Eavesdropping

Daehyun: Valkyr of the Gods

                Sneaking into Valhalla after the gods and pretending to belong there wasn’t actually very hard for Yongguk and his two companions.  With everyone rather distracted by the war and the halls mostly emptied for the same reason, there weren’t a lot of people to dodge and their biggest concerns of running into Himchan or Odin were generally unfounded since both the Valkyr and the god were already occupied otherwise.  Granted, none of them knew where they were immediately but it wasn’t particularly hard to guess.

                Of course, for Yongguk, that wasn’t exactly a great thing since in order to get near Loki, Odin and Freya would have to be not there…  So the trio skulked around and listened in on what they could while they bided their time until such an occasion that Loki would be left alone.  They were pretty sure they’d found the general area in which he was being held but none of them were quite foolish enough to check and confirm; not with the risk of running into Odin or Freya, both of whom were bound to ask questions none of them were inclined to answer.

                 So they pretended they were scouting the layout like they would in any other city and mapped Valhalla as best they could.  The main hall was the largest room in the structure but it had dozens upon dozens of offshoots and hallways that led to other areas and rooms.  They didn’t have time to check them all but they did find such places where other Einherjar or gods might sleep as well as a training room or two.  In such a way as well, they were able to eavesdrop on Himchan while he attended Jongup in the improvised medical ward during the early part of first light, several hours after they had begun.

                The goddess of healing, Eir, was located on the front lines where her skills were needed the most, but a small portion of Valhalla had been converted to the use of a treatment center, just in case.  Since the fighting hadn’t yet made it far enough to warrant injured Einherjar or gods here, it was empty save for both Valkyrs.  Given no directive otherwise, Himchan remained in attendance upon Jongup well after the time he’d been brought back and into the morning hours as well.

                “Uppie?” Himchan asked again, holding the unresponsive hand between both of his as he sat next to the white covered bed.  The sheets made Jongup’s complexion look even more wan and did nothing to reassure his eldest sibling that things were going to be alright.  He hadn’t died from the wound but divine weapons left lasting scars and were not as easy to heal by mere potions.  Freya had gotten to him quickly, but it could not have undone all the damage inflicted immediately.  And it was Loki’s weapon.  There was no telling if he’d done something to it that would further affect the Valkyr or any of the gods for that matter.

                “I know you can hear me, Uppie,” Himchan forced a laugh and traced the dirty blonde bangs back out of his brother’s face with his fingers, combing the strands with his palm to calm the frayed locks.  “You’re going to be just fine, baby,” he urged, resting the same hand on the gently rising and falling chest, feeling his brother take one breath after another.

                “Valkyrs can die?” Soohyun asked in a quiet whisper as they listened in from the edge of the doorway with Minzy keeping an eye down the main hallway in case she spotted anyone coming.

                “I guess so,” Yongguk shrugged, swallowing the fear that followed Soohyun’s question in regards to Daehyun.  Biting his lip, he peeked around the corner to see Himchan bending his head forward over his brother’s hand.  “It makes sense, I suppose.  They’re not exactly gods and even they can die sometimes,” he shrugged reluctantly, further validating his concern about Daehyun.

                “Like Baldr right?” Minzy asked for clarification, whispering behind her hand as if it would help to keep her voice low.

                “Ne,” Soohyun and Yongguk answered at the same time, falling silent as Himchan spoke again.

                “You did so good, Uppie,” he smiled, wiping his eyes without his helmet interfering for once, the protective headgear resting beside him on the floor.  “I’m not mad at you, baby.  You know that.  But I need you to wake up now,” he urged, threading his fingers through Jongup’s and holding firm.

                “I know you probably want to rest because you always did love your sleep love, but we need you now,” Himchan chuckled as he let emotion filter into his tone.  “You found the traitor and helped to bring him in, but there’s still a lot of work to be done, Uppie.  We can’t do it without you,” he breathed, bringing the back of Jongup’s hand to his lips as he gave it a chaste and brotherly kiss.

                “Are they fighting in the war like us?” Yongguk asked with a glance at his two companions.  He knew they’d been recruited for the purpose and Himchan had been in the process of leading them to the front lines, but he hadn’t been under the impression that the Valkyrs would be fighting as well.

                “Sounds like it,” Soohyun commented, waving at Minzy to get her attention.

                ‘All clear,’ she mouthed to them from the hallway, looking both directions once more just to make sure.

