Skip Beat

My Baby's Surrogate

 

Slowly creeping down the stairs and taking shy steps toward the living room, Kyuhyun walked to the owner of the house who was sitting on the couch working on his Ipad.

Siwon didn't seem to notice the boy until he was sitting on his knees next to him, biting on his lower lip and timidly hanging his head low.

“What is it?” Siwon curiously asked while trying to shrug off the tingling feeling that Kyuhyun’s current state was doing to his heart.

“I want Dukbokki” The ten-weeks pregnant boy sweetly stated, his gaze slowly shifting to meet Siwon’s.

“Now?” Siwon asked after checking his wristwatch and finding it was already eleven pm. His words led to a little pout to form on Kyuhyun’s lips before he nodded his head.

“The baby wants it” He confidently said while rubbing his tummy, making Siwon tilt his head at his action.

“Why do your cravings always happen in the middle of the night?” Siwon questioned, not really waiting for an answer since he knew it wasn't Kyuhyun’s choice to have these crazy craving at such an hour.

“Will you get it for me or not!” Kyuhyun exclaimed a little too loudly, surprising even himself as he instantly clasped a hand over his mouth in shock.

Siwon narrowed his eyes, knowing for sure that it was the hormones’ doing although, strangely, he felt like teasing the boy about it.

“Why are you raising your voice at me?” He dejectedly asked, holding on to his poker face expression because he wasn't getting enough of the adorable look on Kyuhyun’s face.

The surrogate’s eyes widened, hands falling off his mouth as he guiltily stared at Siwon. He then quickly lowered his head and nervously fidgeted with his fingers on his lap.

“I’m sorry”

Siwon watched how Kyuhyun looked so sad and he regretted his little teasing, especially when he noticed the little teardrop falling on Kyuhyun’s cheek, to which he immediately scooted over and stretched his hand to catch it before it fell on the couch.

“Hey… I’m kidding. It’s okay, I know it’s the hormones”

Kyuhyun surprisingly raised his head to look at Siwon, not really believing that the man was kidding.

He never kids around… I mean I’ve never even seen him smiling!

However, the tender look in Siwon’s orbs was enough to emit a smile from the surrogate’s lips.

“There’s the smile!”

Siwon’s words made Kyuhyun's smile widen as he rolled his eyes and averted his face to the side to hide his blushing cheeks.

“Are you still craving for Dukbokki?” Siwon unsurely asked, hoping their talk was a distraction and that Kyuhyun forgot about his craving.

However, Kyuhyun slowly faced him again, apologetically looking at him making Siwon sigh in understanding.

“Can’t you wait until morning? I’ll bring it to you first thing when the sun rises”

Kyuhyun let out a whimper, pout deepening and eyes watering from disappointment. He was really craving for Dukbokki like his body was in serious need of it. However, when he watched Siwon ruffle his hair before standing up, clearly going out to get it for him, he quickly gripped his arm and made him sit back down.

“It’s okay”

Siwon was taken aback, noting the sweet smile on the boy’s face and he felt that he wanted to grant the younger’s wish.

“No I’ll get it for you. It’s not good to leave your cravings like this”

Siwon argued and intended to stand up again but the grip on his arm tightened while Kyuhyun smilingly shook his head.

“As long as it’s the first thing I eat when I wake up”

Siwon was left dumbstruck at how caring Kyuhyun was. He didn't want him to go out this late to buy him food even though he was strongly craving for it.

“Are you sure?”

“Uh-huh”

Siwon still eyed him uncertainly and Kyuhyun felt somewhat happy about Siwon’s level of caring.

“I’m sure! Now you’re gonna have to distract me”

Kyuhyun smilingly suggested, and out of nowhere Siwon held his wrist and drew him closer until his head was resting on the man’s chest.

Both of their eyes bulged out at the unexpected move. Siwon didn't know what got into him to do such a thing, while Kyuhyun was having tons of questions running in his head right then.

Their bodies stayed stiff for a few minutes since neither one of them knew what exactly he should do. Kyuhyun could feel Siwon’s chest frozen under his head, realizing that the man himself wasn’t planning on this.

