Traitors in Their Midst

Daehyun: Valkyr of the Gods

                It was almost a relief for Daehyun to throw himself into battle against the hags’ nest, their ever hungry appetites awakened by the presence of him and his group; a shrieking mass of undead harridans intent upon their death.  And their souls if they let them have the chance.  The act of combat was something he understood and didn’t have to think about; not like the images he kept being bombarded by when Yongguk came into contact with him.

                Those were not his memories.  Never mind they felt so familiar.  “Yah!” he snarled, sword striking through the sunken in neck of another of the hags, leering face glaring at him with unfettered hatred and hunger as it tumbled through the air, inhuman mouth open in a silent howl.  Her emaciated body crumpled shortly after and he was off to find another target, sword blazing in his hand, eager for another creature to slay.  Intent upon causing destruction, the Valkyr paid little attention to his surroundings, leaving himself open and vulnerable.

                “Daehyun!  Watch out!” Yongguk’s deep voice called out, giving him just enough warning to brace himself before claws dug into his armor from behind, scraping horridly against the protective metal.  Worse than nails dragging against stone, the talons tore tortured music from his armor, tips anchoring into the chinks and worming closer to his tender flesh beneath.

                “Yah!”  He fell forward with something surprisingly heavy on his back, teeth gnawing at his helmet in a futile attempt to breach his defensive gear, the sound terrible.  Daehyun yelped again when the sound of a sword whistling through the air was followed by the upper half of a hag landing next him, still morbidly active as she clawed and bit at his pinned body.  There were two of them…  Well that explained the weight.

                “Enough already!” Zelo growled, grabbing the severed half by the back of the neck and hair before he hauled her flailing torso over his head with a hasty toss.  Youngjae scorched her out of the sky the moment she collided with another hag hobbling madly towards him, both monsters going up in a hungry, devouring gout of flame that left nothing but smoking ash in its wake.

                “Get off him!” another cried from behind, his deep roar punctuated by a defiant shriek that was quickly cut short.

                Daehyun scrambled over to get a clear look and saw Yongguk split the wretch in half, his sword cleaving straight through her navel to travel up the length of her body, paring her head in two, right down the middle as his two handed attack drew her over his shoulder.  For just a moment, the Valkyr found himself staring, transfixed by the savage ferocity of his would-be defender, gummy mouth bared in a feral snarl, anger and tension writ in every feature of his figure.  His paralysis was tempered by a strange sense of calm that simply washed over him once his attackers were apprehended, taken care of by those he now traveled with.

                “Now!” Taeil drew his attention, startled by the sudden intrusion of reality once more as the shield bearing knight distracted the struggling pair he was fending off so that Changmin could take them from behind, swords crisscrossing swiftly across their backs, slicing clean through their spines so that they crumpled before him.

                “Protect the Valkyr!” the taller male waved with his left sword, standing at the ready with both blades brandished threateningly, his gaze wary.

                “Youngjae!  There!” Zelo pointed at a small cluster of retreating hags, dreary clothes blending in startlingly well with the woods.

                Glaring after the fleeing creatures, Youngjae drew himself up, his scepter pointed to the sky and his other hand reaching after them, mouth moving swiftly while he intoned the spell under his breath.  “Asgard’s fury consume you!” he shouted, dropping the scepter to point at the shrieking group while a swirling vortex of fire arched from the glowing orb.

                 Resembling an open-mouthed dragon, the torrent of flames surged up and then down, consuming the hags in a billowing conflagration that latched onto several nearby trees, climbing up the dry bark greedily.  “Oh horse !” Youngjae grumbled, shoulders slumping as he saw the fire starting to spread quickly.

                “Well put it out!” Taeil instructed, running up on the nearest fire as he tried to beat it out with his shield, having nothing else at hand.

                “I’m working on it!” Youngjae muttered, stalking closer while he fiddled with the scepter, grumbling under his breath.

                Still taken aback by their response to the attack, and his own failure in the fight followed by the startling sensations during and after it, Daehyun blinked a couple times and jumped again when he felt a careful hand on his shoulder.  “Are you alright?”

                Wide-eyed and flinching preemptively, Daehyun glanced up to see Yongguk kneeling beside him, but this time there was no accompanying image or sound; just the honest and genuine concern in the taller male’s expression with a gentle touch upon his person.  “Yes,” he answered quietly, gripping to Yongguk’s wrist as the other male gave him a hand up.

                “I think we’re clear,” Zelo called, jogging back to them after making a quick sweep with Changmin, their long legs bringing them back almost effortlessly.

                “Yeah, but it looks like we got here a bit late to help the poor fools in their nest,” Changmin grimaced with a shake of his head, nodding back towards the way they’d come and away from the remnants of the village.

                “Yah!  That’s cold!” Taeil flailed, running from the deluge of tempered ice that sprang from Youngjae’s scepter, taming the spreading flames.

