The Sixteenth Room

About Us

Jong Kook and Joong Ki were the first to arrive at the meeting place. The PDs had not entered the room yet because it was still 6.30, however they were told to wait there. They sat next to each other awkwardly in the room, not knowing what to do. A half hour –or more— could be qualified as a long waiting time, considering the possibility that the meeting would be started around 7.15. Believe it or not, there’s always someone late in a meeting.

After waiting uncomfortably in the meeting room, they finally saw someone coming. From the glass door they could see a female walking closer. It was definitely Ji Hyo. And Jong Kook was not ready to face her in that kind of situation, in that room, and with only Joong Ki around.

“Annyeong Joong Ki-yah.” Ji Hyo greeted him right after she entered the room. She was facing Joong Ki and Jong Kook accepted the fact that she greeted the dongsaeng first. Hesitantly Ji Hyo turned her head to Jong Kook, bowed her head even more politely and let out an awkward greeting, “Hi Oppa…”

Jong Kook was hurt hearing those words came from her lips. It wasn’t exactly the words that were hurting him, it was the way she said them. He wanted her to speak to him animatedly like the way she used to. Now they were as far as strangers. They never talked to each other alone and they kept on avoiding eye contacts.

Honestly Jong Kook didn’t want them to be friends like they used to before the relationship. With so much going on between them throughout the year, he couldn’t imagine thinking her only as a friend. Even Kim Jong Kook couldn’t endure that kind of pain. How could he act normal if everytime he saw Ji Hyo’s eyes he was drowned in the time when there was the word “us” between them.

“Ah, Ji Hyo noona, do you know why they were calling us here today?” Joong Ki tried to break the icy silence between his hyung and his noona. Being trapped in that room with Ji Hyo and Jong Kook was really unpleasant. It was like being taken to a world where only awkwardness, silence, and hesitation existed. How he wished he could escape that situation.

“I don’t know too. PD-nim said the next episode will be different and it needed more preparation.” Ji Hyo took the seat next to Joong Ki so she wouldn’t have to face Jong Kook instead.

“I heard we’ll be having a special guest too and the PDs thought they should talk about it with us first.” Jong Kook added casually.

“What’s so special about this guest, oppa? They’ve never asked our opinion when it comes to guest stars.” Ji Hyo’s question was directed to Jong Kook. She even leaned forward to be able to face Jong Kook from where she sat.

“I don’t know too, maybe there’s something controversial about this person.”  Without realizing, Jong Kook answered her casually. It never came across his mind that he could be able to talk to her that calmly. For a moment he thought he had overcome his anxiousness but he was wrong.

There was silence again after the two noticed how casual they were to each other.

“Umm…. Where are the others?” Once again Joong Ki tried to save them all from the whole awkwardness. He wished he wasn’t in that room –or at least invisible. Geez why do I keep on getting stuck between these two? He rolled his eyes before taking a deep breath.

“I don’t know about the others but Gary oppa was on his way here. He’ll arrive in probably a few minutes.”

Just when she said that, Gary appeared on the door. He was startled to see Joong Ki sitting between Jong Kook and Ji Hyo, but he managed to control his thought. He greeted all of them, praising about how punctual they were and informing that Haha would be late for the meeting.

He took a seat in front of Jong Kook and stared at the three of them before letting out a chuckle.

“Joong Ki-yah. I can’t imagine how much suffering you have to take for being in the same room with these two stubborn kids.” Gary laughed again after stating what was in his mind.

The running man members knew everything that was going on. They were really opened about it and sometimes they would joke about how childish Ji Hyo and Jong Kook were. It was one of the members’ ideas of making them more comfortable and honest to each other. In return, both of them could only complain in embarrassment, accepting the truth without giving any effort to look for a solution.

Not long after Gary’s arrival, the other team members showed up and soon the meeting started. The PD began the meeting by retelling all the information they had received before, where and when the episode will took time and place. The PDs didn’t want to waste time by giving unimportant speeches. They went to the point instead. What Jong Kook predicted was right; the meeting got something to do with the guest star.

