The Twenty First Drop of Rain

About Us

“Yeoboseyo?” Jong Kook’s voice echoed through the room, making Ji Hyo and Kwang Soo’s hearts beat faster. They both stared at the phone with their mouth agape. None of them dared to let out a single sound.

“…. yeoboseyo?” Once again Jong Kook’s voice was heard. But there was no answer.

“Ji Hyo-yah, are you there?” The tone showed that the man was quite nervous and confuse. Kwang Soo, who couldn’t stand hearing the commander’s hesitant voice, made a strange gesture with his long hands, forcing Ji Hyo to answer it. Although she had refused it, she knew she couldn’t avoid Jong Kook forever. With a reluctance written on her face, she spoke to the phone.

“Yes oppa, I’m here. What’s wrong?” She tried to keep her breathe low.

“Ugh… Here’s the thing, I need to ask you a favor.”

Hearing his desperate voice, Ji Hyo’s expression changed drastically, making Kwang Soo curious. He whispered to her animatedly, “Put it on the speaker mode noona!!” Predictably Ji Hyo stared at the giraffe sternly to make him quiet.

“What is it oppa?” She answered calmly although her mind was full of thunderstorm.

“Umm…. About our breakup, you know… I… haven’t told my parents about it. And I…” He stopped, leaving the sentence undone.

“Oppa, what does it have to do with me?” It was clear that Ji Hyo was annoyed

“Well it has a lot to do with you actually.” Instead of going straight to the point, Jong Kook stopped awkwardly. He really thought it wasn’t a good idea and he didn’t know how to convince Ji Hyo to come with him. Gosh, this is so absurd!

“Okay, so what do you want me to do?”

“Well… today is my eomma’s birthday and she wants me to visit her—“

“—once again, what does it have to do with me?”

“Please let oppa finish the sentence first.” Bluntly he said, showing his frustration to the woman on the line. Jong Kook bit his lips in regret. He shouldn’t have called her. I didn’t go well as expected. The phone call will definitely end with me getting nothing but shame.

“Okay, sorry, just go on.” She answered flatly.

“Eomma wants you to go with me. Just for a day, Ji Hyo-yah. We don’t have to spend a night there. We can go back to Seoul tonight. Just for today, Ji Hyo-yah. Just for this time only.  Can you help oppa?”

Honestly Ji Hyo could imagine Jong Kook pleading on her knees right now. Even his voice sounded so miserable through phone. There was no way she could refuse that voice. But there was no way she could accept it either. If the pleading came before Joong Ki’s confession, she would certainly help Jong Kook. But things had turned so complicated now. She had made a promise to herself that she would love Joong Ki back, but somehow her feelings for Jong Kook was still there, hiding to be found.

“Ji Hyo-yah? Please?” Jong Kook demanded for her answer. 

Ji Hyo was not ready to answer it yet. She wanted some time to think but seeing Kwang Soo staring at her made her felt uncomfortable. Kwang Soo was Joong Ki’s friend after all, she couldn’t have the conversation there. Quickly she went to the bathroom, followed by the tall dongsaeng who was obviously locked outside.

“Well, oppa…. I really want to help, but—“

“—it’s fine. I knew you’d say no.” Jong Kook’s deep sigh made Ji Hyo’s breath uncontrollable. She held the phone slightly away from her so the man couldn’t hear her heavy breathing.

 “Anyway, thanks for picking up my phone Ji Hyo-yah. That’s really nice of you.” He said sincerely.

“Wait oppa! I didn’t say no.”

 


 

The two ended up sitting in Jong Kook’s car in an awkward atmosphere. He just arrived at Kwang Soo’s apartment awhile ago and picked Ji Hyo up in front of the building. Ji Hyo didn’t tell Kwang Soo anything about the content of the phone call, worried that he might tell Joong Ki about it. The tall guy asked her so many times, he even almost followed her to the lobby. Luckily she managed to get away with some fake excuses.

“Ji Hyo-yah, thanks again for helping me. This means so much to me and my eomma.” He said without taking his eyes off the road.

“I do this for your eomma, not for you, okay?” She casually lied.

“I understand. But I’m still very thankful for that.” He said again, still focusing on the driving wheel.

“Anyway, I just want to make this clear oppa. I won’t get back with you. I know you heard the whole thing last night. I know I indirectly said that I still loved you, but please don’t take it as a confession.”

Jong Kook was surprised to hear her saying that. He didn’t expect her to say something so honest and blunt. He didn’t even know that Ji Hyo knew he knew about it. It was getting even more complicate and confusing that things that were supposed to be unknown turned out to be public secrets.

“What are you trying to say exactly, Ji Hyo yah? Why are you telling me this?”

“I’m still in love with you, but I feel something for Joong Ki too. So please don’t be mad at him or me. I’m going to give him a chance.” She said in a low voice, afraid that Jong Kook might be hurt.

