Case 4: SHINe (Medusa I)

Unknown Subject

“Dr. Kim will see you now.” The receptionist said and the two agents stood up to meet Park Jaesung, the psychologist who treated Taemin, revealed in his undisclosed files.

Jonghyun watched as one of the doctor’s patients exited the room with the doctor. Park Jaesung was big man in his late forties with a rotund face and a large stomach. His eyes were fairly close together and were hidden behind a pair of spectacles and his hair was slicked back flat against the top of his head.

“Thank you doctor.” The patient said, shaking Jaesung’s hand. Park Jaesung smiled kindly.

“No problem, I think we made great progress today, I will see you at your appointment the following week.” Jaesung said and the patient nodded before bidding the doctor farewell.

Jonghyun took this as an opportunity to introduce Minho and himself. He stepped forward, and stuck out his hand politely in greeting. “Hello doctor, I was wondering if we could have a moment to speak with you.”

“And you are?” Jaesung asked the duo with a raised eyebrow. He had to admit, their timing was absolutely impeccable. That or the man he spoke to moments before on the telephone was an absolute genius. He was leaning towards the latter. He gestured for them to enter into his office and he sat down in his black leather chair, peering over his spectacles at the two of them.

“Agent Choi and Kim from the Bureau.” Minho said flashing his badge, Jonghyun following suit. Jonghyun looked around his room as Minho engaged the doctor’s interest with standard procedure. It was a cozy room, with two of the walls lined with mahogany wooden bookshelves full of psychological books. There was a small window behind the doctor’s desk carved into the pastel blue walls. He observed a small placard placed on Jaesung’s desk that had “PSY” carved into it. What did it mean? It looked like at some point there had been more letters there but had eventually been worn away to nothingness.

“What is this all about?” Jaesung asked, his eyebrows knitted together in concern. Jonghyun snaps his attention back to the man sitting in front of him, the man who supposedly treated Taemin.

“We wanted to ask you about a patient you treated.” Jonghyun said.

“You’re going to have to be more specific Agent, I’ve had a lot of patients.” Jaesung said crossing his short arms over his chest.

“One by the name of Lee Taemin.” Minho said.

“I’m sorry, I don’t remember such a patient and even if I did, I can’t break patient-doctor confidentiality.” Park Jaesung said as he shook his head. Minho opened his mouth to protest but Jonghyun stopped him with a slight shake of his head.

“We appreciate your time, if anything else comes up please let us know.” Jonghyun said, handing him a business card and Park Jaesung took it from him, placing it upon his desk. Minho watched as he placed the card on his desk. He doubted they would ever receive a call from him.

It wasn’t until the pair reached the car did Minho question Jonghyun’s actions.

“Why didn’t you let me continue investigating him?” Minho asked Jonghyun. He was often did not understand the profiler’s thoughts when investigating, nor did he often appreciate Jonghyun’s methods. Minho, however, respected Jonghyun’s skill enough to acquiesce his requests.

“There would have been no use in interrogating him. Did you see his actions? He crossed his arms over his chest a sign of closing up. Had he told us anything, I certainly doubt it would’ve been the truth.” Jonghyun said and Minho exhaled.

“That doesn’t prevent us from trying does it? With the right kind of motivation, I’m sure he would’ve caved to our demands eventually.” Minho replied.

“What do you propose are the right motivations? Besides, whatever the motivations are, I’m sure the person he’s working for is offering better motivation.” Jonghyun replied shortly as he started car. Minho fumed silently and Jonghyun observed him out of the corner of his eye.

“You might not understand it now, Minho, but I think you might in the days to come.” Jonghyun said and Minho flushed at his words seeing as the profiler saw through to his true feelings.

“You were right, they came just as you said they would.” Jaesung said into his phone.

“Of course they did. They’ll be making a second visit soon after they make their arrest.” The male voice answered. The grin could be heard in his sultry voice.

“What am I to do when they visit next?” Jaesung asked.

“You tell them everything.” The man replied and hung up.

Jonghyun returned to the office and loosened his tie. He saw a letter sitting on his desk addressed to him and he went over to open it. A wave of nausea hit him as he opened the letter, the only words greeting him were the letters in the decoration of his carpet.

As Key, Taemin and Onew returned to their office, they saw a man being carried out on a stretcher as well as their boss waiting there for them.

“Lee Jinki.” The woman called sharply as the clicking of her stilettos on the marble floor cut through the silence. Onew half ran to meet her midway.

“Can you explain to me why I found one of my agents sprawled on the floor holding a letter laced with ricin?” The director asked Onew in a cold, unforgiving tone.

“I-I-I don’t know.” Onew stuttered, he hadn’t known someone from his team was down until he had returned from interrogation. Minho walked out stone faced as he turned from Onew and continued in the direction to Taemin.

“Minho, what’s wrong?” Taemin asked, worried and he was met with a connection between Minho’s fist and his face.

“Have us investigate huh? You sick bastard.” Minho yelled, as Key tried to separate Minho from pummeling Taemin. “You. You convinced us to investigate for you and then you poison one of our team members!”

“Minho, what is going on?” Key yelled desperately as he tried to get the situation under control. All he knew was that Onew was currently speaking with the director in a hushed tone tinged with a sense of urgency. One of their team members was currently on a stretcher and Minho was unreasonably angry at Taemin.

“There is a lot about Taemin you didn’t know.” Minho turned to Key and handed him the computer files he’d found hidden on Taemin’s program. Key looked through them slowly, the shock setting in.

“Taemin, what’s this?” Key asked in a slightly crazed tone.

“Can I even trust you anymore?” Minho asked Taemin angrily.

“I promise you! It wasn’t me, swear to God!” Taemin cried out but his attempts to defend himself were futile as he saw the good natured attitudes of his teammates turn into that of fear and loathing.

“The evidence suggests the opposite.” Minho said as he threw a disk in Taemin’s direction. On it was a boy with the build of Taemin sneaking into the office with Taemin’s badge and leaving the letter on Jonghyun’s desk. “Is that proof enough?” Minho asked, turning to Key.

An armed guard walked toward the trio and put Taemin in handcuffs.

“Ma’am, I’m sure there is some reasonable explanation for this-” Onew said but was firmly cut off by his superior.

"I'm sorry this case has been handed off to Internal Affairs, they will take it from here." She said with a tone of finality to her voice.

"But ma'am-" Onew interjected.

"I think you four have done quite enough, take a few days off." She said setting her steely gaze in Onew’s direction.

"But-" Onew protested.

"That's not a request." She said as she her heel and clicked away. A man in a suit comes by and locks their door, barricading the entire floor with caution tape.

“So, what do we do now?” Key asked.

“You heard her. Go home and get some rest. We’ll return when Jonghyun recovers.” Onew replied.

“And the case?” Key asked.

“We won’t be looking at it anymore.” Onew replied. “I’m going home, I suggest the two of you do the same.” He said, grabbing his coat and his keys and entering the elevator.

“What about Taemin?” Key asked.

“What about the traitor?” Minho replied bitterly as he too grabbed his coat and entered the elevator leaving Key standing along in the corridor of the top floor.

“What about our teammate?” Key whispered to himself. He picked up the disk with the evidence on it that he’d dropped earlier. His hand hovered over the trash can but decided at the last moment to stuff it in his coat pocket. He would take a better look at it later.

“I won’t give up on you Taemin.” Key promised to the empty hall as he descended down the elevator, unsure of what lay ahead.