Chapter 1

How to Love

March 2009

 

“You and your stupid gang can’t go anywhere before you fulfill the payment,” said Kris calmly, despite his murderous gaze. “You think you can fool us?! We’re not an amateur like you.” Kris scoffed.

“Gege, can’t we give them some time to earn money? Look at this place, almost everything is trash.” Tao cringed at the sought of the crybaby gang’s place. It was small, dusty, and nasty. Their foods were scattered all over the floor, as well as their pants.

Kris shot Tao a dangerous look, “We’ve gone all the way here to take our money, there’s no way I’m letting this scum go away.”

Chen, being the calmest person, stepped between Tao and Kris before something happen. “Kris gege, what Tao means is that we should at least give them some hours to get the money. Exactly at seven, we’re going back here and take the money. Double. I want it to be doubled.” Chen smirked.

“Nice thinking, Chen.” Kris patted Chen in the shoulder, “fine, we’ll be back in eight hours. Don’t even think to run away, we can assure you that wherever you go, we’ll find you. Got it?” Kris asked the leader of the thugs.

“Y-yes,” the leader with big eyes said.

“And it’s doubled!” Kris shouted.

“O-of course,” the leader stuttered.

Xiumin who had been waiting near the door spoke up, “We should go now, this place is literally rats’ house, stinky.”

“Let’s go,” Kris told the rest of Exo-M.

 

--

 

Exo-M followed their leader, Kris, to their penthouse in Seoul, Korea. After they reached their room, they collapsed on the couches. “Everyone, let’s go eat and shop,” Xiumin suddenly suggested to his geges.

As if they had planned it, they shook their heads together. “No, you’re going to take forever. And we have to go back to that stinky place at seven.” Lay shook his head firmly.

Luhan took a glance at his watch, “Which is eight hours from now. Maybe I can catch some girls …”

Chen frowned, “I thought you’ve stopped with the whole player thing? But anyway, I think we should go. We need some refreshing.”

“We can’t risk getting caught by Infinite.” Kris said.

"But we can disguise like ninjas! Please, gege.." pouted Tao cutely.

Kris sighed, "Fine. But we're not going to separate, okay?"

"Yes, sir!" Tao said, clearly excited. "Where should we go first? Maybe we should clean up.. my clothes smells." Tao pinched his own nose.

After thirty minutes of getting ready (they have to wait the queue to shower since there was only two bathrooms), they were finally dressed nicely. Kris was simply wearing white tee with skull picture on in, pair of black jeans and a beanie. Lay was wearing sleeveless white tee covered with sweater and pair of navy jeans. Chen was wearing checked shirt with jeans. Luhan was wearing grey varsity jacket and pair of black jeans. While Xiumin and Tao was wearing all-black outfit.

"Gege! That's not what you called disguise!" Tao mumbled.

Luhan chuckled, "Aish, this boy. By wearing those clothes, people would think that you're a bulglar or shoplifter! We're wearing this outfit so we won't stand out in the crowd."

"Luhan is right. I'm going to change!" Xiumin rushed back to his room.

"I'm still going to wear this!" Tao crossed his arms.

"Whatever suits you, Tao." Lay laughed at the cuteness of the maknae.

As soon as Xiumin was ready (he changed into a casual shirt and jeans), they went out and drove to Myeongdong.

"I'm so excited! We're going to eat kimchi jjigae, right?!" Xiumin shouted in the car

"But you just ate bunch of that yesterday," Luhan protested.

Xiumin pouted, "I still want some..."

"Here we are, get out," commanded Kris.

The Exo-M walked down the street together, until Xiumin spotted a place that sold kimchi jjigae. "We're going there!" He run excitedly to the shop while the others were complaining and grunting behind. "Please get me three bowls of kimchi jjigae, ahjussi." Xiumin ordered. He looked at his left, where his geges and didis were sitting, "You guys don't want to order anything?"

