The Second Problem

About Us

Jong Kook sat silently on his bed. He tried to figure out what Ji Hyo’s question meant. Everything was working out just fine. They were rarely getting into a lover fight and misunderstandings. Ji Hyo always tried to spend her spare time with Jong Kook beside her busy schedule. They often went on a date together, although they couldn’t be so obvious with their relationship. They hadn’t told public yet although they didn’t think that as a secret. The Running Man crews, including the VJs, PDs, and the stars knew about it. They really didn’t mind about it. They were being supportive.

 The commander couldn’t find any flaw in his relationship with the ace. They loved each other and he didn’t need to think twice about it. It was a fact and Jong Kook knew it well.

 Jong Kook’s parents loved Ji Hyo, so obviously it got nothing to do with Ji Hyo’s doubt. Well, he still didn’t know about Ji Hyo’s parents’ opinion, but it seemed that they were fine with it. About the Soya thing (which happened a long time ago),  Ji Hyo didn’t mind at all. Soya was Jong Kook’s niece so there was nothing to worry about. Jong Kook didn’t even think about her that way, it would be disgusting.

What’s going on? Is it really because I treated her harshly? She knew I’m always like that—to her. Yes I admit I behave nicely to female guests. But she knows why. There must be something. Something more than that…..

He tried to think harder but still he couldn’t find the answer. It was almost midnight and the air was colder. Jong Kook decided to sleep first and think about it later. He could use some help from his hyungs and dongsaengs. They were always there for him.

The thoughts about hyungs and dongsaengs made him remembered something. He slowly laid his head on his pillow and let out a small smile.

Joong Ki-ah will come to film a running man episode with us next week. At least that can light up my day. Yah that kid….

Jong Kook covered his body with a blanket and closed his eyes slowly. He must admit he really miss his dongsaeng. He could imagine himself hanging around with Joong Ki and Kwang Soo. It will be like going back to the past. Doing things we used to do together…..

 


 

Jong Kook gained his consciousness little by little. He heard an annoying sound of a ringing phone. Really, an early phone call?  He complained, thinking that it was barely 6 in the morning. He tried to cover his ears with his pillow but that didn’t work. He could still hear the loud sound filling his bedroom. Reluctantly Jong Kook opened his eyes, hoping that it wasn’t a prank call from his friend. But he changed his mind quickly after seeing the sunlight burst into his room. It wasn’t 6 in the morning, it was already 9 O’clock.

He jumped from his bed and grabbed his phone. Without looking the caller ID, he pressed the green button below.

“Annyeong”

“Jong Kook oppa, annyeong.” A cheerful tone of voice greeted him. He liked that voice. He liked it very much. But hearing it this time made him felt a little bit guilty. He still remembered about the thing last night. It wasn’t a kind of thing that could be forgotten so easily.

“Ji Hyo-ah, sorry it took me so long to answer your call. I just woke up.” He apologized sincerely, trying to treat her as nice as he could. This time he had to make sure he didn’t behave harshly to her.

“I don’t mind at all, oppa!” He could hear his girlfriend chuckled on the line. She continued, “Jong Kook oppa, do you want to drink coffee?” This time, Jong Kook was the one who chuckled. Typical Ji Hyo, Americano first thing in the morning.

“Sure. At the ‘Soya’ café?”

They had been using Soya’s name to call the café. They were actually pointing at the café where Ji Hyo saw Jong Kook with Soya. Since they started dating, they became a loyal customer to the café. It wasn’t just because the served good Americano, but it was because it somehow reminded them to their first misunderstanding. They thought of it not as a bad memory but as a good one. If it wasn’t because of the misunderstanding, they wouldn’t end up together anyway.

“Yup. I’m on my way now so you better be fast Kim Jong Kook.”

Jong Kook complained because Ji Hyo called after she left her house. She should’ve called him earlier before she left. But again, typical Ji Hyo. Jong Kook could only shake his head in disapproval but said yes anyway. Who could say no to someone like her?

 


 

“Oppa mianhe! I got stuck in the traffic jam.” Ji Hyo sat animatedly on a chair on the other side of the table. She wore a long sleeved shirt with a dark jeans and a cap. She looked beautiful even when she didn’t wear any make up.

Jong Kook gave her a sweet smile, letting her know that he was okay with that. He told her he had ordered Americano for her before she came. He handed Ji Hyo her favorite drink.

Aiish my oppa. He really knows how to make me happy. Look at that sweet smile! I can have that for my own. Ji Hyo stared at him continuously, not even listening to Jong Kook’s words. She didn’t remember anything from last night. It wasn’t a big surprise, drunken people are like that. There’s no exception for this particular person.

They talked about things and Jong Kook didn’t mention anything about the last night incident. He knew she didn’t remember that, judging from her good mood today. He was still worry about that though, but he just didn’t show that. Maybe she was just having a bad mood yesterday. There’s no big deal about that…. He tried to calm himself only to find that he didn’t manage to erase the thought from his mind. THERE IS a big deal!!! My girlfriend doubts our relationship. Even if she was unconscious, there must be something which triggers that.

After all, Jong Kook succeeded to hide his thought for a half hour of their conversation at the café. He almost told himself he had passed the hardest time for that day when someone came to their table. It wasn’t a waiter or a waitress. It was just an old friend. Too bad it wasn’t just an ordinary old friend. He used to like her. He used to like her sooooo bad that he chased for her desperately.

He used to play on a TV show with her. He was young at that time. He was just like Gary who didn’t know how to deal with the woman he liked. Jong Kook obviously showed his feelings to her in front of the audience during the filming. It created scandals everywhere. Some people thought it was just a joke for the TV show but actually it was real. At least for Jong Kook it was. The woman rejected him.

That was before he met his ex-girlfriend, who ended up marrying another guy a few months after they broke up.

No wonder Jong Kook was desperate about his love life. Luckily he got Ji Hyo now. He knew Ji Hyo could change anything. He knew Ji Hyo could change him. But still, fear crept into his mind. This was a test: a test to find out whether he still had feelings for his ‘old friend’ or not.

“Jong Kook oppa, long time no see.” She greeted him animatedly. Jong Kook turned his head up to face her, but he tried his best to avoid any eye contact with her. He was scared of her. He was scared of her pretty face that made him going crazy in the past. The scent, the sweet scent that he used to like was there again. He could smell it mixed with Ji Hyo’s scent.

“Annyeong.” He answered coldly. His guard was up. He could see Ji Hyo observing him with a blank face. Jong Kook turned his head back to look at Ji Hyo, seeking for help.

“Ah Ji Hyo unnie, good morning!” The woman noticed Ji Hyo’s present. She excitedly smiled to her and bowed.

Ji Hyo knew this woman very well. Not only she knew Jong Kook had feelings for her in the past, but she also had played with her in a drama before. It was a long time ago and friendship didn’t grow between them. She didn’t dislike her, but there were things coming between them. She didn’t really know what those things were; maybe they just didn’t fit each other.

 The ace tried her best to look professional in front of the woman. She didn’t know what made her behave like that; she just thought she should do that. She could see Jong Kook’s expression changed when he saw the woman. It wasn’t a happy expression or a sad expression. There were fears in his eyes.

Jong Kook oppa doesn’t seem comfortable with her. Probably because the past scandals. What should I do?! Ji Hyo mind was blank for a few seconds but she tried to think how to deal with these kinds of moments.

“Eun Hye-ah… good morning.” Ji Hyo tried her best to sound friendly to her.

 


A/N: sorry I wrote this in a rush. I'm being unprofessional, again...