                “You know Odin won’t be mad at you,” Himchan assured his unconscious brother.  “It was Freya’s fault you got hurt.  And Loki’s.  Not yours.  So open your eyes for Channie, ne?” he pleaded, clinging to the unresponsive hand in his grasp.  “Don’t you dare make me go to Frigg to make sure you wake up soon,” he forced a laugh, though both eavesdroppers could tell there was no mirth in it.

                “Frigg’s here?” Yongguk inquired with a furrowed brow.  She was supposed to know the fate of all…  If they could reach her, perhaps she could be convinced to tell them how they would die so that maybe they could stop or delay it.

                “She’s not exactly a fighting goddess,” Minzy shrugged as she came close to squat near them, giving them the signal for the all clear once more, dashing past the doorway to minimize her chances of being seen by the Valkyr.

                “So where would she be then?” Soohyun questioned for them, spreading his hands wide in inquiry.  “And why would she tell us anything even if we did find her?”

                “It’s Frigg…  How in Nifleheim are we supposed to know?” Yongguk groaned.  He jerked when Minzy did though and looked up at the same time.

                “Someone’s coming!” she hissed and waved at them to move her direction, down the hall and away from the entrance.  Neither male argued as they popped up and sprinted for the corner, flattening themselves against the wall as they listened in for whoever was approaching.  It didn’t take long for them to realize it was a female voice speaking and they pieced together it was probably Freya talking to Himchan as they leaned around the corner to hear better.

                “What do you want?” Himchan asked in as neutral a tone as he could manage while he appraised the nervous figure of Freya standing next to him, unable to look at Jongup’s form.

                “Lord Odin has told me you should return to the front lines,” she explained carefully, fingers threaded together before her.  Himchan just blinked at her and then turned his attention back to Jongup, running the backs of his fingers across his youngest brother’s cheek.  “You know he will wake in time, Himchan,” she explained as she took a tentative step towards the seated Valkyr.  “Your abilities, more than his, are needed to keep the Jottuns from breaching the line.”

                Troubled eyes slid to regard her from his vantage point and Himchan spoke in a soft tone so as not to disturb his sibling, “You, the goddess of battle, dares to tell me I am needed on the front lines?”  Himchan rose to his feet and turned to face Freya evenly, not flinching in the least when she glared at him, her nervousness falling away at being challenged so openly.

                Freya drew her shoulders back and approached the taller male, jabbing her finger into his chest firmly, “You are a Valkyr Himchan.  You are just as much a soldier in this battle as your Einherjar,” she stated icily, punctuating her statement with several more jabs against his chest, catching on his armor.  “You know that Mimir has seen our downfall and that includes you.”

                “I do not argue that, but you failed in protecting my brother, Freya.  Not I,” he responded just as curtly, glaring at the shorter goddess.  “But if I may turn the tide in that battle, then it will not be because you told me.  My Lady.”

                She wagged her finger in front of him with a cross expression and ground her teeth in frustration.  “You were the one that was awakened ahead of schedule to retrieve your brother,” and she pointed animatedly at Jongup, “from his own stupidity and ignorance!  Had he not betrayed Odin for the sake of a mortal, he would not be in this condition.”

                “You will watch what you say about my brothers, Freya,” Himchan warned softly, eyes narrowed at her verbal transgression.  “For they will never be yours to command,” he snarled, shoving her back and away from Jongup’s bed with enough force to make her stumble, though he did not raise a hand against her otherwise.

                “Watch yourself, Valkyr,” she sneered angrily, making no attempt to retaliate though it was obvious she wanted to.  “None of you are indispensable.  I would take care that I did not end up as Loki’s sons,” she taunted with a scathing expression.

                Himchan strode forward, forcing her to back up towards the door as he approached, “They were traitors and likely deserved their fate, my Lady,” he told her forcefully.  “I am not.  You would do well to remember that,” Himchan warned as he backed her out into the hallway by his presence alone.

                Freya glared at him and brushed the front of her person off before she looked up and smoothed her golden hair down again.  “Do not forget that Jongup has already betrayed us once.  I can only hope that it doesn’t run in the family.”

                “Enough Freya,” Himchan snapped, placing both hands on the doorframe to bar her entry completely.  “Unless Lord Odin comes to tell me otherwise, I will remain in attendance upon my brother until such a time that he awakens.”  At Freya’s frightful glare, Himchan merely blinked and added, “If the front lines are so desperate for capable fighters, perhaps you should go in my stead, Battle Goddess.”

                The Valkyr was completely taken aback by the fist that caught him straight in the jaw and sent him flying into the room, sliding across the floor as his armor scraped over the hard surface with a pained sound.  “You go too far, Himchan,” she hissed as she stalked into the room with a spear materializing in her hand, the tip pointed straight at him.

