Indomitable Will

Daehyun: Valkyr of the Gods

                The trek to the pinpoint of light in the distance didn’t take half as long as Yongguk thought it might.  Aside from the constant presence of… people the whole way there, the scenery didn’t change much, consisting of shadowy landscapes and cold wind.  Snow gathered in large banks along the sides and he trekked through a shallower portion of it, numbing his feet further, but no one intervened to stop his progress.

                Baldr was mostly quiet beside him, offering some tidbit of information as they got closer, but both were more focused upon Garm in the distance.  The giant hound loomed larger the closer they got and Yongguk at least felt a dreadful cold settle in the pit of his stomach.  Garm was bigger than anything he’d encountered yet, having the body of a dog a castle lord might employ.  He was completely black with gleaming silver eyes that peered sharply under heavy lids, dark blue tongue peeking through a massive set of jaws as he breathed, the loud sound of it rasping through the air.

                Back and forth, back and forth he paced, head swinging to and fro in his perpetual watch.  “Does he ever sleep?” Yongguk whispered to Baldr as they drew near, seeking some sort of cover before it turned and saw them.

                “Not that I know of.  I have never seem him close his eyes longer than it takes to blink,” Baldr admitted with a frown, peering under the ever moving legs towards the hazy entrance that appeared to lead upward.

                “Great…” the Einherjar grumbled, wishing he had his weapon with him.  He wouldn’t feel so if he had something on his person other than his bare hands.  “So how do we get by him then?” Yongguk asked with his gaze focused intently upon the hound.  Oddly enough, he never once looked back their direction.

                “We?” Baldr asked, completely confused.

                “Ne.  You’re coming too, aren’t you?” Yongguk asked, brow furrowed.

                The god shook his head with an accepting smile.  “No.  It is not my time to go.”

                “Eh?  But if the opportunity presents itself, would you not rather be back in Asgard?” he asked, baffled.

                Baldr just kept smiling.  “I would, but it is not my time.  Mimir has foreseen my return and it is not before the end of days,” he admitted with an air of patience.

                Yongguk snorted with a curl of his lip.  “Stupid prophecies.  I have no time for them,” he gestured emphatically with both hands.  “Right now, I need to be back in Midgard or Asgard.  Not stuck here in this hole,” he muttered.

                “It’s not so bad once you get used to it,” Baldr admitted, earning himself a cross glare from his companion.

                Then again, the god had been stuck down here for several hundred years already.  “You can have it.  Right after you help me distract that thing so I can get by him.”

                “I don’t know that it’s as easy as simply walking out of here even if you do get past Garm,” Baldr admitted, looking upward where an inconsistent stream of wisp like blurs drifted overhead towards the heart of the realm.  At each passing, the entrance appeared to ripple briefly before becoming completely transparent once more.

                “What do you mean?” Yongguk asked in a disgruntled manner, following the god’s gaze.

                Baldr nodded towards Garm again and shrugged, “Don’t you feel it?  There’s some sort of power resting just ahead.  It might be a barrier of some sort,” he mused, clearly unconcerned.

                “You’re telling me this now?” Yongguk muttered with a glare.

                “Let me check,” Baldr nodded his head once and began to walk out towards Garm, not particularly concerned that the creature could swallow him in a single gulp.

                “Baldr!” Yongguk hissed, reaching after him with one hand before he shrank back behind the meager cover of a small cluster of rocks topped with more snow.  Crouched low, he stared as he saw the god get closer, holding his breath when the hound finally noticed the intruder.

                Garm huffed and turned around to regard Baldr with a long look, leaning close as he sniffed him once and snorted, resuming his pacing shortly thereafter.  Yongguk felt his jaw drop open at the exchange and then stared as Baldr approached the entrance slowly.  Only then did Garm growl, teeth bared in a warning grimace as a soft rumble escaped his jaws.

                Baldr looked back at the hound and raised his hand towards the creature in a reassuring gesture while he extended his other forward.  Garm continued to growl, taking a hesitant step towards the god, but when Baldr’s hand seemed to press up against something, he stopped, eyes fixed on the smaller figure with eerie intelligence.

                “,” Yongguk hissed when he saw what had happened.  There was a barrier in place to keep those in Nifleheim from getting away.  So Garm wasn’t even watching for the dead trying to escape; his duty was to keep the living out.  Muttering foul curses under his breath, Yongguk stepped from behind his hiding place and approached the hound nervously, eyes flickering towards Baldr where he took a half-step back, earning a slight reprieve from Garm’s intense eyes.

                “It’s no use,” Baldr apologized softly, glancing over at Yongguk as the other male approached at a slower pace.