                “I told you to move!” the mage countered, hosing the area down and ignoring the short, partially iced knight.

                “No you didn’t…” Taeil muttered, shaking off the worst of the dusting and brushing it out of his eyes with a grimace.

                “Enough,” Daehyun called, his tone sharp but not unkind.  He didn’t realize until after the fact that he was still holding to Yongguk’s wrist and he turned to look the taller male in the eyes, searching his face.  “Come,” he murmured softly, pointing his sword in the direction that Changmin had indicated earlier.  “They are waiting.”

                Mystified by the sudden change in the Valkyr but all too grateful, Yongguk tightened his hand around the slender male’s wrist in turn.  “Who are?”

                Daehyun freed his hand with a quiet sigh and turned to lead the way.  “You’ll see.”  He said nothing more as he started to walk, confident that the others would follow without complaint or question.

                Admittedly, it was strange how he felt just then.  He had been angry and upset just before and during the fight and then…  They had banded together to protect him.  And Yongguk…  Even though he wasn’t the one the human remembered, to see such devotion in his eyes directed towards him...

                Confused, he looked down at his left hand and frowned.  Peace.  That was what he’d felt this time.  Soothing peace and serenity akin to what he’d felt centuries ago, when the Valkyrs were still in their infancy and Himchan used to hold him and Jongup close and tell them everything would be alright.  Like another had…  When…?  Recently?

                “What’s that?” Yongguk asked, pointing ahead at the gnarled mound that held a dark, yawning mouth into the earth.

                “A hag’s nest,” Daehyun sighed dryly, looking along the ground at the husks of what had once been living things.  Some were people, likely from the village, and others were creatures native to the forest.  The majority had long since been dead but a few were only recently so.

                “Oh no…” Yongguk murmured, his gaze riveted upon two of the crumpled, drained figures on the ground, lying amidst the rest of the carcasses.  “What were you doing here?” he asked breathlessly as he knelt beside them, hands brushing over their cold stiff bodies while his jaw clenched perceptibly.

                “Aren’t they the ones from…?” Youngjae started to ask, noticing how Zelo made his way over to pat Yongguk on the shoulder in a comforting manner.  “I guess they are.”

                Daehyun approached the pair and sighed.  They hadn’t been doing anything particularly heroic and like Yongguk, they were little more than thieves, but something about their mission or their purpose had marked them as Einherjar.  He held his hand above their bodies and spoke quietly, “Come forth mine Einherjar.”

                All five of his party looked at him, watching as the two bodies glowed dimly, their spirits stirring in a sluggish manner from their lifeless bodies.  “Hel’s Breath,” the younger of the two murmured with a hand to her head, hair falling over one eye as she shook herself out.  “I told you we should have gotten out of here when…”  Her voice trailed off as she realized they weren’t alone and her eyes got even wider when she noticed Yongguk and the standing, slightly glowing armored fellow nearby.  “Holy e…”

                “Minzy?” the other Einherjar asked, eyes going wide in his face when he saw who they were surrounded by as well.  “Holy e,” he echoed her sentiment.  “Yongguk.”

                The kneeling male offered a sad smile and laughed mirthlessly.  “Hey Soohyun.  Minzy.  Welcome to the club.”

 

                Himchan eyed the normal enough looking abode nestled in the protective cover of the woods before the looming wall of the valley that helped to provide a natural barrier between Asgard and the encroaching hordes of Jottuns from Jotunheimr, one of the neighboring realms nearby.  He saw neither Vali nor Nari guarding the entrance as they were supposed to.  Perhaps Sigyn was inside and could shed some light on the mystery of why the guard was down…

                “Kiseop.  Jaehyo.  Take Sungmin with you and scout the passage.  Make sure you are not seen and make note of anything odd,” Himchan directed with a nod towards the looming walls that towered above them.

                “Of course,” the trio nodded in agreement, voiced by Jaehyo who took point, skulking ahead with the other two trailing behind him swiftly and silently.

                “Hyosung,” he spoke at the attentive mage, looking down upon her shorter stature.  “You will remain outside and guard the door should any arrive or seek to interrupt us.”

                “Yes Valkyr,” she bowed partially and readied her scepter, large eyes scanning the area to make sure they weren’t already missing something.

                “Wait until we have gone inside before you take your position,” he instructed, gesturing for the last remaining Einherjar to accompany him.  “You’re with me, Yunho.”

                The taller male was silent as he fell into step beside the Valkyr, eyes perceptive and wary.  It was only when they approached the door that he murmured, “Do you think Loki is really behind the influx of Jottuns?”

                “When it comes to Loki, I don’t know what to think,” Himchan answered instead, knocking on the door politely instead of simply barging in.

                “Hello?” a woman’s voice answered from within, pleasant enough but wary.  They did not often receive guests out here; especially not uninvited ones.

