Brahms

Daehyun: Valkyr of the Gods

                Defeating the necromancer as instructed left a bad taste in the back of Daehyun’s mouth as he toed the burnt corpse with his boot and continued to inspect the remains and the area around him.  He was powerful to be sure and had succeeded in wounding both Youngjae and Taeil, but not fatally so.  His own interaction had been somewhat minimal after the initial charge, fending off the worst of his dark attacks and allowing the Einherjar to work together in order to bring him down.  They had done well.   Even Yongguk, for all the attention he paid to their foe…

                Wearily, he wiped his face with his gloved hand, frowning at the hardness, and passed by the corpse as he moved further in to inspect the rest of his lair.  It was definitely the source of the Draugr’s blood that had poisoned Amber but he was not of a strength to cause such concern for a Valkyr to have been sent after him.  There had to be something else.  In fact, he knew there was something else because he felt it and that was what he was aiming to find out.  With a quick glance at his Einherjar grouped behind him, warily scoping out the dark and rather morbid cave as well, he moved further into the necromancer’s defiled sanctuary.  Disturbingly, divine power called to him amidst the blood energy lingering here.

                “Are we all good?” Taeil asked, still checking himself over after having been healed by a potion from the Valkyr since Youngjae hadn’t been up to the task of using two charges to heal them both.

                “Ne.  Well enough here,” Changmin nodded, using the tips of his swords to sift through the rubble nearby.  He didn’t trust actually touching anything with his bare hands because it all stank of death and wrongness.  Nor was a fan of magic users in general, Youngjae grudgingly aside, and that only because he was now a teammate whether he liked it or not.

                “Oh, Min!  Be careful near that,” Youngjae cautioned, carefully getting to his feet and moving closer to the taller male.  “That’s an Obsidian power crystal,” he explained, pointing at the pitch black, oddly shaped looking rock thing nestled in a holder on one of the untouched tables.

                “Surely it has a more elaborate name than that,” Taeil frowned at the strange object, looking to the mage for confirmation.

                “Oh, it does, but you’d never remember it,” Youngjae dismissed, stating simple fact as opposed to being intentionally condescending.

                “So?” Taeil asked, shifting closer with Yongguk and Zelo moving in their general direction as well, the former keeping an eye on the receding Valkyr.

                “Just don’t touch it,” Youngjae sighed with a shake of his head.

                “What does it do?” Zelo asked, peering over the mage’s shoulder to get a better look, lip curled in disgust when the light of one of the torches flickered a sickly red color upon its surface.

                “Shoo,” he waved at Changmin with his free hand, using his scepter to gently nudge him away to the taller male’s annoyance.  “It’s just as likely to kill you as it is to steal your life force if you don’t know how to handle it,” he explained promptly.

                “Shouldn’t we just destroy it then?” Yongguk asked, stepping close with his sword ready to do just that.

                “No, no, no!” Youngjae yelped, waving his hands in front of Yongguk as he used his body to block the path.  “Are you mad?!” he scowled.  “Destroying it is even worse than touching it because then you just release all the energy already stored in it and kill all of us at the same time,” he huffed, shoulders slumped in semi-defeat.  “Don’t you people learn anything about magical artifacts?” he lamented sadly.

                “Only what we need to,” Taeil shrugged, laughing when Youngjae slapped one hand over his face, dragging it down slowly so his features were briefly warped before he turned his attention to the rest of the table, making sure to keep an eye on any who might dare come too close.

                Yongguk shifted further into the opening to check in on Daehyun, frowning when the Valkyr was almost impossible to see in the gloom save for the glowing, blue light on his sword.  He felt someone watching him though, and turned to meet Changmin’s eyes.  “What?” he asked when the taller male didn’t say anything.

                “Nothing.  It just seems that you’re awfully interested in the Valkyr is all,” he shrugged, sheathing one blade and keeping the other out, inspecting it keenly in the dim light.  It had a knick in it he wasn’t entirely happy about.

