The Ninth Times He Called Out Her Name

About Us

“I want to break up with you oppa.”

That was the moment when the world changed. It felt like there would never be sunrise anymore in the world. Maybe stars still existed, but Jong Kook couldn’t see it. Maybe colors were still there, but Jong Kook thought he was color-blind. Nothing could heal him. Nothing.

 He tried to speak but his voice couldn’t be heard. Unclearly he heard Joong Ki calling after Ji Hyo who was walking away from him now. Jong Kook saw it. Tears were streaming down Ji Hyo’s face. Jong Kook felt it. Tears were also streaming down his face. Ji Hyo-ah… Seong Im-ah… He tried to call her but no voice came out, just like before.


 

That was the time when a song suddenly played inside Jong Kook’s head. He wasn’t a fan of Korean dramas but he knew that night felt exactly like break ups he saw of TVs. Dramatic and tragic.

Joong Ki called Ji Hyo’s name a several time, but the woman didn’t even bother to look back. If Jong Kook could, he would’ve called her too. 

It’s wrong. This is wrong. It shouldn’t be like this. This… this is… wrong.

Ji Hyo’s voice was echoing in his head, calling him ‘oppa’. But he knew it was just an illusion. Reluctantly Jong Kook closed his eyes, thinking about everything they did together. They had a lot of beautiful memories together, but at the moment they all seemed painful.

Jong Kook’s mind was playing back the time when they had their first kiss. He wished he could make that happen again. The kiss under the rain was something that he wished they could do again. Even if it was their last kiss he didn’t mind. He just wanted to felt that feeling again.

Hesitantly the man opened his eyes only to find that Ji Hyo was walking faster toward the taxi. He felt something wet and cold touched his cheeks. It wasn’t his tear; it was a raindrop, a tiny little cold raindrop falling from the dark night sky. The raindrops kept on falling until it became cold enough to make Jong Kook shivered. However, he stayed on where he stood; not taking his eyes off of Ji Hyo’s figure as she almost reached her cab. Secretly the commander wished the ace would surrender to him, but he knew that wasn’t going to happen. He knew he should let her go.

The rain fell harder, making everything looked blurry. Jong Kook couldn’t see it clearly but he was sure that Ji Hyo was just about to get on the cab when she turned her head to look at him. That made his feet went weaker. But that also made his heart went stronger. Before he realized, he was already running toward Ji Hyo’s direction. He ran so fast that he couldn’t feel his own feet weakened anymore. There was strength in him. Not in his body, but in his heart.

Joong Ki who was standing there all those times watching them confusedly was getting even more confused. He didn’t know what happened to the commander. Maybe it’s just a sense that someone gets when he realizes that he might lose something. Jong Kook hyung is running fast to hold Ji Hyo noona back before it’s late. He runs for his life. The younger man observed carefully as he tried to understand what was going on.

Ji Hyo was also confused when Jong Kook suddenly ran after her. She didn’t mind her hair getting wet. She just wanted to know what Jong Kook was going to do. Hesitantly she took a step back from the cab’s door, trying to take a deep look on what Jong Kook was doing. He looked desperate. He looked sad. She knew that from the look on his eyes.

If she had the courage to love someone with her deepest heart, she wouldn’t let Jong Kook go. But she knew she still had the fear somewhere in her mind that held her back from loving the elder man.

Patiently she waited for Jong Kook to arrive in front of her. The cold wind and raindrops made her frowned, but still she was okay with that. At least the water could hide her tears. Jong Kook was coming closer and she could feel it even with her eyes closed. However she also noticed that he didn’t slow his step although he was coming even closer to her. The distance between them decreased until there was no space left between their faces.

Ji Hyo was surprised for a few seconds, but soon she realized she belonged there, in Jong Kook’s embrace. Slowly she closed her eyes, enjoying every moment she spent with him. Enjoying how it felt when their lips were touching each others’.

Jong Kook’s warm arms were surrounding Ji Hyo’s neck comfortably. His lips were pressed against hers and that felt so right. It reminded Ji Hyo of their first kiss on Jong Kook’s hometown. It was also raining that day. And it was also beautiful, just like today. The kiss really blew them away.

For a moment Ji Hyo forgot everything about their break up.

But then there was a loud sound of a car’s horn. It brought her back to the reality, the painful reality. Harshly she pushed Jong Kook away from her as she opened the taxi’s door. Jong Kook was startled with the change of behavior. He tried to grab Ji Hyo’s wrist but she already went into the cab. She coldy said something to the taxi driver. He didn’t hear it but he knew she was telling the old man to leave from there as soon as possible.

Jong Kook was paralyzed. He stood still, watching the cab left the gas station in rain. His shirt was wet and he wasn’t insusceptible to the cold air, but he didn’t bother to warm himself and get into the car.

