Chapter 12

The "i" Word

They both glared at Ye Sung. He’d just ruined a perfect Kodak moment.

“Jaejoong... you can’t kiss her... because she’s your sister.”

Because she’s your sister. Those words were incessantly repeated in Jaejoong’s head until it finally registered. He looked down at his feet. Just a few days ago, he had hoped to find his sister because she was the key to his happiness.


But now... he wished it had never happened. He wished his father had never told him about his sister. He wished he hadn’t sent Yesung on a treasure hunt for his sister. Because now he knew, the treasure was Tae Hee.

He blamed it all on his parents and the stupid business politics. If they hadn’t found her, he would have been CEO, but at least he would be with the one he loved. And now they found her. He wouldn’t have to become CEO, he could follow his dream: to become a singer. But now, he’d be alone.

“I’m his WHAT?”

She couldn’t believe it. Just a few days ago, she had been told that her real family had dumped her because they didn’t love her. But she could still handle the fact, she was with Jaejoong, her love. And now, they were telling her that the one who abandoned her was the one she loved? How was this fair?

“Sister,” Ye Sung answered.

Jaejoong grabbed Ye Sung’s collar and growled, “You better be lying.”

He coughed, having difficulty breathing. “I’m not, Jaejoong.”

Looking at Tae Hee, he motioned for his sister’s hand. “C’mon, sis. Let’s go home,” he declared with a hint of anger in his voice.

She gazed down at her feet as Jaejoong led her away. It just wasn’t fair.



She sat in the car, angry at the world---even at Jaejoong. “Why’d you come after me?” she yelled.

He grimaced. Oh how he loved headaches.

She turned and shook him. The car swerved. “WHY WON’T YOU SAY ANYTHING? DO YOU KNOW WHAT’S HAPPENING?”

He smiled at her. “You’ve found your family.”

Tae Hee fought the urge to strike him. She took in a few deep breaths.

The car parked in front of Jaejoong’s mansion. “We’re home, dongsaeng.”

She grumbled unhappily. How could he not be affected by the news? He acted as if he didn’t care, as if she didn’t matter to him... or was that the case?



He found himself in the office once again---this time accompanied with his sister. “Mother.” He nodded, showing some degree of respect.

“And who’s this girl?” Mrs. Kim demanded. “She better not be that girl you brought home the other night WITHOUT our consent.”

Mr. Kim interrupted cautiously. “Honey, she’s our daughter.”

Obviously nobody had informed her. Mrs. Kim’s face underwent several hundred facial expressions before she started crying. Tae Hee and Jaejoong stood there, not knowing what to do next. “Come here. Come here.” Her biological mom motioned for her to step forward, and Tae Hee did so. She was almost immediately embraced. So Mrs. Kim wasn’t as stringent as everybody thought she was. “Oh...” she sobbed. “Oh my daughter, how I missed you.” She whispered to her husband quietly but Tae Hee heard her. ‘What’s her name?’

Tae Hee felt a surge of anger. She pushed her “umma” away. “How can you miss me if you don’t even know my name?!”

“I do. I do, Jeong Hee. But, Jeong Hee, when you were adopted your foster parents changed your name. That’s why it made it so hard for us to find you!”

“Why’d you even try looking for me if you gave me away in the first place?” By this time, Tae Hee was crying. She turned and ran out of the house.


Jaejoong stood there, watching the drama. He couldn’t chase after her, he didn’t have the right anymore. No, all he could do was watch her, watch her run farther and farther away from him. If only... He shook the thought out of his head. She was his... sister now.


She ran and ran and ran and ran until she finally found a taxi. “The beach please,” she ordered. As she stared out the car window, she sighed angrily. Tae Hee had expected Jaejoong or at least SOMEBODY to come running after her--- because they knew she was right. In reality, she just wanted Jaejoong to come chasing after her, grab her arm and turn her around, and kiss her. How could he have just thrown all those feelings away? Instead of rebelling or revolting or doing SOMETHING, all he did was stand there as if it didn’t matter. He was just toying with her. What a jerk.

The taxi halted as it arrived at the requested destination. After paying the driver, Tae Hee strolled barefoot in the sand. She dug into her purse and drew out a photo of Jaejoong and her. it for the last time, she hesitated. “AGH! YOU LOSER! I HATE YOU! I HATE ALL OF YOU! YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO COME LOOKING FOR ME ANYMORE!” she screamed frantically, releasing her emotions. About to throw the crumpled image in the ocean, a hand grabbed her arm, halting its motion.

She turned and her pupils grew. This was unexpected.

“Umma?”

“Tae Hee...”

“What are you doing here?”

“I heard you found your family...”

She nodded. It was true, she had found her family---but she didn’t accept them.

Her foster mother continued, “The Kim family...of KPC, right?”

Again, she nodded. Tae Hee’s heart felt like breaking. Her umma sounded so disappointed.

“Tae Hee... I’m glad you found your...your...” She choked on her tears. “...family.”

“Umma...” She walked up to hug her mother. “Umma... they’re not my family. You and me, that’s my family.”



Jaejoong watched them smile and wipe each other’s tears away. They’re not my family. They’re not my family. They’re not my family. They’re not my family. So what were they [his family] to her? More importantly, what was he to her? She had seemed so angry at him. He turned his head as he felt a hand on his shoulder.

“... Aren’t you one of Tae Hee’s friends?”

She nodded. “Kim Sung Hee.”

He barked at her. “What do you want?”

“I want to be your girlfriend.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks for reading :)