Not until another couple of minutes that Kyuhyun could feel Siwon’s chest back to normal and he started enjoying the faint heartbeats that made him close his eyes and relax, sighing in content when they managed to make him very comfortable. He couldn't help but snake his arm around Siwon’s stomach and hug him.

Siwon on the other side, had one hand awkwardly resting on the couch while the other one was barely pressing Kyuhyun’s body against his. However, as he watched Kyuhyun snuggle closer to him, a smile tugged on his lips and he tightened his hold on his back before resting the one on the couch on the boy’s arm, soothingly rubbing it.

SW: His skin is soft… like a baby skin…

Kyuhyun bit on the corner of his lips to wipe off his foolish grin which was caused by the feeling of Siwon’s big rough hand on his bare skin.

KH: Why is my heart beating like this?

 

...

 

“What are you doing?”

Kyuhyun was startled when Siwon suddenly gripped on his hand that was on its way to scratch his face.

“My nose is itchy”

Kyuhyun innocently exclaimed, pulling away a bit to questionably look at Siwon.

“You can’t scratch any part of your body when you’re craving”

Siwon stated, making Kyuhyun an eyebrow at the new information.

“How come?”

Kyuhyun adorably asked, making Siwon stare at him for a few seconds before answering “Because that’s how it is”

“Well, I’ve never heard of it before”

Kyuhyun argued before lifting his hand to his face again, only to get it slapped by Siwon.

“I don’t want my child to have an orange rice cake on his nose!”

Kyuhyun burst out laughing at Siwon’s words, imagining a Dukbokki on a little Siwon’s alike nose.

“I’m serious, Kyuhyun”

Kyuhyun tried to gather his laughter but he couldn't help it because a couple of seconds later he yet again burst out laughing until his stomach started to hurt.

“You will look so cute with a Dukbokki on your nose! Hahaha”

Siwon’s lips were starting to form a little pout because Kyuhyun was laughing at him while he was just making sure his child’s face would come out clean and safe.

SW: Your laughter… I’m glad to see you happy…

When Kyuhyun noticed Siwon’s expression, he took a deep breath and wiped the few teardrops on the corner of his eyes before seriously gazing at him.

“Sorry” He cleared his throat before adding “So what should I do now? My nose is still itchy”

Siwon sneaked one hand around Kyuhyun’s waist while the other one started gently rubbing his nose and carefully massaging the itchy part Kyuhyun was pointing at.

The proximity between their faces was too close and it made Kyuhyun hold his breath. Seeing Siwon up near was making his heartbeat race in a record time. His gaze followed each line of his handsome visage, noting how his eyebrows were knit in focus, down to his bow shaped lips that were pursed into a tiny pout that was very much seducing him to kiss it, and he couldn't help the wide smile that graced his face at his thoughts.

Siwon locked his gaze with Kyuhyun’s, curious to why the surrogate was smiling. Once their eyes met, Kyuhyun’s heart literally skipped a beat and his reaction didn't go unnoticed by Siwon who questionably looked at him.

“Are you okay?”

Kyuhyun frantically nodded his head before releasing himself from Siwon’s hold and standing up.

“I’ll go to sleep. It’s late”

Siwon was looking at him dumbfounded, not understanding the sudden outburst. Before he could say anything though, Kyuhyun slightly bowed and disappeared from the living room.

SW: What was all that about? Did I do something wrong?

 

KH: What the hell is wrong with you, Cho Kyuhyun? You’re not supposed to think that way about him. He’s the father of the child you’re carrying, that’s all. You can’t get too attached to him no matter how nice, caring, handsome, gorgeous, goddess like… Ugh!

Kyuhyun screamed into his pillow, his emotions were all mixed up and his heart was rapidly beating in his chest.

KH: Why are you doing this to me, Siwon… You’re not the person I thought you were when we first met…

 

When Kyuhyun could relax, he lied on his back with his hand gently rubbing his belly as a smile slowly stretched on his lips.

“You’re lucky you’re gonna have a great dad! Mine was great as well… but sadly he’s not around anymore…

Your daddy will take good care of you though, because he’s a really nice person”

A knock on his bedroom cut his little conversation and it made him nervous all of a sudden because he knew who it was.