                “Yongguk thinks he knows Daehyun,” Zelo answered helpfully for the other male.

                “Zelo,” Yongguk frowned, rolling his eyes when the youngest among them shrugged.

                “Well you do,” he added quickly.

                He shook his head and let his gaze linger on the Valkyr, recalling the way he’d looked when he saw him looming over him not that long ago.  “He reminds me of someone I knew years ago…” he trailed off quietly.

                “A human though, right?” Taeil jumped in, adjusting his shield to his back and wriggling until it fell comfortably into place.  Yongguk’s silence was his answer and he sighed while he twiddled his thumbs.

                “What if it is the same person though?” Zelo asked, taking a step closer to Yongguk and laying a hand upon his shoulder, following his gaze.

                “That’s impossible, Zelo,” Changmin snorted in amusement.  “Why would the Valkyr, a divine being mind you, live among the mortals?  More importantly, why wouldn’t he remember if he did?” he gestured with his free hand.

                “Lots of reasons actually,” Youngjae commented from his corner where he was prodding at various gruesome adornments on the table’s surface, half-listening to them but otherwise distracted.

                “Eh?” Yongguk asked, very much intrigued.  “What do you mean?”

                “Hmm…” Youngjae hummed, leaning closer to something else before he belatedly realized he’d been asked a question.  “What?  Oh.  Well, it’s not exactly uncommon for the gods to spend time among mortals.  Of course they look over us but they do enjoy their sport,” he laughed with a hint of bitterness to his tone.  “And with all the power at their disposal at any given time, the war in Asgard notwithstanding, it’s not particularly difficult to imagine all manner of things they could do with it.”

                “Like?” Taeil prompted when no one else said anything and Youngjae seemed to get distracted by something again.

                “Huh?  Oh.  Good question,” he laughed, rubbing the back of his head with one leather gloved hand.  At their exasperated looks he shrugged and went on, “I’m not a god so I don’t know.  But…” he held up his finger with a winning grin, “I have theories and like Dara, we both had ways of actually communicating with the gods.”

                “Seriously?!” Zelo gasped, eyes wide at the thought.

                “Of course,” Youngjae preened visibly at the excited expression.

                “So that means you’ve spoken with Odin then, right?” Changmin asked with a curious look.

                “Er…  Not exactly,” Youngjae wilted slightly.

                “Thor then?” Taeil tossed out.  At Youngjae’s reluctant shake with a grimace on his face, they tilted their heads in confusion.

                “Hel?” Zelo tried.

                “Oh gods no!” Youngjae gasped with an emphatic shake of his head.  “She may be Loki’s daughter but she’s absolutely terrifying to look upon,” he shuddered, spasming briefly as the thought refused to go away.

                “So who have you seen or spoken with?” Yongguk prompted, letting his eyes rest on the mage briefly before squinting back at Daehyun who appeared to have found something.

                “Well…  Actually, I’ve only spoken to Elli really,” he admitted with great reluctance and while the rest seemed baffled, Taeil at least gave him a look of recognition.

                “Really…?  The goddess of old age?” he asked skeptically.

                “Eternity, thank you very much,” Youngjae retorted with a finger in the knight’s face.  “She at least has the grace to not try and banish me outright.  And she actually answers some of my questions,” he defended her quickly.  “Sometimes.”

                “So wouldn’t that make her like an ancient goddess then?” Zelo mused thoughtfully.

                “Hey.  She beat Thor in a wrestling match once,” Youngjae told them knowingly.  “It’s really not wise to challenge eternity.”  Briefly confused, he frowned at Yongguk waving at him.  “What?  Oh…” he trailed off, noticing the Valkyr returning.  Perhaps it wasn’t such a good thing to be quite so talkative in his presence…

                A hush fell over the group as Daehyun returned, expression unreadable which was actually more unnerving than if he had been actively angry at them.  His gaze fell upon Yongguk intently as he stated, “A Valkyr would not spend time among the mortals as a god might.  When we are summoned, we do not have time for such frivolous activities.” Yongguk winced at the words and looked away, his gaze sliding back regardless to look at the shorter male out of the corner of his eyes.

