Chapter 22

The "i" Word

The door tinkled as Jaejoong strolled in.

The florist stopped arranging the bouquet of flowers as she looked up. “May I help you?” She wiped her hands on an apron.

“Er... Tae Hee sent me here,” he responded gradually.

“Oh! So you’re the one.” She studied him. “Poor girl,” she said to herself, shaking her head dolefully. “Let me go get it.” She left the room, leaving Jaejoong alone.

He looked around, holding a flower in his hand.

The florist came back. “Like those flowers? Forget-me-nots. True love, hope, remembrance, memories. They were her favorite because she believed in them.”


“Oh...” He put them back gingerly, careful not to snap the neck. He wanted to believe in them too.

“Ok, now down to business.” She held out a bouquet of striped carnations (was that even possible?) “These are for you. And this too.” She handed him an envelope.

“Err... thanks...” he said uncertainly. He began walking towards the shop exit as he read the letter.



Jaejoong oppa,

Forget our memories. I hope you understand.

Tae Hee



He hesitated as his hands contacted the door handle. Turning back to the florist, he asked, “What does it mean?”

“Huh?”

“The carnations...”

She smiled. He was a pretty boy with brains. “Carnations in general mean divine love. However, striped carnations, which you have, mean refusal. In other words, sorry, I can’t be with you. Guess today isn’t your day, kiddo.”

He was blatantly disappointed, who wouldn’t be? Jaejoong’s cell phone sounded. His pupils dilated in disbelief as he glanced at the glowing screen. No way.



*****


Yunho ran about the airport, hand running through his hair in uncertainty. He knew he was too late, yet he continued searching for her. Why couldn’t she be easier to find, like in the dramas where the guy would look for the girl right before she left/committed suicide and hug her and say, “Stay with me.” Of course, he wasn’t the lead (that was Jaejoong), but why couldn’t she just stay?


*flashback*

He flipped his phone open furiously; who dared interrupt his sleep at one in the morning? “Talk.”

“Yunho...it’s me, Tae Hee.”

The fury subsided. “Hm?”

“After a lot of pondering, I’ve decided that you’re the only one I can confront. I mean, I can’t go to any of my girl friends ‘cause they would go crazy and if I told any of the other guys, they’d tell the girls. Yeah, I know I’m ranting.”

“...?”

“Maybe I’m a coward, I probably am... but can you tell everybody that I’m going? And there’s no point in stopping me because I’m already on the plane.”

She left him speechless. “Tae Hee... I thought you were better than this. You used to be so free-spirited, so blithe and carefree...and now, you’re a weakling, just like all the other girls.”

“Just tell everybody I’m sorry, okay?”

“Sorry isn’t going to do anything.”

And then her voice disappeared from the other line.


*end flashback*




Ah Tae Hee, why couldn’t you have waited a couple more minutes?



*****


He sipped his cappuccino gradually. “What’s up.”

Sung Hee bit her lip and remained silent. She fiddled with her drink.

“Is it about the proposal?” Jaejoong guessed lightly.

She nodded hesitantly. “I never gave you an answer.”

“So it’s a no?”

“No. I mean, yes. I mean, I’m sorry.”

Her apology had taken him aback; he had almost spat out his beverage. “What?”

She tightly clenched the napkin in her hand and looked at her feet. “Jaejoong, I’m really sorry for all the trouble I’ve caused you...”

He opened his mouth to speak, but she continued with a sigh. “I know, I know. I know I was being a total b*tch what with all that unnecessary attitude. I know I got on a lot of people’s nerves and hate lists---probably even yours. And I’m sorry. It’s just that...”


“...?”

“It’s just that some people aren’t as fortunate as you. Not everybody inherits a mansion at the age of two. Not everybody’s as lucky as you are. And you haven’t realized that, have you? Sure, after you met Tae Hee, you changed...you learned how to love. But even then, you were still demanding. 

Her words stung him...because they were candid. “You’ve always gotten what you wanted. Yoochun, Changmin, Yunho, Junsu... them too. But us four, Tae Hee, Younha, Seung Yeon... we aren’t like you guys. Whatever we wanted, we had to work for it. And it was hardest for me because they could go use their brains and work as secretaries or something. But me? I didn’t have the brains; I was always in their shadows. Even at home, I’d always be compared to them. Why couldn’t you be smarter? Why couldn’t you be better? 

Fat teardrops rolled down her cheeks. “So when I met you...you were like America, a land of opportunities. You had come at the perfect time; Appa was getting a costly surgery and we didn’t have the money. Once you gave me hope, the dream of wealth possessed me. But now, looking back, I’m as selfish as you. In the race for money, I lost all my friends in the process.”

“...Sung Hee...” He placed his hands on hers. She pulled them away.

“But you don’t know how it feels. Everybody has always loved you. Me included. At first, when I attempted to get closer to you, it was because I needed the money. I know the reason is really crappy, but it’s the truth. But as I got to know you, I fell in love with the person you were. Even though I was at fault, I was the b*tchy one, you still protected me. For once, I felt that I could depend on the guy in the relationship.” 

She paused and looked at him shamefully. “So I’m sorry. If you want to blow off the engagement...”

“Sung Hee. I proposed to you, didn’t I? And when Kim Jaejoong declares something, it is fact. You’re not the only one at fault; I was stupid too. So, let’s start afresh, okay? This way, we’ll both get an equal chance.” 

He extended his hand. 

Tae Hee had left with blessings for their marriage. She had moved on. 

And he should too. 

Besides, that little tirade Sung Hee had gone on seemed to have touched his heart and released something within it. A warm, fuzzy feeling that made him want to protect her vulnerability. It had been different with Tae Hee; he never did have that feeling because she had been so independent. But either way, they [the feelings] had both felt like the first stages of love.

She took his hand. Even after confessing to him of her selfish deeds, she still felt guilty. She was still a bad seed. 


“C’mon!” Jaejoong stood up from his seat. “Let’s go.” He threw a few bills onto the table.

“Where?”

“To the beach!”



Moments later, he parked his car and led her out to the beach. The ocean waves lapped at their feet. “Whoa.”

He smirked. “This is my hiding spot. Whenever I feel crappy because of all the stress and pressure, I come here.”

“This was where I first spoke to you, wasn’t it?”

He nodded. “I’ve only shown it to one other girl.”

“Tae Hee, right?” She attempted to smile, trying to conceal the annoyance within. Why was it always Tae Hee?

“You know, you shouldn’t really hate her. She’s the one who told me to give you a chance. And besides, she’s no threat to you anyway. She’s already gone.” Jaejoong’s face darkened.


“In your heart too?”

He took a deep breath. “Maybe.”

“Oh...”

Only the waves crashing upon the shores could be heard.

“Will you sing Forget our Memories for me?” he asked out of the blue.

“Er...okay...? But I promise you, it’ll sound quite awkward.”

They laughed and watched the sun set, arms around each other.


*****


As Tae Hee continued to doze on the plane, she dreamt of the “Forget Our Memories Dream” [refer to Ch. 11]---but this time, she wasn’t the one singing.