Change of Plans

Daehyun: Valkyr of the Gods

                The gleaming armor and winged helm of the two Valkyrs stood out amidst the small group of antsy combatants who stood in the hall of Valhalla as they waited for further instruction.  Standing slightly taller than either of his siblings, with black hair that contrasted starkly against his pale complexion as it appeared against his cheek from under his full helm, the Valkyr Himchan regarded his newest recruits with sharp scrutiny.

                Partially hidden beneath the helm, his features were more delicate than the other Valkyrs but his expression was severe; that of a commander reviewing his troops and only narrowly withholding judgment.  Called back from the front lines to retrieve them, it was a welcome if worrisome reprieve that gave him a chance to collect himself and draw a deep breath free of the tang of the battlefield.  “Einherjar.  Welcome to Valhalla,” he greeted coolly enough, without the warmth either of his siblings would have used, to Jongup’s annoyance.  Himchan noticed his brother shaking his head slightly at the tone of his voice but didn’t actually say anything against him.

                “Daehyun has briefed them somewhat on the situation and they were just introducing themselves, Himchan,” he bowed his head politely, deferring to his elder brother with practiced ease as he quickly relayed their names.

                The pair regarded the group again and neither was immune to the wide-eyed expressions on their faces as they continued to stare at the massive hall they found themselves in.  Larger than even the interior of the grandest castle any could recall, the room was bedecked with all manner of adornments from massive, gleaming weapons to extravagant suits of armor, and the walls featured the heads of several monstrous creatures they had only ever heard about but never seen.

                “Hel’s teets!  That one could swallow you whole!” Zico gasped, one hand holding fast to his helmet as he pointed animatedly towards a monstrous mounted head near the back of the hall closest to the raised dais which held two grand thrones, both of which were empty, very much like the majority of the interior.  A few brawny warriors filled the seats of the long tables that ran from either end of the establishment, but mostly ignored them and their gawking expressions.

                 “One of Fafnir’s ilk,” Himchan muttered while he crossed his arms over his chest.

                “You mean we’ll be facing dragons too?” CL exclaimed, gripping her crossbow tighter at the thought.

                “It’s possible,” Jongup nodded helpfully, not in the least bit disturbed by the question.  “They’re not quite as bad as the Jottuns most days and generally they’ll leave you alone so long as you don’t try to steal their treasure or bother their nests.  I rather like-”

                “Jongup!” Himchan interrupted, reclaiming their attention once more as his sibling subsided guiltily.  “There are many dangers you will face and you may well die.  Accept that fact now,” he told them simply, his tone measured and calm.

                “But how can we die more than once?” Amber hesitantly raised her hand, looking at the rest of the group in apparent confusion.

                “Wouldn’t we just be resurrected?” Minhyuk asked, gesturing to the hall suggestively as he recalled one of their tales.

                Himchan smirked at the questions and raised a hand to forestall Jongup, whose mouth was already open to respond, from actually answering them.  “Your bodies have died, but that does not mean your soul cannot as well,” he explained with a direct glance at Amber.  “And only in the halls of Valhalla will you be reborn should death find you here,” he stated, voice laced heavily with warning as he raked them with his eyes.  “Even then, such a resurrection does not take place until the onset of the next dawn.”

                “So… it’s not unlike Midgard then,” Jieun commented, holding her scepter clasped in her hands uncertainly before her.

                “Nope!  Just with bigger enemies,” Jongup explained quickly, a smile at odds with the nature of the discussion on his face.

                “Jongup…” Himchan groaned as he placed his gauntleted hand over his face and shook his head, stifling a sigh.

                “What?” he asked, briefly oblivious.  “Oh!” he yelped when understanding dawned and he jumped in place, waving his hands in front of him animatedly.  “That just means they’re bigger targets and easier to see.  You’ll be fine,” he laughed nervously, falling silent when he noticed Himchan just looking at him through his parted fingers.

