Chapter 12

How to Love

"What? Why?" Haneul asked, frowning.

"Aish, who the hell puncture Athena's tire?! We have flat tire now! I'm so mad right now!" Luhan threw a tantrum. He turned to Haneul with a look full of concern, "Do you want to stay here? Or stay somewhere else? We can stop by somewhere." I actually punctured Athena myself, kekeke, Luhan thought while smiling evilly, his face changed 180 degree, I'm sorry my dear Athena, I'll fix you later, babe.

Haneul caught him smiling, "Yah! Why are you smiling? You think this is fun? We're stuck in the middle of nowhere!" she used her hands more than the usual.  "Can't you call the others for help? My phone's battery is dead."

"Wait a second," he took out his phone from his pocket and typed random numbers before he leaned his phone into his ears. They waited for awhile when suddenly Luhan faked a groan. "No one's answering. I'll try to reach Kris." He pretended to make a call again, and sighed afterwards. "He didn't answer either. I guess  we have to wait until he call back."

Haneul sighed, "It's going to be so cold." She hugged herself, shivering. 

Luhan instantly pulled his jacket off once he heard that. He placed the jacket on Haneul's shoulder. "I hope this will keep you warm." He smiled at Haneul. Am I doing the right thing? Aish, what if Haneul catch a cold?!

"Yah! Then you're the one going to catch a cold!" Haneul said wide-eyed. She quickly pulled off the jacket and gave it back to Luhan, "You're going to get sick, you're going to have flu, puke, fever, and I could go on without any thesaurus with me," said Haneul stubbornly. 

"I rarely get sick! What about you, you're so small that I think the cold could break you!" Luhan handed Haneul the jacket back. 

Haneul pouted, "I don't want to stuck here, call for help," she pleaded. She just put the jacket on her lap, not obeying Luhan to wear them. 

Luhan nodded and took out his phone again, this time, he called Kris for real. At least we still have some time together till Kris gets here, kekeke. Aish, how can I think like that when she's shivering?! "Kris? Hey, can you come to..." Luhan looked around, then he recognized the place, "We're twenty minutes away from home, you know the place where Xiumin ge used to buy dim sum everyday? Yeah, near that place." 

Luhan waited for Kris to answer, "Why are you stuck there?"

"I.... Flat tire." Luhan hesitated. "Athena is a great car! You love her so much that it's just impossible to happen. What did you do, Ge?" Kris sounded curious. 

"I'll tell you at home," whispered Luhan, slightly glancing at Haneul in case she was hearing the conversation all along, but it turned out that she was looking out of the window. "Just come here! Haneul's shivering right now!" 

"Okay, okay, I'll get there as soon as possible." And then Kris hung up. 

Luhan placed his phone back into his pocket. He turned his head to see Haneul, there he saw Haneul was leaning her head to the window with her eyes closed. He smiled at the sight, she looked so cute, sleeping like that. He could stare at her sleeping face for hours. He saw his jacket was still on her lap, so he picked it up and covered Haneul with it. He waved several times in front of Haneul's face to check if she was really sleeping or not, but she didn't make the slightest movement. 

Luhan her hair softly, caressing its silkness slowly. "I'm such an idiot to do something this childish. I'm sorry, Kris will get here soon, don't worry." Out of nowhere, he leaned in and kissed Haneul's forehead softly, and then he realized what he just did and slumped back in his seat. "I'll just fix the tire now." He hopped off the car and took the spare tire. 

He started to change the flat tire with the spare one. Just when he was about to finish, lights shone from a white car. From that car, a tall figure came out. It was Kris. He walked closer to Luhan, "Yah! You've already fixed it! Why did you call me!" said Kris, rather a little too loud. 

Luhan glanced at Haneul and saw her stirred a little. He quickly covered Kris' mouth, "Sshh, Haneul's sleeping! I.. This may sound childish, but I actually puncture the tire myself, to have some more time with Haneul. You know," he rubbed the back of his neck, "for the bet."

Kris nodded, "Okay, okay, now that you're done with the flat tire, just go straight home, okay?"

