Mages

Daehyun: Valkyr of the Gods

                Traveling at night was not unlike traveling during the day for the Valkyr:  the world below him passed by swiftly while those within slumbered to pass the time.  Neither he nor the Einherjar actually needed to sleep but maintaining such a pattern was a relief at times, breaking up the constant state of awareness with a brief respite free of distraction.  It was particularly helpful to the Einherjar in their earlier days since it took time to readjust to being a spirit as opposed to a living body anymore.

                Daehyun paused midway between their destination on the second day of travel to listen in on the world around him, catching the faint call of another Einherjar not that far away.  The cry took him to the plains to the east where he found Changmin, a dual wielding swordsman who had bitten off more than he could chew.  By the looks of it, he had been slain for some time but his soul had yet to move on, lingering at the place of his death where the corpses of what appeared to be a pack of hellhounds were strewn as well.  While he should have moved on to Hel’s domain, sometimes a soul held tighter to the place they died, as worked out in both their favor this time.

                The Valkyr gathered him with Zelo and Taeil, waking the two at the newest intrusion as they made a series of jumbled introductions, exchanging stories about how they came to be Einherjar while Daehyun continued on.  Apparently, Changmin had met with misfortune in the Forest of Despair to the north when he’d been separated from his group.  Unable to find his way back to them, he attempted to head for civilization while wounded and had been accosted by the beasts that he had slain shortly before following them in death.

                 Daehyun’s mind was on other matters, though the conversation taking place in his person was surprisingly comforting.  He was more concerned about why Odin would send Loki to give him a change in plans and not actually appear himself.  It could have been that he was distracted with other events but it still felt odd.  He turned his gaze to the sky just to see if perhaps Huginn or Munnin was following him but he could see nothing of either raven.  They were probably perched on Odin’s shoulder, surveying the fields of Asgard or spying on the Jottuns.  It was just as well really.  He didn’t favor being spied upon for any reason; he didn’t feel he needed it.

                When dawn of the third day approached, the Valkyr paused to meditate again, making sure he hadn’t missed a new ally on the way.  The distance was further than when he had initially traveled between Artolia and Dalinore but on this run, he wasn’t taking his time like he had originally.  Fortunately, he was pleased to learn there was actually another Einherjar in the direction he was heading.  If his sight and intuition wasn’t deceiving him, it looked as if they were specifically in Valinceburg.

                The Mage City? Changmin asked when he realized their destination.

                Yep, Taeil answered for him quickly.

                Loki told Daehyun that Odin said he needed to go there, Zelo added to help in explaining, trying to be overtly helpful.

                Daehyun had to laugh at the progression of the conversation when he felt Changmin’s confusion.  “Supposedly there’s something more worthy of attention than a necromancer in the area.  I have to admit I am curious.”

                Mages are fickle, Changmin sighed with a shake of his head.  They’d just as soon blow you up as ignore you.

                I take it you’ve had dealings with mages before, Taeil stated dryly, amusement dancing in his tone as Zelo listened in attentively.

                The youngest’s encounters with them had been fairly limited since Jaeseop hadn’t recruited such persons himself.  Their company had run afoul of a handful in some of their missions but most hadn’t had more than one chance to react before they were cut down or fled.

                You could say that, Changmin smirked with confidence, a sure sign there was a story there.

                “Quiet down,” Daehyun urged softly as they approached the city, expression focused while he regarded Valinceburg with a keen eye.  Everything about it was vastly different from Dalinore with the buildings having a considerably more eclectic feel and lacking any form of castle.  Unless he was mistaken, the city had no King and was actually governed or watched over by either an Archmage or a Council of Mages.  It had been a long time since he’d been in this area and it may well have changed since his last visit as the primary Valkyr.

                Now that he thought about it, he couldn’t really remember a time when he had been particularly active with his brothers.  It was another thing that made him feel Ragnarok was approaching since they used to leap frog through time, each serving as the primary Valkyr while the other two slept until they were needed again.  The last time he’d been awake, the city of Valinceburg had been governed by an Archmage, though he was reasonably certain that Himchan had been called upon to take care of him.

                Regardless, the city reeked of magic; all sorts to be precise, which made it difficult to feel if anything was out of the ordinary.  With the mental commentary subsiding, he became aware of another source of power to the north, which was even more interesting.  Nothing should have rivaled the strength or attention grabbing power of the city…

                He was briefly torn between investigating one or the other before he heard the voice of an Einherjar break through.  Curse you, Dara!  This isn’t over yet you deceptive little…

                Taken aback by the uncalled upon notification, Daehyun narrowed his eyes and scanned the area.  So it was a mage then.  Interesting.  He was just as glad his traveling companions were unable to hear such thoughts for he did not feel like fielding their questions just now.  “Shall we investigate?” he asked his ever present party, setting down on the ground and taking the guise of a regular human.