                “But there are three of you, Daehyun,” Youngjae gestured.  “Why can’t the workload just be split up to give you all more time to do as you please, instead of doing that weird sleeping, waking, sleeping and waking pattern that you’ve got going on?” he inquired.

                “Because Lord Odin has said so,” Daehyun responded simply.

                “But when you were born… er, created, you all worked together,” the mage frowned thoughtfully, clearly trying to puzzle something out which was only irking the Valkyr more.

                “We don’t have time for this,” he stated gruffly, materializing various weapons before him.  “The necromancer came into various divine items he should never have gotten his hands upon.  May Rune’s Fate serve you well,” he handed over a plain enough looking longsword to Yongguk who felt power stir under his hand as soon as he accepted it.  “Youngjae.  Be careful when you wield the Element’s Scepter,” he warned, handing off an ornate and intricately carved scepter topped with a single large prism.

                “Take Eir’s Blessing in the hopes that you will not need it,” he handed a small crescent earring to Changmin who squinted at it uncertainly.  “It will heal smaller wounds and keep you from dying outright,” he gave the dual wielding swordsman a knowing look.

                “Ah,” Changmin nodded, removing his earring and replacing it with the one Daehyun gave him.

                “Weth’s Fury and Forseti’s Honor will serve you both well,” he explained, handing Zelo a massive two handed sword that positively hummed with pent up energy and a kite shield to replace Taeil’s, the shining surface completely unblemished.  “Come.  There is much to discuss,” he explained, starting to walk ahead of them, leaving them to follow in his wake.

                “What did you find?” Yongguk asked, partially blocking Daehyun’s path with a hand catching his arm lightly.

                Daehyun stopped immediately, swamped by a blinding vision that took over his senses, showing him the younger Yongguk from his first vision.  He was laughing at something, gummy grin wide on his face while one hand rubbed his sandy blonde hair.  The other was clasping… his?

                “Brahms,” he answered without intending to, blinking several times to clear his vision as he pulled his hand free, giving Yongguk a wary glare.  “Don’t touch me,” he warned, cringing when Youngjae’s voice interrupted.

                “The Brahms?!  Seriously?!” he flailed, practically squealing in his excitement.

                “Who’s that?” Zelo asked, uncertainly looking between the Valkyr, Yongguk, and the mage.

                “Yah!  You guys know nothing,” he wailed with an emphatic empty gesture.  “He is the only known instance of an Einherjar becoming the Lord of the Undead!” he gasped excitedly.

                “Youngjae!” Daehyun snapped, startling the mage.  “Brahms is no laughing matter and I must speak with Odin about his hand in this immediately.”  With that, he brushed past Yongguk who continued to watch him closely, and headed towards the entrance, trusting the Einherjar to follow regardless.

                When Zelo came close to peer into his face, he looked at the hand that had caught Daehyun’s and then back at his companion, smiling slightly.  “Did you see that?” he asked, his tone deep but soft.

                “I saw him get mad at you again,” Zelo shrugged, watching while the rest of their group moved on.

                “No.  Before that.  When I grabbed his arm,” he explained, closing his hand slowly.  Zelo shrugged uncertainly and shook his head.  “For just an instant, his eyes looked human.  Exactly like his.”

                “Okay…  Come on, Yongguk,” Zelo urged, slinging an arm around the shorter male’s shoulders to get him moving, wondering if it was possible for Einherjar to get a little loopy at all.  Then again, when they got to the entrance and saw Daehyun pacing and muttering to himself, Zelo had to ask himself the same thing about Valkyrs too.