“We know that it was unusual for us to discuss the guest star with all of you, but this is an exception. We will be having Yoon Eun Hye-ssi with us.” One of the PD announced the news. He thought the members were going to make a huge fuss over it but he was wrong. They were all quiet, waiting for him to say something.

Jong Kook secretly swallowed hard, knowing the meeting was meant for him and Ji Hyo.

“We all know there was something going out between her and Jong Kook-ssi, and we also know there was something between Ji Hyo-ssi and Jong Kook-ssi. So we were having today’s meeting to discuss about that.”

“PD-nim, there’s nothing to discuss. I’ll definitely handle this professionally. I’m sure Ji Hyo-ssi will say the same thing too.” Jong Kook stated firmly as he tried to ask for Ji Ho’s approval.

“Yes PD-nim.” She nodded slowly, pleading the PD to trust her. It was probably one of the most embarrassing feelings, being doubted by their PD because of their past relationship.

“There has never been something between me and Eun Hye-ssi anyway.”

The other members were all quiet. They didn’t know what to say or what to do. They didn’t even understand why the PDs were doubting a thing like this. It didn’t make sense why that even considered as something worth a meeting. They do understand that it would be quite awkward, but they know Jong Kook and Ji Hyo would always act professional in front of cameras. They would do anything to hide any unpleasant feelings.

“Okay then. Please just keep this in your minds: Give the audiences what they need, not what you think they want. Don’t do something irrational and please act professionally.”

“We understand.” Jong Kook looked down, not being able to face the PD. He swore he wouldn’t disappoint them.

“Yah PD-nim, you don’t have to be that harsh. Those two never act unprofessionally.” Jae Suk spoke up for his dongsaeng. He also felt uneasy about the whole confrontation.

“Oh please do not misunderstand this. We are just trying to protect you two. If both of you don’t feel comfortable with Eun Hye-ssi becoming a guest, we will cancel the invitation before it’s too late. We just don’t want any of you to feel hurt or something. It is our job as PDs to make everything perfect in every episode. Of course we don’t want you guys to feel unhappy about it. Don’t get it wrong Jong Kook-ssi and Ji Hyo-ssi. We’ve never doubted you. Just do your best and please work out the things going on between the two of you.”  

All the members were relieved after hearing the PD. They were really pleased to have PDs like them, always caring and sensitive. However Jong Kook had to admit that the last sentence was somehow quite demanding. He was glad though that the PDs didn’t doubt his professionalism.

“Oh by the way, Joong Ki-ssi, you’re fine with the shooting place right?” the PD added, bringing all the attention to Joong Ki.

For a moment everyone was startled, not knowing anything about it. Joong Ki was surprised too. The PD is definitely talking about the incident. Why do they know it? I only told Kwang Soo and Jong Kook hyung—oh, he told the PD. That Kim Jong Kook couldn’t keep his mouth shut.

“Of course PD-nim, why am I not fine with it?” He said that rhetorically, slightly chuckling in hesitation as he tried to act like nothing was going on. He didn’t want the other members to know about the incidence. It’s something he wasn’t ready to tell the others.

“Don’t hide it Joong Ki-yah, Jong Kook had told me—“ If he had the courage, he would’ve rolled his eyes and said Yep I’m right. Jong Kook hyung spilled out the whole thing about my dark past, but he didn’t. Instead he kept himself quiet as the PD continued, “—that you once had a really awful date with a girl in a recreational forest.”

The room was suddenly filled with cheers of mocking from all the members but on the other hand Joong Ki felt really relieved that the PD had received false information.

 

 


 

 

The elevator stopped at the fourth floor. Eun Hye walked through the hallway and gradually slowing her step as she reached the sixteenth room on the left side. She took out her phone and read a text message, checking whether it matched the room number or not. Well, she was one hundred percent sure it was the right room because it was so noisy inside. After standing still with doubt for a few second, she finally chose to ring the bell. It took some time before someone finally opened it for her.

“Annyeong, noona. Please come in.” The person standing in front of her was really tall and friendly. Although she never met him in person before, his face was familiar to her since he was well known in the entertainment industry.

“Annyeong. Kwang Soo-yah, right?” She smiled as she walked into the room.

