Case 3: The Extreme Sasaeng

Unknown Subject

 

1200. 11/11/2012. Gangnam District. Seoul.

“Hello there sir.” A man with dark features says opening the door of the apartment that SHINee was directed to.

“Kim Jaejoong? I appreciate the time you and your members have made for meeting with us today.” Key says.

“I’m Agent Lee, these are Agents Kim and Kim.” Onew says shaking Jaejoong’s hand.

“These are the other members of JYJ, that’s Park Yoochun and the other is Kim Junsu.” Jaejoong says and the members give a polite nod when their respective names are called. “The pleasure is ours; it is good we’re meeting under these circumstances and not worse situations.” Jaejoong says and everyone notes the implication.

“Now, we know that you have experienced a scandal in the past involving these sasaeng fans, would you mind telling us a little bit about your experiences with sasaengs?” Key asks and Jonghyun flips open his notebook.

“It was around the time we had just become popular, the sasaengs started showing up.” Yoochun says rubbing between his eyebrows as if he were experiencing a bad memory.

“At first it started off small, with one or two fans leaving gifts in front of our apartment, some following us in their cars and waiting outside our recording building.” Junsu explains.

“Slowly it got worse, they started threatening the ajhussi who manages our apartment and the gifts they would leave would block the entire hallway.” Jaejoong says.

“Then they’d start breaking into our apartment, touching our private things and kissing us while we were sleeping.” Yoochun says shuddering.

“They would knock on our doors while we were at home and they were so loud that we’d constantly receive complaints from our neighbours.” Jaejoong says.

“Jaejoong and Yoochun tried dealing with them one day and talking to them rationally but they were so hard to deal with the two hyungs just snapped. We were going through an incredibly rough time as it was.” Junsu adds.

“They’ve installed CCTVs in our parking garages, as much as we try to remove them, more show up the next day.” Yoochun says.

“It was a crazy time. When all five of us lived in the same apartment, we had to move constantly. At one point we moved so much we stopped bothering to unpack our belongings.” Jaejoong says.

“We were like refugees in our own homes.” Junsu says.

“Having someone watch you every minute of the day is like being in a prison without bars.” Yoochun says.

“Some of our members were some mentally traumatized they secretly went to get therapy.” Jaejoong says sadly.

“We understand the pain and suffering you experienced but we were wondering if there was anything recent? Had your fans become violent in some way?” Onew asks.

“What do you mean?” Jaejoong asks.

“Threatening letters, acts of violence against people you work with?” Key asks and Junsu pales.

“You mean like this?” Junsu asks, getting up and rifling in a drawer nearby. He pulls out a stack of letters written on stationary and hands it to Key.

“Exactly like this, where did you get this?” Key asks.

“They’ve been showing up on our doorstep within the last three months or so.” Junsu says. Onew and Jonghyun nod at each other confirming that the messages appeared at around the same time as those of TVXQ.

“Whoa, how come I didn’t know about this?” Jaejoong asks.

“Yeah, me neither.” Yoochun says.

“I didn’t think they were serious.” Junsu says shrugging. “I’d been finding them taped to our doors or slipped in between pages of script. I just wrote them off as some person trying to mess with us.”

“One more thing, is there anyone who is close to you who would know your schedule?” Key asks.

“Our manager, our stylists and our company would. Sometimes broadcasting companies post when we’re appearing and then fans figure out when we’re filming.” Jaejoong says.

“Anyone of our sasaeng fans would too.” Junsu says shrugging.

“Alright, thank you very much.” Key says standing up and shakes the members’ hands again.

“Just one more thing before you go.” Yoochun says.

“Yes?” Key asks.

“How have the members of TVXQ been? I mean we haven’t talked recently so I was wondering…” Yoochun says, trailing off.

“They’re doing well. I mean, this entire incident has put them through the wringer but other than that, they’re fine.” Key says and Yoochun relaxes a little bit.

“Thanks.” He says.

“No problem.” Key says and SHINee files out of the apartment and into their car. They see a group of girls whispering by their car and holding their phones out, taking pictures of them.

“Hyung, better check for GPS trackers.” Jonghyun whispers to Onew and he nods. Onew pulls out a convex mirror from the trunk of their car and uses it to sweep under their car for possible trackers planted on it in the time that they were gone.

“We’re clear.” Onew says and the other two get into the vehicle with a sigh of relief.

“Now I realize how scary fangirls can be.” Key says breathing a sigh as Jonghyun backs up out of the driveway.

“Do you think we’re going to be able to speak to the sasaeng fan president?” Onew asks.

“Why would she speak to us?” Key asks.

“That’s what we need to convince her of.” Onew says, “Someone on the inside has to know what’s going on and the more information we can get about our unsub, the better.”

