The Eighth Car

About Us

The light was off and the audiences started to cheer. However, Eun Hye just sat uncomfortably on her seat. She regretted her decision to come to Jong Kook’s show. Well it was actually a collaboration show, so there would be other singers too. But Jong Kook was the reason why she was there. What was she thinking in the first place anyway?

The drunk call was obviously a mistake although she didn’t know what she said at that night. However she knew she said something wrong which made Jong Kook felt uncomfortable around her. Eun Hye wanted to ask Ji Hyo or Jong Kook about it but she was too shy. She remembered clearly what Ji Hyo said that morning when she called her to ask for explanation, “I really don’t want to tell you about what did you say last night it because it will definitely make you feel awkward around Jong Kook oppa.” Eun Hye repeated the sentence over and over again in her head. She knew she said something embarrassing that night. So embarrassing that Ji Hyo didn’t want to tell her what it was.

Eun Hye closed his eyes tightly as she took a deep breath. Reminiscing that night made her heart pounded. She could hear the cheering sound around her went wilder so reluctantly she opened her eyes again only to found Jong Kook was already standing on the center of the stage. He looked happy just as usual.

 It never crossed Eun Hye’s mind that she would watch Jong Kook performed from where she sat.  She used to be there, at the side of the stage, not here…. She didn’t belong here. She didn’t belong at the audience seat. Honestly she wished Jong Kook still had a crush on her. She regretted her choice in the past. How could she turn him down like that? That question seemed to appear in her brain lately.

Jong Kook started to sing his first song. The audience once again screamed wildly in excitement. However she just stared at the stage vacantly, paralyzed by Jong Kook’s sweet voice. How she wished Jong Kook sang for her… But he didn’t. Jong Kook sincerely sang for Ji Hyo.

Eun Hye admitted she used to play with Jong Kook’s feeling. She knew the older man felt something for her but she stayed quiet yet flirty at the same time. She didn’t think the young Jong Kook would confess his feelings for her within just a couple of months later. It was hard to say but young Eun Hye used to like him too. But it was a teenage crush, nothing more. She easily forgot Jong Kook after they were apart.

 On the contrary, she couldn’t forget Jong Kook ever since they met at the café that morning. She thought she had nothing for him, but seeing him with Ji Hyo really made her jealous. From then she knew she still had feelings for him, although she wasn’t sure what kind of feelings were those. So here she was, trying to figure out what was in her heart. She thought she could get the answer by hearing Jong Kook sing, but she was wrong. She got butterflies in her stomach and that made everything even worse.

I knew these feelings. It seems so familiar. But what is it? The question echoed in her mind as she placed her hands on her stomach, trying to hide her strange behavior.

As soon as Jong Kook stopped singing and headed to the backstage, Eun Hye stood from her seat and left the show to follow him from a different way. She should’ve felt happy or touched –because she usually did after she heard Jong Kook sang—but this time it was different. She felt like she could burst into tears right after she went out of the emergency exit. She felt warm but also cold. She felt lonely but also felt… loved. Jong Kook’s voice contained his feelings for Ji Hyo. It emotionally affected Eun Hye. How she wished Ji Hyo and Jong Kook weren’t together. The feeling of being loved was just an illusion, and that hurt her even more.

I get it. I get it now… She repeated as she walked weakly through the hallway backstage, following wherever her feet were taking her. It turned out that she was heading to Jong Kook’s dressing room.  Some security guards saw her walking to their direction but instead of stopping her, they greeted Eun Hye and let her pass them. Eun Hye greeted back casually though, she knew the guards let her in because she was a celebrity. Well, people knew Eun Hye and Jong Kook had ‘something’ in the past, why would they forbid her for visiting her ‘ex-boyfriend’?

I get it… I get it. Still she repeated the words as she walked closer to the door. I get it. I messed up. I rejected him. I regret it. I regret it because I’m in love with him. She swallowed hard. I used to be the lucky girl who got all the attention in Princess Hours. People loved me and my character. They hated Ji Hyo unnie, and they hated her even more when they knew she dated Ji Hoon oppa. She swallowed again and held her breath as long as she could to prevent herself from crying. People hated Hyo Rin because she loved the prince. She did nothing wrong, but yet she was blamed for everything. I’m the Hyo Rin now. I’m doing a crime just because I’m in love with Jong Kook oppa…..

She stood still in front of the dressing room door, waiting for the right time to knock her door. But there was no right time anymore. There would be no right time, unless Jong Kook broke up with Ji Hyo. And bad intentions never crossed her mind. She would never ever try to ruin her oppa and unnie’s relationship. Sadly she touched the writing on the wall which said “Kim Jong Kook”. She loved how that name sounded. She loved saying that name.

However she took a step back slowly, wanting to leave the place forever. Wanting to leave these all behind and tried to find the right man for her. But life wasn’t that simple and she realized that because the door in front of her was slowly opened.

