So it Begins

Daehyun: Valkyr of the Gods

                Great.  Nifleheim.  One of the worst possible places to be and Yongguk was stuck in it.  He took another breath and continued scanning his surroundings, trying to make sense of things, but it was almost pointless.  There were more people here than he could count, some more whole than others, and the entirety of the realm was covered in mist and clouds that left a lasting shadow on all the occupants therein.  Not to mention there didn’t appear to be any way in or out…

                “Excuse me,” Yongguk grumbled once more, bumping into another listless denizen that ambled by.  Judging by her appearance, she’d been here a while.  Some looked liked him, fresh from dying, but others had this tired, vacant expression to them that completely creeped him out.  There was no sense of recognition or awareness to the majority of those present and it made his skin crawl.

                There was a sort of mountain type thing that rose a fair distance from him though, reaching into the ominous clouds so that whatever might lie above it was hidden from sight.  It was possible that was where Hel was located at and maybe if he got to her, he could beseech passage back to Midgard or Asgard.  Either would work, so long as he wasn’t stuck here.  But if he recalled the tale of Baldr correctly, how was he to convince the Queen of the Dead to let him go when he wasn’t even half as beloved as the god?

                Well, there was only one way to find out.  “Think,” he whispered quietly, shivering in the biting cold.  One would think that you wouldn’t feel such effects when dead, but no.  It was bloody cold down here and there was nothing lying around to layer up with.

                A low, rumbling roar vibrated through the ground and into his bones, making him blink in surprise and no small amount of concern.  What was that?  He really wished he’d paid more attention to the stories growing up.  Everyone knew the big ones but there were things that also lived in Nifleheim that weren’t strictly of the dead.  Something about a dragon maybe?

                The accompanying sound of what sounded suspiciously like a crashing wave made him pause.  Few around him reacted accordingly though some still had that spark of awareness in their eyes.  He was still loathe to approach them, deciding it was perhaps better that he find his own way out of this place.  Besides, if they were still in this area with what amount of awareness they had, then it was likely they had no better idea than he did.

                Putting his years of skulking the streets to survive into use, Yongguk started moving again.  Traveling wasn’t particularly difficult since no one tried to stop him and there didn’t seem to be any manner of overseer in the area to watch over things, but if no one could escape, that made a fair bit of sense.  If nothing else though, maybe if he managed to climb that mountain, pillar thing he’d have a better view of the place and perhaps he could see something then.  It was worth a shot, right?

                Yongguk steeled himself to cover as much ground as possible.  There was no time to waste here, especially since he didn’t know what had happened to Soohyun or Minzy and if he was stuck here, he was of no help to anyone; least of all Daehyun.  Having learned the truth from Loki, or at least what he hoped was the truth, there was so much he had to tell him.  Not just about now, but about before too…

                “Enough daydreaming,” he huffed, shaking his head as he ran.  A lot of good it would do for him to get distracted now and further mired in place.  While he didn’t know how it was possible, he was pretty sure it was and he didn’t want to test that theory.

                Eventually, he reached the stone structure rising out of the cold, dark ground.  It might have taken him mere moments or days; he wasn’t sure since the passage of time was meaningless in this place.  He grew tired enough but maybe that was just the cold sinking in further.  Perhaps that was why the people here looked as dead as they did after a time?  The cold the vitality right out of them.  He’d only been here a short time and he could see how that might be the case.

                A quick scan of the wall showed no stairs or immediate path up but there were plenty of handholds he could use in lieu of that.  Taking a deep breath, Yongguk wedged his fingers into the first crack he could find and started hauling himself up one handhold at a time.  No one below him called the alarm and there wasn’t any manner of response which unnerved him further.  These people really were dead, in more ways than one.

                Even more irritating, every time he checked the distance he’d managed to climb, it felt as if it hadn’t changed in the slightest.  The ground fell away but the clouds always seemed the same distance from him.  Muttering unpleasant curses under his breath, he paused to collect himself, securing his left hand and both feet in place.

                Freeing his right hand, Yongguk swung partially off the surface to get a better look now that he’d gotten some distance and couldn’t help but gasp.  Well, he was right that he’d been making headway.