                “Jongup.  Will you kindly let Lord Odin know I will be returning to the front lines with the newest recruits?” he instructed, standing up straighter as he found his height challenged by Zico and Minhyuk’s…

                “Of course, Himchannie,” he waved and hurried off, armor shifting quietly at each step, glad to have something to do.

                Himchan watched him go with a masked expression, though he could not entirely hide the sadness lingering in his eyes.  Jongup wasn’t always so… eager to please or quite so naïve, but…  It was necessary.  For both of them.  With a start, he pulled himself back to the group still watching him in apparent confusion, completely oblivious to his thoughts.  “Einherjar.  Come.  The fields of battle await us,” he instructed, waving the five after him with a glance at the remaining members in the hall.

                Most were recovering fighters from the front of the last vestiges of their reserves waiting until they were truly needed, maintaining their final bastion.  All hoped it would never come this far, but they were not fools enough to believe that prophecy could be circumvented so easily.

                There was some quiet grumbling behind him as they fell into line at his heels.  They felt raw and uncoordinated, for all that Daehyun had tested them first.  He would not have sent them if he didn’t feel they were ready but until he could see for himself, he would have to withhold judgment on their abilities.

                The distance to their war camp was a fair distance and yet, not nearly far enough.  They’d had to give up ground in the most recent months and the enemy pressed harder with each passing day.  It was slow going and the Jottuns paid dearly for their efforts, but they were making progress…

                His band was in for another surprise when they wandered into the sprawling camp well behind the lines of actual combat.  The most recent swath of land was still littered with the bodies of hacked apart and scorched giants, none of whom the enemy had come to retrieve yet, though their own fallen had been gathered as soon as there was a lull in the combat.

                “Put your backs into it!” a loud voice roared, practically shaking the ground, making all the newest recruits uneasy as they sought the speaker.  “By Freya’s wrath and my hammer!  If that barricade isn’t finished by sundown, you’ll have more to worry about than the wretched mongrel giants!” the mountain of a man growled over a group of figures working feverishly to construct the wooden wall nearly twice their height and several dragonlengths in distance.

                None of them offered any complaint over the god, obvious now for the very power that circled around him and the hammer he wore on his back: the famed Mjolnir.  With long blonde hair, thick chorded muscles in his arms and chest, and a figure to make any man nervous, it was no wonder they offered not a word against him.

                “Odin’s beard!”  “That’s Thor!” Zico and Minhyuk commented at the same time, staring; not unlike the rest of their rather taken aback companions.

                “Yes.  And a terror on the field,” Himchan nodded, herding them away from the sight.  “I warn you now.  When the fighting starts, keep your distance.  His concern will not be you but rather the enemy seeking to topple us.”  Their faces paled at the warning but all of them held his gaze, confirming they heard him.  “Now.  We’re just going to make a quick pass on the outskirts of the line.  If I’m any judge, we should be able to handle a scouting party but anything larger and we’re heading back.  Any questions?”

                Amber raised her hand, flushing lightly when all eyes turned to her.  She took a breath and nodded to herself.  “How would you prefer our placement and are we,” she gestured at herself and Jieun, “free to use all offensive powers or is our focus to keep them alive?”  She pointed at the rest of the group, frowning back when they seemed disgruntled that assistance might actually be needed.

                “Good question,” Himchan conceded with a satisfied smile, bringing his hands together and concentrating as he expended some of his power in creation.  “Here.  You’ll each receive one potion.  Should you need immediate healing, drink this.  After that, it will fall to the two of you,” he pointed at his casters.  “Have you the necessary spells stored?”

                “Of course,” Jieun nodded, raising her scepter and gesturing over the head, coaxing it to warm life so that he could read the spells she had chosen to charge it with.

                Satisfied, Himchan nodded and looked at Amber.  She copied the other’s gesture and he smiled in turn.  “No greater magics,” he warned at last, offering no further explanation while he turned to regard the others.  “CL will keep an eye none approach the casters and Minhyuk will be the defensive guard.  Zico…  Just don’t run into the thick of things,” he urged, waving at the group to follow as he pulled a longsword from the scabbard at his side and pointed ahead.

