Chapter 3

The "i" Word

Kim Jaejoong leaned against the lockers, arms crossed, as he waited for the door to swing open and release his prize. The bell rang as students began filing out of their classrooms. 

 

Kim Tae Hee scooped up her books as classmates began leaving the room for break time. As she reached the exit, she accidentally dropped all her textbooks. “Aw crap,” she muttered angrily. Stooping down to pick the books up, she was cut short. Somebody had already bent over and gathered them all up for her. She rolled her eyes; he was probably another fanboy from the “WE LOVE KIM TAE HEE FANCLUB”. Nonetheless, a favor was a favor, Tae Hee looked up to thank the kind stranger but stopped. Of all people, he was not kind. She glared at him and attempted to grab her books away from him.

 

“Is that any way to treat your boyfriend who happened to help pick up your books AND save you life?” Jaejoong pouted. Tae Hee fought the urge to smack him.

 

She grimaced. “And since when were you dubbed my boyfriend? Now give me back my books!” She reached for them but Jaejoong kept them out of her range.

 

“Not until you have lunch with me.”

 

She gave him a WTF look. Only yesterday had he blown off her date, and now he wanted to have lunch with her? “Uh... no. That just doesn’t work.”

 

“Sorry honey, but I don’t take ‘no’ for an answer,“ he smirked. Oh how she wanted to wipe that smirk off his smug little face with a smack. But she couldn’t. Her books were being held hostage. So all she could do was clench her hands into fists and bite her lip---hoping she’d remain calm. Like that would ever happen. Books in one hand, Jaejoong grabbed Tae Hee’s wrist with his free hand and tugged her towards the school café. 

 

Yoochun’s heart began aching as he watched them wrestle their way to the cafeteria. 

 

 

*****

 

 

Jaejoong nodded curtly to his friends at the lunch table. Then, turning to Tae Hee, he grinned. Clapping his hands loudly, he summoned for attention from the whole student body. “Everyone, as you may know, I’m Kim Jaejoong. And I just wanted to warn you all that nobody, I repeat, NOBODY can touch Kim Tae Hee because as of now, she is my girlfriend.”

 

Seconds later, she finally registered what was going on. “Uh...EVERYBODY?” she shouted aloud. “IGNORE THIS IDIOT. HE’S BEING STUPID. I’M NEVER EVER GOING TO BE HIS GIRLFRIEND---because I don’t want to.” Gasps arose from the throng. Who dared to insult THE Jaejoong?

 

In response, Jaejoong hollered back. “No. No. Ignore her. She’s just a little shocked that I, Kim Jaejoong, future heir of KPC, have decided to choose her of all people. Now carry on.”

 

The usual cafeteria noise resumed. He turned towards me. “Regarding that question, about who dubbing me your boyfriend... here’s your answer: me. He grinned. Leaning in, Jaejoong attempted to kiss Tae Hee, but she pulled back in revulsion. 

 

“Whoa. Congrats, hyung. It’s only been our second day and you’ve found yourself a girlfriend,” Yunho commented cheerfully. Of course, it was his duty to congratulate his best friend’s decision whether he approved of it or not. Junsu nodded with equal excitement, in his usual innocent way. Changmin shrugged as he inhaled a burger, apathetic towards the whole situation. 

 

Tae Hee continued to fume. That Jaejoong still had her precious, EXPENSIVE textbooks hostage. Angry, she stomped out of the bustling cafeteria and into the peaceful courtyard. 

 

 

*****

 

 

Despite the calm setting she was in, her rage just wouldn’t subside. Turning towards a tree, she began kicking at the trunk, ignoring the pain shooting up her foot. 

 

“I wouldn’t do that if I were you.” Tae Hee turned and saw Yoochun. “You’ll be attending a function with Jaejoong tonight and you’ll need to preserve your pretty little feet.” He sighed and sat down, leaning his back against the tree’s trunk.

 

“What function?” she questioned. “And why would I be going with Jaejoong?”

 

“Well, seeing as you’re hyung’s new girlfriend, you’re expected to do such things. It’s not everyday Jaejoong gets a companion, so you’re basically seen as his fiancée. And as a fiancée, you’re supposed to attend all the functions Jaejoong, as future heir of KPC, is supposed to host. And of course, you’re not to make a fool of yourself or Jaejoong.”

