Case 2: The Wheels on the Bus...

Unknown Subject

 

“Did you find anything?” Yoona asks.

“We have some ideas. We’re heading back to the station to get a better idea of what’s going on.” Onew says and Yoona nods.

“I’ll have the boys finish up here and we’ll join you later on.” She says and Onew bows and walks away.

“There’s one thing that bugs me.” Jonghyun says once they’re on the car.

“What’s that?” Key asks.

“Why is the unsub out the toxin and what is he using the small glass bottles for?” Jonghyun asks.

“I’m not sure.” Key says, “We can have a better look at them in the lab when we get back.” They stay silent for the rest of the car ride.

“Do you think the unsub has some kind of complaint against the public transportation system?” Minho asks.

“I’m not sure, we can ask Taemin to check it out for us.” Onew replies.

“At your service.” Taemin says, picking up the phone call immediately.

“Taemin, we need you to look into people who’ve placed complaints to the bus company within the last six months and cross reference that with a list of people who might have some relation to the company.” Onew says.

“The unsub must not have been immediately recognized as an imposter so they must have had a uniform of some kind.” Minho says.

“Done and done, I’ll let you know if I find something. So far, it doesn’t look like there’s anything glaring about victim ology; it looks like they’re all random.” Taemin says.

“Keep looking and get back to us soon.” Onew says and Taemin hangs up. They arrive back at the police station, Key and Minho head into the forensic lab to help process evidence while Onew and Jonghyun work on the profile.

“So we know that the unsub likes making a show, kidnapping a public transportation bus in front of dozens of people.” Onew says.

“Married, most likely in his forties and if he’s driving an SUV, that probably also means that he also has children of some sort.” Jonghyun says.

“Why do you say that?” Onew asks.

“Why such a large car for just a couple?” Jonghyun says, “He must have a family of some sort.”

“Hey Taemin, check for unsubs who have large cars, look in the DMV database.” Onew says.

“On it.” Taemin says.

“Just stay on the line Taemin, we’ll probably need your help again.” Onew says.

“Hey, look at this.” Jonghyun says pointing to an evidence bag pinned on the corkboard.

“A pentacle?” Onew asks.

“Didn’t we find the same thing at our most recent crime scene?” Jonghyun asks.

“Yeah, and there’s something similar from the incident before that.” Onew says.

“Looking up churches in Jeollanam-do, but you’re really going to have to be more specific though, there’s a lot.” Taemin says.

“Look here.” Onew says, pointing to the geographical locations of the murders. “They’re all within 50 kilometers of each other, Mokpo, Muan and Yeongam.”

“Narrowing it down to those regions.” Taemin says.

“I might have an explanation for the purpose of the bottles.” Jonghyun says, paling.

“Shoot.” Onew says.

“If he’s religious like we think he is, he might be trying to collect the souls of these bodies.” Jonghyun says.

“Go on.” Onew prompts.

“Think about it, he’s injecting the gasses into these people and makes the life leave their body. He then “collects” these souls in the small bottles.” Jonghyun says.

“You might be right,” Taemin says, “Usually soul collectors will go either for specialization or variety. If he’s targeting random strangers on a bus, I’d say he’s going for variety.”

“He might have some misconception about himself that he’s doing the Lord’s work and that he’ll take these souls into heaven when he dies.” Onew adds.

“Pentacles are common practice for protection against evil. Perhaps he’s protecting himself against bad souls as well.” Taemin says.

“This is all fine and dandy, but what turns a regular church man into a killer?” Onew asks.

“He must have had some kind of stressor.” Jonghyun says.

“Check for individuals who have experienced an accident, had medical issues or experienced a life and death accident within the last six months.” Onew says.

“Taemin, can you work with that?” Jonghyun asks.

“Usually churches will have those little welcoming cards, if our unsub is travelling from place to place, there’s no doubt he’s attending different churches too.” Onew says.

“Check, I will ask churches for their congregation lists and complied lists of new members, cross reference that with our list of complainers from the bus company and bingo was his name-o.” Taemin says.

“One last thing.” Onew says before Taemin hangs up.

“Yes?” Taemin asks.

“Narrow down complaints to those that may be religiously related.” Onew says.

“On it. I’ll check back with you later.” Taemin says.

“I think we’re ready to give the profile.” Jonghyun says, glancing at Onew.

“Let’s see what Minho and Key have found first.” Onew replies and Jonghyun agrees.

Minho and Key work in the lab examining the bodies.

“So I see you got your eye on Yoona there.” Key says, not looking up from his clipboard.

“How’d you know?” Minho asks, looking up surprised.

“Jonghyun tipped me off.” Key says smugly.