                “Time to fight some giants!” Zico cheered, bolstering his image with very obvious false bravado, though it broke the tension and made the others relax slightly.

                “You know what they say,” CL smirked, adjusting the crossbow in her grip to rest it on her shoulder, the bolt carefully secured and not ready to fire at the merest mishap.  “The bigger they are-”

                “The more chance they have of landing on you when they fall,” Minhyuk finished seriously, earning a delayed burst of laughter at the morbid but unexpected statement.

                While it was certainly not what he had expected to hear, there was an element of truth to it that made Himchan shake his head, though at least he was smiling with the rest, even if it was a bit strained.  “Let’s go,” he urged, gesturing for them to fall into line.

 

                Daehyun didn’t stop walking or act any differently, though both Zelo and Taeil seemed to notice his distraction when the Valkyr stopped paying them much attention.  Daehyun? the youngest asked, curiosity evident in his tone.

                “We’re being followed,” he responded, taking a slow glance around enough to peer over his shoulder for a glimpse of his tracker.  It wasn’t much of a view but he gained the distinct impression of someone taller than him with dirty blonde hair and more of a vagabond’s clothes.  It was also equally obvious that he didn’t want him to know that he was being tailed by the way the stranger ducked out of sight almost immediately.

                Is it the necromancer? Taeil asked, already antsy at the possibility.

                “No,” Daehyun responded without any hesitation.  He would have felt that sort of presence following them long before he had to actually see him.

                Then why would someone be following you? Zelo couldn’t help but ask, just as baffled as the other two.  He looked as common as the others and had no supplies on his person to speak of.  There was nothing worth stealing in his current guise so it was indeed a mystery.

                “I have no idea,” the Valkyr sighed, striding forward with obvious purpose before he ducked into one of the various pathways that split off from the main road.  His pursuit followed along quickly enough and he made his way along until he found a restaurant suitable for his purposes.

                What are you doing? both Einherjar asked almost at the same time.

                “I’m turning the tables,” Daehyun smirked, sliding through the relative crowd with ease before he practically disappeared out the back amidst the surprised cries of the patrons who didn’t know what was going on.

                Once outside, it was an easy enough matter to clamber up between the buildings where only a few persons had the even remote chance of seeing him.  A normal human probably would have struggled, but he was a Valkyr only disguised as a human and the normal laws of Midgard didn’t quite apply to him.  Short of flying, he could still do many things normal humans couldn’t as evidenced by his pursuer’s stunned stop when he made the exit just behind him.

                “What the…?  Where did he go?” the male below murmured in surprise, his deep voice resonating softly as it reached Daehyun’s ears, head tilting in thought as he listened.  The stranger scratched his head in puzzlement and turned around slowly, glancing upwards once so that Daehyun had to duck behind the edge of the roof for cover quickly.

                The Valkyr waited for a moment to make sure he hadn’t been spotted but after a brief but quiet pause, he peeked back over the edge and took another long look at the figure when he walked down the alleyway towards the street where various pedestrians wandered by.  He was slightly bowlegged and broader than Daehyun; nothing about him gave any clue as to why he had decided to follow him though.  Well, not counting the fact that he seemed to be one that actually lived off the streets, if his attire was any indication, but again, why him?  He had nothing of value; not even the appearance of a belt with goods or anything of that nature.

                Do you know him? Zelo asked when they remained hidden, just watching the retreating figure, for a bit longer than he felt necessary.

                “No.”

                It seems like he might know you, Taeil commented with interest.  Hey.  Maybe he knows something about you from before?  You know.  The part you don’t remember.

                “I don’t know him and there is no way he knows me.”  His tone brooked no argument though he felt both Zelo and Taeil exchanging looks that clearly stated they felt otherwise.  “I don’t!” he grumbled again, standing up and stepping back as he let his power flow through him, replacing his clothes with the telltale armor, falling back into complete invisibility.

