Chapter 9

The "i" Word

“Kim Ye Sung? I need you to find a person. And you know the consequences if you don’t. You’ll never step foot in Korea or Asia ever again.”



Jaejoong sighed and prayed for the return of his sister. She was the key to his happiness. Pulling out his phone once again, he dialed Tae Hee’s number.

“Hello?” she answered cautiously.

“Tae Hee?”

“Jaejoong? You again?” She attempted to sound annoyed, as if she wasn’t ecstatic that he had phoned. After all, she still did hate him---hardly.

“Geez. Somebody’s grouchy. Hey! Where are you? Let’s go out!”

“No.”

About to yell at her, he reminded himself. You’ve only got one week. Use the time wisely. “Why not?”

“Because you’re annoying.” 

“I AM NOT!” he protested. “Well too bad. We’re going out, whether you like it or not.”

“Psh. Like you even know where I am.” She smirked. He’d never find her.

“You’re at the library.”

She frowned. “How’d you know?”

“I can hear the librarian telling you to shut up.” He grinned.

She stifled a chuckle and hung up.

“Well... I guess it’s to the library!” he said aloud as he got into his foreign sports car.



“Where are we going anyway?” she questioned eagerly.

“You’ll see.”



Moments later, he parked his car and led her out to the beach. The ocean waves lapped at their feet. 

“Whoa.”

He smiled. “This is my hiding spot. Whenever I feel crappy because of all the stress and pressure, I come here.”

“Mine’s the library.”

“But that’s so common. You’re basically sharing it with everybody. This place... it’s all mine. But now, I want to share it with you...”

She murmured softly. “I’ve always wanted my first kiss to be at a beach with the sun setting overhead...”

Jaejoong leaned in and kissed her on the lips.

Tae Hee closed her eyes, obviously in heaven. 


Breaking out of her spell, she pushed him away. All detestation that had vanished resurfaced. “WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU?! YOU JUST STOLE MY FIRST KISS!”

“You liked it, didn’t you?”

She bit her lip and refused to answer.

He nudged her. “You did!”

Tae Hee snapped back. “NO I DIDN’T!

“Want more?” he asked mischievously. 

He knew she was his now. “NO!” 

She began to stalk off. Jaejoong chased after her. 

“OKAY! OKAY! I was just joking, TAE HEE! C’mon, come back!” he pleaded her, grabbing onto her arm and pulling her into his embrace.


“Why are you suddenly so... I don’t know what’s the word.”

“...” Jaejoong was silent.

“I guess, I don’t know, happy? I mean, yeah, you were evil the first two days, but after that, you’ve always been upbeat?...”

“Believe me, I’m not bubbly and cheerful.”

“Yes you are.”

“You don’t know me.”

“Well, then tell me more about you.”


“Tell you the truth. I’ve always been a quiet, “mysterious” fellow. Reserved. I think the only reason why I’ve been able to feel so happy was because... I think I’ve---” he cut himself off. 

How could he do this to her? If he told her, then what would happen to her when he left? Guilt washed over him. No more toying with girls. It seemed vengeance was not meant for him. His innocent expression was replaced with a cold one. 

“I actually don’t know. I’m leaving.’

Tae Hee, most likely swooning from the kiss, shook her head, surprised. “You’re just...leaving? After you stole my first kiss?”

Without turning his head, he waved goodbye. “YEP!”

What was with him?



He sat in his car, feeling extremely guilty. He had ditched her once again. Jaejoong knew he was thinking irrationally. He laughed. She’d probably become sick again. 12:04 am. He yawned. Six more days. The clocks were ticking.


*****


One. One more day until the search ended. One more days until he’d have to meet Jang Ri In, again. One more day until he’d have to leave Tae Hee.

He had skipped school entirely, as a way to avoid contact with her, but he still couldn’t stop thinking about her. His phone rang, breaking his thoughts.

“Hello?”

“Son? Don’t forget, you’ve got a function tonight. And...”

“Yeah of course, as future CEO, I must attend. Blah blah blah. And?”

“Ye Sung...”

He became alert. Ye Sung was their family’s private investigator. Any sentence with him in it was always important. “What about Ye Sung?”

“He found your sister.”

Although he was way ecstatic, he was shocked. Who knew Ye Sung could be so capable of tracking someone down? “Really? Does that mean... we can call off the engagement?”

“Yes. You’ll meet her tonight, at the function. So invite that commoner girl of yours and it’ll be a family reunion.”

He rolled his eyes. “When I bring my girlfriend, you better not be calling her commoner girl in front of her.”

“Oh, we won’t, we won’t, “ his father assured him. 


*****

He couldn’t wait. He truly was jumping with joy. His life was slowly falling back into place. “Hello? Tae Hee?” 

“Jaejoong? Is that you? Where were you?” Her voice was full of concern.

