The Twelveth Day

About Us

It was exactly at midnight when Ji Hyo suddenly woke up from her sleep. She was awake because she heard a loud sound from outside. Sleepily she looked around her bedroom; nothing was wrong. The only loud sound she heard was the sound of the rain, and it wasn’t the type of voice that could wake someone up.

Hesitantly she tried to close her eyes again, but she couldn’t. Even though nothing seemed to be wrong, Ji Hyo knew by heart that there was something out of place. She tightened her grip on the blanket, hoping that she could find more warmth by doing so.

Just before she tried to close her eyes again, a voice filled her mind.

“Ji Hyo-ah, oppa is here…. For you.”

Suddenly her eyes were wide opened. She knew that voice very well. She was dying to hear that voice.

My oppa…. Where are you now? Immediately Ji Hyo crawled to get out from her blanket. She felt cold as her feet touched the floor. Not aware that she was shivering, she put on a jacket and quickly ran to the front door. But Ji Hyo stopped right away when she noticed she was being a complete lunatic.

What am I doing?! Am I seriously thinking that Jong Kook oppa is here? That is ridiculous. It’s midnight and it’s raining. There’s no way he’s here right now. She placed her left hand on the door handle, hesitating whether to open it or not. There were some possibilities that Jong Kook were really there, but she knew it was pretty unbelievable.

To be honest, the ace really missed the commander. She missed him more than anything in the world. Despite the doubtful instinct, she knew if she opened the door there was nothing to lose. Slightly she turned the handle as she stared straight to the door. She had made up her mind and she felt sure about that. But then for a split second she lost her confidence.

No, no, no. This isn’t right. What I heard was just an illusion. It was just an imagination. I don’t believe in telepathy. There is no way he’s here. She suddenly turned her body, making her back faced the door. It was a frustrating decision for her. Some parts of her wanted to believe that he was there, in front of her house. But she was also afraid that he really was there. She was afraid to face the reality, the fact that she was still in love with him. However if she opened the damn door and Jong Kook wasn’t there, she knew she will be really disappointed.

Reluctantly she turned her head to face the door. With fear she slightly turned the handle. There opening door made a small cracking voice that creep Ji Hyo out. From the gap, the cold air burst in, making her frowned.

Carefully she peeked out from inside, checking if there was any sign of Jong Kook’s presence or not. But there was nothing outside. Somehow the loud sound of the rain was not there to be heard in the darkness. There was only emptiness in Ji Hyo’s heart.

She hoped it wasn’t real. She wished she just stayed on her bed.

She stood on the doorway, paralyzed by the fact that Jong Kook wasn’t there. You lied oppa. You’re not here. You’ve never been here. Without noticing, Ji Hyo’s trembled and she fell on her knees. She felt raindrops fell on her hair because of the strong wind. They made her body wet but she didn’t mind. At least the water could hide her tears.

Ji Hyo covered her face with her fingers. She gave her forehead a light massage, trying to at least ease the pain she felt on her head. Well actually, the pain was on her heart, deep down on her heart.

Oppa.. You said… you said you’re here. Where are you….

The more she thought about it the more she felt she was abandoned. It hurt her even more every time she memorized everything he had said to her before it was all over. With both eyes closed, Ji Hyo played back to the 12th day before they broke up. It happened a few days after the drunken Eun Hye’s confession.

 


 

“Ji Hyo-ah, yeoboseo.”

It was the first time I heard his voice trembling so bad that I knew he wasn’t okay. It felt like I was going to burst into tears hearing him suffering like that. I answered him caringly as if I knew what his problem was, although I didn’t. I just wanted to look understanding in front of him.

“Ne oppa, I’m here.” I answered to the phone.

There was a long gap before he finally said something again.

“Oppa had a bad dream about you, Ji Hyo-ah.”

That time I was the one who started to feel scared. I didn’t know why, I just thought I should be afraid, judging from the way he said it. I tried to be strong from him.

“What is it oppa? You can tell me.”

“You… you cried alone at the doorway. You’re waiting for me but… I didn’t come. I tried to reach out for you, but the faster I ran the farther the distance between us.” His voice slowly faded until there was nothing but silence between us.

For awhile I thought hard about it. I’m not the kind of person who believed in dreams. At first I thought he was being ridiculous and over thinking, but then I started to realize something more.  

“Oppa, calm down. It’s just a dream, let it go.” I hesitated when I said this, but I still said it anyway. It might help him to ease his worry.

“Of course I know it’s just a dream. I’m not thinking about it as some kind of sign or something. I’m just afraid that I’ve been doing that to you all this time. I’m afraid that I’ve been making you waiting and crying. I’m afraid of being a jerk.”

What Jong Kook oppa said hit me hard. That made me realize how much he loved me. How much he cared about me. He was the perfect guy for me. And I started to think that I’m not the perfect woman for him. I’m starting to doubt my own self. Being stab by that inconvenient truth, I gave him a short answer.

“You’re not a jerk, oppa.”

“About the Eun Hye thing, I’m still not sure you’re fine about it. And that time when I treated you like a guy in set... Goodness I’m a total jerk.” He grumbled before letting out a sigh.

“Ji Hyo-ah, are you sure oppa isn’t like that?” He doubtfully asked me.

“No oppa, you’re the most perfect guy on earth.” Silently I said to myself, “I’m the one who’s a jerk. I don’t deserve you oppa.”