                It was more dangerous with the necromancer or his minions in the area since they likely would be able to feel his presence, if not see him outright, but he needed the invisibility right now.  Floating above the city, Daehyun fell into line behind the stranger, keeping an eye on him as he made his way through the thinning crowds.  He made no effort to draw attention to himself and simply slunk by, little more than a presence felt on the outskirts of one’s peripheral but not actually noticed unless he wanted to be.

                Whoever he was, he wasn’t just a regular citizen…

                Is he another Einherjar?  Daehyun’s thoughts were interrupted by the unexpected inquiry and he paused to look inward at the two within him.

                “Why are you so curious?” he mused, caught between annoyance and genuine interest.  It had been a while since any had taken notice to what he’d done or why and it was… different.  Odin paid him no mind save for what he could do or perform for him and the rest of the gods treated him similarly.  He was their servant; more than a human but less than a god and generally not worth interest otherwise.

                What else are we supposed to be? Taeil responded for them, amusement dancing in his tone.

                I’ve been thinking, Zelo started to speak, drawing both their attention.  You know how Odin said not to send the one that you had chosen?  Well… how do you choose an Einherjar anyway?  I’ve seen you do that whole mediation thing where you just sit still for a while but you never told us how you found us.

                That’s right! Taeil joined in quickly, eager to hear the answer.

                Daehyun frowned slightly, keeping an eye on his quarry as he drifted along.  The stranger hadn’t gone far but it seemed he was heading for the seedier side of town.  “I… hear you.  Or rather, I hear your soul,” he finally explained after a moment during which he could feel them hanging on his words.  “Before you die, with Einherjar, I am able to hear an echo of your death before it happens.  Sometimes louder than others.  I almost missed Minhyuk but Jieun’s voice brought me in range,” he shrugged with an uncertain expression on his face.

                And you heard my voice, right? Taeil grinned, cringing when he realized it would make his companion’s being shunned obvious if that was the case.

                “Ne,” Daehyun murmured in response, floating closer to the strange male when he disappeared into a rather decrepit looking building, glancing to either side to be sure he wasn’t followed.  He paused on the threshold and looked up, right at Daehyun though the Valkyr knew he couldn’t see him.

                Getting his first good and up close look at his face, he blinked, pleasantly surprised.  He had a hard… no, it was more a sad aura around his troubled eyes, but his full lips looked ready to smile, the edges pulling up slightly at the corner of his mouth as if it was something he did often; or at least used to.  He held himself well, muscled body toned and used to the hardship of the street, bearing a pride that stated loudly he was no mere thief or poor man for that matter.

                Daehyun? Zelo intruded again, clearly nervous at being left hanging after apparently asking another question the Valkyr had missed.

                “Huh?” he shook himself and watched as the male disappeared inside, surprised at his lapse.  It was not usual for him to be distracted by a mortal to that degree.

                If you didn’t hear me, why did you make me an Einherjar? he asked again, holding his breath as if nervous to hear the answer

                Daehyun touched down and stared at the door in front of him, pausing on the blocked threshold as he debated the question while the odd pedestrian walked nearby, unaware of his presence.  Why had he chosen Zelo?  The question posed an odd dilemma for the Valkyr because he did not have an answer for it.  At least not one that would make anybody satisfied; least of all himself.  Whether he thought Zelo deserved to be one or not had no bearing on what he actually did.  Or at least that was how it was supposed to work…

                With a frustrated shake of his head, he walked through the door and tilted his head to the side when he came upon the stranger speaking with two others, one male and one female, in hushed and hurried tones.  “Sleipner’s mane, Yongguk.  Calm down,” the young woman urged, sitting up in the chair she’d been lounging in when he came in.  She flicked her chin length, straight black hair back and leaned forward, resting her elbows on her knees, fingerless gloved hands intertwined in front of her as she looked at him with one eye, the other covered by a lock of bangs.

                “What happened, Bang?” the other male asked, approaching the agitated newcomer who seemed more confused than anything.  They were nearly even in height and build, though he had slightly more exotic features and an almost unflappable presence about him.