He quickly tucked himself under the sheet, a faint come in before Siwon peeked his head from the door.

“Sleeping yet?”

Kyuhyun let out a fake grumble, pretending to be sleepy because he wanted to avoid talking about his earlier outburst with Siwon.

“I just wanted to remind you of our doctor appointment for tomorrow. I’ll pick you up at lunch, okay?”

Kyuhyun gazed at the man who wasn't even fully inside his bedroom, before he fluttered his eyes close and sarcastically muttered “I’m gonna see you in the morning anyway… smelling you I mean”

If only Kyuhyun’s eyes were open, he would’ve seen the wide smile plastered on Siwon’s face.

“Right, but you’re always grumpy in the morning”

The words made Kyuhyun pout but he didn't dare to open his eyes because he didn't think he could take looking into Siwon’s face and not have his heart doing all kinds of gymnastic flips and jumps.

“Goodnight, Kyuhyun”

Siwon wished before exiting the room, and only then that Kyuhyun slowly peeked from one eye to see if he was really gone before opening the other one and sighing deeply as he pressed a hand over his beating heart.

Stop it…

 

...

 

The next morning…

 

Kyuhyun didn't need Siwon to wake him up that day because a certain odor did. Being pregnant seemed to heighten his sense of smell and that was why as soon as he felt something nice tickling his nostrils, he immediately shut his eyes wide open and climbed off the bed to search for its source.

As he reached the kitchen, he inhaled deeply making a broad smile tug on his lips as he recognized what it was.

“Dukbokki!” He excitedly exclaimed, alarming the man who was back facing him as he was plating the food.

“Oh, you’re awake” Siwon found it weird for Kyuhyun to wake up this early on his own, but that idea was soon forgotten as he took note of Kyuhyun’s current look.

The boy’s hair was messy, his eyes were droopy, and his clothes were untidy. However, something got Siwon’s attention. The surrogate had actually gained some weight. He looked a bit chubbier now although to Siwon he was still looking very cute.

“Why are you looking at me that way?”

Apparently Siwon didn’t realize that he was spacing out with his gaze on Kyuhyun’s body and thus he slightly blushed and back faced the boy again.

“It’s not like you to wake up this early on your own” He tried to cover up what he actually had been thinking about because he couldn't take on another crying outburst from Kyuhyun if he thought Siwon called him fat.

SW: He’s cutely chubby actually…

“You kept your promise!” Kyuhyun clapped his hands and walked further to the kitchen, standing next to Siwon who was putting the Dukbokki on the plate.

He quickly stole a rice cake and put it in his mouth, humming in content when the spicy flavor reached his taste buds.

“It’s really delicious!” He happily stated, reaching for another piece but this time it wasn't for him. He led it to Siwon’s mouth, leaving the latter dumbfounded for a second before opening his mouth and accepting it, not missing on how his lips brushed against Kyuhyun’s fingers.

Siwon slowly munched on the food, eyes not leaving Kyuhyun who was anticipating his reaction.

“It’s good”

He slowly nodded his head, causing Kyuhyun to pick up another rice cake and give it to him, this time however, Siwon gripped on Kyuhyun’s wrist and led it himself, welcoming it in his mouth and unconsciously the pads of Kyuhyun’s fingers before letting go.

The boy was taken aback, feeling Siwon’s hot muscle wrapping around his fingers was overwhelming and he had to gulp the imaginary lump in his throat. When his hand was released, he shifted his gaze away to hide the blooming tint of red on his cheeks.

Siwon, who didn't even realize what he just did, simply ruffled Kyuhyun’s hair and turned around to exit the kitchen.

“Enjoy. I have to get dressed for the office”

It took Kyuhyun a few minutes to get his breathing back to normal before he started eating his breakfast, and by the time he almost finished, Siwon emerged from the room, all ready to leave, only one thing left.

He walked to Kyuhyun, standing in front of him and waiting for him to finish the last bite.

