Parting Ways

Daehyun: Valkyr of the Gods

                Pensive from what had happened before and during the fight with the hags, Daehyun remained oddly silent as he flew his party towards the tentative location of Brahms’s castle.  He listened to them conversing with only part of his attention for his focus was directed elsewhere.  As Youngjae had suggested, their destination lay to the southwest and while it was not dark yet, it would be soon after they arrived.  Well, hopefully they would arrive there at least.  On occasion, the floating castle had been known to move of its own accord, though not often.

                The Lord of the Undead’s domain was a strange thing to be sure; existing in the hours of nightfall and inaccessible during the day.  There were none who sought it lightly, for good reason.  Daehyun only knew what he’d been told by Himchan ages ago for his older brother was the only one who remembered anything about the former Einherjar and as for himself…  He had never personally seen or faced off against the Undead Lord and he’d be lying if he said he wasn’t nervous about the upcoming encounter.  Himchan hadn’t been able to beat him the last time they’d crossed swords, though circumstances had been slightly different at the time.

                In all honesty, he didn’t know what to expect.  Did he still resemble the human he used to be or had his new role erted his form to become the monster Daehyun rather thought he was?  Would there be a lot of resistance or did he reign alone, the unchallenged sovereign in his domain?  The Valkyr had far more questions than answers and he couldn’t solve any of them until they actually arrived.

                Are you alright?  He was pulled from his thoughts by the deep voice that he found he no longer resented.  That wasn’t to say that he liked him yet, but he wasn’t as irritating as he’d started off in the beginning.

                “Ne,” he responded a bit too quickly, wincing internally when he knew that Yongguk wasn’t fooled by his answer.

                It’s going to be alright Daehyunni- he stopped before he could finish what he was about to call him and coughed to clear his throat.  Daehyun, he corrected with an abashed grin.  We’ll protect you, he promised and by ‘we’, everyone present knew he meant ‘I’.

                Aish.  Are you sure you weren’t supposed to be a prince or a poet? Minzy teased, giving him a merong when he glared at her in mild amusement.

                Hah!  Not Bang, Soohyun chuckled with a shake of his head.  That’s one of the few soft spots in him you hear talking, he gave a half smile.  He would never last long among the stuffy nobles though.

                You’re one to talk, Yongguk chuckled, falling into the old camaraderie easily.

                Hey!  We’re not all bad, Taeil interjected with a slightly offended air, easing himself into the conversation with some skill.

                You’re a noble? Zelo blinked in surprise, the first to ask the question that quickly came to everyone’s thoughts.

                Well I used to be, the short knight replied immediately, daring anyone to argue with the claim.

                Oh! Youngjae gasped and held up his hand as if a thought had occurred to him.  You’re from one of the kingdoms that only allow those that hold a title to become a knight aren’t you?

                Ne, Taeil agreed quickly with an uncertain smile.  It was the only way I would ever be able to join the ranks.

                At their curious looks, he gestured at his person and Changmin chuckled, One’s size has nothing to do with how you fare in combat.  They would have been missing out had you not been let in, he assured the shorter male with a pat on the shoulder.  Having fought side by side with the stalwart defender, he knew enough to believe otherwise.

                Too right! Zelo cheered with a fist in the air.

                Daehyun listened to them with a content smile pulling at his lips.  It was nice to have Einherjar one could rely on again, which made him wonder what it was that had made Soohyun and Minzy worthy.  Still keeping them on course, he turned his attention on them fully once more.  “So what was it that brought you to the hags’ nest anyway?”

                Minzy snorted with a roll of her eyes while Soohyun glanced at Yongguk meaningfully.  We didn’t actually know there was one and I don’t think they had a chance to send an alert out before the village was destroyed.  But Bang spoke so often of his hometown I wanted to at least take his remains back to where he’d met Daehyun.

                Soohyun kept going on and on about a final goodbye, Minzy shook her head and gave Yongguk a sidelong glance, falling quiet when he looked unusually shaken.  Yongguk? she asked when he seemed incapable of words.

                In truth, he had none and it was harder to meet their gazes as all eyes settled upon Yongguk in the respective silence.  He had not thought they would ever do such a thing for him… had never believed he would merit the journey or that it would have been needed.  Throat tight and with a lump stuck in it anyway, he offered a shaky smile and coughed, Thank you.