"I'm not that hungry, I may not finish it if I eat," said Lay.

"Me too," said the other four members.

Xiumin smiled widely, "It's okay, if you guys can't finish it, I'll finish it for you."

 

Luhan, Lay, Kris, Tao and Chen were watching Xiumin as he ate his last bowl with wide eyes. "Hmm, should I get more?" asked Xiumin.

"No, I think I'm going to shop some things here." Chen declared.

"You're going to buy books, aren't you?" asked Lay.

"Of course," Chen laughed, "bye, guys!" He sprinted away from the rest of Exo-M.

Kris rolled his eyes, "Aish, I've told him to stick together no matter what."

"Just let him be, he can protect himself. Let's just see if we can catch some girls.." Luhan furrowed his eyebrows. 

"No, no girls. Let's just take a look around here, arasso?" Kris said. He got up from his seat, followed by Luhan, Lay, and Tao. Xiumin was still sitting. "What are you waiting for, Xiumin?" asked Kris.

Xiumin sighed, "I'm soooo full right now."

"Your fault, come on, Xiumin, you don't want to be left behind and without you knowing we go back to China, right?" joked Lay.

Xiumin suddenly stood up, running to the left side of Luhan. "Where are we going?" he smiled.

"I know it would work." Lay laughed.

 

--

 

"Hyung, what are we doing here?" L asked Dongwoo while walking beside him. The others were walking ahead from them.

Dongwoo shrugged, "Sunggyu hyung said that we should take an afternoon stroll around here. Or maybe we're going to celebrate your birthday again?"

"My birthday is weeks ago! I really dislike crowded places," L whined. Girls who were passing them stopped on their track as they saw Infinite's faces. 'Aigoo, they're so handsome', 'Oh my God! They're so hot!' L could hear it all.

Suddenly, Woohyun, Sungyeol, Hoya and Sunggyu stopped, making L and Dongwoo stopped as well. Sungjong who was walking behind them bumped into Dongwoo's hard back because he was looking at the ground all the time. "Ouch!" he rubbed his temple. He looked up to see what caught his hyungs interest.

It was a guy.

It was a guy.

IT WAS A GUY.

"Hyungs, he's a guy, why do you all stare at him like he's a Victoria's Secret's angel?" Sungjong asked in bewilderment.

Sunggyu hit Sungjong's head, "You, babo! He's Chinese!"

Sungjong raised his eyebrow, "So? There are many Chineses here."

"He's from Exo-M, he's Chen," Woohyun explained, eyes still on Chen.

"What is he doing here?" Sungjong asked, confused.

"How would we know? We've just seen him too, like you!" Sunggyu hit Sungjong's head again. 

L rubbed his chin, "They must be doing something illegal here."

"Why are you so sure, hyung?" Sungjong asked.

"Because they're Exo-M, babo!" Sunggyu was about to hit his head again, but Sungjong held his hand. "Just because they're Exo-M, doesn't mean they're here to seek trouble, right? They do what we do, right? And will you stop hitting my head, hyung?" asked Sungjong.

Woohyun was not amused. "Is he out of his mind? He crossed our territory without permission! We have to get him!"

"How?" asked Sungjong ... again.

L rolled his eyes, "You're practically asking Sunggyu hyung to hit your head, you know?"

"Okay, okay, let's do this." Sungjong said.

 

4:10 pm

"Where the hell is Chen? He's supposed to be here fifteen minutes ago! I've texted him!" Luhan complained, he just simply hated waiting.

"I guess we have to throw a searching party," said Kris. They divided themselves in group, Kris with Xiumin and Tao while Luhan with Lay. Kris and his group went to the left side and Luhan with Lay to the right side. After a while, they gathered back to the shop.

"Did you guys find him?!" Lay asked, he was very worried about Chen, since he was the closest to him. They usually do everything together.

Tao shook his head, "Chen gege was nowhere to be seen."

