The Linguist, The Profiler, The Tactical Expert

Unknown Subject

 

They approach the table with a man wearing a bright pink jacket purring to another woman in what sounded like French. The man lifts his head and spots the duo approaching.

“Excuse me sir, I’m the club manager and I’ll need to have a quick word with you.” Onew says to the man wearing the pink clothes. The man quickly dismisses the woman he was speaking to with a coy smile and giving her a bag of what seemed like clothes, blowing her kisses as she departed.

“Finally. I was wondering how long it’d take you. You know, when the man held up a sign with the words ‘Time to Go’ scrawled across it, I just thought the NIS was cutting budget.” The man says exhaling, leaning back in chair, smirking at them. He had bright blonde hair that was slightly yet artistically ruffled. Besides his bright pink jacket, he was wearing a pair of black skinny jeans and easily blended with the club scene.

“And you are?” Onew asks, sitting across from him, Taemin sliding into the booth beside the man.

“Linguistics, Key.” He says shortly. “Three down, two to go right?” He says and Onew nods to him.

“Good thing too, it looks like that hottie is getting tired of mixing tracks, he’s been playing the same tune over and over.” Key says beckoning over to the DJ.

“I noticed. He’s been playing a blended track of “Time to Love” by T-Ara and “Go Away” by 2NE1. He’s obviously getting irritated.” Taemin says and Onew works to keep up with the speed of which their minds worked.

“Let’s go relieve him of his misery, shall we?” Key says, standing up walking towards the DJ. The DJ looks up at them, and takes off his headphones.

“Can I help you?” The DJ asks.

“Yes, I’d like a copy of your track, “Time to Go”.” Key says and the DJ nods, hopping down from the stage, beckoning to another guy to take his place.

“Just follow me.” The DJ says leading them to a back room where he shuts and locks the door behind him. “Finally, I’ve been waiting forever.” He says, as soon as he steps into the room.

“Well, they’d only found me seconds earlier.” Key says, holding his hands out shrugging off the blame.

“Hmm, well, judging from your held back posture, your unquestionable smirk, your narcissistic attitude and attention attracting clothes, I would say you are our linguistics expert, born and bred out of Paris, born out of money am I correct? Then again, your impeccable eye for fashion, the need to blend in also shows some kind of inner dissatisfaction, an inferiority complex. Interesting.” the DJ says and Key looks at him, his jaw dropping.

“Really, we’ve just all met not too long ago.” Taemin says and Jonghyun turns to him.

“Bright and innocent, that’s what you seem to appear to be, you seem to be a calm and gentle guy, but you actually love high risk and high pressure activities. You are very confident in your abilities but right now, you’re starting to doubt yourself because you noticed that I destroyed the bug that you’d left in this room as well as the fact that someone else cut one of your tapes and looped it right under your nose.” The DJ says and it’s Taemin’s turn to gape at him.

“It’s my fault, I was the slowest.” Onew says and its Onew’s turn to be scrutinized by the DJ.

“Ah, team leader, good to see you. You know this isn’t your fault because judging by the way you stand; you reason that everything had been timed for you. You’re a humble man and easily underestimate your abilities, but you have a strong aura that naturally inclines you to leadership and taking control of the situation. I’m very happy to be working with such a competent group.” The DJ says.

“So, who are you exactly, and how did you come about this?” Onew asks him, surprised himself at the detail orientation of this man.

“Profiler, Kim Jonghyun from the SMPA. They transferred me over to this group about a month ago and sent me a book titled Volume. The bookmark had the words ‘Time to Go’ written on it and was stuck on page 258, in the fifth chapter.” He replies, shrugging his shoulders.

“Impressive.” Key says, a little miffed that Jonghyun had so easily stolen the show with his abilities and Taemin looks somewhat uncomfortable, looking around the room at different corners until he rests his eyes on one corner and seems to relax.

“Well, let’s get a move on if we want to find tactical and communications manager.” Jonghyun striding towards the exit, but turns around once with his hand on the door knob. “By the way Taemin, stop looking around for those bugs, I destroyed most of them but left the one in the far right corner.” Taemin stiffens but sighs in admitting defeat, well, at least for now. 

They walk out of the room together and out of the club entirely, making a sharp left turn immediately outside the building to a back entrance where a lone bouncer is guarding the door. The bouncer was well built but on the skinny side. He had black, slightly curly hair, a very tall stature and a pair of shades perched upon the bridge of his nose.

Jonghyun sticks his hands into his pockets and retrieves a small flashlight. He shines the beam on a brick not 10 yards from the bouncer and the bouncer looks up. He seems surprised but doesn’t say a word.

“Yo Minho, don’t the shades make it hard to see at night?” Jonghyun calls out to him and Minho sighs.

“Can we leave now? My shift was supposed to end like 2 hours ago.” The bouncer says as he walks towards us. He removes his shades and hustles us into a black car that Onew hadn’t even noticed pull up and Minho signals to the driver.

“Nice to meet you Minho, I’m Lee Jinki from the NCIA.” Onew says and Minho shakes his hand with a solid, firm handshake.

“Choi Minho, I assume Jonghyun has already introduced me.” He says, “You know, when that lady handed me the slip of paper saying ‘Time to Go’, I thought she meant it would be snappy.”

“It’s not his fault; the NCIA was most likely testing our patience anyways. They sent the message which triggered the initiative, any time before that was basically wasted time.” Jonghyun explains and Minho nods. Minho didn’t seem to talk very much.

They arrive at a tall grey building and we step inside the elevator. The bellboy takes us up to the 16th floor without a word and we follow him. Key has somehow changed his clothes into more suitable attire and was now wearing a black leather jacket with blue skinny jeans. When had he changed, Onew hadn’t the faintest clue.

“Welcome.” A woman says sitting at her desk, chin propped up on her interlocked fingers. “Glad for you to join us today.”

“Thank you ma’am, but I was wondering, why are we here?” Onew asks her, she smiles and hands him a case file.

“You have each been chosen to be a part of this new special team that deals with sensitive cases. Each of you has a special ability that will aid you greatly in the success. This is a trial team, however, and if we find it ineffective, we will shut down the unit and return you to your positions.” She says, with no real indication of what we were supposed to do. Onew sees that the other members of his team were being handed the same case file as he was. He opened to the first page and started scanning through the information.

“With all due respect ma’am, this is a cold case. Do you want us to reopen and solve cold cases?” Taemin asks her, having already finished the reading. The woman shakes her head.

“We will be assigning you different cases each and every time, this just happens to be your first one. Suho will be taking you to your new office. Good luck.” She says and the bellboy from before escorts them to the top floor where our new office was. Unlike the other offices, this space was completely open without a cubicle in sight. It was surrounded by one way glass windows and had a fully equipped lab, powerful computers with large processors, five individual offices separated by glass walls and inner curtains for privacy. Each office had the designated member’s name printed on it.

“Well. What do we do now?” Minho asks and Jonghyun shrugs his shoulders. Onew breaks out of his trance and decides that taking the rest of the night off would be a good idea.

“We’ll start fresh and early next morning.” Onew says, “For now, just get some shut eye.” The five men depart awkwardly, not yet familiar with each other. They leave in separate directions, surprised to find a company issued car waiting for each of them.