Case 2: The Wheels on the Bus...

Unknown Subject

 

“We’re looking for a male in his late thirties to forties, about 6 feet and 145 pounds.” Minho says to the crowd of officers that had gathered.

“He’s married and highly religious; he has most likely suffered some kind of fatal illness or gone through a life and death event within the last six months.” Onew says.

“He is most likely suffering from psychosis and grandiose delusions that lead him to believe he is some kind of messenger sent from God. We have reason to believe that he’s “collecting” the souls of the people he’s killing in small bottles.” Jonghyun says.

“He has a wife that may or may not know what he’s doing and he has children as well. He has a family member that works in the meat business. We believe he’s fairly well off, average to above average income with a comfortable living style.” Key says.

“He has a background in law enforcement; he could be amongst us right now or he could be an ex-con.” Minho warns.

“Please investigate thoroughly and let us know if you find someone who matches this profile, thank you.” Jonghyun says.

Onew’s phone rings and he picks up, “Yoboseyo?” He asks.

“Hey Onew, I think we might have something.” Taemin says from the other end and Onew nods to the others, signaling them to follow him into the office room.

“Taemin, you’re on speaker, what’s up?” Onew asks.

“I think I might’ve found something. This guy raises all kinds of red flags.” Taemin says.

“Explain?” Yoona says, and Taemin is somewhat shocked to hear a female voice.

“This is Im Yoona, chief of the Mokpo Police Department.” Minho explains.

“Nice to meet you, I’m Agent Lee but you can call me Taemin.” Taemin says.

“Yoona.” Yoona answers.

“Okay, so what do you have?” Jonghyun asks.

“Well, there have been about 100 purchases from the company that sells little glass bottles in the last six months, about 20 of which trace back to the Jeollanam-do area.” Taemin says, “I did a bit of digging with the help of your profile and taking account the geographical locations, I was able to diminish this list down to four people, sending it to your phones right now.”

“Thanks Taemin.” Onew says, looking at the list.

“Sir, I think I might have something.” An officer says approaching them.

“Yes?” Yoona asks.

“Well, around a year ago, a man by the name of Lee Woojung retired after he was a victim of a hit and run. He managed to recover but was never stable enough to return back to the department.” The officer says and Yoona frowns.

“He’s on the list Taemin sent us.” Jonghyun says with a nod.

“Lee Woojung? He was one of my best officers; it’s hard to believe that he’d do such a thing.” Yoona says and the officer shrugs.

“I’m not sure, he just happened to fit your profile so I thought I’d bring it up.” The officer says.

“You never know.” Jonghyun says, gears in his brain already whirring.

“Thank you, we will look into it.” Onew says kindly.

“Just doing my job.” The officer says somewhat proudly.

“I think we need to have a good chat with Mr. Lee.” Jonghyun says.

“I have his address right here.” The officer says presenting Onew with a small post-it note. Onew takes it from him with a polite bow and the officer walks away resuming his duties.

“Jonghyun and Key, I think it will be best if you take this address, Minho and I will go visit some of the other names.” Onew says and Jonghyun and Key nod.

“Alright, let’s move out.” Yoona says, appointing officers to trail the NIS agents.

“We’ll be back.” Jonghyun says grabbing the keys he’d left in the glass bowl in the middle of the table and Key takes the address from Onew.

“Yoona-sshi, would you like to accompany us?” Minho asks and Yoona nods, sending her men to the other two places that weren’t covered by SHINee.

“Here, Taemin sent me some information on Lee Woojung.” Key says, looking at his tablet.

“Read it to me.” Jonghyun says, keeping his eyes on the road.

“Lee Woojung was an ex-detective for the MPD. He had a freak accident back in ’98 when he was the victim of a hit-and-run. The man was convicted and given life for attempted murder. People said that it was a miracle that Lee Woojung survived but he was busted up pretty bad, he was too traumatized to return to the department.” Key says.

“Go on.” Jonghyun says.

“Since his retirement he’s also loved attending wine tastings. There was wine tastings in both cities where busses were abducted and him and his wife were both on the guest list.” Key says.

“Mhm.” Jonghyun says again, expecting more from Key.

“He became an avid church attender after his freak accident; he believes that he was saved by God and that God gave him a purpose on this Earth. Quickly moved up the ranks in his church and now sits on the board of directors.” Key says.

“Bingo.” Jonghyun says.

“It says here that he also filed two suggestions to the company for allowing late night rides on religious holidays.” Key says.

“Huh.” Jonghyun grunts.

“There was a bill onto his credit card for the small glass bottles, the order was made about 6 months ago.” Key says.

“Around the time the murders started.” Jonghyun mumbles nodding.

“Alright, we’re here. Park here on this side and we’ll walk over.” Key says. Jonghyun knocks on the door of their house and an older woman answers the door, Jonghyun and Key bow respectfully before showing her their badge.

“We’re from the NIS and we’re here just to ask a few routine questions.” Jonghyun says.

“Have they not caught the killer yet?” The woman’s face scrunches up with worry. Poor soul, doesn’t know her husband’s a killer. Key thinks to himself.

“Not yet ma’am, we’re working on it.” Key says.

“Well come in, sit down. Can I get you anything? Coffee, water?” She asks, leading them into her house.

“We’re fine. We were just wondering if we could just ask your husband a few questions.” Jonghyun says.

“Sure, Woojung!” She calls up the stairs and a man in his late forties comes down the stairs.

“Well hello boys, is there something I can do for you today?” Woojung asks them and Jonghyun and Key exchange a glance. This wasn’t what they were expecting at all.

“Bye dear, I’m just going out to get some groceries okay?” The wife says and Woojung nods.

“We’re with the NIS and we’d like to just ask some routine questions about the recent bus tragedy.” Key says and the man’s face twists up. Jonghyun looks around the house to see many different paintings of Jesus around the house. There was a large crucifix mounted on one of the walls. Saying this man was religious was an understatement, he had an entire wall of theological books.

“It’s a terrible thing ain’t it? Going after innocent citizens like that?” The man says coolly.

“Which is why we’re trying to put a stop to it as fast as we can.” Jonghyun replies.

“It seems like our citizens are in capable hands.” Woojung nods.

“Where were you Mr. Lee the night before the accident?” Key asks.

“Well, my wife and I were enjoying a lovely dinner at home.” Woojung replies.

“What were you doing the next day?” Key asks.

“I watched a little TV, stayed at home mostly.” Woojung replies.

“What were you watching?” Key asks.

“I caught some variety shows, watched an episode of the Gag Show.” He replies.

“Did anyone see you, or can prove that you were at home?” Jonghyun asks.

“No, why?” Woojung asks and Jonghyun shoots Key a look.

“Sir we’re going-” Key says but is interrupted by a rude ringing coming from Jonghyun’s pocket.

“Sorry, I need to take this.” Jonghyun says standing up. “Hello?”

“Another bus has gone missing.” Yoona’s voice says from the other end of the line.

“We’re on our way.” Jonghyun says and hangs up.

“Thank you for your time Mr. Lee, we have somewhere we need to be.” Jonghyun says dragging Key by the arm.