The Twenty Ninth Nevermind

About Us

PREVIOUS EPISODE

[Running Man Filming in Saneum Recreational Forest made Joong Ki fell sick upon remembering his sister’s death that took place also in a forest. Meanwhile Ji Hyo was angry after seeing Jong Kook and Eun Hye having a great time together. She headed to the woods to avoid the other team. After Joong Ki recovered from his sickness, he found that Jong kook and Eun Hye had been ousted. It was getting dark in the forest when they received news that Ji Hyo is separated from her VJ. Joong Ki quickly entered the forest to find her. Jong Kook tried to follow him but was stopped by Eun Hye who told him to give Joong Ki a chance to win Ji Hyo’s heart. But she then realize that Jong Kook really loved Ji Hyo so she let him go by saying that everybody deserves a chance.]

 “VJ OPPAAAA!!!” One last loud scream for the day, she thought.

Running out of energy, she sat on the ground. Surprised by the wet and cold earth, she clenched her teeth as she felt her jeans absorbing the water.

I can’t take it no more. She thought, inhaling deeply and closing her eyes.

Scary sounds of owls and bats started to echo among the tall trees. Ji Hyo knew she shouldn’t be scared of them but in the end she couldn’t help but bit her lips to hold her crying. Helplessly she brought her legs closer to her chest and hid her face between her knees. After that, it became harder to prevent the tears from falling. It’s okay, Song Ji Hyo you can cry! No one’s watching so it’s fine!

She stayed at her position for awhile. Her back hurt but she felt numb. The fear was more painful that her tired legs and thirsty throat. If only he could come. If only he’s here with me. She tried her best to block herself from the outside world for it was more convenient. Not hearing those animals howling was better.

Busy crying, Ji Hyo didn’t hear her someone coming nearer.  The footsteps grew closer and it finally reached her.

“I’ve been calling out your name 27th time so can you at least answer this time?”

Not sure if the voice was coming from inside her head or not, she slowly lifted up her face to find a heavenly smile given to her. Warm and loving, those lips whispered her name.

“Song Ji Hyo.”

She still couldn’t answer though. The only thing she was capable of doing then was to bite her lips even harder and cried with all her might.

 

 

Ji Hyo woke up to find herself in a hospital room. She could hear the sound of raindrops outside. Next to her was a small table filled with flowers, boxes of chocolate, and cards.  She tried to reach her phone on the table and read the messages she had received. All of the messages were asking about her condition and wishing her to get well. How long have I been here? Ji Hyo browsed herself on the internet and found a news about her incident at the filming. Damn, I created a scene.

Suddenly the door to her room was opened.

“Ji Hyo-ya!” Jong Kook, who just came in, was surprised to find her awoke.  

“Oppa, you’re here.” She quickly sat on her bed and fixed her hair.

“Hmm yeah, I went out to buy some water.” He smiled warmly. Standing still in front of the door, he seemed so awkward around her.

“Went out?”

Ji Hyo then realized something. On the sofa in the corner of the room lay a blanket and an empty cup of instant noodles.

“You stayed the night?”

“Yeah.” He averted his stare and headed toward the sofa.

“Since when?”

“You were brought here yesterday after you passed out in the woods. So it’s only been a night.”

Jong Kook threw himself on the sofa tiredly.

“Jae Suk and the guys visited this morning, but they didn’t want to wake you up so they left flowers and cards. The PDs are downstairs being interviewed by the press. Don’t worry, it’s not that bad.”

“Hmm” Ji Hyo was confused with the whole situation.

“Are you alright?”

“I—I’m fine. I just still can’t figure out what happened.”

“Well, yesterday you were lost in the woods after parting with the VJ. When we found you, you were already passed out and were in a really bad condition. The PDs then quickly brought you here.”   

“What about the game?”

“Yah Ji Hyo-ya, can you worry about your health for a little bit?”

“No—I mean, did I ruin it?” Ji Hyo looked concerned.

“Well, not really. Jae Suk’s team won. It turns out he already found the key. Today’s filming is delayed. The weather’s too bad for taking any scene. Everyone’s at the hotel now.”

