Case 1: An Apprehensive Picture Show

Unknown Subject

 

 

“You know what’s odd?” Minho asks Jonghyun as soon as the man was out of earshot.

“What?” Jonghyun asks.

“The fact that he noticed the newspaper, but he didn’t notice the phone that was placed face down on the coffee table. It’s as if no one has touched anything out of this room since the murder.” Minho remarks.

“Yuri was either taking a phone call or making one when the unsub intruded on her house.” Jonghyun says.

“But the fact that she put the phone down gently instead of it being on the floor means that she knew the attacker, or was at least familiar with them.” Minho says.

“Right and she must have wondered about the newspaper too, she must not have been home for very long or she would’ve started to remove the newspaper from the floor.” Onew says.

“All three women knew the attacker, or were at least expecting them in some way.” Key says.

“What about the number on the axe? Could that possibly be the release date of another move?” Minho asks.

“I’ll have Taemin check.” Onew says.

“I think I have the profile ready.” Jonghyun says and they all pile into the car where they take the jet back to the base.

“Guys, I have something.” Taemin says as they enter the conference room where Taemin was waiting. “All three victims were killed to model the death scenes of three famous slasher films.” Taemin says.

“Psycho, Scream and?” Minho asks, wondering what the third movie was.

“American Psycho.” Taemin answers, “However, the date that you gave me wasn’t the premiere of the movie, like the other two.”

“So this date bears some kind of importance to our attacker in resemblance of Kwon Yuri.” Key says.

“Tactically speaking, he had to have been within the building by the time Yuri was home since he’d already covered the furniture and laid the newspaper.” Minho says.

“The unsub is a male in his early twenties and went to school with the three victims. He has some kind of vendetta against the drama club at his school. He has a lot of pent up anger and was most likely scarred or scorned by the victims in some way before their deaths.” Jonghyun begins giving the profile, “He’s obsessed with films and even more so with those of the horror genre, perhaps he submitted a film or script to the victims and they rejected it leading to the scorning. He is of high social status and is in a well-paid job somewhere in upper management. His need to control his victims shows that he is lacking control somewhere in his life and most likely dominates his partner in order to make up for it. He needs acceptance and will go to great lengths to gain it.”

“His family is tied to the financial sector as he’s able to obtain records of the women’s financial statuses.” Taemin adds. “He’s been attending a film festival similar to Sundance but on a much smaller scale.”

“Do you think maybe he taped the murders?” Minho wonders aloud.

“And tried to submit it to the festival? Taemin, see if you can get copies of entries in the horror section and take a list of directors of the last 5 years and cross reference that number on the axe with the date of the festival.” Onew says.

“I think we need to have a word with Sooyoung one more time.” Key says.

“Yes, and we need to speak with that hotel manager.” Jonghyun says, nodding to Onew.

“Given this information, I think I can narrow down the suspect list to one or two people and go over attendees of this festival.” Taemin says.

“Good idea.” Onew says, “I’m going to go make some phone calls.”

“So, what do you think?” He asks Taeyeon, as she purses her lips looking over the entry.

“I’m sorry, it’s too bloody. There’s no craft in the way this film is directed, all it is, is a bloodbath. The characters aren’t well developed and the killer has no real motive. It lacks… touch.” Taeyeon says returning the disk to him. His face scrunches up in a mix of anger and disappointment.

“I can fix it! I can make it better!” The man calls after her.

“The deadline was today, I’m sorry.” Taeyeon says wrapping her scarf around her neck getting ready to leave.

“I’ll find a way, can you just give me another chance? I’ll do anything!” He begs her on his knees.

“Look, I didn’t want to tell you this because we’re classmates, but honestly, that film was god awful. The lighting was too dark, the camera was shaky, and one of the supposedly dead actors sneezed in the middle. If you’d submitted it as a dark comedy rather than a horror film, it might actually have stood a chance. If you want, next year, I’ll give you some pointers and we can try again okay?” Taeyeon says walking out to her car.