                Yongguk flinched when Garm noticed him, growling loudly at his appearance, and froze entirely when the massive head leaned close.  “Hel’s Breath,” he exhaled shakily, feeling the icy gust of air from Garm’s maw smack him like a punch in the face, making him want to gag at the rancid, rotting smell that accompanied it.  He trembled when the hound sniffed him and then clacked his jaws near his head.  “Yah!” Yongguk jumped back, complexion white as he continued to stare at the massive creature that looked… amused at his reaction.

                Baldr put a steadying hand on his shoulder to keep him from stumbling too far.  “Easy,” he urged, directing the word towards the hound in a calm manner.

                Garm his chops with a glimmer of laughter in his eyes and shook his head before he snorted and looked away, bored of them.  “Ugh…” Yongguk groaned watching the hound begin pacing again, tensing up when the massive head swung their direction, apparently looking over them this time around.  Weak-kneed, he took a breath and turned to reach his hand for the opening, feeling a dreadful sense of despair slide over him when his palm connected with an invisible wall.  “No,” the warrior-thief whispered in denial.

                “It makes sense when you think about it,” Baldr shrugged, keeping one hand on Yongguk’s shoulder to let him know he wasn’t alone.

                “None of this makes sense,” Yongguk snapped back, angry at the false hope he’d been able to hold to.  Growling in frustration, he pounded his fist on the barrier and closed his eyes.  Of course he should have known better, but it was right there.  The exit was just before his eyes and it might as well have been a thousand miles away for all that he could cross it.  “Dammit,” he exhaled, pressing his palm flat against the wall, leaning into it hard, never mind the growling thing behind him.

                He tensed up and his shoulders prickled when Garm fell silent though.  That was even creepier than the damn thing growling at him.  Slowly, Yongguk looked over his shoulder and noticed that the hound was staring up, tracking something above them.  He whined in the back of his throat and turned to pad after the figure hesitantly, moving a few steps before he paused, rooted in place with trembling legs.

                “Loki?” Baldr frowned, following the figure as well, his form that of a great bird.

                It was too far away for Yongguk to make out who it was but hearing that name piqued his interest.  “Really?” he asked, squinting after the dark form.  “I thought he was chained in Valhalla,” he murmured, remembering quite clearly how he’d looked before Freya had intervened.

                “Not anymore,” Baldr shook his head, expression tense and speculative.  “If he’s here on Odin’s orders, it’s not a problem, but if not…” he trailed off, leaving the rest of his statement unsaid.

                “He’s not,” Yongguk assured him, waiting breathlessly to hear him finish.

                “Oh,” the god blinked, seemingly at a loss.  “Then I guess this is it,” he murmured, glancing at Yongguk before focusing on the distance where a dull roaring sound began to rise.  A loud, bugling cry rose in the distance, followed immediately by an ear piercing howl from Garm.

                “What’s happening?” Yongguk gasped with his hands planted over his ears, trying to shut out the terrible sound.  It was followed immediately by a horn that sounded unlike anything he’d ever heard, coming from everywhere and tugging on his being as if it demanded his presence.

                Baldr reached over and grabbed Yongguk’s arm lightly, holding firm while his eyes registered familiarity.  “Gjallarhorn,” he breathed, blinking with intense blue eyes.  “Heimdall’s horn,” he added by way of explanation.  “If I’m not mistaken… it’s Ragnarok,” he added further, inhaling when the ground rumbled, vibrating through their feet.

                “Is that a… ship?!” Yongguk gasped with wide eyes, frozen when he saw what seemed to be a wave crest behind the spire he’d climbed earlier, carrying with it a dread looking ship in the process.

                “Naglfar,” the god murmured in response.  “Bearing the souls of the dead to do battle against the gods,” he whispered further, flinching when Garm suddenly leapt forward, abandoning them where they stood as he bounded to join the forces.

                The pale dragon thing Yongguk had seen earlier flapped up in the distance and roared again, the piercing cry tearing across the space so that he winced at the sound.  He wasn’t sure whether he was upset or glad that they weren’t heading this direction, aiming instead for the roots of Yggdrasil.  Torn, he looked between the moving forces and the barred opening.  Even if he left now, would he be able to follow them through the World Tree, or would his way be barred like it was here?

                “You can try,” Baldr murmured as if reading his thoughts.

                “Can I make it?” he asked in return, voice quiet and filled with desperate hope.

                “I don’t know,” the god admitted, shaking his head sadly.

                “You’re a lot of help,” Yongguk muttered uncharitably.  Baldr shrugged but didn’t refute the statement.  “I’m going then,” he announced with conviction, sprinting off after Garm, following along in the clear footprints the massive hound left behind.

                “Good luck!” Baldr called after him, making no effort to follow the Einherjar.

                Stupid god.  Stupid barrier.  Stupid realm of the dead.  “Argh!” Yongguk growled in frustration, running as hard as he could.  There had to be a way that he could get out of here so he could get back to Daehyun.  And somehow, he was going to find it.