                All around him, the realm of Nifleheim stretched out in every direction, dark and dour, but beyond his immediate sight that had been blocked for the populace he found himself among, there was much more than he’d anticipated.  Directions were impossible to determine with no guiding markers but there was a great sea that roiled just within his sight beyond either side of the structure he was on.  And directly behind him was a faint path winding its way towards a pinprick of light in the distance.

                The way out!  Yongguk laughed in relief that was quickly abbreviated when the dot of light blinked out of sight.  What the…?  Oh.  It reappeared again a few seconds later and in the distance, he could just make out the form of what appeared to be a rather massive dog type thing.  The only one he knew for sure was Fenrir but he was still tied in the bowels of the earth and there was no way he was guarding the entrance to Nifleheim.  So what was this one?

                “Yah!” he yelped, nearly losing his handhold when he heard the low roar again, startling him greatly.  “Thor’s Wrath…” he breathed, staring in horror at the draconic monstrosity that sat to his left.  Pale and fearsome, it was a dragon like in the tales of Sigmund and Fafnir…  Only this one wasn’t guarding any sort of horde of treasure.

                No.  This dragon was eating on something…  It was too far away to make out what specifically, but if Yongguk didn’t know better, he’d say those were human bodies.  So why was it also clawing at that large, wooden root thing?

                He gasped when the realization hit him quickly.  That was a root to Yggdrasil.  It was the same tree he and his friends had been floating towards before he’d lost consciousness.  Okay.  To be fair, before he died, but still.  All the realms were connected by the tree, but he didn’t know how.  That knowledge was beyond him, so he was left with but two choices.  Technically three, but the last one wasn’t really an option.  Staying here was not in the plan.

                Yongguk could either try the root of Yggdrasil, and possibly catch the attention of the fearsome dragon eating… people nearby, or he could brave the path to the pinprick of light and find out whatever was guarding the possible entrance.  When the dragon roared again sending its head darting down to snap at something else, Yongguk made up his mind.

                “The entrance it is!” he nodded, attaching both hands to the surface once more so that he could start making his way back down.  If his first plan didn’t work, he could then try braving the dragon and hope it didn’t eat him at that time.  Now, just to get to the ground once more.  A daunting task for sure since a glance down showed him to be particularly high in the sky.  “I hate this place,” he exhaled dejectedly, gathering his determination to get it over and done with.

                At least the descent was easier than the climb up, even if he couldn’t feel his hands and his breath was starting to plume in front of him.  Wait a minute.  That hadn’t been the case earlier so what had changed?  As soon as he thought about it, he stopped seeing the misty plumes before him and his hands started to warm up again, but he was left with a chill that wouldn’t dissipate so easily.  It was this place…

                He was staring at his trembling hands with a sick feeling in the pit of his stomach when a voice next to him startled Yongguk out of his horror.  “You cannot be a mere mortal if you yet recall who you once were.”

                Immediately, Yongguk jumped to the side, reaching for a weapon that wasn’t there.  He ran into another denizen who toppled over without complaint but his attention was on the stranger who had addressed him rather unexpectedly.  “What did you say?” he asked warily, taking in the appearance of the other.

                It was obvious the man was no normal mortal himself, being inhumanly handsome with shoulder length, golden locks, blue eyes that rivaled the sea, an open vest to reveal his flawless torso, and a smile which had likely made many a maiden swoon.  He didn’t trust him.

                “Are you an Einherjar?” the other asked as if he hadn’t heard Yongguk’s question.

                “Who are you?” Yongguk demanded, taking another step back to give them just a little more distance between them.  He had the feeling this man was a god and right now, he had no love of them.

                “Forgive me,” the stranger laughed, a surprisingly warm and pleasant sound.  “I am Baldr, the son of Odin.”

                “Baldr?” Yongguk mouthed quietly, relaxing just a hair as he looked at the god anew.

                “Yes.  And you are?” he asked politely, extending his hand towards Yongguk in entreaty.

                “Uh…  Yongguk,” he answered in a flat tone.  Of all the things he’d expected, meeting the god Baldr here was certainly not one of them.  “Erm…  One of Daehyun’s Einherjar.”