                Whatever you say, Valkyr, Changmin shrugged with glum acceptance though Taeil and Zelo were both considerably more excited.  They had no such issues with magic users.

                “Stay alert,” Daehyun encouraged.  “Mages often see more than most.  Especially older, more powerful ones.”

                So it’s possible they’ll recognize you? Zelo asked to the Valkyr’s amusement.

                “Not me, but what I am,” he amended.  “Power is not always easy to hide.  Even Odin may have a difficult time hiding in this city,” he chuckled, reminding them of the god’s ability to transform at will.

 

                “What do you mean he won’t see me?” a disgruntled Youngjae grumbled irritably as he glared at the guards standing watch before the main entrance to the Arcane Tower, the seat of power in the city.

                “Exactly what we just said,” the mid-level mage standing watch with his companion reiterated, glaring back at the sandy brown haired mage before them.

                “Youngjae.  Once more, you have not been summoned before the Council and therefore will not be seen by the Council,” the elder of the pair reminded him with more patience.

                “This is ridiculous!” Youngjae exhaled breathily, throwing his hands up.  “This is the fourth time I’ve petitioned to be seen by them.  With recommendations from my professors at the Academy no less,” he continued on, arms now crossed firmly in front of him.

                “It still doesn’t change the fact that you haven’t been summoned,” the younger spat, clearly struggling to keep his calm and failing.

                “Go home, Youngjae,” the elder urged kindly, considerably more tolerant and used to his presence.  It wasn’t the first time he’d been on duty when the brilliant but otherwise ignored mage had come seeking entrance.

                Muttering under his breath, Youngjae ran his hand over the relatively short strands on top of his head and gave the other mage another scathing glare.  “Bunch of old fools,” he couldn’t help but add before turning his back and heading home, once more rejected from the Arcane Tower.  Preoccupied, he didn’t even notice that he was being followed, in more ways than one.

                Wearily, he stepped inside and hung his cloak on the rack near the door, straightening his wrinkled clothes out while he tried to calm down from his rather aggravating clash with the established mages earlier.  “They think they’re so much better than everybody,” he grumbled, brushing his sleeves off with more force than necessary before he turned his attention to the rest of the room.  “I bet even they can’t astral project though.  Stuck up, stodgy, old fashioned hermits…”

                The sound of the door shutting behind him made him jump and whirl around, reaching for the scepter at his hip immediately.  “I couldn’t have summed it up better myself,” the young woman in front of the door laughed in amusement, delighted by being able to catch him off guard.

                “Sandara…” he muttered, frowning at her with a long suffering sigh, eyeing her newest hairstyle with a raised brow.  She rarely kept any one look for long but the rows of braids running back to the fan of fluffy light brown strands at the back of her head was definitely…  interesting.  “Don’t you know it’s rude to come in uninvited?” he questioned, rubbing his forehead with his fingers before he turned around, disregarding her.

                “Ah.  Did your visit not go well again?” she teased, sauntering over to him to rest a manicured hand on his shoulder, looking at him sideways with heavily kohl lined eyes.  Youngjae just looked at her without responding, glancing at the hand still lingering on his shoulder.  “You know they’re never going to let you in, brain boy,” she sighed wistfully.  “We’re too much alike,” she winked, removing her hand and wandering over to his prep table covered with various magical components and books, neatly organized and labeled.

                “We are nothing alike,” he responded immediately, turning to keep an eye on her as she poked about nosily.

                She laughed at his answer.  “We’re both brilliant and they’re threatened by it.  We both know that if they let us in, one or more of the members would have to resign and none of them want that.”

                “They won’t live forever, Dara,” he reminded her with a shake of his finger.

                “No,” she admitted with a dip of her head as she looked over her shoulder.  “But are you really inclined to wait that long?”  The mage smiled at him brightly and stepped closer again.  “I’ve always thought that if we combined our abilities, we could probably force the Council’s hand you know.”

                “Nah ah,” he shook his head and placed his hand out to forestall her, holding his palm in front of her face.  “You don’t like to share anything so don’t even think I’m going to fall for whatever scheme you intend to propose.  Really, you should probably just go back to your tower and leave me be because it’s not going to happen.”

