Broken Promises

Daehyun: Valkyr of the Gods

                Though he could have flown and made considerably better time, because his Einherjar were relegated to walking to their destination, it meant Himchan was as well.  The fields of battle awaited them at the end of it and he could tell some of the newest in particular were very nervous about the prospect.  His seasoned fighters he had little to worry about but Minzy was fidgety and even Yongguk exuded an air of uncertainty.

                Granted, he had every reason to believe the latter was more worried about his sibling but that didn’t make his distraction any less real.  That was troublesome in its own way really.  The odds had to have been against Daehyun in actually finding and recruiting Yongguk.  Really, they should have been cities apart and in all honesty, there was no reason that the thief should have died in the first place.  Not for the first time, he wondered about the details of the mortal’s death…

                Those rather useless thoughts aside, at least the newcomers had meshed well with the more experienced group and were conversing with them while they traveled.  Even on foot, they were making good time and though they were scheduled to arrive late into the evening, behind the front lines, the way should still be clear without the concern of enemy attack.  Thor would be happy for the new recruits if nothing else and a happy god of thunder was always a good thing.

                Leading by the light of the moon, Himchan was listening to the Einherjar behind him, keeping his attention focused on the path ahead, when he felt his heart race and his stomach drop for no apparent reason.  Eyes going wide in his face, he stopped in his tracks and froze, trying to sift through what he was feeling without reacting preemptively.

                “Valkyr?” Yunho asked as the tentative leader of the group when Himchan failed to turn around and address them as they all expected.

                Which one…?  Himchan didn’t know but something had happened to one of his brothers.  He swallowed once and turned around to eye Yunho.  “Get them to camp.  You’re not far and should be there shortly,” he pointed the direction they were headed and shifted as if to make his way through the group, gaze distracted.

                “Where are you going?” Yongguk asked, placing himself directly in front of Himchan as he felt his stomach clench with concern at the change in the Valkyr.  Even in his brief interaction with the other male, he knew Himchan was not one to overreact lightly and this unexplained alteration in his behavior was far too worrisome.

                “I must return to Valhalla at once,” he stated firmly, pressing Yongguk’s form aside with relative ease.

                “What?!  Why?” Yongguk grumbled as he recovered himself and watched the Valkyr reach the back of the group, ignoring him entirely.  He hadn’t been summoned by any of the gods that he could tell but something had definitely called to him just now.

                Himchan paid him no mind as he clenched his fist tight and murmured softly, “Jongup.  Daehyun.  Be alright.”  Black wings sprouted from his back in a burst of feathers before he was off the ground and flying away as if his very life depended on it.

                Puzzled, the group watched the Valkyr fly off until Yunho shook his head and called them to attention.  “Alright!  You heard the Valkyr.  We’re almost there so let’s finish it up and call it a night.”

                “Wait.  You’re not even the least bit curious?” Yongguk asked, pointing after the quickly diminishing flyer.  Even under normal circumstances, that was not a regular everyday response to anything…

                “Of course I’m curious, but it’s not for me to worry about,” Yunho told him stoically.  “Our place is on the front lines.  It’s as simple as that.”

                “I don’t know if it’s that simple,” Jaehyo shrugged, making no effort to contradict him further.

                “Either way, we should hurry.  We don’t know how things might have changed since the pass was only recently put under proper watch,” Kiseop reminded them with a glance at Jaehyo who nodded in agreement.  They had seen the replacement gods apprehend a small scouting party that made its way through but there was no telling if there had been more behind them or if it really had been just a small probing group.

                “No,” Yongguk shook his head and glanced at Soohyun and Minzy.  “Something’s wrong.  I’m going back too,” he announced, jogging the way they’d come from in a pace that quickly developed into a slow run.

                “Yongguk!” Yunho frowned, stepping after him.  “Yongguk!  Get back here!” he growled when the other ignored him.

                “Bang!” Soohyun called, beating Minzy to the punch.

                “Hey!  Where are you two going?!” Yunho stared incredulously as both Soohyun and Minzy looked at each other and sprinted off after him, paying the taller male no attention either.

                “I guess they’re going back too,” Changmin shrugged when he tilted his head to the side and watched them go with a curious glance at Taeil.

                “Oh!  I’ll go too!” Hyosung chirped only to yelp and freeze in place when Yunho rounded on her with a frightful glare.  “Or I’ll just stay here.  On the front lines.  Again…  Why am I the only mage?!” she wailed and stomped closer to Jaehyo and Kiseop.

                “Aren’t you two going to head back too?” Sungmin inquired with a speculative glance at Changmin and Taeil.

                The shorter of the two shook his head and frowned, “I’d never be able to keep up for long.  You try running in plate mail,” he muttered at the curious glances he received in return.  Oh he missed his horse right now…  One’s size really didn’t matter so much with a mount.

                “Eh.  Yongguk’s a capable fighter.  He can handle himself,” Changmin grinned confidently, clapping Taeil on the shoulder.  “Besides.  Someone has to help cover their asses.”