                “Come on, Uppie.  Where are you at?  I know you’re practically glued to that damn thing,” he grumbled, keeping his eyes turned up to the night sky where clouds could not be found in the starlit canvas.  “Come on, come on, come on,” he urged taking quick steps one way and turning around to go the opposite direction, repeating himself while his Einherjar watched.

                “Eh…  Daehyun?” Yongguk started to ask with his finger raised in front of him.

                “Oh!  I know,” Daehyun gasped stopping and holding his hands in front of him, his back to the Einherjar.  It didn’t take Zelo or Taeil long to figure out what he was doing since they’d seen him do it before but the others watched in rapt fascination, especially Youngjae who shifted around to get a better look, when he materialized the divine artifacts he’d retrieved and subsequently sent them to Valhalla in a blinding burst of light and energy.

                “Amazing…” Youngjae breathed, staring at the spot where he had last seen the moving ball of light.

                “What was that?” Changmin asked with a furrowed brow.

                “Aha!” Daehyun cheered, grinning broadly, oblivious to the warm smile on Yongguk’s face as he watched him.  “Uppie!” he greeted with a relieved breath.

                “Daehyunnie!” Jongup smiled, waving excitedly, eyes flickering to the still staring young man behind him.  “Er…” he pointed with a tilt to his head.

                Zelo nudged Yongguk with his elbow as Daehyun turned around with a sigh.  “Yongguk,” he muttered, shaking his head when the thief raised his hands in immediate surrender.  Mildly satisfied with that answer, he regarded his youngest sibling again.  “Is Lord Odin nearby?” he asked quickly, focusing on his news first.

                Jongup shook his head and shrugged.  “He went to the front lines where Channie is.  I’m not sure when he’ll be back.  What’s up?” he asked, settling in to see if he could help.

                “What about Lady Freya?” he asked hurriedly, peering over his sibling’s shoulder as if he could somehow make one of them manifest.

                “Well… yes, but what’s this about, Hyunnie?” Jongup asked, clearly wanting to be useful in some way.

                “Uh…  I must speak with her at once.  Will you let her know that I have completed my mission in regards to the necromancer but advise her that Brahms may be involved.”

                “Who?” Jongup blinked in confusion, eyebrows drawing together as he tried to think about he was.

                “You don’t…?”  He stopped before the question could be completed and he shook his head.  “He’s someone that Channie met in one of his awakenings,” he explained with a forced smile, trying to be reassuring.

                “That’s odd.  I don’t remember him mentioning anything about him to me,” Jongup commented with a hint of sadness, usually happy face somewhat troubled.  “Am I supposed to know him?” he asked, biting his thumbnail nervously.

                Daehyun laughed with a quick smile.  “Uppie.  If you were supposed to know about him, someone would have told you by now,” he promised earnestly, gesturing with his hands in a soothing motion, ignoring the men behind him.   “That’s why I need to speak with Freya.  I need her insight on this,” he explained, waving his hand back towards his Einherjar.  “She would know if we need to act against him or not.”

                “Sure… Daehyunnie,” Jongup answered with a slow and reluctant nod.  “I’ll get her right away.”  The image dropped much quicker than they expected and Daehyun sighed heavily, shoulders drooping.

                “You were hiding something from him, weren’t you?” Taeil asked while he his chin with his fingers.

                Daehyun held up one hand to forestall any further questions, not looking back at them.  He felt a tentative hand press against his shoulder, the weight registering over his armor.  “Daehyunnie?”

                “I forgot he doesn’t remember…” he spoke again without meaning to.  He didn’t even have to look to know who had approached him.  The sound of his voice and the feel of his presence were unmistakable and… familiar.

                “Remember what?” the same deep and concerned voice asked, closer this time.

                “Anything,” he whispered, briefly overwhelmed by that knowledge.  For just the barest of seconds, he actually wanted to turn and hold to Yongguk, to feel the strong arms around him…  Abruptly, he shrugged off the gentle hand and rounded on the taller male.  “I told you not to touch me,” he glared.