“Yes, noona. You look even prettier in person.” He blurted before making his own face red. Eun Hye chuckled seeing how the giraffe acted, just like how I’ve seen him on Running Man.

Kwang Soo led the young actress to the living room where all the other members had gathered. Just in a second Eun Hye found Jong Kook among the others. The elder man unconsciously turned his head away when their eyes met. It was hard to ignore, but Eun Hye chose to let it go and greeted everyone in the room.

 

Eun Hye was playing a game on her phone when it suddenly rang. There was a phone call going in from an unknown number. She thought twice before finally decided to take the call.

yeoboseyo. Eun Hye-ssi, this is Jae Suk from Running Man.”

“Ah, Jae Suk oppa, good evening.”

“Congratulations for being a guest in our show! We’re really expecting your appearance next week.”

“Thank you oppa. I’m really happy about that. I immediately said yes when my manager asked me about that.” Eun Hye admired Jae Suk’s friendliness. He was really suitable for the MC role.

“We’re the one who’s really happy about that, Eun Hye-ah. By the way, we are having dinner right now and we’re wondering if you want to drop by and eat with us. That will be very nice for us to get to know each other.”

“Oh… I—“ Eun Hye was hesitant for a moment, not sure if she wanted to meet Jong Kook after the last time she saw him. She was really captivated by the night when Jong Kook was drunk and they almost kissed.

“It’s okay if you’re busy, we’ll absolutely understand.”

“—No no, I’ll definitely come. I have nothing to do anyway.”

 

Knowing how Jong Kook behaved made here regret her decision a little. But she didn’t want to miss the opportunity to get to know all the running man members whom she will be working with. All of them were really nice and welcoming.

Since the last time she saw Jong Kook, she couldn’t get him out of her mind. She had fallen in love and she kept for falling even more deeply for him. Knowing that he had broken up with Ji Hyo made her even more eager to have him for herself. She was sad for them but she couldn’t help feeling relieved after knowing that she still had the chance to be with him.

Slowly but firmly she walked toward Jong Kook who pretended not to see her coming and read the newspaper instead.

“What are you reading oppa? Advertisement? You really are not good at avoiding people, Kim Jong Kook” Eun Hye started the conversation bluntly while Jong Kook could only tighten his grip on the paper when he realized he was reading the advertisement column.

“Oppa, about that night, please don’t be awkward. Let’s just forget that, okay?” She went straight to the point, making it harder for Jong Kook to respond.

“Umm… yeah let’s just forget that.”

Eun Hye noticed Jong Kook’s uncomfortable situation but she continued the conversation anyway. Just being able to have a conversation with the man she liked made her feel happy enough. But then she saw Ji Hyo staring sadly at Jong Kook.

 

 


 

 

Ji Hyo couldn’t get her eyes off of Jong Kook. She kept on watching every movement he made, not wanting to lose any sight of him. How she wished he was still hers. How she wished she could let go of him. How she wished he wasn’t talking to Eun Hye.

“Ji Hyo noona, let’s drink outside.” Joong Ki approached her with two bottles of beer in his hand.

“Huh? It must be cold outside.” She grumbled in disagreement, still wanting to observe Jong Kook.

“No big deal, I’ll give you my jacket.” The younger man placed his jacket around Ji Hyo’s body and led her to the balcony. She couldn’t resist the invitation since she had no other reason to reject it.

The cold wind slipped into the gap between the doors when they walked out to the balcony. Ji Hyo frowned a bit as she tried to adjust herself to the temperature outside. Joong Ki’s jacket could barely cover her from the cold.

“I’m sorry. It really is cold out here. Let’s just go back in.”

“No it’s okay. Let’s just be here for awhile, escaping all the noise Kwang Soo’s making. We can share the jacket.” Ji Hyo refused after seeing a bit of disappointment in her dongsaeng’s eyes.

Then the two of them sat there silently without anyone noticing –except Jong Kook.

 

 


A/N: Sorry if lately the chapters doesn't contain any important things, but I promise this one leads to something! By the way, your comments motivate me to write, so don't forget to leave some.

p.s. I just wrote another story called Catching Raindrops and you can consider that as a side story of Ji Hyo and Joong Ki from baaack before this Worth A Try and About Us.