“Remind me not to keep secrets when I’m working with a top profiler in the country.” Minho mutters to himself.

“Well, don’t worry, I don’t think you have much competition from Onew. He just respects the way she leads her team, he’s still trying to find his footing as our leader.” Key says.

“Well a hell of a job he’s been doing, he’s a natural so what does he need to be worried about?” Minho asks, genuinely respecting Onew as their team leader.

“Cut the guy some slack, from day 1, we all sort of outshined him, but he’s really the backbone of our team, we just need to give him some time to figure it out.” Key says gently.

“What about you?” Minho asks.

“What about me what?” Key asks.

“Do you have your eye on some pretty lady?” Minho asks teasingly and Key stiffens.

“Not anymore.” Key says harshly and Minho is taken aback at his change in tone, he decides for the wise not to question Key any further. Minho makes a mental note to ask Jonghyun about Key later and instead starts the official autopsy.

“Autopsy report, the time is 5:22 p.m. June 1st, 2012.” Minho says into a recorder. “This is Special Agent Choi Minho accompanied by Special Agent and Linguist Kim Kibum.”

“We are currently inspecting a Korean male in his early thirties, black hair and brown eyes.” Key says.

“There are no outside wounds on the body. The skin is tinted a slight rosy pink.” Minho says. “There is a slight trace of the smell of bitter almonds on the victim’s clothes and body.”

“A high concentration of oxygen in the blood as well as a lack thereof to the brain and other such organs are synonymous with cyanide poisoning.” Key says.

“This concludes the exterior analysis.” Minho says and closes the tape recorder.

“So, cyanide as expected.” Key says.

“Hydrogen Cyanide is used in gas chambers actually; they’re usually used in capital punishment.” Minho says.

“The death penalty?” Key asks, raising an eyebrow and Minho nods.

“How would our unsub have even obtained the gas?” Minho asks.

“So you think he works in law enforcement.” Key says and Minho nods.

“That would explain the knowledge and use of the cyanide.” Minho says.

“What about the machine used to the gas out of the bus?” Key asks.

“That machine might be similar to the exsanguination device used by slaughterhouses. Those are relatively easy to obtain.” Minho says.

“A relative or friend in the meat business.” Key deduces and Minho nods.

“Let Taemin know.” Minho says and Key calls him to update him on the latest information.

“Looking into it right now.” Taemin says.

“Do you still have that bottle that Jonghyun found at the scene?” Key asks.

“Yeah, it’s right here.” Minho says handing it to him. “No prints.”

“Look along the bottom, there’s a company for the glass bottles. If we trace the supplier, find the orders that have come through to this area…” Key trails off.

“On it.” Taemin says taking the hint.

“Thanks Taemin, you’re the best.” Minho says.

“I know.” Taemin says teasingly and hangs up.

“Can we look at that lift of the footprints made?” Key asks. Minho brings over the lift made by one of Yoona’s officers.

“Okay, so we can see the unsub was carrying quite a heavy weight by the impression the sole left in the shoe.” Minho says. “The exsanguination device, I presume.”

“I had Taemin look up the brand and model of the shoe, turns out it’s your average Adidas shoe, a model from about two years ago.” Key says.

“The unsub doesn’t care much for appearance then.” Minho says.

“His shoe is for comfort, not for style.” Key nods, agreeing.

“We’ve determined from the print that the unsub is about 6 feet and about 140 pounds.” Minho says.

“His wife is around 5’ 4” and 120 pounds.” Key says.

“His wife was wearing a pair of heels; you can tell they were wedges from the shape of the print.” Minho says.

“Sketchers, a pair of heeled boots.” Key adds.

“They had a pretty comfortable lifestyle then, being able to afford these brands.” Minho says.

“How is the investigation coming along?” Yoona asks.

“We’re getting there.” Minho replies with a smile.

“We need to act fast though, the unsub seems to have upped his speed and frequency.” Key says. “He made the first murder six months ago and the last one just a month ago. The fact that he’s striking again perhaps indicates that it’s becoming more serious and that something’s intensified. We need to catch this guy soon.”

“He?” Yoona asks, wrinkling her nose, “How are you so sure it’s a male?”

“Judging by the footprints and by his M.O., our profile suggests that he’s a male.” Minho replies.

“Alright then.” Yoona says.

“We’re going to meet the rest of the team now, would you like to accompany us?” Minho asks ignoring the fact that Key was elbowing and secretly smirking at him.

“Sure.” Yoona replies and they head to the office where Onew and Jonghyun were working.

“What did you find?” Onew asks them and Minho relays their discoveries to Onew and Jonghyun.

“Gather your entire department; we’re ready to give them a profile so that we can find a suspect.” Jonghyun says and Yoona nods once.