                “I just want to help,” Yongguk responded automatically, holding his ground as the tension grew thick in the group.

                “I don’t need your help, Yongguk.”  He froze when a higher pitched voice echoed through his head.  Gukkie!  Help me.  I can’t get down.  Stuck in a tree…  Dazed by the unexpected intrusion, he held up his hand and looked away, taking a calming breath.  “Please,” he whispered, dropping his gaze.

                “Hyunnie…” Yongguk trailed off, holding his hand up uncertainly while he glanced at his companions who seemed just as confused as him.

                “Daehyun?” a female voice questioned, appearing at the same time the Eye of the Gods was activated.

                “Lady Freya,” Daehyun collected himself immediately, pulling his shoulders back to kneel in front of her.

                The Queen of the Gods surveyed the group and when she noticed Yongguk, her eyes narrowed slightly.  It wasn’t more than the briefest of pauses and most probably wouldn’t have thought anything of it, but Yongguk had been watching people for the past six years of his life.  That wasn’t something he was just going to miss…

                “Jongup said you had news of Brahms,” she prompted, causing the Valkyr to look up.  “I have sent him on an errand.  It is safe to talk,” she assured him with a warm smile, keeping her gaze focused on him and not the staring Einherjar.

                “Yes your Ladyship,” Daehyun bowed as he stood up, standing tall at last to speak to her further.  “I have reason to believe he had a hand in the necromancer’s activities.  To what end, I do not yet know, but I am ready to investigate it.”

                Freya deliberated for a moment, tapping her bottom lip with her fingers before she gave any sort of response.  “You may head towards Brahms’s Castle for now.  Do not engage him yet though.  I must speak with Odin first.”  She paused and then nodded, bestowing upon the Valkyr a very pleasant and satisfied smile.  “You have done well, Daehyun.  Be careful in your travels and much success I will wish you in locating Einherjar.  In your next group, you will send him.  Understood?” she asked, pointing at Yongguk specifically.

                Daehyun turned to see who she was indicating and then frowned in confusion.  “Yongguk?”

                “Yes,” she confirmed with a serene nod.  She saw the uncertainty in his face and added almost as an afterthought, “We have need of those with skills such as his.”

                “Of course… your Ladyship,” he agreed hesitantly to Yongguk’s annoyance.

                “Safe travels, Valkyr,” she waved in farewell, letting the image fade.

                The resultant silence was broken by Youngjae’s sigh.  “Wow…”

                “Hah!  The mage has a crush on Freya,” Changmin teased, shaking his finger at the blushing caster.

                “No I don’t,” he argued back.  “But her descriptions in books don’t do her justice,” he explained pointedly earning more ribbing from Changmin and then Taeil who joined in too.

                Daehyun ignored their exchange as he turned to look at Yongguk who had not moved from where he had been standing before she’d appeared.  “Why would she ask for you specifically?” he asked as if to himself, though his eyes never left Yongguk’s.  He did not entirely believe the additional explanation of needing one with his skills.  That applied to all Einherjar in the end.

                “You tell me,” was Yongguk’s equally quiet answer.

 

(a/n: Huzzah!  I'm trailing a bit behind where I want to be with updating regularly but I hope you enjoyed it.  ^_^  A couple BangDae moments (nothing huge I know...) but I'm still working on it.  And we've got a little bit more about Jongup who doesn't seem to remember much in general.  I wonder why that is...?  ;)  And why Freya's interest in Yongguk?  heh

So probably more questions than answers but we're making some progress.  I will be introducing Brahms before too long and if you're not familiar with the game Valkyrie Profile, he's probably one of the most awesome persons you run across, which is also part of why I'm having such a hard time choosing who to cast as his character.  I think I'll do a poll and see how that goes and then we can go from there!)