 


 

 Jong Kook was startled. He never thought his dream would become a reality. He stood in the rain, watching Ji Hyo covering her face with both hands. From behind the fence, he could see clearly that she was crying. His heart broke into pieces when he noticed that the view he saw right there was a copy from the scene he saw in his dream.

He just arrived there but his heart was broken already. He didn’t know exactly why Ji Hyo was crying in the middle of the night, but somehow he knew it had something to do with him.

Thinking about the dream once again, Jong Kook wondered. In the dream, he tried to reach her but he couldn’t, what about this time?

Suddenly he remembered the thing he figured out in the car earlier after the incident. Ji Hyo was never mine to keep. That sentence kept on haunting him. For a moment he stayed at his position under the rain, shivering. He didn’t bother the cold air or the water, he kept thinking about what to do.

Then he chose to leave. He chose to stay out of Ji Hyo’s life forever.

With hesitation in his every step, he walked back to his car. Never came across his mind that he would go back without saying anything to the woman he loved the most. Never came across his mind that he would go back without seeing her beautiful eyes or hearing her cheerful voice. It never came across his mind that he would give up so easily.

“Oppa… saranghae”

Out of nowhere, the faint sound of Ji Hyo’s voice suddenly echoed through his vein. That sound was like Jong Kook’s drug. In a blink of an eye he changed his mind again. He was addicted to that voice and there was no way he would leave without hearing those words again.

Without even thinking, Jong Kook ran back to the house. He stopped in front of the fence to call her name.

“Ji Hyo-ah!!”

This time Jong Kook didn’t want to waste his chance. He harshly opened the unlocked fence and ran toward the door. He stood right in front of the younger woman who had not moved yet since the time he called her. Smiling sadly Jong Kook lowered his body by kneeling down.

“Ji Hyo-ah” He whispered her name next to her ear, making her surprised.

Hearing her name being called by a familiar voice made Ji Hyo frowned. Another illusion I must’ve gone mad. However, slowly she lifted her head, afraid of what she would see after she opened her eyes. She knew it was Jong Kook’s voice but she still couldn’t believe it. Many unanswered questions came across her mind in a split second, making her feel dizzy. But the fact that she was afraid of the reality didn’t hold her back from opening her eyes. When they were completely opened, all she could see was Jong Kook’s face in front of her.

Immediately Ji Hyo closed her eyes again, thinking that her imagination had gone really insane at that moment.

Then she felt something soft touched her forehead. Although it was cold, strangely she felt warmth. She felt like her whole world had stopped turning. She felt like dying but also living. Everything came in contradiction and it made Ji Hyo stunned. She felt alive.

But then the touch ended. The whole contradictive thing faded back into black. She felt numb. She felt like her life and her world were taken away from her. Slightly she opened her eyes again to find Jong Kook looking at her sadly.

The whole fantasy thing disappeared.

“Oppa…” nervously Ji Hyo looked down to avoid looking his eyes.

“We don’t need to pretend anymore, Ji Hyo-ah.”

He smiled as he put his fingers on her cheek, lifting her head up to face him. Ji Hyo recognized something in the way he looked at her. There were more than just pain and sadness. There were something darker than that, something more suffering.

But she also noticed something else; there was love in the way he spoke. There were feelings in the way he looked at her.  

“What do you mean by that?”

 Ji Hyo tried to keep cool as she spoke flatly. The further the distance the easier they managed to control their feeling, she assumed. She was the one who asked for breakup, it meant she didn’t love him anymore. Well, honestly she still loved him, but at least she pretended she didn’t.

“Stop acting. I know you still love me.” Firmly Jong Kook said as he reluctantly stood up, followed by Ji Hyo.

“No I’m not. That’s why I broke up with you.” One more time she avoided eye contact. And from that behavior Jong Kook knew surely that she was lying. It was all written on her face. Anybody could read her feeling like a book.

“Yes you are. You’re avoiding my eyes.”

“I’m not oppa.” This time Ji Hyo briefly stared straight into Jong Kook’s eyes before quickly looking at another direction blushingly.

“Aishh this ahjumma…” Frustratedly Jong Kook grumbled to himself before running his improvised plan.

In a split of second he grabbed Ji Hyo’s arm and pulled her away from the door. Before Ji Hyo could declare her disaproovement, rain had already fallen on her hair. It was cold and wet but she missed that feeling. For a moment her expression was blank as usual. When she realized she was standing in the rain, Jong Kook’s face was already a few centimeters away from hers.

He pulled her for a kiss, just like the one they had months ago—Just like their first kiss. It was also raining on the first time their lips met. It was a beautiful kiss, but the kiss they had now was far more beautiful than that. For a moment there were only the two of them in the world.

Jong Kook’s cold lips made Ji Hyo felt comfortable. She missed him so much that she felt she could die because of happiness right now. But she knew she shouldn’t die yet, she still had to feel his warmth longer. Slowly Jong Kook wrapped his arms around her body, making her felt shy.  

But somehow drawned in the feeling, Ji Hyo placed her arms around Jong Kook’s neck, making Jong Kook smiled a bit this time. He also missed her touch very much. He didn’t regret changing his mind before he left. 

 


A/N:  I'm not saying that they're getting back together. Keep that on your mind ^^

By the way, I'll be happy if I can get 10 comments again guys. Hmm I even consider not to update until I receive 50 comments *okay that's impossible*