                Hissing from between his teeth, Himchan glared at her and jumped to his feet quickly, interposing himself between her and Jongup’s form.  He drew his sword in a defensive manner but made no effort to refute her claim, adjusting his stance so that he was more prepared to meet her should she attack him again.

                Mutely, the two glared at each other, unmoving and tense until the stalemate was broken.  Neither was prepared when the entire hall rumbled, sending tremors through the very foundation on which they stood.  “What was that?” Himchan asked, reverting to his wary, battle ready persona once more.

                Freya looked more thoughtful than anything else and withdrew her spear at last.  “Loki,” she explained simply, letting her gaze bore into Himchan for a few seconds more before she turned around and walked out without another word, booted feet tapping loudly on the floor.

                Confused as to how Loki was able to make the entire hall shake, Himchan sheathed his sword and turned to regard Jongup with concern.  Though the noise they’d made had been considerable, his sibling had yet to stir… which was perhaps for the best.  He really didn’t wish for him to hear such things.  Especially not now under rather poor circumstances.

                Resignedly, he resumed his seat at Jongup’s side and placed his hand atop the younger male’s comfortingly.  “Alright, Uppie.  If Odin shows up, I’ll have to head out, but it would be nice if you could wake up before then,” he smiled, tightening his fingers around the unresponsive hand.

                Holding their breath until Freya left, the trio hiding down the hallway looked at each other and remained utterly motionless until she was gone, lingering only long enough to hear Himchan’s comment to his brother.  “Did you guys hear that?” Minzy hissed in open-mouthed awe, surprised by the unexpected intel they’d been privy to.

                “Does anyone else think they act like the rest of us mortals?” Soohyun asked with a simple shrug of his shoulders.

                Yongguk ignored their questions and stared at the floor as he absorbed the conversation as best he could.  Youngjae had theorized that the Valkyrs slept in cycles and apparently Himchan had been awakened ahead of schedule to apprehend his sibling.  He had wondered why all three of them were awake now and this just made him even more curious.  Had Daehyun been awakened ahead of time?  And for what?  He couldn’t help the probably vain hope that maybe he’d done something like his brother and had gotten involved with a mortal.  Maybe someone like… him?

                “Bang?”  He flinched when Soohyun snapped his fingers in front of his face, tearing him from his somewhat ludicrous thoughts.  “Have you been listening at all?” he rolled his eyes when Yongguk gave him an apologetic smile.

                “You’re thinking about him again aren’t you?” Minzy accused with a knowing look.

                “No,” he answered automatically but couldn’t actually meet her gaze.

                “You’ve got the goo-goo eye thing going on.  It’s weird,” she explained with a raised brow.

                “Whatever,” he grumbled, waving his hands in a dismissive gesture.  “Are we going to move or not?” he tried quickly to shift their attention.

                “Right,” Soohyun nodded in agreement.  “With any luck, Odin should be heading this way shortly with Freya and hopefully, that’ll leave Loki unattended.”

                “I don’t know about you guys but I’m wondering what Freya meant about his sons…” Minzy trailed off, rather nervous about the prospect.  How exactly did the gods deal with traitors?  Of course that also applied to Loki at this point… and Sigyn.

                “Eh… maybe we’ll know more when we actually find him,” Yongguk urged, shooing them away from the wall so they could start making their way towards the part of the hall where they figured Loki was being held.

                “I’m still wondering what we’re supposed to do when we get there,” Minzy huffed, rather frustrated by their overall lack of planning in this.

                “I told you.  I’ll think if something,” Yongguk insisted from the front, skulking quietly as they peeked around each corner and stealthily moved inward.

 

                Back on the ground at last, Daehyun sat with his legs folded in front of him while he watched Zelo and Youngjae argue, or perhaps it was more of a debate at this point, about something while he went over what had happened.  Things just didn’t add up right now.  His being sent to confront Brah… Seunghyun instead of Himchan.  Why he had his brother’s Einherjar specifically.  And why hadn’t Odin allowed them to go to Valhalla?  Had it happened with Himchan as well?

                What about what the Lord of the Undead had said?  He wasn’t supposed to trust or believe everything the gods said but what had he been implying specifically?  Frustrated, he pulled his helmet off and scratched at the itchy scalp beneath, fluffing the silver strands everywhere in a messy tangle.  And what in Nifleheim were they supposed to do now?!  Yongguk would have had something to…  Wait.  Why was he thinking about him again?  That stupid gummy smile and his unforgettable deep voice and…

                “Ack,” he groaned as he let himself fall backwards and lay out on the ground, staring at the sky.  He winced when the image flooded in of another sky, clear and blue, interposed itself over his vision and if he but turned his head, he could see a younger Yongguk smiling at him, their hands close enough to touch…

                “Daehyun?” Zelo asked almost immediately, feet scuffling closer as the taller male bent over to peer at him in concern.

