen, her eyes was wide and her face looked so innocent. Lay approached her, leaving his tablet behind. "Let's go upstairs, it's boring down here." Without waiting for Haneul to answer, he grabbed her hand by the wrist and draw her to go upstairs with him. 

Luhan who was still concentrating on the couch saw Haneul and Lay were walking upstrairs. He didn't tear his gaze from Lay's hand which circled around Haneul's wrist. "YES! I WON! I WON! HA! SEE? YOU SEE THAT KRIS GE?! I WON AGAINST LUHAN GE!" Tao's voice broke Luhan's concentration on Haneul and Lay. Luhan whipped his head to the TV and saw that he had lost against the maknae. "Yah! I'm just trying to make you happy!" excused Luhan lamely. 

But Hyori saw it all, she knew that Luhan was distracted because of Haneul and Lay. Who is she really is?! Why does Luhan looks so concern about her?! What's so good about her anyway? thought Hyori angrily. 

"KRIS GE! YOU SAW THAT, RIGHT?!" Tao asked loudly. 

Kris was sitting comfortably on his easychair. He had his newspaper held up to his face, and just like that, he answered the excited Tao, "Hmm, yeah, amazing, Tao." 

The excited Tao was too delighted to complain that Kris hadn't seen a thing, so he just let it go and started playing again. This time, he always lost again, just like before. Although Luhan's mind was wandering somewhere else. 

Meanwhile on the second floor, Lay and Haneul entered their room. Lay opened the door and in instant Haneul threw herself onto the bed, "What are we going to do now, Oppa?" she asked while looking at the ceiling. Lay who stood in front of the door silently headed toward his bed and sat on it calmly, unlike Haneul. "I don't really know, but it's so boring downstairs. Hmm, let's see..." an idea popped out in his mind, "Do you want to hear me play guitar?" he asked. He had learnt to play guitar himself in his spare time before. 

Haneul's mouth made a shape of O. "You can play guitar? Whoa, so cool! Myungsoo oppa can also play guitar, back in Korea." Haneul ran back to the sentence she just said, Myungsoo oppa, she had said it out loud. She acted her best to hide her mistake, "He's very good at playing guitar!" she added. 

"Myungsoo oppa?" Lay wasn't familiar with the name. 

Haneul silently thank the God that she didn't blurt it out as L oppa, or else Lay would know who she was talking about. "Yeah! Myungsoo oppa is my neighbor in Korea, but he had to go overseas for studying," bluffed Haneul spontaneously. Tch, Myungsoo oppa hates studying.

"Oh... okay. My guitar is.." Lay started to check every spot in his room but he couldn't find his guitar. "Aish, where is it?" he mumbled. "Ah, I know!" he turned his head and saw Haneul was lying on the bed with her eyes closed. "Haneul-ah, are you sleeping?" he asked. 

"No, I'm not." Haneul answered with her eyes still closed. 

"I'm going to get my guitar in the basement, you stay here, arasso?" he asked, about to walk out of the room. 

Basement? They have basement? Haneul abruptly sat up and followed Lay, "Yah! I wanna come too!" She trailed behind Lay, following him going downstairs. 

Luhan was still playing, but it was a different game. Despite the changing game, Tao remained losing. He heard footsteps coming so he turned his head. He saw Lay hopped down the stairs with Haneul behind him. 

"Kris ge, did you move my guitar to the basement?" Lay asked. 

Kris moved his newspaper down so he could see who was asking. "Yes, why?"

"Oh, nothing." Lay headed to the garage, which have stairs to go down to the basement. Haneul was following him close, "Yah! Wait!"

Wait... did he just say basement? Bringing Haneul to the basement? Is he out of his mind? It's the storage room! thought Luhan. "Kris ge, are they going to the basement?" 

"Hmm," was all Kris said, until he realized something. "WHAT! Aish, that Lay has lost his mind!" Kris threw his newspaper away, he jumped from his seat, trying to catch Lay in time. "Lay! Lay! Come back here!" he yelled as he ran to the garage. He found the garage was opened and he entered. There he saw Lay was going downstairs to the basement while Haneul was waiting. "Yah! Lay, what do you think you're doing?!" he yelled at . 

Lay looked at him with calm expression, "I'm just going to get my guitar in the basement." 

"And bring Haneul? Are you out of your mind?!" Kris continued to yell. 

Lay just rolled his eyes, "I actually told her to wait there." He pointed to where Haneul was standing. 

"What? Why can't I go to the basement?" Haneul raised her eyebrow. She also questioned it in her mind, What so special about the basement anyway? It makes me curious... I'll make sure to go there sometime.

"There are ghost down there! Hooo," Kris raised both of his hands and pretended to be the ghost. Haneul just threw him a what-the- look at him. Kris cleared his throat, "Uhm, I mean, the basement is very scary." 

Without both of them noticing, Lay had slipped down to the basement. He took his guitar which was placed on the couch there, he went upstairs with one hand holding the guitar and the other holding the railing due to the old age of the stairs that now seemed so vulnerable. As he got upstairs, Kris and Haneul was still there, he could tell Kris was guarding so Haneul wouldn't come to the basement. 