“I’ll see you at lunch, okay? I’ll call you beforehand so you can get ready”

Siwon informed again before leaning forward and letting Kyuhyun take a sniff at him. His morning sickness was getting less with each passing day, but when he asked Siwon to try and stop the ritual thing, he ended up throwing up again and that was why they were still doing it.

Kyuhyun closed his eyes and took in Siwon’s scent, not aware of the way the older was now looking at him or how his fingers were so itchy to touch him.

SW: Very poke-able…

...

 

When they arrived at the clinic, they were been ushered to Dr.Park’s office right away. It wasn't their first appointment but each time they have one, Kyuhyun would get nervous, afraid something might've happened to the baby.

That day, he was even more anxious because it was his first ultrasound. He was still in the tenth week and he read somewhere that ultrasounds were dangerous that early in the pregnancy, however, like Dr.Park told them, he was an inter and it was better to supervise the baby earlier.

 

“Dr.Park will be right here. He had a sudden surgery” Ryeowook informed with his sweet smile before he excused himself out of the room.

Sitting on the chairs across from Leeteuk’s desk, Kyuhyun nervously began tapping his foot on the floor, impatiently waiting for it to be over before it even started.

Siwon, who noticed the discomfort written on the surrogate’s face, soothingly ran his hand over his thigh for a few seconds, earning him a thankful smile from Kyuhyun before he leaned back on his chair again.

“What if something happened to the baby?” Kyuhyun asked a couple of minutes later, his tone full of worry.

“Nothing will happen. You’re not the first one to get an ultrasound at this stage of pregnancy”

Siwon assured him, but Kyuhyun still shook his head before stating his other fear.

“What if something already happened… what if the baby is n-“

Before he could finish, he was startled by Siwon’s hand pressing on his belly. He questionably gazed at him, realizing at that moment that it was the first time Siwon had ever touched his tummy.

“S-Siwon-ssi…”

“Close your eyes”

Kyuhyun was dumbfounded but he closed his eyes anyway. He could feel the hand moving from one side to the other and he couldn't deny the floating feeling it caused him.

“It’s inside you… you can feel it if something is wrong”

Siwon whispered, reaching for Kyuhyun’s hand and resting it on top of his.

“I can feel it” Kyuhyun took a deep breath in and out before slowly opening his eyes and lovingly gazing at the man before him.

“I don’t want to fail you” He lowly muttered, causing Siwon’s eyes to slightly expand in shock.

“You won’t. You’re doing a great job so far”

Kyuhyun smiled at the sincerity in Siwon’s tone, glancing down at his stomach and softly rubbing the hand resting on top of it.

“Thank you”

 

“Sorry to keep you waiting” Dr.Park stepped in to the room and Siwon immediately withdrew his hand, causing Kyuhyun to shortly pout at the disappearing warmth.

“Are you guys ready?”

Siwon looked at Kyuhyun as if asking him the same question, and when Kyuhyun smilingly nodded, he turned to the doctor and spoke for the both of them “We’re ready”

 

So Dr.Park led them to the examination table and asked Kyuhyun to lie down and lift his top. The surrogate's hands flew to the hem of his t-shirt, only to be intercepted by Siwon as he helped him roll the shirt up until it was below his chest. Kyuhyun looked over and smiled softly at him, yet again very impressed by how caring the man was.

"Kyuhyun-ssi, I'm going to spread this gel on you. I warn you, it’s a little cold"

The boy nodded, suddenly feeling troubled. What was he going to see? How would the baby look like? Would he be healthy?

Feeling the nervousness rising in his chest, Kyuhyun blindly reached beside him, gripping on Siwon’s hand as Dr.Park started rubbing the cream across his abdomen. Siwon didn't mind as he cupped it with both his hands and tightened his hold on it.

“Cold” Kyuhyun muttered and Siwon started drawing soothing circles on the back of his hand.

“Endure it for a little while” His words were somewhat rushed with excitement although he didn't show it, knowing how much Kyuhyun was nervous right then.

When Dr.Park finished configuring the machine, he turned to the pair with a soft smile "Here we go"

Kyuhyun squeezed Siwon’s hand tighter when the scanner was placed gently against his belly, running smoothly across his flesh.