 

Tae Hee groaned. OMG, another believer. “Why must you all be so dense? I’m quite sure all of you heard quite clearly that I WAS NOT AND AM NOT Jaejoong’s girlfriend. Therefore, I am not required to attend whatever function’s he is hosting because I am not related to him whatsoever.”

 

Yoochun released a breath of relief. So she hadn’t been won over yet---unlike most other girls. “Unfortunately, if Kim Jaejoong, just like if any one of us, makes a decision, it is permanent---no matter how much the other party may not approve of it. So therefore, you ARE his girlfriend who MUST attend tonight’s function which includes dancing, hosting, and all the other nice things included in this package.”

 

“OMG. It’s always Kim Jaejoong this, Kim Jaejoong that. WHEN WILL IT STOP!? What’s so freaking special about him, other than the fact that he’s loaded? Strip him of his wealth, and he’s just a normal kid with above normal looks.” Tae Hee resumed attacking the tree.

 

“You’ll get used to it. You know, you’re not so bad.” He commented.

 

Tae Hee smiled. “You’re not so bad yourself.”

 

“I think you just might survive,” Yoochun added; his smile giving her strength. 

 

 

*****

 

She felt nasty glares burning through every part of her body, and she didn’t understand why. Just because she was walking next to Jaejoong who just happened to be carrying her books? That’s stupid. 

 

“Well, here you are.” Jaejoong handed Tae Hee her books and dug his hands into his jean pockets. She observed him oddly; it was interesting how he, obviously a major player, was acting shy around her.

 

She nodded, clutching her books to her chest.

 

“Oh yes, before I forget, meet us in the courtyard after school. And you better be there or else.” He glowered at her, threatening her to dare disobey his orders.

 

Oh no he didn’t. Displeased, she stomped upon his foot and watched smugly as he writhed upon the floor, clutching his injured foot.

 

“Serves you right!”

 

Before Jaejoong could curse at her, Seung Yeon, Sung Hee, and Younha had already dragged her into the classroom and slammed the door behind them.

 

 

 

“SPILL.” Sung Hee demanded. “How could you have become his girlfriend in such a short period of time, when I’m obviously prettier than you? I actually tried to get his attention. And you? You hate him!” 

 

Seung Yeon looked anxious. “I thought I told you to stay away?”

 

Younha giggled, “Do you think Yoochun’s open?” 

 

Ah Younha, she always seemed like a “Sung Hee” clone, but she was evidently smarter. Usually, Tae Hee didn’t pay much attention to her as she was often very quiet but having Younha’s silence was sometimes comforting---especially when you wanted to rant on and on.

 

Tae Hee sighed. “I don’t know how. You did tell me to stay away. And I’m not sure if Yoochun’s available, but he’s a good one.” There, answers to three different questions in one compact answer.

 

Before they could question (more like interrogate) her anymore, the teacher rapped on his desk and class started. 

 

 

*****

 

She checked her watch. Oh crap, fourteen minutes late. She was screwed; she knew it. Even from afar, she could see a pissed-off Jaejoong (who was bullying some lower classman), and then she realized. Who said she had to obey him anyway? It wasn’t as if she had sold herself to him or something. Her sprint evolved into a slow walk. And she even did “smell the roses”. 

 

Tae Hee’s phone began to ring. Flipping it open, she said, “Hello?”

 

“WHY IN THE WORLD ARE YOU BEING SO FREAKING SLOW? YOU HAVE A LOT OF SHOPPING TO DO, YOU KNOW?” Jaejoong shouted into the phone. Gosh, how stalker-ish of him to get her phone number without her knowing.

 

“I’ll be there soon, “ Tae Hee assured him with a smirk.

 

After what seemed to be forever, she finally arrived at the courtyard to find a scowling Jaejoong with his friends. 

 

“Gosh, what took you so long, huh?” he barked. She glanced over at Yoochun who gave her a disapproving look. 

 

“Uh...sorry?”

 

“You really don’t realize why you’re here, do you?” Jaejoong interrogated.

 

 

 She shook her head defiantly. In this battle, TAE HEE VS. JAEJOONG, she was determined to be the victor.