                “It’s Himchan, Sigyn.  Open the door, my lady,” Himchan instructed calmly, waiting for a moment for her to comply.  When the door was not immediately answered, he pursed his lips and turned the handle, stepping inside even as she was hurrying to the front door, looking very much as if she’d been standing already.

                “Valkyr,” she gave a hasty smile, fastening a displaced lock of wheat colored hair behind her ear.  “To what do I owe this pleasure?” she asked, bowing demurely to him and his companion.

                “Where are the boys?” Himchan asked, leaning forward to peer out the window, eyes narrowed under his helm as he kept his voice neutral.

                Sigyn eyed Yunho nervously, slightly intimidated by the appearance of both of them.  “They’ve only stepped into the valley, Himchan.  They’ll be back in no time,” she assured him with a dismissive wave of her hand, giggling in amusement.  “You know how boys are.”

                Himchan and Yunho both looked at her with raised brows and the former nodded once.  “That I do and I know that both Vali and Nari were instructed to remain on guard at all times.  Especially now that Loki has gone missing.”

                “Missing?” she asked, brow furrowing in immediate confusion.  “What do you mean?”  Even Yunho seemed a bit concerned by the question, his mask slipping slightly at the admission.

                “I mean missing,” Himchan clarified, poking and prodding about the interior nosily.  “Jongup can’t find him with the Eye of the Gods and we both know how… curious that can appear, don’t we?”

                “Of course!” she agreed quickly, edging herself in front of the table at the back, taking a seat upon the surface as she waved him off.  “But you know my husband.  It’s likely he’s just playing his usual role and having too much fun with the humans,” she rolled her eyes.  “In one form or another,” she admitted heavily with her fingertips coming to rest against her forehead.

                “Yes.  We know all about his dalliances…” Himchan commented dryly with a shake of his head.  The gods and their meddling with human lives.  To be fair, they did so with some of the more benign Jottuns before this war madness started, but now…

                “You don’t find it the least bit odd that Loki is missing and your sons are not at their post?” Yunho inquired, eyes meeting hers before they drifted to the table she was sitting on with a tilt of his head.

                Sigyn gestured helplessly, “I’m just the simple wife and mother.  Really, there’s not a great deal that I can do to stop them even if there was something else going on.  I can definitely send for you as soon as any of them return though,” she assured him sincerely, bowing from her seat on the table.

                “What are you sitting on, Sigyn?” Yunho asked, hand resting on his sword as he approached the smaller woman easily.

                “A table,” she answered cheekily, much as Loki would in her position.  “It’s very comfortable,” she smiled, going so far as to swing her feet rather like a child would.

                “Stand up please,” he urged, offering his hand politely, the other remaining on his pommel hilt.

                “Why?” she pouted, looking at Himchan for an answer.

                “Sigyn,” the Valkyr warned, letting Yunho take the lead here, his own hand resting on his weapon in turn.  Just because she was a woman did not mean she wasn’t still a goddess, nor was she defenseless.

                Lips pursed, she narrowed her eyes at the Valkyr and then glared at Yunho.  “It’s rude to come into someone’s home and start ordering them around, you know.”

                “And if there’s nothing to hide, then you have nothing to fear,” Himchan responded simply, head tilted to the side, expression implacable.

                “Fine,” she huffed, ignoring Yunho’s hand as she slid off the table, fingers dragging on the surface behind her when she eased off and side-stepped, giving the other male access to where she’d been seated.  “Happy?” she asked when he leaned closer and stared at the blank space suspiciously.

                “Please don’t tell me you’re hiding something behind you, Sigyn,” Himchan sighed, rubbing the back of his neck as he noticed one hand drifting mostly behind her.  “Hand it over,” he instructed patiently, keeping his gaze fixed stolidly upon the goddess.

                Sigyn looked at his hand and then met his gaze, blinking once.  In an instant, her pleasant expression melted away and she reacted harshly, dashing to Yunho with her hand stretched out as she planted her palm against his chest and shoved him through the wall, following him out the broken structure.

                “Hyosung!” Himchan yelled in warning, following after her with all the haste he could muster, eyes locked on whatever it was she had in her hand.

                “Yah!  Sigyn!” she shrieked, scepter raised threateningly, raining down shards of ice to cut the goddess off.

                “Nari!  Vali!” Sigyn shouted, pushing herself away from Yunho who rolled upon the ground, recovering awkwardly and retrieving his sword in the blink of an eye.

                “Mother!” the duo’s voice echoed through the valley, bouncing off the walls in a strange echo.

                Cut off, Sigyn rounded on the mage while Himchan and Yunho closed quarters with her.  Straining against the combined effort, she caught both weapon arms and held fast, keeping the blades away from her with trembling hands, a crumpled piece of paper smashed against Himchan’s gauntlet.