                “You’re not sick are you?” Youngjae asked, his visage coming to rest on the other side of Zelo as they both looked down at him, blocking his view of the morning sky.

                “I’m fine,” Daehyun muttered, sitting back up and reluctantly pushing himself to his feet as he dusted himself off and replaced his helmet while he shook off the remnants of the vision.  Neither of his brothers had ever made mention of seeing things and he knew he couldn’t be going crazy.  If they weren’t from this lifetime, what were they from then?  He didn’t recall Yongguk from any of his previous awakenings so when would he have made connections?  How could he see something that had never happened?

                “Um…” Zelo started to ask as he raised his hand in tentative inquiry.

                Youngjae interrupted whatever he was going to ask though with his own question, “If you were supposed to report after meeting Brahms… curse it!  Seunghyun… why aren’t they trying to contact you now?”

                Daehyun shook his head while he peered at the sky speculatively.  “I’m not sure.  Maybe it has something to do with what I felt earlier.  It would explain why neither of my brothers has tried to contact me.”

                “But not why neither Odin nor Freya haven’t either,” Youngjae reminded him with a raised finger.

                “That… I cannot explain,” Daehyun admitted with a sigh, letting his shoulders slump forward.  There was just so much he didn’t know and no way of finding out short of approaching Odin or Mimir directly.  Unfortunately, neither was much of an option since he knew the All Father wouldn’t tell him anything via the Eye of the Gods and he didn’t have access to them while on Midgard.

                All three of them paused and their gazes looked to the sky when they heard what sounded suspiciously like thunder, though storm clouds didn’t threaten on the horizon.  “What was that?” Zelo asked, hand reaching for his sword nervously.

                “It sounded like thunder,” Youngjae answered by rote, just as mystified.

                Daehyun’s brow furrowed in confusion as he looked around to make sure a storm wasn’t approaching.  “No.  It wasn’t thunder.  I’m not sure what it was, but I would give much to find out.  I am concerned it may have come from Asgard.”

                “Seriously?” Zelo asked with an amazed expression.

                “Well, depending on the day, sound can carry remarkably well over the Bifrost and if Thor is having a bad day, we may sometimes hear the sounds of his ire,” Youngjae commented knowingly as he nodded his head along to his own explanation.  He frowned though when Daehyun shook his head.

                “That may be true but that wasn’t any thunder from Thor.”

                “So… what was it then?” the youngest asked again.

                 Both Einherjar looked at Daehyun for an answer he couldn’t give them with any certainty.  “We’ll just have to wait until someone tries to contact us.”  His companions were as happy with his answer as he was, but he had nothing else he could tell them.  The truth was he didn’t know and his lack of knowledge wasn’t helped at all by the way his thoughts kept jerking toward Yongguk and his siblings and wondering how they all were at this time.  The sensation of panic had finally subsided but he was still left feeling uneasy by something one of his siblings was experiencing and there was little enough he could do to find out.  That, more than anything else, bothered Daehyun the most.

 

(a/n: You know, I tried several times to make Freya less of a in this update and it just didn't happen.  >.>  She's understandably annoyed that the Valkyrs don't respect her quite like they do Odin but I'm going with the whole thing that her and HImchan heads more than the other two.

On an entirely unrelated note, one of the only things I can think of when I read the title is Samwise Gamgee's line from LOTR and 'I ain't been dropping no eaves sir!'  Smh  Yeah.

I am ridiculously looking forward to writing the next update though because some key things are finally going to be revealed and I'm also rather excited that Daehyun is entertaining the prospect of his visions being truths he is not wholly aware of.  Huzzah!  I'll try to explain what has happened to Loki's sons the next update as well, but if I don't get to it in story and you don't look it up in the meantime, I'll add a note at the end to fill you in.  ;)  It's not exactly pleasant, but then again, neither is the majority of Norse mythology.  It's a pretty brutal history actually if you look at it.  :S

And yes.  Sometimes the actions of the gods were heard in Midgard even when they did occur in Asgard and were often times used by mortals to explain things they did not understand.  Similar to the same associations in Greek mythology actually.

As always, thanks so much for reading and I hope you continue to enjoy!  <3)