                Daehyun couldn’t help but feel touched by Yongguk’s reaction or the attempted gesture from his friends.  No wonder they had been deemed worthy of being Einherjar.  Thieves they might have been in life, but even they had their own code by which they lived and died.  “It is an honor to have chosen you both,” he assured them quietly, letting them all feel the weight of his gaze and his approval.  “All of you,” he amended shortly, for he could not doubt any that traveled with him now.

                Despite the treachery behind it, I am glad you found me, Valkyr, Youngjae added, scratching the back of his head in embarrassment.  He still couldn’t believe Dara had actually killed him but… it seemed to have worked out in his favor.

                The somber and sincere moment was interrupted when the air in front of the Valkyr shimmered, alerting them all to the usage of the Eye of the Gods.  Daehyun pulled up short and focused intently on the visage that appeared within the viewing portal, stuffing all of his thoughts and emotions as far back as he could.  “All Father,” Daehyun murmured in surprise, kneeling where he floated in immediate response to seeing the ruler of the gods as opposed to his younger sibling as expected.

                “Valkyr,” Odin nodded in acknowledgement.  “Have you a party prepared to join the ranks in Asgard?” he asked in a deceptively neutral tone.

                Daehyun glanced at those within his person and confirmed he had more than enough to send up: five was the usual size of a potential party but…  “I do, my lord, though I have not had a chance to determine the skill of my newest recruits.”

                Odin let his gaze review those present and nodded to himself.  “It matters not.  Keep the mage.  You will need him.  I have no use for the youngest of your party so he will remain behind as well,” he instructed, sectioning off Youngjae and Zelo while he focused on the rest of the group.

                “But-” Daehyun started to object, picking his head up while he abruptly made as if to stand up.

                “You dare to question my judgment?” Odin hissed in obvious displeasure.

                Daehyun winced, feeling the anger of the Einherjar keenly, as he felt it himself.  “No, my lord, but I have seen them fight and can vouch for all of them.”

                “I have made my decision, Valkyr,” the All Father reminded him sharply in a tone that brooked no argument.  “You will send them before you enter Brahms’ domain.  And you will do so soon for dusk approaches,” he warned with a stern stare.

                Carefully, Daehyun peeked up and commented, “Lady Freya instructed Yongguk’s presence specifically the last time she spoke with me.”

                “Did she?” Odin responded impassively, appearing to be unconcerned by the statement but it wasn’t too difficult to see he had not expected such a comment.  With a disdainful curl of his lip, he sighed, “We all know my Lady Freya has an eye for… capable young men.”

                Daehyun cringed at the reminder, not sure if he was exactly happy with the explanation.  It was no secret that she appreciated the opposite gender more than most, if only because she was the goddess of love and fertility, as well as battle.  He did not claim to be an expert in such observations, but none of those with him appeared particularly lacking so he still found it odd she would request him and only him…

                Because he could come up with no other inquiry, there was little enough he could say otherwise.  “Very well… my lord,” Daehyun responded by rote, his voice hardly more than a whisper while he kept his gaze down again.

                “You are dismissed.”

                At that Daehyun did look up again, compelled to ask since no information had been given of them voluntarily.  “What of my brothers, All Father?”

                Odin hesitated longer than Daehyun cared before he finally answered.  “They are both following my orders.  You need not concern yourself with their whereabouts at this time,” he assured the middle sibling dismissively.

                “With all due respect, Odin,” Daehyun commented, rising to his feet and watching the annoyance register on the god’s face when he failed to address him by a title.  “You have summoned my report with the Eye of the Gods in Jongup’s stead and Himchan is the one to whom I deliver my Einherjar for approval on the fields of battle in Asgard.  What else am I to believe then, that they are not in residence and thereby doubly worthy of my concern?”

                Had the times not been so dark and his own concern for his siblings any less, Daehyun would not have made such a question, but he was ersely happy about the pride he felt coming from Yongguk in response to his query.  Odin’s evasion did not sit well with him and he had no desire to dismiss his brothers as inconsequential, regardless of what the All Father said.