“No.” The man says, clenching his fists. This movie was a masterpiece and he would make her see it.

“So, he’d only been coming for the last three years? That’s the first time you saw him? Alright, thanks for your help.” Onew says, writing it down. So their unsub only attended the film festival for the last three years.

“You are not going to believe this.” Taemin says breathlessly bursting into Onew’s office.

“What?” Onew asks.

“I’m sorry, we cannot accept that.” Tiffany says in an apologetic tone.

“Why not?” He asks.

“Look, I love you, but we can’t use this film. It’ll scare away the attendees of the festival.” Tiffany tells him firmly.

“But it’s a masterpiece! They need to see it too.” He tells her.

“Maybe next time.” Tiffany tells him, patting him on the shoulder and leaving.

“They were all directors for the same film festival.” Taemin reports, having everyone crowded in Onew’s office.

“It’s a volunteer event.” Onew says.

“Could it be possible that he submitted an entry and was rejected?” Jonghyun wonders aloud.

“Volunteers from the community come back to help run it every single year, by tradition, alumni of the drama club direct and coordinate the event. They decide which entries make and don’t make it.” Taemin continues.

“But, Yuri… why was there so much anger in her murder?” Key asks.

“We know all three of them must have rejected his entry, but perhaps she was crueler with the delivery?” Minho questions.

“Maybe, or maybe there was some ulterior motive also involved?” Onew suggests.

“A scorned lover? This doesn’t exactly scream crime of passion; he sure killed them in quite a roundabout way. I think there should be more focus on the films, his need for acceptance.” Jonghyun says.

“Director, he’s back. Do you want me to have him removed?” An employee whispers in Yuri’s ear. “I’ll call security.” He says, grabbing a phone, Yuri holds up a hand.

“No need, I’ll handle him.” She says coolly, looking at him levelly. “I see you’re back.” Yuri says to him and he nods.

“I brought you another copy.” He says, handing her a disk. She loads it into her computer and sighs.

“Look, I know you pursued me in high school, but it’s time to end things. I’m getting married to my boyfriend soon. Your petty little confessions need to stop, besides, don’t you have a wife? I’ll be blunt with you. This kind of crap won’t ever make it big time, believe me, I know. You tried to date me because I was a budding actress and you thought you could make it by using me right?” Yuri speaks to him, watching the terrible acting in the video.

The man clenches his fists in anger.

“Life doesn’t work that way. I encouraged you because I was trying to be nice, but films and acting are an art. You have to have talent, you either got it, or you don’t. You wouldn’t ever be accepted into the film community, trust me.” Yuri says, taking a breath before she continues, “I’ve spoken with the past employees and they said you submit something every year? Well, I think it’s time you do something else with your life. Even though it took me 100 auditions to score one gig, I would always make it to the final round, not get eliminated right away.”

The man gets angrier.

“Money won’t buy you in either. Look, our deal is off. I won’t submit any of this to any of my producers or directors.” Yuri says.

“But you promised-“ the man starts but is cut off my Yuri raising her hand.

“I promised that I would consider showing something to my director if it was worthy. This clearly isn’t worthy enough. Do yourself and me a favor, stop wasting time making these crappy little film shorts and focus in on your company or something. I think we’re finished here.” Yuri says, standing up with flourish and handing him back his CD. The man watches her retreating figure and snaps the CD in half. He was going to make her pay.

“If he were set on hurting these people in power to accept him, he’ll go to great lengths to be accepted.” Onew says, Jonghyun opens his mouth to say something but is interrupted by a ping from Taemin’s computer.

“The film festival sent us all the entries from the past 10 years.” Taemin says.

“Focus in on those from the years the victims were directors and look specifically in the rejected sections of horror/slasher films.” Onew says.

“One entry comes up; it’s the same video every year. It appears for the first time three years ago and the entry date is the same as the axe.” Taemin says.

"His personal premiere." Key says nodding.

“Name of the person entering?” Minho asks.

“Taejoon. Park Taejoon.” Taemin says, pulling up the video and projecting it onto the wall.