"Won’t this hurt the baby?” Kyuhyun had to ask because he was very protective over the tiny human growing inside him, and Siwon really appreciated the love and care Kyuhyun was giving to his child.

"It won’t. Don’t worry" Dr.Park reassured and Siwon leaned forward toward the little screen, squinting his eyes as all he could see was black and gray.

“Where is it?”

Siwon impatiently asked, earning him a pinch on his hand by Kyuhyun, and when he questionably looked at him, he found the boy pouting at him.

“It’s not ‘it’

Siwon slightly shook his head before leaning down and pressing a kiss on Kyuhyun’s forehead, which sent a hot shiver through the boy's body.

“Sorry. Where is he… or she?”

"Almost there" The scanner was moved slightly north, a few centimeters to the right and, "There"

"Where?" They both asked at the same time and Kyuhyun anxiously craned his neck forward to see.

"There The doctor pointed at the center of the screen, amused by the looks on the pair’s faces before adding “It’s still tiny so we won’t be able to see him or her very clearly”

“But it-he’s there, right?” Siwon curiously asked, seeking for reassurance.

“See this tiny little oval white ball?” They both nod before Dr.Park added “Well, that’s your baby in the middle”

“He’s okay?” Kyuhyun concernedly asked and the doctor nodded with a smile.

"Yep, that’s your ten weeks baby" He then pressed a few buttons on the machine to freeze the picture before moving it closer.

Kyuhyun’s eyes got teary and a couple of drops were already falling down his face "Why am I crying?" He questioned, feeling silly all of a sudden for crying like this.

Dr. Park patted his arm gently as he exclaimed "It’s your motherly hormones"

Siwon brought Kyuhyun’s hand to his face and kissed his knuckles gently before whispering "Thank you”

Kyuhyun turned his watery gaze to Siwon who carefully wiped away the tears from his face, a smile tugging on his lips and that was when Kyuhyun’s tears suddenly froze and his breath hitched in his throat.

 

KH: That’s the first time I’ve ever seen him smile…

Here we go again… Tudum!

 

Kyuhyun’s face turned crimson red as he quickly smiled back at Siwon before shifting his eyes to stare at the screen.

KH: The baby inside of me is growing… It’s wonderful… But it’s Siwon’s baby… I'm just carrying it for him...

 

SW: I can't believe my child is growing inside of Kyuhyun. Seeing it like this makes it more real...

 

...

 

On the drive back home, Kyuhyun was silently sitting in the front seat, his sight glued on the ultrasound picture in his hand.

KH: I can’t get too attached…

“Are you okay?”

Siwon’s worried voice brought him back from his thoughts, and when he turned to face him, his heart ached over the possibility of losing his current life one of those days, but that was what he signed up for so all he could do was sweetly smile at Siwon while nodding.

“Everything will be okay” Siwon could tell something was wrong with Kyuhyun, and he felt the need to assure him. He reached for the boy's hand, entwining it with his before focusing back on the road.

 

When they reached the house parking lot, Kyuhyun stayed still in his seat, glancing at the hand holding the picture, then at the other one that Siwon was holding earlier, and he couldn't help but wonder…

“Will it?”

Siwon confusedly looked at him “What?”

“Will everything really be okay?”

Siwon could sense the worry in Kyuhyun’s tone and he really wanted to know what he was thinking about at that moment. However, knowing he couldn't just make Kyuhyun open up to him that easily, he gently tugged a few hair strands behind his ear before cupping his hand once again and determinedly saying “It will”

 

KH: I'm gonna have to leave after the baby is born... I don't see how it will be okay, Siwon-ssi...

 

SW: No matter what, I'll make sure everything turns out alright... I know you're scared of what's coming after but... I'm not ready to let you leave my life yet... There's something about you Kyuhyun that I still can't figure out...

 

- Tbc -

 


(This is an unexpected update since I just started writing this afternoon
and my mood was good enough to finish this by tonight XD)

So? They're both slowly opening up and letting their hearts drive them! 

Btw, the scratching and craving thing? It does happen :D