                Yongguk scratched his head and started pacing in small circles, his tone uncertain.  “I’m either going crazy or I swear I saw a ghost today,” he murmured, brow furrowed while he chewed on his bottom lip, gesturing with his hand animatedly.

                “Eh?” the woman quirked her head to the side, her visible eyebrow raised in inquiry.  “What are you talking about?  You haven’t been in the cups again have you?”

                “Minzy,” the other male smacked her lightly on the arm with an annoyed expression on his distinct face, clearly visible under the spiked, dark brown hair.

                “What?” she grumbled, glaring up at him as she pointed towards their companion.

                “No,” Yongguk snorted in amusement with a roll of his eyes before he settled down to a more subdued manner.  “I know he’s gone, but I swear on Baldr’s Honor I saw him on the streets today.  Frost giants, I followed him until he disappeared…” he trailed off, looking even more uncertain, though no less desperate.

                “Bang…” the other male murmured almost apologetically.  “It’s been almost six years.  There’s no way it was Daehyun,” he reminded him gently but firmly in a tone that told him they weren’t going to argue about this again.

                “But I heard him, Soohyun.  He sounded exactly the same,” Yongguk explained, moving closer to both of them with an almost pleading expression.  “He was older and his voice had deepened but it was him, guys.”

                While they tried to comfort or explain why he had to be seeing things, the Valkyr remained completely motionless, positive that he’d misheard.  See!  He does know you, Taeil grinned, very satisfied.

                “Those that die don’t just come back.  You said it yourself.  You buried him when you left that valley,” Minzy stood up and explained determinedly, hands balled into fists at her side.  “And even if he did come back, he wouldn’t be the same,” she added with a frown.

                You died? Zelo asked, looking between the trio in confusion, much like the Valkyr.

                “It’s not me,” Daehyun maintained steadfastly, yet he was unable to turn away from the conversation, morbidly intrigued.

                “Minzy’s right.  It must have just been someone that looked like him.  We all have a twin around somewhere,” Soohyun reminded him with a shrug of his shoulders.  “Come on,” he urged, clapping the distracted male on the shoulder and tugging him further into the shadowy building, mostly illuminated by a rickety hanging lamp and the hearth fire weakly throwing off what heat it could.  “It’s about supper time anyway,” he reminded them both.

                “Great.  More watery stew,” Minzy sighed, though she hopped up and pushed Yongguk along from behind, helping propel their group towards the fire.

                Yongguk remained silent but allowed himself to be pulled and prodded, his gaze fixated on the necklace between his fingers instead.  After a moment, he stuffed it back under his shirt, but not before Daehyun had a chance to see it too and he frowned.  He didn’t know the symbol the other male wore and he still refused to believe he was in any way connected with this… Yongguk, but he was undeniably confused.

                When their conversation turned to slightly lighter material, Daehyun turned away.  “When was the last time you had a roll in the hay?” Minzy asked, laughing at the blush that ran across Yongguk’s cheek at the question, further worsened by Soohyun’s amusement.

                “It’s not like that,” he defended himself, pointing the bent spoon at her.  “And besides, we’re still broke, remember?” he grumbled, taking a bite of food.

                “Eh.  We’ll work on that tomorrow.  At least as long as this lookalike doesn’t make another appearance,” Soohyun teased with a mischievous grin.

                “Guys…” Yongguk groaned, sighing heavily on the floor.

                We’re not staying? Taeil asked as they headed out of the building and into the darkened streets of Dalinore.

                “No.”

                But they weren’t done talking, Zelo pointed out.  What if it is connected to you?

                “It’s not,” Daehyun stated again, jaw firmed as he hopped into the air and started floating away, putting distance between him and the trio they’d just listened in on.

                What makes you so certain of that? Taeil annoyed him further by prodding.

