Case 1: An Apprehensive Picture Show

Unknown Subject

 

Taemin was often left alone at the office. He didn’t mind though, he’d rather hide behind his screen than go out and face the world. The only people he needed were his netizens. It’d been that way for about 10 years since his mother died. He’d really missed her and from then on, he’d shut everyone out, including his father.

Taemin knew that he’d make his mother proud with his new job. Before this, he’d just been a hacker at large, but now, he was catching goddamned criminals with his computer hacking skills.

He sighs and leans back in his chair as he continues to sort through the data. He had to learn about Taeyeon and Tiffany’s entire life story without really ever having met them, within the next hour or so before the bedtime he designated himself. What about my life story? Taemin thinks to himself as he looks at another monitor on his desk. This one was never turned off and was constantly searching through every article, every database for the name Jinon. Taemin swore he would bring those men to justice.

“Run, Taemin, run!” His mother calls to him as she’s pulled back by the masked figure. They were at the bank when suddenly the calm environment turns to one of horror as a group of two robbers takes over the bank. Taemin turns back to see his mother choked and gagged by one of the robbers and Taemin runs back to help. The robber feels a fist fly into his face and he reels back in surprise, dropping his gun in the process. Taemin picks the gun up and his mother looks at him in horror.

“Shoot me little boy, shoot me if you can.” The robber taunts him and Taemin grits his teeth putting his finger on the trigger. His mother squeals and tries hard to break free.

“Go on, shoot him!” The other hostages urge him and Taemin feels tears stream down his face. He catches his mother’s sad look and the slight shake of her head. Taemin looks back at the robber with his smirk, knowing that Taemin didn’t have the guts.

“Come on, time’s a wasting.” The robber says, laughing at him. BANG! A gunshot is fired and Taemin looks down at his hands, did he fire the shot? He looks towards his mother who is now slumped on the ground, a red fountain of blood blossoming from her head.

“No!” Taemin screams, running towards his mother, clutching her tightly to his chest. He holds onto her as if to hold in the sobs threatening to erupt from his body. The other robber grabs his comrade by the arm and drags him towards the exit.

“Why’d you shoot her?” The robber who’d held his mother hostage asks.

“He was taking too much time Jinon.” The second robber says. So Taemin hadn’t fired the shot after all. He clenches his teeth, holding in his anger. The robbers escape the bank before the police arrive moments afterwards. Taemin feels himself being pulled to his feet and away from his mother. Everything seems like a blur as he sees paramedics trying to resuscitate her.

“It’s too late, she’s gone.” One says to another.

“DOS, I’ll call it.” A doctor in a white coat says. She happened to be on the ambulance with her boyfriend when the call was made in. His mother was wheeled into an ambulance and that was the last Taemin ever saw of her.

Taemin bolts up straight, gasping. He wasn’t at that bank; he was sitting down in his chair still running data. He sees that the computer had spit out some results and he sent the information quickly to the rest of the team. He glances at his special monitor once before walking out of his office into the rest area of their base.

They had a pull out couch so Taemin decides he’ll sleep there for the night. It was late and it wasn’t any lonelier than Taemin’s house. Taemin tucks himself into the bed and looks up at the black ceiling and drifts into a dreamless sleep. On his computer screen, a cellphone tower pings a signal to a phone listen under the name Kwon Jinon.

“Where did they find Yuri?” Jonghyun asks, stifling a yawn as they make their way to her old residence where her boyfriend agreed to meet them. Her house had gone to her boyfriend after her death and he was struggling to sell it. He couldn’t bear to keep it and no one could bear to live in a house where the famous actress was so brutally murdered.

“She was found in her living room.” Key says, sipping his coffee.

“Her boyfriend found her when he returned home that night. He was out late for a business meeting and she got home first from her shoot.” Minho says, eyes threatening to flutter shut.

“So, the unsub must have been stalking her long enough to know her day to day schedule.” Jonghyun says, “For the other two, he used arguably simpler methods, but for Yuri, he really planned meticulously.”

“Taemin sent us the leads on our unsub and we’ve narrowed it down to about 10 names.” Onew says, keeping his eyes on the road.

“Well, we know for sure it couldn’t have been Lee Joon, he isn’t exactly known for his brains.” Key says, referring to his atrocious mathematical skills.

“I’ve left Taemin with the homework of watching the movies. He should be able to give us leads on the significance of the films to this case.” Onew says and Jonghyun nods.

“Alright guys, we’re here.” Onew says, pulling into the driveway of the Kwon residence.

“Interesting.” Minho says.

“What?” Key asks.

“Notice how her house comes down a winded path? It’s in a secluded area that’s well shaded by trees, the unsub, by theory, could have sneaked in easily without notice. But…” Minho says.

“But what?” Key asks again.

“See those security cameras?” Minho asks, pointing to the cameras mounted at the gate and at periodical points around the property.

“Yes?” Jonghyun says.

“If you look over at that fence, that’s the blind spot of all the cameras. The cameras wouldn’t have been able to have caught that angle and since there was no record of the unsub on the CCTV tapes, he must’ve sneaked in through there.” Minho says. “The unsub was stalking her much longer than we thought.”

“Almost to the point of obsession.” Jonghyun echoes, his mind whirring.

“That’s not a very large space and he would’ve had to have done it quickly if he wasn’t to be caught by security.” Key observes, pointing to the area.

“Right, to fit through there, he couldn’t have been anywhere over 5’ 9”.” Minho says.

“Hello gentlemen.” A man dressed in slacks comes to greet them.

“Hello, Agent Kim here. These are my colleagues, Lee, Kim and Choi.” Key says shaking the man’s hand.

“Hello.” The man says, “Why are you reopening this case now? Officers said they had searched every possible lead and couldn’t find anything.”

“We’re relooking into the case sir, because we believe we have something that will help us find the suspect.” Key says.

“Is that so?” The man says wearily and leads them into the house.

“Can you describe what you saw when your found Yuri?” Onew asks.

“Oh god.” The man says, running a hand through his hair.

“It’s okay, take your time.” Key says kindly.

“I walked into the house and heard Huey Lewis playing from the living room, all the lights were on, but besides the music, it was dead silent.” The man says.

“Jagiya, I’m home.” He called through the house to be met with no response. “Yuri? Where are you?” He asks, walking through the house towards the sound of the music.

“Yuri, baby? I’m home.” He says, but something felt off. “Hello? Don’t scare me Yuri.” He says, heart pounding in his chest. Something was definitely wrong. He gasps as he sees the red surrounding his girlfriend and he kneels down, grabbing her limp body.

“Yuri! Wake up! Yuri!” He says, but she was already gone, lying next to her was a raincoat splattered with blood and a silver, bloodied axe with the numbers 26-04-09 written on it.

“So I dialed 911 and the police came, along with the reporters.” The man says burying his face into his hands.

“We’re terribly sorry for your loss.” Key says, laying a hand on his shoulder.

“Can you tell us anything else about that night?” Minho asks.

“Yes, the furniture was all covered with white sheets and there were sheets of the style section of the newspaper taped to the floor.” He says and Minho looks at Jonghyun who nods at him.

“What time did you get home that night?” Onew asks.

“Around 8:30 p.m., Yuri was home by around 7:00 p.m.” He replies and Onew writes it down on his note pad.

“Thank you very much sir, we’ll be in touch.” Jonghyun says, standing up and they exit the house.