Chapter 17

The "i" Word

Jaejoong danced to the beat as he sipped his soda. Good old trance music was back. After meeting Tae Hee, he had never returned to the clubs, never listened to his favorite songs.

“JAEJOONG OPPA!” a female voice called out from within the crowd. Heads turned as they eyed the beauty with interest.

He almost choked on his drink when he saw her. “Seul Gi? Why are you here? I thought you were in America!” She had been a good childhood friend of his, always listening to his childish complaints and concerns without ever being annoyed. Now, thinking back, if she hadn’t left for America, their relationship could’ve gone somewhere---but now, she was betrothed to Yunho.

“Oh yeah, I was, but Appa let me come back. I mean, it’s a JAEJOONG-HOSTED-PARTY, and those are so rare! So, I had to get on our jet and return to Korea,” she explained happily.

“Oh I’m so flattered,” he laughed. “Actually, Seul Gi, it’s a Jaejoong-Tae Hee-Hosted-Party, but Tae Hee’s not exactly here, yet.”

She raised her eyebrow suspiciously and . “Ooo, so who’s this Tae Hee? Is she the girl after Jang Ri In? Yunho was telling me about her. She seems quite interesting from what he said. I mean, it’s not everyday when all FIVE of you all approve of a girl.”

He smiled at her. “You’ll see.”

“Oh look! Yunho oppa!” she exclaimed happily, pointing at him.

“Well, enjoy yourself. I’ve got more people to talk to, so I’ll see you around.” He walked off, thankful that Yunho had arrived and interrupted their conversation. He wasn’t ready to tell everybody yet. He still needed Tae Hee to come out of hiding.



Tae Hee hummed to one of Shin Hyesung’s ballads as she lay in bed. No way was she going downstairs.

“Hey, Tae Hee?” some guy asked from outside her room.

She smirked. Of course she had expected it. “No.”

He faltered, “Uh... how do you even know what I’m gonna ask?”

“You’re going to say ‘Jaejoong wants you down there pronto’. So I’ll respond, No.”

“Actually, no. Somebody told me to ask you, but you know, I don’t follow everybody’s orders. So Tae Hee, why are you still up here anyway?”

“Because downstairs .”

“Oh come on, you don’t mean it... Hey, you mind opening the door?”

Unwillingly, she slowly made her way across the room and unlocked the door.

“OMG. IT’S YOU!” She pointed at him in surprise.

He smiled back at her.



Seung Yeon poked Jaejoong in the stomach. “Hey, where’s Tae Hee?”

He shrugged. “I don’t know.”

“Hello, you’re her BOYFRIEND---AND she’s stayed over at your house. Oh wait, let me correct myself, EX-BOYFRIEND. I don’t even know why she’s still talking to you.” She flipped her hair angrily and continued to search for her friend.

Jaejoong watched somberly as she stalked off. She was right; he was the ex-boyfriend. As an ex-boyfriend, he was supposed to no longer “care” for the girl anymore---it was in every “HOW TO BE A GUY” handbook.



“AH! OPPA!!” she screamed and hugged him tightly.

“Tae Hee, it’s been a long time, neh?”

“OH! I MISSED YOU, LEE TEUK OPPA!”

Park Lee Teuk. He had been her friend since they were young, but recently, he had left Korea to study abroad. Apparently, Korea’s medical schools weren’t “good enough”. Psh, he was so wrong. Despite their different views on Korean schools, they’d always gotten along very well.

Tae Hee looked up. “Hm, why are you here anyway?”

“Summer break,” he answered. “So I decided to come home and visit my family, Auntie Kim, and you---but when I got to your house, you weren’t there. But, being the awesome auntie she is, she told me I could reach you here.”

“Aww... I feel so special.”

“So, this Jaejoong kid, who is he?”

Who WAS Jaejoong? A lover? An ex-lover? A brother? A liar? A cheater?...

A stranger?


Tae Hee was silent. “Let’s go downstairs now.”



“JAEJOONG!” Sung Hee cried out, jumping on him from behind. “Have you been a good kid while I was gone?” she joked.

Jaejoong choked on his drink---again. “Oh sure.”

“JAEJOONG!”

He rolled his eyes. Who could it be this time? He turned around and choked---for the third time. Jang Ri In.

“Hey Jaejoong,” she smiled seductively. “Like my swimsuit?”

“Ri In.” He looked at her and coughed out a “Yea.”

“Who’s this?” Sung Hee asked suspiciously.

“And who’s this?” Ri In questioned with equal wariness.

Sung Hee retorted, “I ASKED YOU FIRST.”

“TOO BAD,” Ri In snapped, “YOU ANSWER FIRST.”

“YOU.”

“YOU.”

“YOU."

“YOU.”

“YOU.”

“YOU.”

Jaejoong interrupted quietly, “Just let me introduce you guys.” He pointed to Sung Hee. “Kim Sung Hee, classmate at Hanan High School.” He gestured at Ri In. “Jang Ri In, classmate at Seoul High School.”

“Don’t forget to add GIRLFRIEND,” Sung Hee reminded him. “So there.”

“Ha! Girlfriend, huh?” Ri In scoffed. “That’s nothing compared to FIANCEE.” She flipped her hair proudly and dusted off Sung Hee’s shoulder. “So, little girl, who’s the winner now?”

“The sister,” Tae Hee said from the staircase.


Everybody was silent. The sister? Since when did Jaejoong have a sister? Was SHE the sister? Who was she?
Her heart pounded as she continued walking down the spiral staircase. How could she have blurted it out so quickly, so blithely---without thinking of the consequences. And now everybody knew...because of her stupidity.

“YAH! JAEJOONG! What do you mean THE SISTER?” Ri In shouted angrily. That girl wasn’t supposed to be his sister. She just ruined all her plans, that b*tch.

He smirked. “Yes, this is Kim Tae Hee, my sister... and also future CEO of KPC. As of tonight, I will formally withdraw from the company and achieve my own dream.”

Lee Teuk, who had been following Tae Hee, was surprised. “...Tae Hee? Does that mean... ”

She turned to face him. “Huh?”

“You won’t be...going to med school... with me... anymore, eh?”

“Guess not. What about it?” She shrugged.

“Oh...nothing...just nothing...” he said, disappointed.


How could you have forgotten, Tae Hee?