                “Valkyr.  You try my patience and test your luck,” Odin warned him severely, eyes flashing with the power that was his to command.  “You will do as I say without further question or I shall have you replaced.  You are not indispensable Daehyun and you would do well to remember that.”  He sighed once though as he collected himself, getting a hand on his displeasure, and begrudgingly granted a modicum of assurance as if on a second thought.  “They are as unharmed as yourself, Valkyr.  You would know if it was less than the truth.”

                Daehyun relaxed marginally under that reluctant morsel of information and finally conceded to Odin’s wisdom in that, even if the god’s tone left much to be desired.  He would know if something had happened to either Himchan or Jongup; for good or ill would be beyond him, but for the moment, they were exactly as Odin claimed.  “Yes, All Father,” he bowed his head slowly, chaffing under the required obedience.

                “Good.  You will report your findings in Brahms’ Castle once you have returned,” he stated simply, waving at the image to dispel it, leaving the Valkyr with his troubled Einherjar.

                But… we’re not soldiers, Minzy commented quietly when no one else said anything.

                “In Asgard, all Einherjar are soldiers,” Daehyun responded, grappling with his own emotions.  He had no such problem with sending those of his group to Valhalla as instructed; he’d done so more times than he could count really, but…  This time, he was reluctant to send them away.  No.  For some reason that was utterly beyond him, he didn’t want to send Yongguk to Valhalla.

                Daehyun…  The Valkyr winced when he heard Yongguk’s voice, the tone uncertain and worried for his own reasons.

                “Let’s go,” he stated with as much finality as he could muster before the others could come up with more of a response.

                Quelled by his command, the Einherjar settled uneasily within his person, speaking among themselves and voicing the concerns Daehyun did not wish to hear.  They were going to Asgard to fight in the war.  People, Einherjar and gods alike, died there and the only one that seemed miffed about not going was Youngjae because he thought it was an insult to his ability.  Then the others reminded him he was going to face Brahms with the Valkyr and his excitement returned wholeheartedly.

                To the best of his ability, Daehyun kept his focus instead on the horizon where his destination was supposed to lie.  The setting sun filled him with nervous trepidation for it meant not only that he would gain access to the Lord of the Undead’s domain, but also that he would part from the majority of his group.  Why must he send them all before he faced Brahms?  Wouldn’t more members be of greater assistance if the former Einherjar was as powerful as Himchan believed?

                “So stupid…” he grumbled to himself, slowing down when he saw the faint outline of some sort of establishment gradually materializing in the air in the distance before him.

                That’s it! Youngjae crowed excitedly, the arcane scholar in him having a field day in even trying to fathom the spells and power that would be necessary in maintaining the floating castle.  None of the rest of the group was quite as enthusiastic.

                As much as Yongguk didn’t want to go to Asgard, Zelo didn’t want to go into yet another place where more monsters awaited.  Is Brahms like the necromancer?  With all those zombies and draugrs?

                Would you rather fight a Jottun? Taeil asked with a grimace, recalling Daehyun’s description of what awaited them in the fields of battle above.

                Maybe, Zelo answered quickly with a pout.  I’ve never seen a Jottun after all.

                “Nor would I recommend it,” Daehyun added with a knowing shake of his head.  “They are nasty brutes with ill tempers and hardy dispositions making them remarkably difficult to kill outright.”  Worriedly, he let his eyes slide over the group he would be sending and settled very briefly on Yongguk.  He was never one to claim any gift of foresight or to know how one would die, like the goddess Frigg knew the fate of all but never told, and yet he had this ill feeling in the pit of his stomach that if he sent Yongguk to Asgard, nothing good would come of it.  “To me, Einherjar,” he instructed, drawing the group out of his person and materializing them before him.

                Having seen how it worked before, Taeil took a deep breath and prepared himself.  “I’m ready, Valkyr,” he smiled nervously, adjusting his shield so that it rested more comfortably upon his back.

                Shoulders slumped in reluctant acceptance, Zelo trudged to take his place behind Daehyun, dragging Youngjae as he did so while the mage continued to stare at the materializing castle not that far from them.  “It’s amazing!” he exclaimed, patting his person for some sort of writing utensils before he madly started to scratch words on the blank pages he could find first.

                “Any words of wisdom for the road?” Changmin asked, giving Soohyun a conciliatory pat on the back.

