Chapter 30 Epilogue

The "i" Word


Their relationship was no longer on the rocks.



They knew they were meant for each other.

Jaejoong’s sickness was a barometer for their love. With all the chemo, the tests, and the transplant, it was certain that their love was true. Tae Hee had accompanied him to each and every one---through the tiresome and the tough to the dull and difficult.







She was there for him.

And he was there for her.

Together and forever, they vowed.














One Year Later

Clutching several papers in her hand, Tae Hee banged excitedly on Jaejoong’s door. “OPEN UP, OPPA!”

Hair uncombed, shirt askew, Jaejoong flung the door open angrily. “CAN’T YOU READ THE SIGN?” He pointed angrily to the poster on his door stating “DO NOT DISTURB IF YOU WANT ME TO FEED YOU”.

She swallowed and smiled awkwardly. “I’ll eat instant ramen tonight?”

He smirked. “We’re eating out.”

Her pupils dilated. “We’re going on a date?” She squealed, “When was the last time we went out? Are we going to watch a movie too?”

Jaejoong sighed and shook his head. “Just wear something pretty.” And he slammed the door in her face. But she didn’t care. They were going somewhere pretty.





*****




“Agh, Seung Yeon! Pick up! Pick up!” Tae Hee muttered excitedly, drumming her fingers on the mahogany desk.

“Hello?” her friend greeted groggily. “Is this Tae Hee?”

“EEK!! You’re never going to believe it!”

“What?”

“HE’S BRINGING ME SOMEWHERE TONIGHT!! SOMEWHERE PRETTY!” she shrieked excitedly.

“Hate to pop your bubble dear. Well, not really. But, Junsu’s bringing me somewhere “pretty” too. And according to Younha, Changmin mentioned something about formal wear. So, you’re not the only one, dear,” Seung Yeon informed happily.

“You , you know that?” Tae Hee pouted. “Oh well, it’s still a date. And it’s still Jaejoong, so it’s all good.”

Sure.”



*****



Tae Hee frowned as Jaejoong led her to the table reserved for eight. Seung Yeon was right. This . No alone time for Tae Hee and Jaejoong.

“I thought this was a date for just us two!” she hissed in Jaejoong’s ear.

He smiled. “I’m glad you wore something pretty.”

“You’re changing the topic.”

And again, he replied with but a smile.

“Psh, what’s with all the secrecy?” A grin crept up on her face. “Are you gonna propose to me? Awww...that’s so cute.”

“What happened to the mature Tae Hee I loved?” he teased, pulling the chair out for her.

“She’s still in there...somewhere deep, deep down in there,” Tae Hee replied cheerfully.







As the dishes were served, Jaejoong cleared his throat, motioning for everybody to silence. Tae Hee clutched her napkin excitedly. What if this really was a proposal?

“I’ve got something to propose to you all,” Jaejoong began.

She froze in excitement.

“Well... us guys have something to propose to you girls...” he hesitated. “Changmin, you tell them.”

“What? Me? No, I’m too young. Get Yoochun to tell them,” Changmin protested quickly.

“No! Junsu hyung. You tell your girlfriend,” Yoochun added.

Junsu turned pale.

“Don’t tell him to, idiots! He doesn’t work well under pressure!” Seung Yeon snapped. She patted her boyfriend on the back. "Here, have some water."

“Fine. Fine. I guess this is why I’m the leader. I’ll tell them,” Yunho offered.

Gazing out at the audience [of 7 people], he swallowed. “Where to start? Well...since we were young, it’s been all five of our dreams to become singers. Yes, when we told our parents, we were laughed at. And at that moment, our dreams were tucked away, hidden forever, because nobody would ever take a group of rich heirs seriously. It’d be like pulling a Paris Hilton.

"But when Jaejoong’s company went down the toilet, he finally got to go chase after his dream. We’ve all got siblings, so our company won’t die without us. Therefore, we chose to follow in Jaejoong’s footsteps and audition for an entertainment company.”


The girls gasped in disbelief.

“Seriously?” Tae Hee choked on her kimchi. Of all days... what perfect timing. She had been wanting to tell him something too.

Jaejoong smiled. “We’ve already begun training. And that’s why I’ve always been singing in my room for the past few weeks.”

“And you kept this away from us?” Younha pouted, stuffing beansprouts into . “You guys are such party poopers.”




*****



Tae Hee’s skirt flapped as the wind blew. “So cold,” she chattered. With a smile, she muttered to herself, “I guess I never learn. It’s the middle of March and yet I’m still wearing a skirt.” [A/N: Refer to CHP 1 where she vowed never to wear a skirt in the middle of March when she was waiting for Jaejoong]

“Here.” Approaching her from behind, Jaejoong rested his jacket over her shoulders. “Better?”

She smiled gratefully at him. “So, trainee, what’s it like knowing that you’re going to be famous one day?”

“Nerve-wrecking.”

“Why?”

“Because we’re never going to have quality time like this again.”

He hugged her.

She kissed him on the cheek. “Not true. You can always come to California.”

He shook his head in a daze. “Huh?”

“I got accepted. UCLA accepted me.”

“Really?”

“Really. One of the best medical courses in the U.S. I can finally go after my dream...just like you are.” Her eyes shimmered in her excitement. “And so there, whenever you come to visit, we can go on a date like normal people.” She grinned. “It’ll be fun!”

“...”

“What’s your take?”

“The i word.”

“WTF?”

“Fine. Let me rephrase that. An i word.”

“And I repeat, WTF?”

“Indeed.”





*****




Tae Hee bit her lip nervously. So this was goodbye.

“Tae Hee...” Seung Yeon and Younha cried. “Don’t leave us!”

With his arm around Younha, Changmin grinned. “We’ll miss you Tae Hee.”

“Haha, sure you guys do. Don’t forget me when you guys get famous, okay?”

“Psh. We’re debuting next week. Of course we’ll forget you!” Yunho teased.

Their manager glared at Tae Hee while tapping on his watch, motioning to the boys that it was time for them to leave.

She declared hesitantly, “Ok...I guess it’s time for me to go.”

“I promise I’ll write!” Jaejoong shouted after her as she headed towards the entrance.










*****





One Week Later

“DONGBANGSHINKI!” the emcee announced.

Watching them on TV in her dorm, Tae Hee squealed as they performed.

“Who’s that?” her roommate, Laura, asked, pointing to Jaejoong.

“He’s my boyfriend.”

Laura raised an eyebrow. “Sure, Tae Hee, sure.” Then she muttered under her breath, “Delusional fangirl.”

As their debut performance concluded, Jaejoong shouted, holding an envelope, “SARANGHAEYO, TAE HEE!”

Laura stood in shock. “D---did he just say your name? What’s that supposed to mean?”

“It means, I love you,” Tae Hee grinned. “And that envelope he’s holding? That’s for me. I told you he was my boyfriend.”

“You’ve got to be kidding,” her roommate stated. What were the chances of Tae Hee being friends with famous people? One out of a bazillion.

“I’m not.”










And true to his word, the letter did come --- three days later --- along with a bouquet of forget-me-nots.

“Your favorite flower.

Forget-me-nots. True love. Hope. Remembrance. Memories. See? I haven’t forgotten.”




A smile broke out on Tae Hee’s face as she read the card. “Indeed you haven’t.”