                “You’re so mean,” she pouted, laughing when the expression brought about no response from her target.  “Ah well.  You can’t say I didn’t try,” Dara winked with a sideways tilt of her head before she adjusted her maroon dress over her snug form fitting pants, the skirt portion flaring out slightly.

                “You are persistent if nothing else,” Youngjae waved at her with a roll of his eyes.

                Dara just giggled again and made as if to head out, moving slowly while she continued to look around.  Just in front of the door, she stopped and turned around, tapping her index fingers together cutely while she played shy.  “There was just one thing though.  At least tell me you felt the new power in the area.”

                “Eh?” Youngjae perked up immediately, staring at her with interest.

                “Oops,” she gasped, covering with her fingers in a mock surprised expression.  “Have fun with that,” Dara grinned, opening the door and fleeing before he could question her further.

                “Oh!” he scowled, taking a step as if to follow her and then pulling himself up short.  What power and how had he missed it?  He placed his finger on his lip in thought and narrowed his eyes while he weighed the possible truth of her statement.  Why would she tell him anything if not for her own personal gain?

                While he figured there had to be some sort of ulterior motive behind dropping that piece of information, he couldn’t resist his own curiosity to find out what she was talking about.  Quickly, he made his way to the secured and magically reinforced back room he used on a regular basis for all manner of experiments and arcane endeavors.  The floor he’d specially designed himself to have a rotating platform that he could switch out for when he needed to physically inscribe something on the surface with the standard sturdy metal floor.  He pulled a lever to have the inscription platform raised, taking a moment to adjust the ward already set in place.

                “Let’s have a little look then, shall we?” he smiled, rubbing his hands together excitedly as he made sure the only door that led in was shut and locked.  Satisfied he wouldn’t be interrupted, he grinned and settled into the center of the ward, taking a deep breath as he closed his eyes and cleared his mind.

 

                Daehyun immediately ducked out of sight behind the nearest building when he saw the mage actually walk through the walls and onto the street as if the barriers meant nothing.  He tilted his head to the side in quiet thought and nodded once.  “He’s definitely a skilled caster.”

                How did he do that? Zelo demanded excitedly, practically bouncing in place.

                Not sure, Taeil responded with a scratch to his head, expression puzzled.  Neither had ever seen this sort of thing short of the Valkyr’s activities and he hadn’t been using magic to achieve it.

                “He’s spirit walking,” Daehyun filled in for them, making sure to keep some sort of barrier between him and the mage at all times.  At their obvious confusion, he elaborated, “It’s when one projects their soul out of their body to take a less hindered look around.  Freed from his body, he can see things clearer as well which means he will notice me.”

                What about the other humans and mages? Changmin asked, craning to catch a mere glimpse of Youngjae out of Daehyun’s eyes, the task difficult when he kept hiding behind things.

                “Humans, no.  Other mages might feel him though.  Oh,” he murmured, catching sight of the female mage that had been speaking with him just a moment ago.  She at least seemed to be able to sense what he was doing and kept out of sight much like the Valkyr was until Youngjae’s spiritual form walked off far enough to be out of range.  “So that was her intention then,” he murmured with a perplexed frown.

                What? all three asked at the same time, trying to figure out what he was talking about.

                He nodded towards Dara and watched as she casually stepped back inside as if she belonged there.  In a moment, she was back outside again and walking away like nothing had happened.  Even as she stopped, murmuring some sort of incantation to herself before disappearing from sight, they noticed a thin trickle of smoke coming from the house.  “So that’s how,” he spoke, observing the house while flames started to emerge at the windows, growing larger with each passing moment.

                Yah!  He’s still inside! Zelo yelped, actively pointing at the house.

                Aren’t you going to do anything? Changmin asked, waiting to see what the Valkyr would do with a dissatisfied expression.

                “In a moment,” Daehyun shrugged, seemingly not concerned about the fact that the mage was going to burn to death in front of them.  Eventually, he looked back in the direction that Youngjae had walked and started to follow after him at a sedate pace.

                He is one, isn’t he? Taeil grinned, noticing their heading immediately.

                “You’ll see,” Daehyun chuckled, catching sight of the mage as they made the outside of the city.  In his spirit form, the normal rules of walking didn’t apply either, allowing him to cover vast distances in a relatively short period of time.  Outside of immediate view, Daehyun resumed his normal guise and floated closer.

                The mage looked confused, having stopped moving and simply thinking really hard.  He glanced up when Daehyun approached though and his eyes widened in his face.  “A Valkyr!” he gasped, grinning happily.  “I can’t believe she was actually telling the truth this time,” he cheered, approaching the armored figure in excitement.  “This is incredible,” he went on, staring at the other in amazement.  “Which one are you?” he asked, holding his hand up immediately after.  “Wait!  Don’t tell me,” he urged, squinting at him as he obviously tried to solve the puzzle himself.