                “Daehyun?” Baldr smiled broadly and took a step closer, obviously excited to hear about the other male.  “How fare’s the Valkyr?  And his brothers?” he asked, biting his lip in his excitement.

                Taken aback by Baldr’s reaction, Yongguk swallowed and stood up straighter, trying very hard to compose himself.  “Not well,” he finally responded, deciding straightforwardness was probably his best bet right now.

                Baldr gasped with his hand rising to cover his mouth in horror.  “Tell me!” he beseeched.

                “Sorry.  I’m in a hurry actually,” Yongguk apologized, hedging in the direction of the entrance.  “I have to get back to him as soon as possible,” he explained, pausing when Baldr spoke before he could leave.

                “You mean to leave Nifleheim?  How then do you propose to get past Garm?” he asked, head tilted to the side in honest curiosity.

                “Garm?” Yongguk asked with his brows furrowed, looking over his shoulder to peer at the god in confusion.

                “The great hound that stands watch eternal,” he explained easily, his tone lacking any hint of condescension Yongguk would have expected from a god.

                Yongguk frowned at the answer and muttered under his breath.  “I’m still working on that part,” he admitted, though it was entirely new information to him.

                “And it’s a long walk.  I can accompany you,” Baldr suggested helpfully with a nod in the direction Yongguk was set to go.

                “Won’t you be missed here or something?” he asked, reluctant to have a figure as recognizable as the god of light and purity at his side.  Granted, Baldr was the most beloved of the gods and he could see why, but he was still a god and if Hel was keeping any sort of tabs on him, his absence would be conspicuous.

                “No.  We are all the same in Nifleheim,” he assured the other man.  “And it will be easier to remember yourself if you have another to accompany you.”

                That made Yongguk pause for thought.  He had been in this place only a short time and already he’d felt the effects of it upon his soul.  With the way things were, he could not afford to lose himself now.  “Alright,” he sighed, nodding in reluctant agreement.  “But we must hurry,” he encouraged again, waving at the god to follow after him with speed.

                “I wonder if you can keep up,” Baldr chuckled, matching pace with Yongguk easily before he lengthened his strides, beginning to outdistance the other male.

                “Hey!” Yongguk frowned in irritation which quickly turned to a small degree of respect and admiration.  Okay.  So maybe he wasn’t even remotely like the majority of the other gods.  And perhaps he may know something about what’s going on, or at the least, a way to get past this… Garm.  “Hold on Daehyun,” he murmured softly while he jogged to catch up to his newest companion.  “I’m coming.”

 

                “I do not like the look of the skies,” Hyosung murmured unhappily with a furtive glance upwards at the partially cloud covered expanse before she focused her subdued attention back on the field before them.  It was only early evening and they had a long night ahead of them.

                “Nor do I,” Yunho assured her with a quiet sigh, inspecting the empty stretch of land before them.  No enemies were present but there was an oppressive sense of foreboding that lay over everything, themselves included.

                A glance back at their camp showed it to be active with gods and other Einherjar running to and fro as they sought to make sense of things and plan for the next attack.  They could not press to gain ground for they all felt it: a great battle was approaching and they were all simply biding their time until the moment it arrived.

                Thor had helped fortify their walls as much as he possibly could, though the structures now seemed so very flimsy when compared to what they would have to hold up to.  Tyr continued to pace between tents, holding council with those generals and gods still present here.  Odin had arrived none too long ago and even now, Yunho could see him riding the perimeter of their enclosure on Sleipner, a massive, gray, eight-legged horse.  Of all of Loki’s offspring, that one at least had proven most useful and of aid to the gods.  Trailing on either side of him were Odin’s two great wolves, Freki and Geri, and above him, the ravens Huginn and Munnin circled ceaselessly.

                Lined up and down the length of the wall, keeping watch as best they could in turn, were scores of Einherjar that had been recruited through the years.  Yunho’s own band remained close with the additional Changmin and Taeil added to their number.  He had no time to think about the missing Yongguk, Soohyun, or Minzy, or even what had happened to his Valkyr Himchan.  All he could do was look after those in his band and pray they were ready.

