Case 3: The Extreme Sasaeng

Unknown Subject

 

“Did I not warn you the first time?” A high pitched voice bounces off the walls of the empty studio. The video editor stayed late to finish a few more scenes that would be aired in two days.

“Hello? Is someone there?” The video editor calls out, shivers tingling down his spine, could this be…? He’s met with no response and he assumes that he was just imagining things.

“Stay away from my oppas!” The voice calls out again and this time, the video editor is sure he heard it. It was loud and clear, there was no way he was imagining it.

“Hello?” The video editor calls out again. He saves his file and closes his laptop. He then goes over to investigate the sound. Although the editor knew he was alone in the building, he couldn’t shake the feeling that he was being watched.

“I warned you to stay away!” He hears again, the high pitched voice that raises the hairs on the back of his neck. He continues walking towards the source of the sound.

He sees a light emitting from a strange dark room and he slowly cracks the door open to find an empty room with a small monitor looping security footage of some crazy fangirls trying to break into the building.

The video editor sighs and walks slowly back to his station to find his laptop open with his latest video file lighting up the screen. That was strange; the editor swore he closed his laptop before he went to investigate.

He brushes the thought away, dismissing it simply as his fatigue clouding his memory. He sits back down at his desk to find the video looped in a strange way. Now he definitely wasn’t imagining things.

“I told you to stay away from my oppas, didn’t I?” A voice says from behind him and he opens his mouth to scream, only to be brutally cut off by the gunshot to the back of his head.

A woman takes the letter she had written to him from a few days ago and pins it into his temple with a red thumb tack. She nods in approval of her work and cleans the muzzle of her silencer on his shirt.

She walks away, knowing that her oppas will thank her later for this. As long as that group of detectives stopped meddling with her matters. She frowns. Perhaps she would need to do something about that.

 

0800. 11/13/2012. Warehouse 13, Studio 9-B, Seoul.

“We have a body.” Onew says grimly, entering the conference room where SHINee gathered. “We’re going to be travelling around the clock with TVXQ! until this matter gets resolved.” Onew announces to the ashen faces before him.

“Who was the victim?” Jonghyun asks, speaking up. Onew hands them all case files of the photos and papers still warm from the printer.

“Jung Blake, he was a Korean-American video editor that had moved here within recent years to work for KBS.” Onew says and Key winces at the usage of past tense in the description of the victim.

“He was shot and killed execution style last night while working on a video. A note was tacked into the side of his head with a thumb tack.” Minho says reading the case file and Taemin tries not to let his horror show on his face.

Taemin wasn’t used to experiencing the action first-hand, rather, he’d find out about it on one of his screens. This… was a new experience for him.

“They’ve left the body right?” Key asks and Onew presses his lips together.

“They did, but not before one of the officers walked right into the pool of blood.” Onew says and Jonghyun mutters something along the lines of damned officers can’t ever do anything right.

“I think we better get a move on. Taemin, you go with Jonghyun and Key to the crime scene. Onew and I will stay with TVXQ.” Minho says and the five of them stand up to head to their respective locations.

“This is a murder case now.” Taemin mutters to himself.

“Damn right.” Jonghyun replies.

Taemin sits in the backseat of the black car and looks out the window as Key and Jonghyun bicker quietly about the best route to their destination. To be honest, Taemin wasn’t in a rush to get there but he knew how critical it was to see the crime scene exactly as the unsub wanted it to be seen. Either way, observing dead bodies wasn’t at the top of the list of things he wanted to do.

“Why are you so silent Taemin?” Key asks, piping up from the front, disturbing Taemin’s train of thought. Taemin looks away from the window and into Key’s concerned eyes.

“Just admiring the scenery.” Taemin says and Jonghyun makes a small coughing noise. Taemin knows that Jonghyun doesn’t believe him and he kicks Jonghyun’s seat slightly. He hated being on the same car as a profiler sometimes…

“We’re almost there so sit tight.” Key says smiling at him kindly and Taemin nods and smiles back. Key, satisfied with his answer turns around to face the front, resuming his conversation with Jonghyun once more.

They pull up in front of a series of large warehouse type buildings full of sets for various shows. They come to a large building in the middle of the warehouses where offices lay. The entire area was sectioned off with police tape and the workers who’d reported for work in the morning were now crowded outside the door. Taemin gets out of the car slowly and Jonghyun holds up a hand.

“Taemin, it’s better if you stay in the car. We’ll have someone bring evidence to you and you can register it into the computer okay?” Jonghyun says and Taemin nods in relief, h didn’t want to see the body. Jonghyun pats Taemin on the shoulder quickly before entering the building.

“Stay here and look for the people’s reactions. There’s a chance that the unsub might be present amongst the spectators.” Key says to Taemin, putting on his blazer and following after Jonghyun quickly.

Taemin grabs a camera and puts on a pair of shades and a hat. He changes out of his black suit into a pair of jeans and a lighter coloured blazer. A frail girl's eyes widen as she sees Taemin exit his car.

Chameleon, his mother always called him for his uncanny ability to blend into his surroundings. Even before he became a tech, he never stood out. He wasn’t a loner or someone extremely popular. He hid in plain sight. He was one of those kids you’d speak to once and then forget their name straight afterwards.

He sees a girl walking straight towards him, not really watching where she's going. "Excuse me sir." She says, bumping into him as she walks away. She bows quickly and walks in the opposite direction. Taemin doesn't have a chance to see her face and doesn't make much of the interaction. 

Yes, Taemin was good at hiding, yet in the crowd, there was someone better at blending in than he was and Taemin failed to notice the pair of eyes trained intently on his every move.