Chapter 25

The "i" Word

Tae Hee beamed at her. “More words of wisdom?”

Not now, not when she’s so happy. “Of course,” Seul Gi lied. “Saying I love you is a major decision in one's life. Those words should be kept in your heart until you're ready to commit, to fight for that feeling and to stand by those words forever. And... what’s meant to be will always find a way. Trisha Yearwood.”

“Uh... ok. What’s that supposed to mean?”

“If you two were meant to be...you won’t let death get in the way.”

“Who? What?”

“Nothing,” she mumbled. “Oh look! It’s time for me to go! Bye! And call me if you need anything!” She tipped the waitress as she walked out of the coffee shop.

“What was all that about?”



*


“I’m sorry, Yunho, I really am.”

“You didn’t tell her...did you?”

“She was HAPPY. How could I tell her that Jaejoong... Jaejoong... you know.”

“JUST TELL HER. Every second she’s over there, Jaejoong’s chances of recovery are diminishing.”

“But...”

“Seul Gi, listen. You and I, and the rest of the guys, we’ve all grown up together with Jaejoong. Do you really want to see him...”

“No... but I don’t want to see Tae Hee...”

“Think about it this way. Tae Hee will be heartbroken if Jaejoong dies. She’s the only cure we have currently. She’s our only hope. You know that.”



*


Tae Hee unlocked the front door and trudged into the unlit apartment.

“Where’d you go?” Lee Teuk asked, munching on Cheerios as he flipped through the channels of the T.V.

“I met up with a friend.”

“Oh.” He looked at her sorrowfully. “I love you, Tae Hee.”

“I...”


Saying I love you is a major decision in one's life. Those words should be kept in your heart until you're ready to commit, to fight for that feeling and to stand by those words forever.


“I’m sorry Teukie oppa.”

“I knew it,” he replied quietly. “I pushed you too far. I knew you didn’t love me anymore, but I still persisted. I think I’m the one who should be sorry.”

“No, oppa, I still love you... It’s just that... it’s just that...”

“It’s just that you don’t love me the way that I do,” he interjected.

“... I guess you could say that.”

“Mianhae, Tae Hee.”



Silence.



“So... oppa... are we okay now?”

Confusion followed.

And then, Lee Teuk was on top of her, pinning her arms down on the floor.


But she was calm.


“WHY AREN’T YOU SCREAMING? WHY AREN’T YOU CRYING? WHY AREN’T YOU DOING ANYTHING? I’M ABOUT TO YOU!” he shouted angrily.

She replied quietly, “Because you aren’t going to. You won’t.”

“Says who?!”

“Because you’re my oppa.”

The grip on her arms grew tighter, and then they released. The body weight upon her disappeared. He trudged over to his bedroom and slammed the door.


Tae Hee lay on the carpet floor. Her previous calm aplomb had dissipated. And she was left in tears.



*


He slammed his head on the wall. “Why do you do this to me, Tae Hee?”

It had always been like this. He was always so close, oh so close. But she always weakened him and brought him down.


*flashback*

The doorbell rang and Lee Teuk rushed to open it. “TAE HEE!” He flung the door open. This was the first time she came over to his house on her own freewill. But the smile soon disappeared. “...Tae Hee? You okay?”

She walked into his arms. “Nooooo,” she wailed. Sniffling, she continued, “Jung Su dumped me. He said I was too nerdy for him.”

He patted her on the back. “It’ll be okay, Tae Hee. He wasn’t worthy anyways,” he soothed.

“NOBODY LOVES ME ANYMORE!” she cried, wetting his shoulder.

But I do, he thought.

“He was my motivation to do better in life. Umma never cared because I was always the best in her eyes. But Jung Su... Jung Su...” She broke down once again.

“I love you, Tae Hee.”

She looked at him with her teary eyes and smiled. “Thanks, Lee Teuk. Even though I know you don’t mean it, at least I know I have a friend like you.”

But... I really do, he thought.


*end flashback*



They were fourteen back then. Even with all the rumors at school about them being an item, Tae Hee never viewed him as more than a friend. After this incident, he never tried to let her know of his feelings again. One rejection was good enough.


The doorbell rang. Déjà vu. He opened his bedroom door and stepped into the hallway. Tae Hee opened the door, in tears, revealing some Korean girl.

“Ready to go, Tae Hee?”

She nodded, pulling her luggage with her. As the door closed, she looked back once more, and their eyes locked.

“Sorry,” they [eyes] said.

And she was gone.


*****


“Seul Gi... I feel bad... I just left like that...”

“Oh well... You shouldn’t feel bad, considering what he did.”

Seul Gi turned the steering wheel as they entered the freeway.

As she observed her surroundings, panic arouse. “Wait...Seul Gi, where are we going?”