                Kiseop and Jaehyo stuck close together, taking turns keeping watch through one of the murder windows that had been positioned at intervals across the barrier.  Sungmin had agreed to take turns with the newcomers and Yunho himself shared his task with the mage, Hyosung.  Further down the line, he could see the second most recent band of Einherjar that Daehyun had sent to bolster their numbers.

                The group was green, to be sure, but they’d been tested before being stationed and should prove helpful.  If nothing else, they’d buy time with their lives if it came to it.  Zico was on guard currently, with CL and Amber backing him up while Minhyuk was paired with Jiyeon a bit further down.  At least they’d figured out how to split between ranged and melee for the best possible defense given their numbers.

                In the back of their lines, he saw several goddesses milling about.  While few were skilled in combat, all were powerful enough to rival at least the Einherjar and they were among the last line of defense should the Jottuns break the lines.  Yunho hoped it wouldn’t come to that, but all who knew about Ragnarok were aware enough to consider the very real possibility that they were all going to die.  The thought wasn’t encouraging.

                “You would think that having died once, the thought of doing so again wouldn’t be so bad,” he chuckled dryly, keeping his gaze on the field before him, though his voice was directed at his companion nearby.

                “Once, twice, or a hundred times.  I don’t think it matters,” Hyosung admitted quietly, her back resting against the surface of the barrier.  “No one wants to die.”

                “True enough,” Yunho sighed, patting his sword with his hand idly.

                “But if we are to die soon, I would not die a coward,” she added firmly, though her voice trembled on the words.

                Yunho smiled and reached a hand down to squeeze her shoulder encouragingly.  “Nor would I.”

                She laughed with a shaky timbre and gripped his hand tight, drawing strength from his presence.  Her gaze traveled up to get a glimpse of the sky, but her eyes narrowed when something didn’t quite seem right.  “Yunho?” she asked, blinking in confusion.

                “Ne?” he asked, focusing on her directly.

                “What’s wrong with the sky?” she asked, pointing upwards.

                “By the gods,” Yunho exhaled breathily, noticing the way the moon seemed to tremble and flicker as it moved across the sky.

                “Odin!” Tyr called out, drawing the All Father’s attention to the sky as well.  “It’s Hati!”

                Odin his great steed and bellowed at the sky, “Faster Mani!  The wolf is upon you!”

                Yunho’s hand tightened upon Hyosung’s shoulder and both watched in wide-eyed horror as the horses pulling Mani’s chariot were unable to outrun the massive wolf following on their heels.  Its jaws opened wide and a collective gasp issued throughout their forces as the moon was swallowed, disappearing from sight and casting them into darkness save for the light of their campfires and torches.

                “Mani!” Odin screamed, raising his fist to the sky as a final cry tore through the heavens; the death knell of the god of the moon.  From far away, another feminine shriek reached their ears and all knew that Sol, the goddess of the sun, had been overtaken by the wolf Skoll as well.

                A heavy silence fell over the gathering then and all eyes turned to the All Father.  “Odin?” Thor asked in a voice that still held the rumble of thunder, though his tone was muted and uncertain.

                The light from the fires flickered, casting his face in shadow though his single, blue eye blazed brightly as he regarded everyone in sight.  “My fellow gods and goddesses.  My loyal Einherjar.  The time has come!  Mani and Sol have been consumed at last and soon now the very stars will fade from our sight.  We shall hear Gullinkambi’s crow and will face the end of our time at last.  My people.  Ragnarok is upon us!”

                “Let it come!” Thor growled defiantly, raising Mjolnir to the sky, calling a brilliant bolt of lightning to illuminate the entirety of their camp.  A large chorus of cries rose up in concord with his bellow, a rallying cry to bolster their forces.

                “The end of our time has come, but we shall not accept it like dogs!” Odin roared with his fist raised in the air.  “We shall meet it as men!  And to those who should seek our lives…” he trailed off in an ominous tone filled with dread promise.  “They shall pay dearly for such an honor to die at our hands!  For glory!” he roared.

                “For glory!” came the echoing battle cry.