"I've got my guitar, let's go." Lay signaled Haneul to come after him. They soon entered house again, with a guitar dangling on Lay's hand. Luhan noticed that Lay was bringing his guitar upstairs, and Haneul was trailing behind. What is he trying to do? Impress her? I'M the one who supposed to get her, not him!

Upstairs, Lay settled on his bed whilst Haneul sitting on her bed. "Uh, what do you want to hear?" he asked, coughing before he uttered it because of the awkwardness. 

"Anything." Haneul shrugged. 

Lay started to swept his thumb up and down across the guitar strings. He was playing a slow melody, making Haneul completely drawn to the music. He hummed some tunes under his breath. 

"Go on, you can sing, I won't judge." Haneul said softly, already lost in the melody. 

Lay opened his mouth and started singing, it was a slow song with beautiful piece of music. He wasn't really that type of person who's confident on showing their talent, he was more of the shy type although he was a merciless gangster. He ended the song with more melody as he strummed the guitar. When it came to the last note, he self-consciously looked down and placed the guitar next to him. 

"It's not really good. I'm not much of a singer." He uncomfortably rubbed the back of his neck. 

Haneul shook her head, "No! You're actually really good. Maybe we should go karaoke sometimes! But I'm warning you that my voice shatters the glass." Haneul laughed freely. 

Lay just smiled at the girl in front of him. He used to be so suspicious toward Haneul, but now she seemed so harmless. He was still curious about how she got lost in China whilst she was a Korean. Speaking of that...

"Haneul-ah, why are you here?" he asked. 

Haneul cocked her head, "Here as in this cruel world with bunch of annoying people and bubble tea or here as in your house?"

"Here as in China."

"Oh, that." Haneul shook her head up and down. She smoothly answered with the bull that she had memorized back in Korea. "I just want to get away from my life in Korea. My life there isn't all rainbows and unicorns, too many problems."

"And you come to a place where you can't speak its language." Lay pointed out.

Haneul laughed, without responding, she didn't really want to lie to Lay, not anymore. She needed to change the topic, if Lay kept talking about her life, he surely would find something odd and decided to go against her again. "What do you guys do for a living? Do you even work?" she asked. 

Lay didn't look pleased with Haneul's question. But just like Haneul, he gave her a smooth answer, "We actually work. You know Changmin and Yunho from the other day? They're our business acquaintance, but we often play cards and such in their place."

"What kind of business you do?" Haneul asked again. 

"We maintain some casinos in China. You can say we're like the boss, we only make sure everything goes right." Lay said without a hint of hesitation. 

"Oh," Haneul nodded several times. "Why live here? Isn't this place a little scary?" 

Lay decided to turn back her question, "Why ended up here? Isn't this place a little scary?" 

Haneul watched him amusedly, "I'm lost, remember?"

"Well, let's just say we stay here because we don't really like city and crowds."

"Hey, Lay." Haneul called, "I'm just really curious, why do you hate me at first?"

Lay shrugged, "You seemed suspicious back then. But now I think you're qualified as one of my friends. You should feel special, because I don't have many friends."

Friends

Friends.

The words echoed in Haneul's mind. Were they really friends? 'Cause Haneul surely felt bad as Lay announced that they were friends. What kind of friend would break their friends' heart? 

 

Flashback

The night before Haneul's departure to China.

 

"Haneul-ah, do you want me to help you pack?" Myungsoo's head popped out as the door of Haneul's room opened. He let himself went inside the room and sat next to the girl he had admired for years. She was folding her clothes neatly and placed it into her suitcase. 

Haneul shook her head, "No need, L oppa. I can do this myself," she refused. 

"I've told you bazillion times to call me Myungsoo oppa instead of L oppa." Myungsoo pouted. 

Seeing her friend pouted, Haneul chuckled and messed up his hair playfully. "You can help me by bringing our cookies and cream ice-cream that we hide yesterday. Don't let anyone caught you!" 

Myungsoo promptly got up and gave a salute to Haneul. He went outside to the fridge and took the ice-cream they bought and hide yesterday. He swiftly slipped inside Haneul's room again, now with the ice-cream. By the time he was there, Haneul had finished packing. He handed her the ice cream and they started eating. 

"I really don't want you to go, you know?" he said, bringing his mood down with him. 

"Don't worry, I'll be fine." 

"Don't fall in love with that dude, arasso?"

"Why would I? He broke- no, he shattered Woohyun oppa's heart, he made his life miserable without Eunji unnie." Haneul didn't really want to break the stranger's heart, but he had done something wrong and he had to pay for it.

From the living room, they heard Woohyun was calling their names. So they quickly put back the ice cream into the fridge and rushed to the living room. Infinite were sitting on the couch cozily. 

"Haneul-ah, are you sure you can do this?" Woohyun asked with his eyes full of concern. 

Haneul fiercely shook her head up then down for several times, "Yes! I'll make that jerk regret what he had done! I'll break his heart to the point he'll beg me to stay with him... Oh, that's too cruel isn't it? Wait.. what's his name again?"

"Zhang Yixing, aka Lay."