"Kris gege, can you call him? My phone died," Lay asked with panick in his voice.

"Okay." Before Kris could call Chen, Chen was calling him. "Chen's calling!" Kris shouted, making some people looked at him as if he had gone mad.

"Answer it!" Lay shouted, less loud than Kris.

 

4:15 pm

Chen woke up just to find unfamiliar faces in front of him. Wait, they were familiar. Infinite, the most feared gangster in Korea, just as Exo-M was the most feared in China. They were also well-known in China, well-known in gangsters area, of course.

"Let me go!" Chen yelled, struggling on the wooden chair. His arms were tied behind the chair.

"Chen. Or should I call you Kim Jongdae? Tell me, what are you doing here? We won't start a fuss if you answer us honestly," said the leader of Infinite, Woohyun.

Chen was still struggling on his seat. "I'm not answering any question if you haven't notice."

"Listen, man, we're doing this the nice way. We'll cause no harm if you would only answer our questions. What are you doing here?" asked Sungyeol.

There was no answer from Chen. But little did Infinite know, Chen was trying to pull out his phone from his back pocket. "It's useless, I won't answer." He said calmly.

"You!" L was ready to hit Chen, but Sungjong stopped him.

"Hyung! We're doing it nicely, okay? Won't want to create a fight between China and Korea, are we?" Sungjong patted L's back in order to calm him down.

"I don't really mind if we hit him, actually.." Dongwoo muttered.

Chen speed dialed to God-knows-who. All numbers were on speed dial, two of them were his uncle and aunt. He just hoped that he wouldn't press number 1 and 2. He put his phone on some space left on the chair and covered it with his hands so Infinite couldn't see.

 

4:20 pm

"Hello? Hello? Chen!" Kris yelled at his phone, which was put into speaker, so everyone could hear. "Chen-chen! Where are you?" he yelled.

"Just answer the question, what are you doing here?" Exo-M heard a voice asked.

"Someone kidnapped him!" Lay exclaimed.

"I'm not answering any of your question, just stop it, Infinite." They heard Chen said in fluent Korea, yes, they all could speak several languages.

"INFINITE?!" Lay shouted.

"Where are you, Chen?" Xiumin asked.

"You fool, how can he hear us? He probably speed dialed this call. Just be grateful that he didn't call his aunt or uncle, they'd have heart attack and die." Luhan said.

"We're asking you nicely, babo." Another voice came out.

Suddenly, the phone call turned into beep .. beep .. beep ..

"CHEN!" all the Exo-M boys shouted to the phone, getting stares from people around them again.

 

--

 

"Track down the number!" Tao said, clapping his hand as he got the idea.

"If only I brought my laptop here," Lay sighed. Chen was with Infinite, they would surely turtore him. The thought of his best friend being tortured alone was enough to make him want to kill somebody.

"Let me," Luhan grabbed Kris' phone and started doing things that his didis didn't know. "Here, he's calling from an abandoned basement somewhere near this place." Luhan handed Kris his phone back.

Tao was amazed by Luhan, "How did gege do that? It's so cool!"

"I'm just cool like that," Luhan smiled smugly.

They went according to the address on Kris' phone. They gasped as soon as they arrived.

There laid a body with blood all over its body and head. Exo-M looked closely at the body.

"CHEN!" Lay yelled and knelt beside Chen's body. He checked his pulse and burst into tears when there wasn't any. "What ... What have they done! I'm going to kill them!" Lay was about to sprinted away, but Kris held him back.

"We'll make them pay, okay. We have to bring his body back and bury him properly. We're all shocked here, don't let your anger get the best of you," said Kris.

Just see Infinite. You'll pay for this, thought Lay with tears stained on his face.

 


Author's note:

Hope you enjoy the first chapter! Poor Chen. Sorry to all Chen lovers! Don't get me wrong I love Chen but.. he's kind of the best candidate for, um, yeah.

Here's some Chen for you!

 

-superflamingo