Chapter 13

The "i" Word

Jaejoong was disgusted; he felt like puking.

She watched him, waiting for the answer. “Well?”

He turned to Tae Hee’s direction. She and her mother had already left. Geez, he rolled his eyes. She just had to leave him in the most difficult positions. “I don’t know. Go away.”

He expected her to go away. “No,” she declared defiantly. “Not until you give me an answer.”

“I said GO AWAY YOU B*TCH! You’re supposed to be one of Tae Hee’s best friends too! So much for even a friend.” He raised his hand, ready to strike her face.

Sung Hee grasped his hand before it could even contact her face. She stared right into his eyes, daring him to fight back. “I’ll be waiting for the answer.” She threw his hand down and stalked off.



Behind the bridge, Tae Hee and her mother watched the whole scene. She was in disbelief.

“How could she? Of all people? I mean, I knew she had the hots for him, but...he’s my...”

“Brother, my daughter. He’s your brother,” Mrs. Kim interjected. “I know it hurts you, but you have to let go.”

“No...” Tae Hee mumbled.

“Tae Hee, honey, you HAVE to let go. If you don’t, you know what that means? It’s a nasty word called .”

Only the ocean waves crashing upon the sand could be heard.

“?”

“Yes, . It’ll not only hurt you even more, but it’ll bring a bad title upon your family and their company. THE FUTURE CEO OF KPC IN LOVE WITH HIS SISTER. Imagine how that will look in the headlines.”


Tae Hee stared at the ground and contemplated her mother’s words. She then dug into her purse and grabbed her phone out, punching in several numbers. She raised the cell phone to her ear. “Jaejoong.”

She saw him fumble for his cell. “HELLO? TAE HEE! WHERE ARE YOU?”

“Jaejoong. Say yes to her.”

“What?”

“Say yes, to Sung Hee.” Before he could respond, she hung up.

She saw him study his phone and throw it into the ocean. She thought she saw the phone sizzle as it plunged into the water. His method of releasing his anger, she guessed.

How she couldn’t wait until Monday (which was tomorrow) --- school.


*****

Jaejoong studied Tae Hee and her posse as he sat in the cafeteria. One, two, three, four. Yes, the usual amount of girls.

“Jaejoong hyung. How come Tae Hee sitting with us today?” Changmin asked lightly. He rubbed his stomach as he chomped on a Double Double Cheeseburger.

“Hmph,” he responded blankly.

Yunho waved his hand before Jaejoong’s blank stare. “Yoohoo, Jaejoong? You there?”

Jaejoong moved his head, his eyes still fixed on Tae Hee.

“Lemme try,” Junsu declared. He walked over and shook his mesmerized friend roughly. “Did it work?”

Yoochun shook his head. “OMG, Jaejoong, just talk to her.”

Jaejoong’s eyes suddenly flared with anger.


*****


“Hey Tae Hee,” a stranger with a familiar voice approached her.

She turned her head in his direction, sensing that she knew him. “Do I know you?”

“Jiwoon and the night light?”

“Oh...JiWoon...Hey.” She felt shy.

Younha was eying him as she whispered to Sung Hee. “Gosh, if I wasn’t waiting for Yoochun to respond, I’d totally date him.”

Sung Hee rolled her eyes, but you could tell she was also studying his body. “Oh shut up, Younha. You’re supposed to be loyal.”

Tae Hee felt her cheeks burn. Sung Hee talking about loyalty. WHAT BS! Seung Yeon turned to her, “Tae Hee? You okay?”

“Oh yeah. I’m fine.”

Stirring up his courage, Jiwoon asked, “Um...Tae Hee? I think I owe you an explanation...about... you know. I’ll meet you tonight at 7 at the movies.”

She almost choked on the apple she was chewing.

Before she could reply, Seung Yeon added, “Um... Jiwoon, that’s your name, right?” He nodded. “I hope you realize that our dear Tae Hee is taken by Kim Jaejoong. So if you want to go on a date with her, you better wait until they’re over---which will be like never.” Aww, good old Seung Yeon standing up for her...if only she knew.

After a bit of pondering, Tae Hee spoke up. “Okay Jiwoon. I’ll meet you tonight?”

His face lit up. “I’ll pick you up!” He ran off before she could change her mind.

Seung Yeon frowned. “What’s wrong with you? Don’t you realize you’re still dating Jaejoong?”

Younha teased. “Ooooo, somebody’s not loyal! But that’s okay. Jiwoon’s hot.”

“Who’s not being loyal?” Everybody jumped at the sound of Jaejoong’s voice.

Sung Hee gazed at him dreamily. Tae Hee felt like ripping out her hair.

He stared at his sister who was calmly peeling an orange. Suddenly, his voice boomed. “OKAY. LET’S MAKE THIS OFFICIAL.” She continued peeling the orange---this time more anxiously. “I’M GOING OUT WITH SUNG HEE.” She squeezed the fruit, the acidic juice squirting into her eyes. She rubbed at them.

Blindly, Tae Hee stood up and said, “Excuse me.” Since Seung Yeon was sitting there in shock, Younha decided to follow her to the restroom.

As they left, Seung Yeon returned to her usual expression, but it soon changed. Her eyes narrowed down upon a smiling Sung Hee. How could she have done that to Tae Hee? Of all people. “Sung Hee,” she declared coldly. “You are no longer one of us.”

“Hmph. Like I care.” She flipped her hair as she stood up and walked off, hand in hand with Kim Jaejoong.



Younha handed her friend a tissue and patted her back. “Tae Hee unni, don’t cry.”

She sniffled and rubbed her irritated eyes. “Oh, I’m not. It was just some orange juice that got in my eyes.” It wasn’t all false. In fact, it was half the truth.

“Oh come on. One of your best friends just backstabbed you; she stole your boyfriend, right under you nose. And you’re okay with that?”

Tae Hee bit her lip, fighting back the tears. “It’s complicated, Younha. It’s so complicated. And now I can’t extricate myself from the tangles.”

“Then don’t fight it. Accept it. It’s the only way out.”

“I’m trying.” She began sobbing.



Seung Yeon ran after the couple. “WAIT!”

They stopped and turned. Sung Hee rolled her eyes. “What?”

She replied, “Tae Hee forgot to give you something. So I’m going to give it to you right now.”

Before Sung Hee could say, “Oh really? Is that so?”, Seung Yeon outstretched her hand and slapped her hard. “There. That’s what you get for being a b*tch.”

She stomped off, leaving an outraged Sung Hee and an apathetic Jaejoong.


*****

Jaejoong’s buddies watched all the drama from their lunch table.

“He blew it.” Yoochun shook his head in disapproval.

“She was such a great girl, especially when it came down to food... she chose the most delectable dishes,” Changmin commented. “And smart too!”

“Great dancer, gone to waste,” Yunho frowned.

Feeling left out, Junsu added, “And she’s so cute too!”

Normally, whenever Junsu was being stupid, they’d laugh at him, but today, they didn’t feel like it---at all.

“...I think I’m going to miss her...” Junsu said somberly.


“We’ll see about that,” Yoochun replied as he left the lunch table, heading towards the girls’ restroom (where Tae Hee was).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thansk for reading :)