                “For honor!” he added, pulling Sleipner into a proud, rearing stance, the savage battle cry of the stallion ringing out over the field.

                “For honor!”

                “For the future which has yet to come!” he roared, voice full of hope and fortitude.  The answering cry was nearly deafening as every voice rose in loud agreement.

                As a lesser silence descended, Yunho watched to see what Odin would do now.  He rode to the group of goddesses and chose Skadi, the goddess of winter, to speak with quietly.  She wasn’t a battle goddess by any means, but as he watched Odin slide from Sleipner’s back, he understood.  He was sending her as his messenger.  Heimdall would need to be told so he could sound the horn…

                “We’re going to die aren’t we?” Hyosung murmured softly, her voice distant.

                “Not if I can help it,” Yunho answered immediately, keeping his hand upon her shoulder.  His brows furrowed when he saw Sleipner run off with his rider but then noticed another figure riding into camp.  The two blue cats, both the size of a horse, pulling the chariot would have been enough to tell who the driver was alone but the huge, golden boar at her side left no doubt whatsoever.  Freya had arrived.

                He watched her hop out and approach Odin swiftly, clasping his wrists in her hands as he reached for her.  While Yunho couldn’t make out what they were saying, it was obvious the tidings weren’t good.  She gestured back towards Valhalla and shook her head and Odin’s face darkened, though not at her.  He nodded once in apparent understanding and then took Freya’s hand to guide her to the nearest tent.

                “Well.  I don’t know what happened to Himchan, but something tells me the Valkyrs aren’t coming right now,” Yunho murmured, chewing his lip in thought.

                “No?” Hyosung asked, turning to look in the direction he was facing.

                “No,” he shook his head, shifting his attention back to the now dark field where shadows changed it into another world entirely.  “Either way.  Let’s make him proud,” he encouraged as he took a steadying breath.

                “Yes sir,” Hyosung smiled, standing up so that she’d be more ready for anything.

                All of their bravado dimmed considerably though when they heard the sharp, clear sound of a crowing in the distance towards Jotunheimr, followed very quickly by another coming from the direction of Valhalla.  Above them, the stars winked out one by one and none were prepared for the rumbling that suddenly began beneath their feet, shaking everything with fel promise.

                “Here we go,” Yunho exhaled, clinging to the wall for support.  Ragnarok had come.

 

(a/n: As requested, a teensy bit of insight into Yongguk's predicament.  ;)  And we needed to check up on the other Einherjar as well just to see how things were going.  Everything I mentioned that happened with them is pretty much straight from Norse mythology preceding the onset of Ragnarok.  Some things might be slightly different depending on your sources but the sun and moon were destined to be swallowed by the wolves that always chased them; a golden crow at the top of Yggdrasil crows to announce the beginning of the end, while the stars fade from the sky casting the world in darkness, and tremors shake the entire realm.  Freya does have a chariot pulled by blue cats and a golden battle boar, both of which she has been known to ride.

So now we'll be getting back to Himchan or Jongup and I'll do my best to keep things as sequential as possible.  With the onset of Ragnarok, it might get a teensy bit tricky so feel free to call me on something if it seems out of order or just plain odd.  lol

I did take some creative liberties with Nifleheim because again, different sources say different things.  It is a land of cold and ice where there are or used to be frost giants, though that's also Jotunheimr at this point (insofar as frost giants go).  >.>  *sigh*  Supposedly there's another realm in Nifleheim called Helheim where the dead were actually sent but then it's also said that is where the very worst of the mortals were imprisoned but also that Nidhogg (the dragon at the roots of Yggdrasil) ate the corpses of such men so I sort of picked and chose what worked for me.  Baldr did get sent to Hel/Nifleheim/Niflehel and so it would be feasible for him to meet Yongguk there.  There is an ocean/sea in Nifleheim (as well as nine rivers if I'm not mistaken) that plays another role in Ragnarok and we'll be seeing more to come shortly.  Garm is the wolf that guards the entrance, much like Cerberus does in Greek mythology.  I hope this helps any confusion.

Thank you for reading!  Comment if you feel up to it and please look forward to the next update!)