                He was saved from having to actually give a response when he felt the approach of another power heading his way.  Eyes narrowed thoughtfully, Daehyun stopped where he was and pivoted in the air, searching for the sky for the newest arrival.  “Loki…” he grumbled, crossing his arms over his chest with a mildly displeased expression on his face.

                “Ah!  Dae Dae,” the dark haired, sharp featured god greeted irritatingly, ice blue eyes dancing with merriment.  “Fancy finding you here,” he smirked, tossing the shoulder length locks behind his cloaked shoulder.

                “What do you want, Loki?” the Valkyr muttered, just shy of actually being completely disrespectful.  Odin’s charge or not, it still didn’t behoove one to get on the Trickster god’s bad side.

                “I can’t just come to give my greetings to my favorite Valkyr?” Loki pouted, the expression both creepy and far more disarming than it should have been.  At Daehyun’s silence, he sighed and shrugged helplessly.  “Our Lord Odin has sent me as his messenger boy again,” he admitted in a long suffering tone.

                “And?” Daehyun prompted after another needlessly delayed pause.

                “Oh, you know.  Just the usual mustering of the humans for this or that,” he gestured with his hand and looked around without meeting the other’s gaze.

                “Then shouldn’t you be getting to it?”

                Loki looked offended at the suggestion and then waved at Daehyun with the same hand that had been floating in front of him a moment ago.  “Goodness Dae Dae.  You’re just no fun sometimes,” he smirked, adjusting his armor for lack of anything better to do.  He tilted his head to the side and started to head off but paused and held up one finger instead while he slowly turned back around.  “I did forget… one thing.”

                “Which was?” Daehyun asked, fidgeting impatiently.

                “The All Father commands you leave the necromancer alone for the time being.  Your attention is needed elsewhere.”  At Daehyun’s slack-jawed, disbelieving expression, Loki shrugged and pointed towards the southeast.  “Valinceburg, Dae Dae.  That is your destination now,” he grinned cheekily and waved in an entirely unmanly manner.

                “What’s in Valinceburg, Loki?” Daehyun asked quickly, taking a quick step after the retreating god.

                “I’m sure you’ll figure it out, little Valkyr,” Loki taunted with a sly wink before he darted away at inhuman speed.

                That was Loki? Taeil asked in disbelief.

                “Surprised?” Daehyun muttered with irritation, still glaring after where the god had disappeared in the distance.

                A little…

                “I wish I could say I was,” he sighed, shaking his head and glaring back towards the north, where he had originally intended upon heading.  What was so important in Valinceburg that he would be told not to worry about something like the necromancer?  Even if the messenger was ill-received, that alone was enough to make Daehyun curious.  “Let’s go find out,” he murmured to himself, leaving the city of Dalinore behind, all thoughts of Yongguk and why he knew his name pushed to the back of his mind for the time being.

 

(a/n: Ayah!  There I go with another update sort of running away with me.  >.>  I had meant for it to be a bit shorter but I hope you'll forgive the length.  lol  A fair bit happened this update and we have some new cast members!  Huzzah!

If you're unfamiliar with Norse mythology, Sleipner was Odin's eight legged horse and one of Loki's offspring as well (it was a strange story where he transformed into a mare to distract a stallion that would have made Odin lose a bet against a giant and thus resulted in him bearing a foal).  Thor is... well... himself.  If you've seen the movie, then how he acts in the first part is pretty much spot on; his hammer Mjolnir included.  And as for Loki; he is the quintessential trickster god and he loves to tease, among other things.  Freya was mentioned briefly and she is Odin's right hand goddess and often times attributed to being a co-ruler in Valhalla.  Hel is the goddess of the underworld, also known as Nifleheim which is where all the souls of the dead go that aren't Einherjar.  And Fafnir was the dragon Sigurd (also known as Siegfried) slayed in one of their tales.  Depending on how the updates go, I should be able to introduce more of the pantheon before too long and additional Einherjar as well.

How did you like the split scenario approach?  Should I focus on one aspect and then the other or do you like the dual attention to both parties in the same update?

Either way, thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed!  Please look forward to the next update!)