“Eun Hye-ah?” The man inside called her name in disbelief.

“Oppa….”

The two ended up having an awkward conversation in the room. They were randomly talking about works and weather, obviously a standard conversation. They were running out of topic and that was the time when Jong Kook’s phone rang. He took it out of his pocket and saw a text message from Ji Hyo asking when would his show end. He replied it quickly, telling her that he had finished his performance and was going to pick her up at Kwang Soo’s place later. Silently Eun Hye observed Jong Kook’s phone and realized something.

“Oppa! my phone looks exactly just like that!” She exclaimed as she put out her phone from her handbag and placed it on a small table beside them. Jong Kook frowned as he took a deep look at Eun Hye’s phone and then turned to look at his.

“Ah yes, it’s the exact same type.” He laughed politely as he put his phone on the table too, right beside Eun Hye’s.

 They continued talking, but this time it was a little less awkward. Eun Hye definitely knew that Jong Kook wasn’t comfortable talking to her. She assumed it was due to the misunderstanding they had on the phone. Jong Kook mentioned nothing about it so she supposed he didn’t want to talk about it. He hasn’t forgotten it, but it is clear that he has forgiven me. That’s an improvement. That little fact made her feel proud of herself.

“Eun Hye-ah, I guess I should leave now. Ji Hyo’s waiting for me.” He said politely as he looked at his watch.

“Okay oppa, take care then.” She grabbed her phone on the table and put it in her handbag, not noticing that she took the wrong one.

 


 

“I guess she mistakenly took my phone.” Jong Kook explained the whole story about how she met Eun Hye in front of his door. “But I remember I already placed my phone in my pocket.” He checked his leather jacket’s pocket and found something inside it. “Yup I placed a phone in my pocket. Unfortunately it isn’t mine.” He said cynically as he the phone’s screen.

“Yah hyung, how can you be that clumsy??” Joong Ki scolded him. He was frustrated himself.

“Yah, you are also clumsy! I won’t forgive you that easily for pushing me earlier. You’re dead Song Joong Ki.” He stared at him dejectedly.

“Sorry hyung I wouldn’t do that if I knew it is just a misunderstanding.” The younger man looked down, embarrassed of his own action.

“Nevermind. I’m going to get my phone back. Are you coming with me or not?” He said as he headed to his car halfheartedly.

“Of course hyung!! Wait up!”

Jong Kook started up the car engine as soon as Joong Ki sat on the passenger seat. He couldn’t blame anyone because he knew Eun Hye would never take his phone intentionally. It was somehow his fault too for not checking the phone before he left. Now it was going to be a total mess if Eun Hye answered Ji Hyo’s call.

“Hyung I still don’t understand. Eun Hye-ssi could’ve called you to inform that she has the wrong phone. Why didn’t she do it? She didn’t sound surprised too when she answered my call. I mean, she should’ve been startled when she noticed that she got the wrong phone.” Joong Ki explained his thoughts to the guy sitting next to him.

“That is acceptable. It’s an old phone. I’ve been bothered lately because it can’t make any phone call. Sometimes it even has troubles with receiving phone calls. That rubbish really needs to be thrown away.” Jong Kook’s patience almost reached its limit.

“What about texts? She could text you.” Joong Ki asked again. He still wasn’t satisfied with Jong Kook’s answer.

“Same case. Can’t text too sometimes.”

“Well, she can borrow her friend’s phone.”

“She came alone.”

“What about stranger’s phone?”

“Yahh Joong Ki-ah, stop it. You can’t just borrow someone’s phone like that!” The elder man lost his patience as soon as he heard Joong Ki’s irrational question. “Now use Eun Hye’s phone to call mine, and tell her to ignore Ji Hyo’s call. Asked her where she is because I’m not sure she’s still watching the show.” He gave Eun Hye’s phone to Joong Ki without letting his eyes off the street.

“Yes hyung.” He pouted as he reluctantly searched for Jong Kook’s number in Eun Hye’s phone.

 Luckily Eun Hye answered the phone quickly. Joong Ki talked to her politely and came to a conclusion that she was on her way home. They planned a meeting at a gas station near. As soon as the flower boy hung up the phone, he smiled widely at his hyung, “It’s all done hyung!” Both of them exhaled in relief and continued the drive in silence. There was nothing left to say. That day was pretty tiring for all of them and there was no way something else would go wrong.

 Eun Hye came to the meeting place about 5 minutes after Jong Kook and Joong Ki’s arrival. She informed the two guys that Ji Hyo didn’t call at all. After that she continuously apologized to Jong Kook. Joong Ki was only looking from inside the car but Eun Hye’s sincere apology really changed his opinion about her. She was just a naïve girl, he thought.