Joong Ki watched his hyung from afar as he silently sighed, hoping that he didn’t witness the heartbreaking breakup. He didn’t know who was more pitiful, his hyung or his noona… or himself.

 


 

Things didn’t go well after the breakup. Jong Kook was a total mess. A night after the incident, he went alone to a bar. He wasn’t a big fan of soju, but during that time, he could drink as many as his stomach could hold. He sat on the corner where he usually sat. Well he rarely came to the bar, but he used to go there several times a few years ago. The bartender still remembered him too because he had gained popularity from doing Running Man show. But however, the young guy didn’t dare to say something to Jong Kook. From his behavior, he knew that his customer was having a big problem. It was shown in his eyes, dark and full of sorrow.

I’ve tried to call her several times. Maybe 20 or 30 times but she didn’t answer. Ji Hyo-yah, how could you do this to me? Can you see it? I’m falling to pieces here.

 Without being told, the bartender brought him a bottle of soju. However it wasn’t enough. He asked for more and after 3 bottles of soju he gave up. He couldn’t think anymore and his eyes felt heavy. Carefully Jong Kook placed his head on the table. His right ears could hear voices, like a conversation, but he couldn’t get what the people were saying. Reluctantly he tried to open his eyes only to find two guys were surrounding him. One of them was the bartender, and the other one he didn’t know. Without thinking further he closed his eyes back. They wouldn’t hurt him anyway.

“Yah….. it’s Kim Jong….. what should…..do?” He couldn’t understand the whole sentence so he tried to catch the words again.

“Call her………still got…. phone number…..?” The bartender asked the other guy animatedly.

Aish, listening to their conversation won’t bring me any good. I’m too tired… ah… head… dizzy…

 Jong Kook couldn’t hold it anymore. He fell asleep on the table without even worrying about other people and himself. The bar was almost closed and he really caused trouble there. The staff couldn’t go home until somebody picked him up. On the other hand, Jong Kook was enjoying his dream at that time. Being asleep really calmed his tired brain. Being drunk really healed his soul, for now.

After sleeping for about a half hour, he slowly gained consciousness. Vaguely he smelled a sweet scent of a woman. The scent really comfort him, it made him want to sleep again. But his ears caught a voice. The voice was calling him.

“…pa…Oppa..” Jong Kook tried hard to identify the owner of the voice, but he couldn’t remember anything. He just knew that he loved the voice very much.

“Ji Hyo-ah….” He tried to call out her name but his voice was so small that it only came out as a whisper.

There was a long interlude before the woman answered him.

“Oppa… let’s go home. It’s already midnight.”

“Ji Hyo-ah… Is it you Ji Hyo-ah?”

Jong Kook reluctantly opened his eyes as he tried to touch the person’s face. With his unclear sight, he could see a pair of beautiful eyes which stare vacantly at his. Affectionately he placed his right hand on her left cheek and sighed. This isn’t a dream right? This is real right?! She comes back! She comes back!! Jong Kook was really excited but he was too weak to show his excitement. He felt dizzy but he didn’t mind as long as his love came back.

“It’s you Ji Hyo….” Jong Kook smiled a weak smile. It seemed like the commander had surrendered. He admitted that he couldn’t live without the ace. He admitted that he loved his Ji Hyo very much.

“Ji Hyo… Yah Song Ji Hyo… My ace, Seong Im-ah… I thought I lost you.” Slowly he brought his face closer to hers and kissed her on the forehead. But Ji Hyo didn’t say anything. She looked sad and he could tell that from the way she acted.

“Why don’t you say anything, Ji Hyo-ah?” He stared straight on her eyes and again, brought his face closer to her. This time, his lips were almost touching hers. Once again he call out Ji Hyo’s name for the ninth times to make sure it was really her. Even with his eyes opened he still wasn’t sure that that wasn’t a dream. Slowly he pulled her closer, decreasing the distance between their lips.

But before their lips touched, the woman in front of him whispered painfully.

“Oppa, I’m Eun Hye.”

Jong Kook was speechless for a moment before he coldly pulled his face away from her. His heart suddenly beat faster than it should have been.  This can’t happen. This is wrong. His breath became uncontrollable. She is not Ji Hyo. She isn’t my Ji Hyo. He kept on telling himself something that he already known. He had fully gained his consciousness, but still his heart couldn’t stop racing.

 


A/N: Sorry for this short chapter. and sorry for not being able to update for a week (or maybe more). I'm so busy with school these 2 or maybe 3 weeks (or maybe a month), goodness the assignments are killing me! however, I hope you're fine with it :) and you really have to be fine with it because I'm currently trying to be fine with it too. Why don't you help me with my assignments? Hahahaha.... Sorry if I wrote random stuff here ^^

Sorry for the errors. They are purely my mistakes, I have no other excuses hehehe