                “Don’t die,” Daehyun forced a smile for their benefit, nodding at each in turn before he tilted his head as Yongguk approached him.  Mildly confused, he blinked at the taller male and quirked his head to the side.  “Yes?” he asked, meeting the dark brown eyes in front of him.

                Yongguk reached his hands as if to grasp Daehyun’s head gear and then stopped himself.  “Can I…  Can I see you without the helmet once more?” he asked softly, searching the face partially hidden under the protective nose guard.

                It was certainly not a request he had been expecting but Daehyun gave a hesitant nod and gently gripped the winged helmet between his hands, sliding it off to rest the defensive gear against the armor of his plate.  His platinum blonde hair shone in the last vestiges of the disappearing light and revealed the ageless face of the Valkyr without obstruction.  “Like this?” he asked softly, unable to look away.

                “Perfect,” Yongguk smiled, the gummy grin making him appear far less formidable than the Valkyr knew he was.  Before he could talk himself out of it, Yongguk stepped forward and clasped Daehyun’s face in both hands, bending down slightly to pull the shorter male into his kiss, the distance of their bodies maintained by the presence of the helmet.

                Zelo’s jaw wasn’t the only one to drop open in mute surprise, though Youngjae was utterly oblivious, entranced by the magical castle nearby.  Changmin had to stifle a chuckle and Taeil grinned like a fool at the exchange.

                Daehyun froze, unable to react as his mind was swamped by another image that overtook all reality and threw him into a vision of a dark night, illuminated only by moonlight as Yongguk held him in his arms and promised, You can always count on me.  He took a shuddering breath when the taller male pulled away and stepped back, giving him space while he blinked in a daze, his head aching slightly when something within felt unsettled and off-kilter.

                “For luck,” Yongguk laughed in embarrassment as Soohyun and Minzy in particular heckled him from behind, shoving his shoulder and smacking him in the back of the head.

                “Eh…” he murmured, still trying to collect his senses while he put the helmet back on as a poor defense against his emotions.  “S-sure,” he stammered, flushing at his inability to speak properly for the moment.  Clearing his throat with more force than necessary, he squashed the confusion Yongguk’s advance had wrought in him and took a deep breath, holding his hands before him.  There was no time to think about the vision… or the kiss.

                “Be safe, Daehyunnie,” Yongguk urged, staring straight at Daehyun while the Valkyr struggled to gather the power necessary to send the Einherjar to Valhalla.

                Daehyun paused long enough to actually focus on the group.  “You too.  All of you,” he urged, meeting the other four pair of eyes in short order.  Composure restored, power blossomed between his hands as his white wings unfurled behind him, narrowly missing both Zelo and Youngjae before they curled forward to wrap around the group in front of him.  Divine energy swirled and caught the Einherjar up in its power, gathering them together to shoot them all towards the Bifrost and beyond in a single burst of energy that pulsed from Daehyun in a blast wave of dissipating feathers.

                “You too… Yongguk,” he murmured under his breath as he watched the ball of light that were his Einherjar rise and disappear beyond the boundaries of his sight.  “You too…”

 

                Waiting was always the hardest part.  Himchan had become very good at it over the centuries but that didn’t make it any easier…  Especially not with everything he had running around in his mind from the latest developments.

                As if Loki and Sigyn’s treachery weren’t bad enough, their sons would pay the price of betrayal first and it would be soon if Odin’s mood was any indication.  Worse still was that Jongup had been sent to find the blackguard…  Of course Himchan understood why his youngest sibling was sent, but if Loki gained even the slightest clue that his family was being held hostage here, it could go very badly for Jongup.

                Never mind that Freya and Forseti were with him. Loki was many things but a forgiving god was not among them and he could be ruthless in his dealings when he cared to be.  He had seen it often enough in his time among the gods and watching Loki in the domain of the humans.  Jongup was a Valkyr yes, and stronger than the Einherjar, but against the trickster god, even he would struggle in a fight, if not worse…

                That unfavorable situation aside, his other brother was going to approach Brahms with a reduced party no less.  Which was precisely why he was waiting in Valhalla with his own Einherjar in residence because there had been no one else present to take them to the front lines.  They were as restless as he was in a more obvious manner.