Basically, everything went well. Except for one thing: the fact that Ji Hyo was observing them from afar.

 


 

Ji Hyo was stuck at the gas station for about 15 minutes. There was something wrong with the taxi’s engine. It wouldn’t start. The old and friendly taxi driver had told her to look for another cab because it might take a half hour but she insisted to wait. He looked really tired and she was sorry for him. He told her earlier that he needed money because his wife was sick. Ji Hyo was his last customer and it meant she was the last chance for him to get more money for that day. No way, there was no way she was going to leave the old man.

 She vacantly stared outside while she was waiting inside the car. She observed every little thing that was happening at the gas station. Cars went in and went out. She counted each car that went in. The first one was a mercedes and it was dirty. The second one was a small volkswagen and it was a coupe. It was cool and obviously expensive. No cars attracted her though, until the eighth car went in. It was parked a few meters away from the taxi she was in. She swore she knew that car well. It was Jong Kook’s.

She saw Jong Kook got out of the car. He looked like he was waiting for someone, so she kept on observing and somehow—she didn’t know why—hiding behind the driver seat. A few minutes later her unspoken question was answered. It was Eun Hye whom they were waiting for. Her heart immediately raced faster as she watched the young woman heading toward her boyfriend.

They are exchanging phone?? What for??? Whatever the reason was, she knew she was unhappy about it.

Right after Eun Hye left, Ji Hyo got out from the cab and walked fast toward Jong Kook. The man was still standing in front of the car, busily checking out his phone. However he noticed a figure was walking to his direction so he lifted up his head and saw Ji Hyo standing there and looking at him angrily.

“Tell me the truth.” The tough woman said firmly, not wanting to hear any apology from Jong Kook. She just wanted an explanation. Her oppa understood that well. He was confused for a moment but then smoothly explained to her what had happened. Jong Kook wished he could’ve skip the part where Joong Ki pushed him, but that would make the story incomplete. At that time, Joong Ki who was only dare to watch from inside finally came out from the car and smiled sadly at her noona. He could only testified Jong Kook’s statement at the end of the explanation.

“Jong Kook hyung is telling the truth noona.” Firmly he said with a low voice. He couldn’t bear seeing his noona’s face after lying to her.

Ji Hyo however said nothing. She was really confused. She believed Jong Kook’s story one hundred persent.  But still, that changed nothing. She still had doubts in her mind. She didn’t doubt him now though, she doubted herself. She realized that nothing was wrong with Jong Kook and the relationship itself. She was the wrong one. She was the one who ruined their relationship and she couldn’t take it anymore.  Some parts of her wanted to stay with Jong Kook forever but her mind was telling her that the relationship couldn’t go any further. She could only hurt Jong Kook if she kept on suspecting every little thing.

“I know Joong Ki-ah, I know.” She looked down, staring at her converse.

“Do you forgive oppa, Ji Hyo-ah?” Jong Kook gently touched Ji Hyo’s hand, intertwining his own fingers with hers.

“Oppa…. You’ve done nothing wrong.”

“I’ve done everything wrongly Ji Hyo-ah. I should’ve—“

“Oppa, it’s not your fault.” She suddenly looked directly to Jong Kook’s eyes, making the man felt so small in front of her. The pair of eyes was really beautiful and that captured Jong Kook’s heart every time he saw it. He smiled at Ji Hyo’s statement, thinking that she already forgive him. But then that smile was fading right after Ji Hyo said something.

“We can’t stay like this oppa. You maybe think that you’re hurting me, but I’m actually the one who is hurting you—“

“Miss, the engine has started!!!” Suddenly the taxi driver called her.  Jong Kook looked at the source of the sound and noticed that it was Ji Hyo whom the stranger was calling. Ji Hyo looked at the old man and did a little hand movement, asking him to wait a little bit longer. Then she turned back to look at Jong Kook.

“I want to break up with you oppa.”

That was the moment when the world changed. It felt like there would never be sunrise anymore in the world. Maybe stars still existed, but Jong Kook couldn’t see it. Maybe colors were still there, but Jong Kook thought he was color-blind. Nothing could heal him. Nothing.

 He tried to speak but his voice couldn’t be heard. Unclearly he heard Joong Ki calling after Ji Hyo who was walking away from him now. Jong Kook saw it. Tears were streaming down Ji Hyo’s face. Jong Kook felt it. Tears were also streaming down his face. Ji Hyo-ah… Seong Im-ah… He tried to call her but no voice came out, just like before.

 


A/N: Aaaah finally!!! I'm not really satisfied with the break up. The reason why they break up is somehow irrational, but well... Ji Hyo's emotional was unstable so please be understanding hahahaha....

Anyway I drew Joong Ki! The quality of the photo is bad (forgive my phone camera) and that wasn't really look like him but whatever. Tell me what you think about it!

P.s. Sorry about the errors :)