                For his part, Daehyun was baffled by his reaction.  Most that saw him were nervous or speechless.  The mage was quite the opposite.  “You do realize that you have died, do you not?” he asked, tilting his helmeted head to the side in inquiry.

                “No I haven’t,” Youngjae responded immediately, laughing the claim off.  “I would think that a Valkyr would be able to tell the difference between spirit walking and actually being dead.”  His expression was still thoughtful as he was puzzling out which one he was faced with.  “You’re… Daehyun?” he asked, peering through the space at the top of his helmet to see if he could clarify the color of his hair.

                “Yes,” Daehyun nodded, unsure why he would know his name in the first place.  That was not often common knowledge.

                “Oh!  Yes!” he cheered, dancing in place excitedly.  “It’s the hair,” he explained when the Valkyr was obviously confused.  “That means Himchan has black hair and Jongup has more of a blondish color, right?”  At Daehyun’s still mystified nod, he laughed again.  “So.  Are you collecting Einherjar in the area?  Or is it a mission from Odin?  Can I help?” he babbled, still unable to hold still as he flailed in place with his excitement.

                “Um…  I’m actually here for you,” Daehyun gestured slowly, brow furrowed.  He honestly could not recall a time when something like this had happened and the mage’s response had him baffled.

                Youngjae sighed and rolled his eyes.  “I’ve already told you I’m just spirit walking.  I’m not dead.”

                Daehyun pointed back at the city and turned to look, noticing the trail of smoke still making its way up.  “Actually, your body has probably been burned by now in the fire at your home.”

                “Eh?” Youngjae stopped moving and blinked dumbly as he followed the Valkyr’s gaze.  “You mean…?” he trailed off, shaking his finger in the direction of his residence.  Without another word, he bolted away, moving far faster than any human.  Daehyun followed along behind at a more leisurely pace and when he caught back up to Youngjae, the mage was staring at his merrily burning house, mouth open in shock.  His hands balled into fists at his side and anger washed over his features.  “Curse you, Dara.  This isn’t over yet you deceptive little…”

                “Einherjar.”

                He turned at the sound of Daehyun’s voice and sighed heavily.  “What if I don’t want to be one?” he asked, regarding the Valkyr in disgruntlement.  “All my superiors say I don’t do well with orders.”

                Daehyun nodded to himself, not entirely surprised by the question.  “You are in a unique position, Youngjae.  I suppose you could remain as a spirit, forever walking Midgard, and slowly going mad until you do something enough that merits the attention of myself or one of my brothers to dispatch your poor, tormented soul.  Or you can come with me and live on as an Einherjar, helping the gods in the battle against the Jottuns.  You seem to be fairly knowledgeable about us and Odin can use skilled mages. ”

                Youngjae ran a hand over his face roughly and took another deep breath, looking at the remains of his house while new colors of flames joined the fray, some of his magical supplies catching fire no doubt.  “Is there a chance that you’ll be running into Dara again?” he asked, expression resigned.

                “If her tower is the power source that is north of this city, it is quite likely indeed,” Daehyun nodded, having to shush his internal passengers again as he waited for the mage’s response.  When she had disappeared from his sight, he’d felt an answering flicker of power to the north, leading him to believe she was the one responsible for it.

                “Alright,” he answered, throwing his hands up in defeat.  “I’ll be an Einherjar then.”  Reluctantly, he walked closer to the Valkyr, muttering under his breath.  “I was supposed to be a great mage…  Not a dead one.”

                With a helpless shrug, Daehyun drew Youngjae’s soul into his person, joining the other three who immediately bombarded him with questions.  ‘Who was Dara?’ and ‘Why did she kill him?’ were among the first but many followed after that.  The Valkyr listened with only half of his attention trained on them; the other belonged to puzzling out why the mage knew so much about him and his brothers.  It’s not that they weren’t unknown in that regard, but they were overshadowed by the gods far more often.

 

(a/n: It was really hard figuring out who to cast in Dara's role.  lol  Took me forever to choose actually.  >.>  So with Valkyr's, typically only one is awake at any given time.  They take turns being the active Valkyr but because of the war that is approaching, all have been called into service at the same time.  I'll get into more of an explanation about how they came to be and such in the next update.  I had meant to with this one but recruiting Youngjae ran a bit longer than I thought it would.  I hope you enjoyed though and please look forward to the next update!)