                Grimacing against the painful grip, Himchan clamped his hand on her wrist, kicking her in the knee when her strength looked to be getting the better of Yunho who was buckling under the pressure.  “Traitor,” he growled, yanking his wrist free.

                “You know nothing!” she growled, relinquishing her hold on Yunho to claw at Himchan’s face, nails scratching down his nose guard and brushing dangerously close to his eyes, the tips teasing his lashes.

                “Be still or I cut your throat,” Yunho hissed, sliding into place behind her with the blade of his sword pressed firmly against her neck, his other arm wrapping around her chest in a restrictive hold.  She stiffened in his arms and fell silent, biting her tongue on any response, though she at least let Himchan go, but not without a fight for the scrap of torn paper.

                Himchan frowned at the writing, trying to decipher it as best he could.  It was written in the Jottun’s hand so he could not read it easily.  Normally, he would automatically question such a thing but with Loki and his family located on the border of the Jottuns, it was not so uncommon.  Sigyn’s reaction to their finding it was another matter entirely.  He looked up when the muted sounds of combat reached his ears and he noticed Jaehyo, Kiseop, and Sungmin fighting with both Vali and Nari.

                “Don’t you dare hurt them!” Sigyn yelled, struggling against Yunho again who merely tightened his hold and pressed the blade harder against , drawing a thin line of red against her pale flesh.

                “Hyosung.  Keep an eye on her,” Himchan instructed, pocketing the note and throwing himself in to join the fray against the two younger gods who were at least evenly matched with the Einherjar, if not more so.

                In a flurry of arms and weapons, Himchan joined the fight to counter Nari and Vali.  His two thieves used every underhanded technique they knew to match and apprehend Vali when the Valkyr joined in, giving them enough breathing room to equal the god while he assisted Sungmin.  With the combined, skilled assistance of his companion, Himchan brought Nari to the ground as Sungmin restrained him with a perfectly executed wrist lock, immobilizing him long enough to gain the upper hand.

                Vali followed soon after, a long dagger in his shoulder and another pressed against his neck, threatening more if he continued to struggle.  “Wait until father hears about this!” Nari hissed from the ground, arm held firmly behind him with one of Sungmin’s knees in his lower back.

                “Oh, I’m counting on it,” Himchan muttered darkly as he hauled the god on the ground to his feet.  “Nor can I wait to hear what Odin will have to say when he reads the contents of the message your mother was trying to hide from me,” he hissed, bringing his face close to the god in a threatening manner, anger suffused frightfully in his features.  He had the satisfaction of hearing Nari take a quick breath in surprise and then tore himself away.

                “We’re ready when you are,” Kiseop nodded, reddish brown hair disheveled from the unexpected fight.  He and Jaehyo were somewhat ahead of the game with a completely bound Vali already held between them.

                “Good.  Bind Nari first and then I will need you two to remain here.  I must have a pair of eyes I can trust on this side,” he instructed intently.

               “Of course, Valkyr,” Jaehyo smiled confidently with a toss of his ebony black locks, removing a length of chord from his pouch and tackling Nari’s hands before releasing him back to Sungmin while Kiseop maintained his hold on Vali.

               “Yunho?” Himchan asked, looking at the swordsman and the mage guiding Sigyn to their group in turn as he reached to take over as Vali’s guard.

                “Ne.  We are secured,” Yunho nodded, fingers digging into the goddess’s arm tight enough to leave marks.  He wasn’t inclined to go easy on her since she had rather effortlessly shoved him through a wall not that long ago.

                “Einherjar.  To the hall of Valhalla!” Himchan ordered, yanking Vali with him.

                Sungmin remained close at hand with Nari beside him while both Kiseop and Jaehyo disappeared into the forestry to keep an eye on things.  If anything that was of the Jottuns did come through, they would be fast enough to get back in time to warn someone should something arrive before he could send assistance.  A gap this big was nothing they could easily afford though.

                Himchan ignored the quiet mutterings of the trio with him as he tried again to decipher the Jottun writing.  He would ask them himself but he knew they would not answer him truthfully, but whatever was hidden in plain sight, he did not think Odin would be happy with it…  Nor would he be for that matter.

 

(a/n: So I'm at that point where I keep getting tons of ideas for stuff that happens later and I just have to get through the writing in between.  lol  At this point, I'm trying to blend actual Norse mythology with bits and pieces of the game so yay!  Thank you for being patient with the latest update too.  Life has been a bit busy and hectic and all that fun stuff.  I would really love to hear from you guys too but if comments aren't your thing, I do understand.  I appreciate your reading it either way and I can only hope you're looking forward to the next update.  I'm trying to work in just a bit more BangDae before he gets sent to Valhalla and meeting Brahms is also on the horizon shortly.  Thanks again and happy reading!)