"Okay, see you at home." Luhan waved as Kris got into his car and drove off. He did the same, and drove carefully to their house. 

 

When they arrived at home, it was already 1 in the morning. Kris had gotten home before them, he left the key on the keyhole so Luhan could lock it later. He went upstairs to his room and immediately wandered off to his dreamland. On the other hand, Luhan had parked his car. He strolled out of the car and went to the other side of the car. He opened the passenger door and slipped his arms behind Haneul's legs and shoulders very carefully in order not to wake her up. He then carried her bridal style into the house. He didn't make a sound as he paddled his feet upstairs, with Haneul in his arms. 

He was about to open his room's door when he remembered that Haneul is now staying in Lay's. He walked across from his room and knocked on Lay's door softly, so Haneul wouldn't wake. There was no answer, but Luhan knew Lay wasn't that kind of person who couldn't hear a thing when he was sleeping, unlike Xiumin ge. He knocked on the door once again. 

A sleepy Lay opened the door, rubbing his eyes. "Hmm?" he asked lethargically, with his eyes half-opened that he couldn't make out who was in front of him now. He rubbed his eyes once again to get a better view, "Oh, Luhan ge, what do you want in the middle of midnight like this?" he asked rather annoyed. 

Without saying a thing, Luhan swiftly walked inside the room and placed Haneul on Lay's bed, knowing that there was no way Lay would let her sleep on Chen's. "Goodnight, sweet dreams." Luhan bended down a little to kiss the top of Haneul's forehead. He pulled the blanket up to Haneul's chin. 

"What did you two do today? You've been gone all day," asked Lay, who was leaning on the wall beside the door, with his arms crossed. 

Luhan walked away from Haneul's bed to the door, "I just suddenly have a flat tire that we have to stay in the car for a while." Luhan grinned as he said that. 

Lay scoffed, "You sneaky bastard, waking me up on 1 a.m. just because you made your own tire flat. Tch."

Luhan sticked out his tongue and ran to his bedroom. He opened the door to find Xiumin already sleeping soundly and Hyori sleeping on his bed. Luhan sighed, Guess I have to take the couch. He plopped himself down on the couch, searching a comfortable position until he drifted off to a deep slumber.

 

--

 

Haneul opened her eyes and found herself on her bed. A blanket was covering her body, up to her neck. She looked at the clock on the desk beside her. It was only 7 in the morning, she knew the others must've not waken up yet. She glanced at the sleeping Lay, she didn't want to wake him up. She got up from her bed and went to the bathroom. She took a quick shower and changed into comfy clothes. A memory from yesterday made the corners of her lips slowly rose up. But then she realized that Hyori was rooming with Luhan, replacing her. 

Will Luhan suddenly popped out next to her in the morning?

Will Luhan wrapped his arms around her waist like he used to do to me?

Will they comfortably sleep next to each other?

Curiosity got the best of Haneul and she leisurely walked to Luhan's room. Before she twisted the doorknob, she silently pray that the door wasn't locked. 

And it wasn't. 

She saw Xiumin was on his own bed, and... Luhan was hugging a spare pillow on the couch. Hyori was sleeping peacefully on Luhan's bed, the bed she used to occupy. She, without realizing, sighed in relieve. She stepped back and closed the door. She was about to turn around...

"What are you doing there?" a voice that sounded like Lay's startled her. 

Indeed, it was Lay, standing behind her, with rising eyebrow. "Yah! Why do you always appear like ghost!" Haneul panted, clearly surprised by Lay's presence. Lay didn't give her an answer, "Oh.. you're awake?" the mood changed, Haneul smiled brightly at him. 

"What are you doing in front of their room?" Lay asked again. 

"I-I.. I was going to wake them up, but they look so peaceful in their sleep, so I decided not to wake them up. I'm going to make breakfast now." Haneul ran downstairs, not knowing that Lay was following her behind. 