“I don’t know if she’ll speak to us but we can try.” Jonghyun says and they fall silent, each of them thinking of the horrors experienced by TVXQ and JYJ.

“Hey Minho, look at this.” Taemin says scanning one of the notes with a black light. Minho notices small ridges in the paper that are formed into words.

“Interesting. Apparently, our perfectionist wasn’t so perfect after all.” Minho says, dialing Key’s number quickly.

“What’s up Minho?” Key’s voice comes from the other end of the line.

“Key, we’ve found some imprints in the paper, can you come meet us in the lab?” Minho asks.

“Be right there.” Key replies and hangs up. Taemin grabs a bunch of the case files and takes them over the corner of the room where he sets up a computer to scan them into the computer.

“Hey Taemin, Key’s coming down here so Jonghyun and Onew will need an extra set of eyes to work on the profile, why don’t you head on up to help them?” Minho asks Taemin and he nods once, grabbing his things.

“Yeah, I’m on it.” He says, walking out the door. He climbs from the dark staircase leading to the forensics room to the brightly lit cream coloured lobby. He enters the glass elevator that brings him to the top floor where Onew and Jonghyun were working on the case in the common area.

“Hey Taemin!” Jonghyun greets and Taemin lies his blazer across a chair, putting the stack of files on the warm mahogany wooden table.

“Where’s Key?” Taemin asks, looking around.

“He already left; did you see him on the way down?” Onew asks and Taemin shakes his head.

“No, I must have just missed him. What do we have so far?” Taemin asks.

“Well, I hate to say this, but with no body or crime scene to analyze, all we can go by is Key’s writing profile.” Jonghyun says, “I think we take dead bodies for granted sometimes.”

“That’s a terrible thing to say.” Onew says and Jonghyun shrugs his shoulders.

“I heard you found an imprint in the paper?” Jonghyun asks and Taemin nods.

“We found some words written, Key and Minho are down there analyzing it right now.” Taemin replies.

“Great.” Jonghyun says.

“Okay, so instead of focusing on a killer, let’s focus on who our unsub is.” Onew says.

“Taemin, why don’t you take a shot at this, Onew and I have wracked our brains, it’ll be good to hear some new ideas.” Jonghyun says and Taemin nods.

“Well, there is a certain level of sophistication associated with the threats; the person has to be around at least 20 years old.” Taemin reasons and Onew nods.

“We were thinking the same.” Onew responds.

“Most likely female, our killer is quite organized. She is infatuated with her oppas and will stop at nothing until she gets them.” Taemin suggests.

“Right, and she has a case of erotomania.” Jonghyun says.

“Erotomania?” Onew asks.

“Erotomania is the delusion that a person of a higher social status, usually a famous person or celebrity, is in love with them.” Jonghyun explains.

“Although the object of affection may not be verbally telling it to them, the unsub believes that they are saying it through their actions, whether it is onstage, in variety shows or in dramas.” Taemin says and Jonghyun looks at him impressed.

“Very correct.” Jonghyun says.

“So, if someone were to get in the way…” Onew trails off.

“It would become very dangerous very quickly.” Jonghyun says with a grim expression.

“You know, there’s another thing. Usually sasaengs have these incredibly top secret fanclubs. They’re confidential and hard to get into beyond belief.” Onew says.

“We have reason to believe that our unsub is within one of these clubs.” Jonghyun says.

“But, how do we know which one?” Taemin asks.

“Well, judging by those pictures, the unsub must be of a high rank in one of the clubs. They aren’t at the top though. Taemin, can you run this through a program and generate a list of similar shots to those of the ones we have and trace it back to the source?” Jonghyun asks and Taemin nods.

“Now, what if we were to get one of our own team members into the club?” Onew asks and Jonghyun shakes his head.

“We can’t, every single one of us has had media exposure, the sasaengs would smell us out immediately knowing we were with the feds.” Jonghyun says.

“That’s where you’re wrong. One of us hasn’t been shown to the public.” Onew says looking in Taemin’s direction. “I wonder how Taemin-sshi would look with a wig.”

“Probably very pretty.” Jonghyun guesses, catching onto Onew’s plan.

“Got it, there is one fanclub that the photos originated from, if we can track the IP address, I assume we can track the owner of the fanclub too.” Taemin says and turns around to find Jonghyun and Onew scrutinizing him.

“What? Do I have something on my face or something?” Taemin asks.

“Nope, just beauty.” Onew says and Taemin raises an eyebrow at him.

“I’ll have Key make some phone calls; see if either TVXQ or JYJ will meet with us at a photography studio.” Jonghyun says.

“Guys, what are you talking about?” Taemin asks confused.