                While Kiseop and Jaehyo had returned, replaced by two gods they’d had to tear from the meager reserves remaining, the rest of the group consisted of nervous banter, jumpy limbs, and lots of heavy sighs.  Hyosung was pestering Sungmin while the two thieves were bothering Yunho who listened with all the focus of an old dog being assaulted by puppies.  All of them were just as ready as the Valkyr for something to change.

                Himchan took a short, sharp breath when he felt the subtle shift of the Bifrost open and his gaze swung towards the center of the hall, watching expectantly as the rest of his party noticed the change as well.  “They’re coming,” he announced softly, uncrossing his arms from in front of his chest to present a less imposing image.

                With a collective gasp, the Einherjar already present jumped to their feet and edged nearer to Himchan, curious about the incoming newcomers.  They had to shield their eyes from the brilliance of the sphere that illuminated the hall while the Valkyr merely squinted and then relaxed to stare critically at the figures that emerged from within.

                “I’m blind…” Taeil and Minzy complained, rubbing at their eyes roughly and blinking around the spots in their vision.

                Squinting to cut down on the amount of dancing motes, the other three warily regarded the room and focused almost immediately on the Valkyr with his band behind him, becoming standoffish in posture before they relaxed upon recognizing the armor.

                “Welcome to Valhalla.  I am the Valkyr Himchan,” he greeted politely, nodding at the newest group and glancing over the blonde in the front without so much as batting an eye.  That was him…  No wonder Odin didn’t want Daehyun to visit Brahms with a full party.  So who had been left behind?  Surely he wouldn’t send him alone.

                Yongguk remained silent as he continued to inspect the Valkyr before him.  He didn’t look much like Daehyun but Youngjae had said there were three brothers.  Did he know where Daehyun was going with only two other members to back him up?  He had to stifle the frustrated growl that wanted to escape when the thought continued to cross his mind that he should be there with him.  Even if he was a Valkyr, he needed allies.

                He started in surprise when he realized that Changmin and Soohyun were making introductions for everyone while the other group of Einherjar were making themselves known as well.  “Welcome to the war,” the one called Yunho smiled easily, standing with a confidence that denoted he was used to combat.

                “Whether you’re ready or not,” Hyosung sighed with a shake of her head, shrugging her shoulders when her group just looked at her.  “I wasn’t,” she reminded them, giving the newest members a reassuring wink.

                Himchan let them go off on their own tangent while he resumed his train of thought from earlier.  He had Daehyun’s Einherjar, which meant he was lacking in power and Odin wanted them to rejoin the ranks as soon as possible.  With the pass open for as long as it was, he feared an imminent attack and the Valkyr was inclined to agree… but when would Jongup return?  Would he be successful?

                With a slight grimace, Himchan gave a barely perceptible shake of his head.  He would find him alright.  It was what would happen after that concerned him more.  For now, he could only trust in Freya and Forseti’s ability to keep him safe and bring them all back.  “Einherjar,” he spoke, addressing the newcomers as he turned around.  “Who has remained behind to aide my brother?” he asked, letting his gaze settle on all of them briefly, waiting for an answer.

                Yongguk and Taeil answered at the same time.  “A sword wielding mercenary by the name of Zelo.”  “Youngjae.  A mage from Valinceburg.”  They looked at each other and chuckled at the coincidence but piped down quickly enough and looked to see the Valkyr’s response.

                Himchan let none of the surprise the names elicited in him show and simply blinked once, nodding in acceptance.  “A good balance then.  Come.  The front lines await,” he instructed, gesturing for the group of ten to follow along after him, the wheels of his mind turning.

                It was odd that two of his former Einherjar would accompany Daehyun now to visit Brahms.  He knew those two well in former lives and could vouch for their skills, though in each incarnation, Odin had never deigned either of them worthy of fighting in Asgard and he had yet to determine why.  At least he did feel slightly better for knowing his brother’s company, even if it did not appease his concern about him actually fighting the Lord of the Undead.  Unfortunately, he had his own concerns to deal with in Asgard…

 

(a/n: I wanted to do more with Himchan's part but with the upcoming update, you get an idea of how Jongup got sent out in the first place and a few more tidbits of info here and there.  So the next update should have a bit more action either way you look at it.  At least I finally managed a BangDae moment more than barely-there exchanges!  *dances in place*  hehe)