“So why are you here, Jong Kook oppa?”

Jong Kook thought for a second. He tried to find the right words but couldn’t find a single clue on how to bring it into a sentence. There was a silence before the door opened for the second time. Joong Ki walked in with a bouquet of flowers in his hand.

“Sorry, did I disturb something?” The boy doubtfully entered the room.

“Joong Ki-ya! Come here!! You look so much better than yesterday!” Ji Hyo recalled the incident the day before when Joong Ki fell sick.

“Yeah, I guess we switched places noona.” Joong Ki let out a weak laughter and headed towards the table to place the flowers he brought.

“Joong Ki-ya, take a seat here.” Jong Kook gave the younger man a space beside him on the sofa.

“Thanks hyung, but I’m just paying a short visit here.”

“Why so fast Joong Ki-ya?” There was a slight disappointment in Ji Hyo’s voice.

“Well I still need to take a little rest. I haven’t completely recovered.” He took a stand beside Ji Hyo’s bed and peeked at Ji Hyo’s phone. “Yah noona, stop looking at news! You might get wrong info. Just ask us if you have any questions about the incident.”

“Ya! Stop looking at my phone!” Ji Hyo pushed Joong Ki’s face gently with her hand and laughed. It was her first genuine laughter that day, and the scene caught Jong Kook’s attention.

“Anyway, you’re so lucky noona. Jong Kook Hyung found you just in time yesterday. Who knows what would happen if he was a little late. He ran and panicked a lot noona, for you.” He smiled politely at Jong Kook and nodded to him as if he was thankful himself.

There was a slight surprise in Jong Kook’s face, but it was quickly washed away by Ji Hyo’s words.

“Really, oppa?” Ji Hyo’s voice was sweet, too sweet that Jong Kook didn’t even have the strength to respond to it.

Song Ji Hyo’s eyes were full of questions and hopes. So it was Jong Kook who found me yesterday. The smile was his. And the voice calling my name was his. As if the world was spinning faster, Ji Hyo found herself reminiscing the scene in the woods. She tried to remember how it felt to be hold by his arms and how it felt to be loved so much that it hurts.  

Reading the situation, Joong Ki quickly excused himself. “I should be going now. Hope you get strong enough to join tomorrow’s filming noona.” He didn’t get any response from Ji Hyo. She was too busy with her own mind.

Staring at Ji Hyo, Joong Ki knew he had no chance with the woman before him. Her gaze was fixed at Jong Kook, and at that moment Joong Ki was no one to her. The youngest quickly got out from the room only to find himself paralyzed on the other side of the door. All his effort to get her attention all this time had become a waste. Behind the closed door were Ji Hyo and Jong Kook slowly falling in love again.

Song Joong Ki tried to walk further from the hospital room. The more he took a step the more he felt like he was falling. The time had come, the time when he realized he had to leave behind the love he kept for years. It wasn’t fair and it had never been fair for him. But love was not something you can plan on. Some people got lucky with their love, Joong Ki just wasn’t one of them.

Feeling his feet numb, he struggled to walk. Leaning his body on the wall, he took a moment to cry.

“Hey don’t be too sad.”

Joong Ki knew that voice well, it was Eun Hye’s. She was waiting outside the whole time, listening to what happened inside the room. Joong Ki had asked her to come with him to visit Ji Hyo but she had decided to wait outside.

“You’re the one who made the choice. Don’t regret it.” Her tone of voice wasn’t cold, it was a tone of surrender.  

“Yeah, I envy you noona, for being so calm. I’m such a crybaby.”

“I’m not being calm. I’m giving up. I actually admire you for being so brave and kind.”

“I’m not brave and kind, I’m just pathetic.”

 


 

The hospital room was quiet after Joong Ki left. The more Ji Hyo looked at Jong Kook, the more she wanted him to come closer. Now everything made sense; why he stayed the night, why he seemed so awkward, and why Joong Ki kept a distance. The winner was decided, and it was Jong Kook. He won her heart—her whole heart.