“I understand. I’ll keep a distance.” He gave her a quick glance and let out a helpless smile, knowing that she wasn’t his anymore. There was nothing he could do to change that. Ji Hyo had said it herself that she didn’t want to be in a relationship with him anymore. He thought he was ready for this but he was wrong. Secretly he bit his lips.

“Oppa, mianhe.” She was dying to hold her tears back but she couldn’t help it. She looked away, pretending to look outside the window.

Jong Kook didn’t say anything. He could only watch the women beside him from the corner of his eyes. He saw her hiding her tears but he pretended he saw nothing. It was her decision and he could do nothing to change it. Besides, he has no right to do so.

As they drove further toward Jong Kook’s hometown and leaving Seoul behind, Ji Hyo drifted into a deep sleep.

Ji Hyo-yah, you look so peaceful in your sleep… A few times Jong Kook glanced at her, taking his eyes off the road for a second. Joong Ki-yah will surely take care of you. He’ll certainly make no mistake, unlike me. You’ve broken my heart Ji Hyo-yah, so please don’t break his. The commander tirelessly drove through the countryside. The morning had turned into afternoon, a cloudy one.

He knew it wasn’t raining outside—and even if it was, the water couldn’t reach him since he was in the car. However he felt something wet on his face. He couldn’t see clear with his eyes. His sight becoming more blurry each time he tried to blink. Slightly he wiped the tears on his cheek.

As expected it started to rain. As the twenty first drop of rain fell on the window, Jong Kook sighed.

We’ve been through this road before. This is the same road… but now everything’s different. She’s not laughing beside me. She’s not even looking at me with those passionate eyes. He kept on driving without caring about his own self. His stubborn minds travelled back to a year ago when he passed this road together with Ji Hyo. How painful it was to recall the memory.

The rain fell heavily, making such nosy sound on the car rooftop and the windows. Reluctantly Ji Hyo opened her eyes and murmured something. Jong Kook quickly dried his tears and acted like nothing happened.

“Oppa, it’s raining.” She said innocently.

“Yes it is.” Shortly he said, trying to sound calm.

“How long has it been raining like this?”

“It just started.”

She adjusted her body to the seat, planning not to continue her sleep. She concentrated on the slippery-looking asphalt. It seemed like it was really cold outside since the bright sun was nowhere to be found. Although her face was blank as always, she was actually paying attention to the road. The path wasn’t unfamiliar to her. She was really aware of the fact that she had been in a situation like that before; In a car with Jong Kook, passing the same road, but with a different feeling.

Ji Hyo was confused when suddenly Jong Kook stopped the car on the side of the road. They were in the middle of nowhere, stuck in the heavy rain.

“Ji Hyo-yah, I can’t hold this any longer.” Jong Kook let go of his hand from the driving wheel although his eyes were still on the road.

“I can’t continue driving with a mind like this. This isn’t how we supposed to be. If we doesn’t end up being lovers, at least let me be your oppa…. Like I used to.” Now it was obvious that he was avoiding Ji Hyo’s stare.

There was a long silence before he felt something warm wrapping his body gently. Ji Hyo’s hands were around him, trying to hug him. They were in an uncomfortable position but somehow he felt fine with that.

“Is that a yes?” He turned to look at her only to find the woman smiling. His question was answered with a nod.

“You’re always my oppa.” She whispered on his ears as she let go of her embracing hands. “Let’s not fight again. Let’s not cry again oppa.”

With all the strength he had left, Jong Kook tried his best to hold his tears by biting his lips. Jokingly he said to her, “Yah, you’re making this even harder for me not to cry, you know.” They both laugh instantly.

“Please don’t feel reluctant to bring me coffee on rainy days, oppa. And perhaps we can still have movie night every Thursday. If you don’t mind, I can still cook you instant noodles.” Ji Hyo chuckled.

“Yah, oppa’s the one who always makes noodle for you!”

“Well, that’s quite right….” She grumbled jokingly and continued, “but it doesn’t taste good. So next time let me cook it for you.”

“Fine. Don’t forget to bring soju when you come to my place, okay?” Ji Hyo’s eyes widened as she heard the questioned came from the health freak’s mouth.

“Since when did you start drinking oppa?!!”

“Since I broke up with you….”

The comfortable atmosphere suddenly became dark and silent again. They both stared at each other nervously, not knowing what to say to bring back the lively and playful conversation. The sound of raindrops making everything felt even more melancholic. They both knew they could never be the same after the breakup.

The intense eye contact made it more difficult to resist the gravitation between them. Slowly they both inched closer, not knowing the reason behind their every little movement. The distance between them became smaller, making it harder to breathe normally. Even the rain started to fell more heavily as if it was against their action.

How could someone who loved each other so much deny the fact that they were made for each other? Love was hard.

 

Jong Kook still wanted to see those beautiful eyes, but it got more out of focus as they faces got even closer.

 

So they both closed their eyes.

 

Their hearts beat faster in an uncontrolable rythm.

 

Their lips were almost touching.

 

Just an inch more…

 

 


A/N. I don't know, maybe it's disappointing for you. But I've tried my best. Here's your New Year's present!!