Haneul was checking every ingredients they had, but she had no idea what to make. She was never a cook kind of girl. "Make beef noodle soup, we like that cuisine." Lay appeared behind her, like the usual, making she dropped the spatula she was holding. 

Haneul raised an eyebrow, "what's that?" 

"I think we have to buy the materials first, do you want or not want to make it?" Lay asked back. 

"Let's go." They went outside and borrowed Kris' car to go to the supermarket. The car ride was quiet... not. Haneul kept asking how to make the food, what ingeredients they need, and if Lay was capable to make it. 

They finally arrived at the supermarket, Lay was ordering Haneul around, telling her to buy this and that. "We need vegetable oil, shallot, onion, garlic, chile, beef, udon noodles, brown sugar, etc. etc. etc." 

Just about five steps from Lay, Haneul had already forgot what she had to buy. She turned around, "Can you help me?" she smiled awkwardly. 

"Aish, what to do with you?" Lay grunted but helped her anyway. In about an hour, they got all the materials and went home.

"Okay, let's begin." Haneul clasped her hands together, while Lay just looked at her funnily. "What to do first?" asked Haneul.

Lay cleared his throat, "First, you have to heat the oil..."

 

The first thing Luhan did as soon as he woke up was check on Haneul. He opened the door to Lay's room, it was surprisingly not locked. He looked around but no one was there. He closed the door and walked toward the stairs. He saw Kris and Tao walking from the other side, he just ignored them and jogged downstairs. 

"Luhan ge, wake Hyori and Xiumin ge," ordered Kris. "You're the roomate," Kris smirked and ran downstairs. Tao was still too sleepy to make out what was happening around him. 

Luhan sighed and went back to his bedroom. He pushed Xiumin hard that Xiumin fell on the ground, groaning, "Aish, it's not a good way to wake people up." Xiumin rubbed his aching that had fell flat on the floor. "I'm going downstairs, you wake Hyori up." Xiumin headed outside the room. 

"Hyori-ah." Luhan shook Hyori's shoulder. "Hyori-ah," he called out again. 

"Hmm?" Hyori's eyes fluttered opened. "Oh, Luhan! You're awake?"

Somehow, her comment annoyed him. He gave her a you-don't-say look, "I'm going downstairs, Hyori-ah." Without saying anything again, he went out of the room and walked downstairs. He saw all the members were gathering on the dining table, except Lay. "Who's cooking?" asked Luhan as he sat down. 

"Lay and Haneul. From the smell, I can tell they're making beef noodle soup! Yummy!" Xiumin stated happily. 

Luhan let his feet dragged him to the kitchen. The smell of the food was so great that it made his stomach grumbled. But the sight of Haneul and Lay cooking together as if they were best friends all their lives just made his appetite disappeared. It seemed like Haneul always got things wrong, so Lay would help her do this and that. 

"Sorry, Lay oppa, I'm never good at cooking." Luhan could heard Haneul apologizing. 

"And why in the world did you apply as a maid? Aish, so confusing. Here, you have to pour this into the soup; then, cook it until it thickened." How Luhan wished he could cook as good as Lay. He was demonstrating and telling her everything perfectly.

It took them quiet a time until they noticed Luhan was also in the kitchen. "Luhan!" Haneul exclaimed. "You have to taste this! Lay oppa teach me how to make this! It tastes amazing!" Haneul praised Lay. 

Lay awkwardly rubbed his jaw, "Ah, it's just that you're a fool at cooking so I helped."

"We have to serve this!" Haneul divided the noodle into seven bowls. "Oh, it's heavy. Oppa, can you help, please?" she placed half of the bowls onto another tray, and gave it to Lay. 

"Sure." By that, they walked into the dining room, serving the soup to each one of Exo-M, Haneul herself, and Hyori. 

Lay was sitting next to Haneul, because when they got there, there were only two seats left. He watched how Haneul enthusiastically ate the soup she made. In some ways, Lay smiled when he saw her slurping the noodle. 

It's actually fun to be with you, Haneul-ah.

 


recipe source: http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/ching-he-huang/chings-classic-beef-noodle-soup.html