Ji Hyo remembered clearly, how it felt to be found. The last smile she had seen before she had completely passed out was the most beautiful smile she had ever seen.

“Oppa, come.”

Jong Kook was weak to Ji Hyo’s call. He stood up from the sofa and went to sit on the chair next to her bed.

“I—I have tons of questions.” Ji Hyo said doubtfully.

“I know. I’m sorry.”

“Sorry for what?”

“For confusing you with the whole Eun Hye thing.”

The two stared at each other intensely, as if words are not enough. It was scary for both of them to admit that they were falling in love again with each other in the speed of a falling raindrop. None of them knew what to say, as if the wronging they had done to one another was erased with a voiceless conversation.

 “I miss you, oppa.”

“I’ve long forgotten how it felt not to miss you Ji Hyo-ya.”

There he was. The Jong Kook Oppa I know. The long awaiting moment made Ji Hyo felt dizzy. It was as if the world is spinning faster and faster. Jong Kook’s stare made her blood rushed to her face, making her blushed. It was a feeling she hadn’t felt for a long time.

“Could I—?” Jong Kook doubtfully asked as he got closer to her.

“Do you need to ask?”

Jong Kook’s face came clearer to her. The gravity was taking its force to pull them closer until their lips were just an inch away. As they drew closer, Ji Hyo could smell Jong Kook’s scent, a scent that she couldn’t forget. The moment was familiar. Once they grew any closer, there was no going back.

The kiss is voiceless.

The touch of lips was surprisingly comfortable.

And with that kiss, came a hope that rises high, a hope that the happiness would last as long as they were together. The kiss was simple and sweet. After a few seconds they both pulled back to find each other smiling.

Jong Kook oppa’s smile is warm, just like the one Joong Ki gave me.

Then it struck her like a lightning: the fact that she couldn’t stop thinking about Joong Ki.

 


 

The days are getting harder and harder for Joong Ki.

Ji Hyo got better quickly; there was nothing serious at the first place. That night she got out from the hospital and the next day she joined filming. It was obvious that Jong Kook and Ji Hyo were back together. They stuck to each other like two lovebirds. Sometimes Ji Hyo would give a smile to Joong Ki, but it was nothing more than a friendly smile.

It killed him badly to saw them together. The more he tried to forget his past love, the more he ended up thinking about her. He caught them holding hands one time during filming.  In front of the camera it only looked like an unintentional handhold that they used to have during name tag game, but in front of Joong Ki it definitely looked like lovers’ handhold.

The whole situation made Joong Ki lost focus. He often drifted away during games and Kwang Soo noticed the changes in his bestfriend.

“Joong Ki.” Kwang Soo called him during lunch break.

Joong Ki raised his eyebrows as a response to him.

“You don’t look good.”

“It’s fine Kwang Soo-ya. I’m just tired. I guess I haven’t fully recovered.”

“Liar.” Kwang Soo said jokingly, but the continued with more serious look on his face. “It looks like the get back together. What did you actually say to her yesterday?”

“Nevermind, my soup is getting cold.” Joong Ki spooned his soup and ate deliciously as if nothing bothers him.

“Yah, tell me!” Kwang Soo forcefully stopped Joong Ki from eating.

“AAARGH! Damn it Kwang Soo!” Joong Ki’s anger didn’t last long. He turned sad a moment later. “I’m such a fool. The more I tried to forget about her the more I think about what happened in the forest.” He pathetically laid his head on the table next to his bowl of soup.  

“I wonder what kind of conversation you had with Jong Kook that night after you found her.” Kwang Soo also laid his head on the table, facing his friend with a concerned look.

“Nothing, nevermind. Your soup is getting colder.”

With the 29th time he said nevermind to himself, Joong Ki brushed off his thought of telling the whole thing to Kwang Soo.

 


A/N : Sorry for not updating almost a year, i have no excuse for that. I just found it hard to write and so i stopped. But here I am, with a short chapter and a lot of error. I'm not sure you're still reading my story, so if you are, please leave a comment >_<