                Yunho frowned at them for a moment longer, not sure if he believed them or not, but when they made no attempt to follow the other three defectors, he rolled his eyes and shook his head.  “So stupid.  Let’s go!” he growled determinedly, waving at the rest of the group to follow along, taking the lead as Himchan had instructed.

 

                Himchan had never made better time in his mad flight back to Valhalla and he still wasn’t fast enough by far.  The blatant panic he’d felt had finally subsided but it continued to leave a lingering sickened feeling in his stomach that did not alleviate his concern in any way.  The bigger issue was that it could be either of his siblings but without the Eye of the Gods, he couldn’t confirm it one way or the other…

                “Odin!  Jongup!” he yelled fiercely when he landed and sprinted into the hall, looking for the King of the Gods in particular.  He’d have been happier to see his youngest brother instead but that wasn’t likely and he knew it.  “Odin!” he tried again, glancing around frantically until he dashed through and headed instead for the Eye of the Gods since he could not see Jongup or Daehyun present.

                It was unmanned as usual but he called the surface to life with a wave of his hand, summoning divine energy to grant him a view of his siblings.  He was unable to see Daehyun at all, the surface remaining blank and otherwise unaltered causing Himchan to curse fluently under his breath.  He had to have been inside Brahms’ castle and they could not see inside the Lord of the Undead’s domain…  Curse Brahms and his defensive wards.

                Clenching his jaw, he called the image of Jongup instead and gasped to see his unconscious and obviously wounded brother cradled in Freya’s arms as they flew for the Bifrost, the hole in his armor unmistakable.  Directly behind them was Forseti with a bound and gagged Loki in tow, his expression filled with hatred and anger.  Himchan’s face lost all traces of emotion as he waved the image away and stood staring at the blank surface for a moment.

                Jongup had found Loki but he’d been injured in the process.  That… should… not… have… happened.  With dread purpose, he stalked to the bridge between Asgard and Midgard and gave Heimdall a slight nod, otherwise ignoring the stalwart guardian and making no effort to clamp down on how dissatisfied he was.  The longer he waited, the dourer his expression became and he lost track of the passage of time.  There was nothing he could do anyway but that didn’t make him any less unhappy.

                At last, the Bifrost glowed a warm golden color as Freya arrived with the rest of her party.  She took one look at Himchan and stopped, her grasp tightening on Jongup’s form thought the youngest Valkyr didn’t react in the slightest.  “Himchan.”

                “You were supposed to protect him,” Himchan stated softly, his eyes flashing though nothing about his posture or expression gave away how full of rage he was.

                “He has only been injured,” she reminded him with a glance at the youngest Valkyr still resting in her arms.  Though it was a poor consolation, it was all she could say considering that Jongup was indeed still alive, though unconscious and in need of rest.

                “You gave me your word!” the eldest snapped, allowing his mask to slip slightly as tension aded his posture, tensing every visible muscle.

                “Valkyr.  Calm yourself,” Forseti urged with one open hand raised towards him.  “Your brother acquitted himself well in locating and apprehending this cur,” he glared at Loki who returned the expression skillfully.  “We would not have been so successful without his aid.”

                “Do you think I care?” Himchan demanded caustically, drawing his sword as he leveled his gaze murderously on Loki who didn’t seem the slightest bit concerned about the Valkyr’s anger.  “I allowed you to have my brother’s aid because you assured me his safety.  You knew in his current state he was no match for him,” he hissed between bared teeth as he pointed the tip of his sword at the trickster god.

                “Himchan,” Freya warned, eyeing the weapon in his hand when she felt divine power gather around the angry male.  Her eyes narrowed in concern as she saw noticed eyes twitch and felt the seal within him weaken, beginning to unravel at the intensity of his fury.  “Loki is not yours to seek vengeance upon,” she reminded him, glancing at Forseti who moved in front of the captive god defensively.

                Himchan knew his control was slipping; could feel the seal beginning to come undone as he gathered raw power to his weaponless hand, but he didn’t care.  Loki had nearly killed his brother.  The gods had failed them both and that one at least would feel his anger.  He took one stiff step forward, sword still raised, and stopped when he heard a power filled voice call him from behind.

                “Valkyr!” Odin’s booming utterance sliced through his ire and he lowered his sword reluctantly before turning to face the King of the gods.  “You will control yourself and stand down,” he commanded firmly, stopping directly in front of the shorter male as he glared at him with flashing blue eyes.

                “Odin.”  It was the only acknowledgement he could manage just then and it was apparently enough for the god did not reprimand him otherwise.

                “You would knowingly break the seal for the sake of your own anger?” Odin inquired archly, clearly annoyed.

                Himchan looked away, unable to meet the god’s gaze.  “He tried to kill Jongup.”

                “But he didn’t,” the All Father reminded him swiftly, earning a glare which quickly faded from the Valkyr.