He smiled. “You’ve got another function to go to tonight, girlfriend.”

Tae Hee huffed. “SINCE WHEN WERE WE OFFICIAL?”

“I think about ten days ago.”

“Oh shut up, Jaejoong oppa.”

“Hey, I’m kind of busy right now... so Yoochun hyung will bring you shopping. I trust his, I mean, your taste. So I’ll pick you up at your house at 7, ok?”

She frowned. “About that...Jaejoong.”

“Huh?”

“I’m kind of staying at...” she hesitated. “I ran away from home and I’m staying at Seung Yeon’s house.” 

“Not a problem. I’ll pick you up there.”

Just as she hoped, Jaejoong was understanding and didn’t interrogate her anymore.


*****

Seung Yeon sighed dreamily. “You’re such a lucky .”

Tae Hee smiled.

“So, Tae Hee unni, did you ask Yoochun for me yet?” Younha asked excitedly.

“Oh...about him... I sort of forgot.” Of course she forgot. She just couldn’t see Younha and Yoochun together. 

“Of course she forgot, Younha.” Sung Hee interjected. “She was too busy thinking about her boyfriend. ^^”

Tae Hee blushed. 

They cooed at her.


“Oh shut up you three.”


*****

She stared at herself in the mirror. Falling in love with the sleeveless dress, she glanced at the price tag and gasped. No way was she buying this.

Yoochun’s voice spoke outside the fitting room. “You done yet? How is it?”

“I hate it,” she mumbled unhappily.

“Oh c’mon. Show me!” he pleaded.

She stepped out of the room. Yoochun wheezed. He was having a nose bleed. 

Hurriedly, she said, “Before you say, OH! It’s so pretty! Let’s buy it!, I want to say: NO. Let’s find another dress.”

“Too bad. This is just... breathtaking. You’ve GOT to get it.”

“I said NO.”

“And I said YES.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

“No.”

“Yes. No. I don’t care! If you two lovebirds are going to buy anything, then please do. Otherwise, you are disrupting our other clients, so please leave,” a saleswoman reprimanded them, breaking their little fight. 

Before Tae Hee could protest, Yoochun said, “Yes. Please wrap this up.” He pointed to the dress. There went $796, just on the stupid dress. And there was so much more to buy too. 

She shook her head, so much money wasted on functions.


*****

“Beautiful, just beautiful,” Seung Yeon commented as she helped Tae Hee into the dress.

Tae Hee flushed. “Do you think he’ll like it?”

“Well what idiot wouldn’t? I mean, I’d turn lesbian for you.”

She eyed Seung Yeon warily. “Uh...ew? Have you been drinking? You know, drinking’s not really good for you. I should know.”

Her friend beamed. “Course not, Tae Hee unni!”

The doorbell rang. 

She continued, “Oh look! There’s your boyfriend! And hopefully, he won’t have a nosebleed like Yoochun did. LOL.”



Tae Hee ran down the stairs and opened the door. Her excited smile fell. “Hello? May I help you?” He wasn’t Jaejoong. How disappointing.

“Hello, Miss Kim Tae Hee?”

“Er... uh... yeah?”

“I’m Si Won, your driver. Mr. Kim sent me.”

“What about Jaejoong?”

“Yes. Yes. I’m bringing you. Now let’s get going.” He led her to the limo.

She didn’t feel right. Jaejoong had told her specifically that he would pick her up, and he never broke his promises. And now? Some total stranger, supposedly her new chauffer, was bringing her. WTHCK?


*****

Jaejoong had an unsettling feeling as he waited outside the entrance for Tae Hee. He checked his watch, not believing she was already 46 minutes late. Should he go look for her? Something had sounded wrong when she called.



*flashback*

His phone rang and he hastily flipped it open. “Hello? Tae Hee?”

“Jaejoong oppa? Um---“ she paused as if she didn’t know what to say next. “Don’t come pick me up. I mean, I’ll be there soon don’t come looking for me.”

His eyebrows arched in suspicion. Why did she sound so nervous? Since when was the Tae Hee he knew NERVOUS?

“Tae Hee? Are you---“

She cut him off. “Enjoy the function and---“

She hung up on him. Perhaps unintentionally? Or was it on purpose?


*end flashback*


Where in the world was she? She should have been here a while ago. For once, he was worried for a girl. She better be okay.

Mr. Kim touched his son’s shoulder, interrupting his thoughts. “Son? Come on in. You’ll catch a cold out here.”

“But I can’t. Tae Hee still isn’t here.”

“Your commoner girlfriend?”

He nodded.

“She can wait, but our guests can’t. Now come on,” Mr. Kim replied and began to head back into the building.

Unwillingly, Jaejoong followed him. 


Where was she? 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Please Comment & Subscribe :)