 

                Yunho flinched when debris pelted him from the side, ears ringing as the thunderous blow from the crushing mace faded away.  “Rah!” he roared, springing up again and swinging fiercely over the battered wall, catching the Jottun by surprise as he sliced straight through his neck, sending the head rolling off while the body fell slowly, revealing another warrior coming in behind him.  “e!” he gasped, exhaustedly trying to ready his sword for another attack.

                The Jottun roared and reeled to the side when an arrow embedded itself in his eye.  “Now!” CL yelled off to Yunho’s side, pointing frantically towards the injured target while she peered back at someone on her side, the flickering movement of other Einherjar and Jottuns engaged in battle further down the wall as well.

                “Yah!” the energetic Zico howled ferociously while he threw himself over the wall, ducking under the frantic swing of the Jottun before he cut the giant’s knees out from under him, sending the larger target crashing to the ground.  “Die!” Zico growled, stabbing his sword through the monster’s chest.

                “Watch out!” Minhyuk shouted, peering over the wall with his sword ready, though he cringed preemptively.

                Yunho saw Zico look up just in time to register the hastily lobbed projectile from another Jottun several yards away before it caught him full in the head, sending him tumbling back with his sword still embedded in the fallen enemy.  “Min!  Follow me!” Taeil shouted bravely, clambering over the remnants of the wall with the taller swordsman behind him.

                Together, the pair hurried over to the fallen Zico, Taeil holding his tower shield in front of him defensively as he made sure to protect them both so Changmin could pick up their fallen ally.  His shield rang loudly as additional projectiles pinged off it intermittently, jarring his arms before they were deflected away.

                “Shadow Spear!” Hyosung yelled angrily from beside Yunho, focusing on the leading Jottun in the pack that was heading their way, finally throwing some of the magic she’d been forbidden from casting thus far.

                The black spire of energy streaked through the running target, leaving a gaping hole in his chest and Yunho didn’t berate her for it this time.  It was a good strike and well aimed.  A glance up and down the wall showed the gods fighting savagely on the other side of the wall, beating off the worst of the forces while the Einherjar headed off the stragglers on the side.

                Archers peppered the targets from a distance and rogues like Kiseop and Jaehyo helped with a considerably more limited supply of large throwing daggers.  The mages were shifting in place nervously, having been forbidden from casting too many spells as this was only the first wave of the enemy; mere basic Jottuns.  The force was not inconsiderable; a massive cluster of giants rushing their defenses, but they all knew worse was yet to come.  They had to hold out long enough to meet the greater threat; they had to remain strong as long as possible.

                “Die foul creatures!” Thor roared magnificently, throwing Mjolnir right into the thick of them again, bowling Jottuns aside with ease as the hammer returned to his hand effortlessly, allowing him to attack once more without pause.

                Standing side by side with Odin, Freya twirled her lance with deadly efficiency, blocking and retaliating with savage anger.  Blazing brightly in his hand, the spear Gungnir felled all who stood before Odin, leaving a pile of bodies around the gods.  Even Tyr held his own with one hand and a massive hammer that crushed many a foe who came against him.  Forseti had come late to the battle but he brought his maul with all the anger and retribution he could muster.  Behind them, Heimdall sounded the horn once more, its clarion call ringing out over Asgard and into the other realms, announcing the war and summoning reinforcements from all their allies.

                At last, the enemy forces trickled to a stop, leaving a heavy pall of foreboding lingering over the field.  “Regroup!” Odin commanded sharply, stabbing Gungnir into the air as he called his forces back behind the lines.  Immediately, the gods and remaining Einherjar well enough to walk rushed back over the line while the goddesses at the back sprinted to the edge of the battlefield, looking for survivors to retrieve and enemies to finish off.

                Yunho hurried over to check on Zico nearby, lamenting his loss already.  There was no way he could have survived that blow.  “Easy,” Taeil urged, helping Changmin set Zico on the ground before he worked at removing the helmet with some difficulty.

                Minhyuk whistled appreciatively when he noticed the very minor dent in the helmet as opposed to the ruined piece of metal they had all expected.  “Is that all that happened?” he asked, glancing at a pale and unresponsive Zico, noticing the beginnings of a knot on his head where the indent would have been.

                “Is he alright?” Amber bustled over to ask with Jieun assisting her, the former limping on a wounded leg but otherwise whole.

                “Zico?” Changmin asked, patting the wan cheek in concern as Taeil leaned close to feel for breath over his mouth.

                “He’s breathing,” the shorter knight murmured with an incredulous laugh, sitting back on his heel as he smiled.

                “I’ll be damned,” Yunho snorted once, shaking his head in amazement.