                “Freya promised me his safety,” he reminded the elder god, holding his gaze.

                “And if he had not gone off on his own, then I would have protected him,” Freya explained herself immediately, biting off whatever else she was going to say when both Odin and Himchan rounded on her.

                “Himchan,” Odin called, placing his hand upon the Valkyr’s shoulder.  “You above both of your brothers know why the seal is in place.  Do not forget that.”

                “I have not forgotten,” Himchan spat back, forcing himself to calm down slightly as he relaxed his shoulders and stood up taller under Odin’s warning glare.

                “Good.  Now take Jongup and remove yourself.  This is not over, Valkyr,” he reminded the eldest sibling in a warning tone.

                The Valkyr declined to respond but he reluctantly sheathed his sword and gave a slight curt nod.  Unable to say anything else, he focused his attention on Freya and his brother, approaching the slightly shorter goddess with his jaw clenched.  Mutely, he took Jongup from her arms and narrowed his gaze at Freya, daring her to say anything else.  To her credit, she did not look away or step back, though she had to blink several times until he turned first and calmly walked back towards Valhalla, bypassing Odin without so much as a second glance.

                For his part, Odin disregarded the Valkyrs as soon as they were beyond him and approached the bound god instead, pushing Forseti aside with ease.  “Loki.”  It was the only thing he said, blinking slowly as the smaller god looked up at him with angry eyes.

                Freya approached Forseti and placed a hand upon his shoulder.  “You may rest here for the evening but you should return to report to Thor in the morning,” she explained with a nod, pushing the god ahead of her so that he could precede them.  When Forseti nodded in agreement, she gripped the trickster god’s arm and then nodded at Odin.  “Come, Loki.  We have much to discuss.”

                Trapped between Freya and Odin, Loki made no attempt to try and free himself from their clutches.  It was pointless.  Instead, he docilely allowed himself to be led towards Valhalla, letting his gaze sweep the area in a regular observation pattern.  As such, he was the only one to notice the otherwise hidden figure of Yongguk with his two friends hiding nearby.  A slow smile pulled at the edges of his mouth until he looked away as if nothing had happened.

                Yongguk gasped when the trickster god noticed them; not because they’d been seen, though that was surprising enough.  He knew they were hidden well and a human would not have spotted them at all.  His greater concern was Loki’s eyes.  He’d seen them once before.  Just before he died.  Dark orbs that sent a shiver down his spine and stared at him while the panicked man held him up and gave the guards time to reach him before he was cut down.

               It was crazy and should have been impossible but he was positive that Loki and the fleeing man were one and the same person.  The god could change his appearance and form at will so that wasn’t such a stretch, but the better question was why him?  What reason was there for the god Loki to take a human form and actually cause Yongguk’s death?

                Even beyond that, the conversation they’d witnessed brought up far more questions than answers.  He was glad beyond belief that it had not been Daehyun that Freya had brought back in her arms, but it didn’t tell him how he was either.  Obviously, Himchan was worried about his brothers, but what had Odin meant about the seals?  And why was Himchan the only one that knew about them?  Did that mean Daehyun had one too?  If so, what was it sealing and why was it dangerous if it was to break?

                “Come on,” he whispered quietly, tugging at Soohyun and Minzy to accompany him.

                “Where are we going?” Soohyun asked quizzically, still unsure what they were doing sneaking around following the gods now.

                “I need to speak with Loki,” Yongguk replied without looking away from the departing gods.

                “Are you crazy?” Minzy hissed as she gripped his arm and yanked on it.  “We aren’t even supposed to be here.  How are we going to get near him?  Much less ask him anything…”

                “We’ll figure something out,” he assured her with a confident grin and a wink.

                “You are crazy,” Soohyun chuckled with a shake of his head.

                “Only sometimes,” Yongguk laughed in response.  “Let’s go.  I want answers and I have the feeling he can tell me. ”

                “But why would he?” Minzy grumbled with a heavy sigh.

                Yongguk looked unsure for a moment, his bottom lip trapped between his teeth.  But then he shook his head and sighed, “I’m not sure.  But I think he wants me to find him.”

                “Eh?” both responded at the same time, exchanging concerned glances.

                “Just trust me, alright?” he urged plaintively.

                Minzy groaned in response but let go of his arm so she could follow along with Soohyun bringing up the rear reluctantly.  Using all the skills they’d learned on Midgard during their lives, they skulked in the shadows as they made their way to Valhalla, Loki, and hopefully the answers no one else was willing to give them.

 

(a/n: Is anybody really surprised that Yongguk and his crew aren't particularly inclined to follow orders?  hehe  I had intended to add Daehyun's POV in this update but it would have been longer than I wanted so he will be the next update!  But the biggest thing to note here is that Himchan has a seal too.  Hmm...  Curious, no?  Even more so because he knows what it's for.  hehe  We'll get to that before too long but until then, I hope you're still enjoying and that you look forward to the next update!  Thank you for reading!  <3)