Chapter 17 – Truth… It Hurts…

That Man, That Woman

 

Hyoyeon couldn’t hold on to her tears anymore as she burst into tears in the alley.

 

“My young lady here, although I don’t know you, but please don’t cry. Everything will be alright in the end...” A familiar voice broke the silence.

Hyoyeon immediately recognized the voice. “Uncle Junjin!!! Is it you Uncle!! It’s you!!!”

The old vagabond gasped.

“Are you Hyoyeon?? Hyoyeon-ah! You are alright! You woke up! Oh my… Hyoyeon-ah. My poor girl. It must have been tough on you. My poor girl… Hyoyeon-ah… Oh thank God you are alright… Thank God you woke up. My poor Hyoyeon-ah… Come let uncle see you… Ayigoooo, still as pretty as ever. My poor little girl… I’m so happy you are alright… ”

Uncle Junjin was one of CEO Kim’s co-worrker and pioneer who set up the Kim Empire. He practically watched Hyoyeon grew up and was one of the closest elder to Hyoyeon. He was also chased out of the company after Eric took over the company. Left with no choice, Uncle Junjin became a beggar to survive.

 

Hyoyeon was more than happy to see this Uncle who she trusted and respected. She soon began telling him her plans of revenge.

Upon listening to Hyoyeon, Uncle Junjin’s expression changed.

“Hyoyeon-ah, I think there is something you should know. Decades ago, the Kim Empire wasn’t known as Kim Empire. Rather it was known as the Mun Empire, ran by Eric’s grandfather. It was passed on to his father in the later years. However, Eric’s father didn’t cherish what he had. He took on gambling as a hobby. Soon he was in tons and tons of debt. Your father saw the chance, and used underhand methods to force his father to pass on the company to him without any terms and conditions. Your father paid his debt. However, not long after the acquisition, Eric’s parents both got into an accident and died on the spot. That 9-year-old Eric became an orphan overnight. Your father, though, promised to take care of the young and to give the company back to Eric when he is of age. It was the only right thing to do. When he chased the pioneers out of the company, I felt that he was just doing what he was supposed to do. Hence none of us retaliated, since the company was rightfully his. You’ve misunderstood Eric, Hyoyeon-ah… You should stop your revenge plans… ”

Hyoyeon couldn’t believe her ears. She tried to persuade her that it’s all lies. But she knows that Uncle Junjin wouldn’t lie to her …

“So my father was the bad guy?” Hyoyeon whimpered. Uncle Junjin simply nodded. The truth was too much for Hyoyeon to take. Why did her father do that? Why did her father wanted to harm other people? The man she cherished and respected the most... Her father… So all these days, she has been lied to? So what is the truth? If she really had taken revenge on Eric, she would also become the bad guy… She was in turmoil. Confused between the truth and lies she has lived through, Hyoyeon couldn’t stop weeping. She really didn’t want to believe her Uncle Junjin. As though losing her soul and spirit, Hyoyeon dragged her feet away from Uncle Junjin. No matter how loud Uncle Junjin called her, Hyoyeon couldn’t hear it anymore.

 

Hyoyeon was overwhelmed with anguish… The truth just hurt so much…

A smirk appeared on the face of a man hiding in another corner of the streets.