                “Yes!” CL cheered, beaming at the news while she bounced in place.  “Thank you Daehyun!” she exhaled in relief.

                “The helmet,” Minhyuk conceded, holding the piece of armor up for his inspection, gleaming metal surprisingly shiny and intact for all that it had already been through.

                Yunho nodded in understanding before he glanced around for the rest of their group.  He was nursing minor wounds from errant debris and Hyosung was leaning against the wall, resting, but he frowned when he noticed Jaehyo and Kiseop assisting Sungmin towards the back.  The warrior’s left arm was a mangled mass of flesh, practically shredded and his hand was missing.  “Damn,” he hissed, grateful that was the worst of the wounds for his respective teams so far.

                Their losses had been relatively light with only a few Einherjar going down and no gods as yet, but he knew better than to be too relieved.  The group they’d faced off against just now was the preliminaries; simple foot soldiers to the rest of the army they all knew Ragnarok called for.  Loki had escaped earlier and Fenrir not long after, promising ill for all of them before too long.  A dread chill went up his spine when he felt a faint vibration hum through his feet, alerting him to more than he could yet see.

                “Warriors!  To arms!” Odin roared fiercely, his voice reverberating over the field with Gungnir held high above him.

                 A weak answering call rumbled through the forces as they gathered themselves again, trying to muster the courage to face what they all felt was coming.  Their rallying cry was nothing in comparison to the angry roar that surged over the field in the direction of Jotunheimr, announcing the arrival of more forces.  Behind them, in the direction of Yggdrasil, the ground shook even more as countless forces surged forward.

                He had been expecting a battle from Jotunheimr, but Yunho trembled at the thought of combating them from behind as well.  “Get ready, men!” he called sharply, readying his sword with nervous tension as he swung his gaze from either side of the battlefronts.

                “Ugh…” Zico groaned when he finally started to come around, sitting up with a hand pressed against his head, wincing in pain.

                “Just in time,” Minhyuk commented, handing his helmet back.

                “For what?” Zico exhaled with one eye closed.

                “The last fight of our lives,” Taeil exhaled, shaking his hand out with the shield resting at his feet before he threaded his arm back through the handles and hefted it determinedly, pulling his sword free with his other hand.

                “Ah man…” Zico muttered while he got to his feet unsteadily, drifting to the side until Changmin caught his arm and held him still.

                A small cheer went up when they all noticed a golden arrow shoot up from the direction of Yggdrasil.  Freya whooped excitedly and beamed, “It’s Freyr!  The light elves have come!”

                “And the dwarves!” Tyr roared with gusto upon hearing a low, rumbling horn sound in the distance.

                “For honor and glory!” Odin announced in a booming tone, overriding the howling cry of the dire wolf Fenrir and the great hound Garm as they announced their presence.  Louder still than the hissing of the great serpent Jormungandr whose body shook the realm, and the keening screams of the fierce dragons Bloodbane and Nidhogg; more encouraging than the orange glow rising from Jotunheimr that came not from the sun, flickering fiercely over the battlefield as great giants of fire and ice marched together, wreathing their progress in mist and shadow.  Not even the dreadful screeching of the dead could rival Odin’s voice as Hel brought her fel minions to the field.

                “Gods help us all,” Yunho whispered, raising his weapon to the sky and giving a great war-cry that matched the tone of those who summoned their courage with him.

 

(a/n: Ah hah!  The final battle of Ragnarok is nigh!  All the names (i.e. Jormungandr, Naglfar, etc. are pretty much straight from Norse mythology.  Bloodbane is one of the odd balls in coming from the game.  The converging of all the forces on the battlefield is from Norse mythology where Heimdall blows his horn Gjallarhorn to summon the allies of the gods.  Freyr is Freya's brother and lived with the light elves as their lord.  The dwarves also come to the aide of the gods at the final battle.  To rise against them are Loki's spawn: Jormungandr (the World/Midgard Serpent), Fenrir, and Hel including her hellhound Garm and the dragon Nidhogg (though his appearance is a bit looser in description in the mythos).  Also, the fire giants led by Surt and the ice/frost giants (often led by a giant called Utgard-Loki who I'm not entirely sure is related to Loki or not  :/).  The ship of the dead Naglfar was actually made from human toenail clippings.  Gross, I know.  Gungnir is Odin's spear/weapon in particular and I think that covers most everything.

I haven't forgotten about Soohyun or Minzy and we'll be getting back to the Valkyrs and the rest of their bunch before too long.  Though the mages in Asgard have limited spell casting ability which is why they weren't utilized heavily in the initial battle.

Certainly, if you have any questions, please feel free to send them my way, otherwise I hope that you've enjoyed the latest update and that you'll forward to the next.  ^_^  Thank you for reading!)