Chapter 8

The "i" Word

“It’s a good pairing actually,” Mrs. Kim droned on. “You like her and she likes you. She comes from a good family and so do you. You see? Perfect couple!”

“No. In fact, you’re totally wrong. The worst couple ever!” Jaejoong turned and ran out of the office and into his room.


How could they do this to him? Hadn’t they realized that SHE was the reason as to why he became a monster? Hadn’t they realized SHE was the reason as to why he had to transfer schools? Hadn’t they realized it was all because of HER?


It was all because of her, Jang Ri In, his first love.


She was what they would call a “perfect” girl. She was beautiful. She was rich. She was smart. Yes, the perfect combination. And that was why he fell for her... But after getting to truly know the most envied girl in the school, he found her vulgar, lurid, nasty... a b*tch She wasn’t Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, or any of those other perfect princesses of Disney’s. She was more like Ursula or some other evil villain: one who lived just to see your downfall.



*flashback*

I’ll meet you behind the school at 4. <3, Ri In


Jaejoong folded the note neatly and smiled. She wasn’t like any other girl. She was special. That was why he loved her. He HAD given her his first kiss. 

He ran to their usual meeting spot an hour early... but stopped. There she was: looking beautiful as always... while making out with another boy. He didn’t know what to do. Stand there and look like a fool, or shout and scream and look like a fool? 

Before he could run, Ri In had turned his way and frowned. “You’re a bit early,” she stated, seemingly unaware of the setting.

“Just a tad bit,” the boy agreed.

Jaejoong was confused. How could she act as if nothing happened? He glared at the boy.

Finally sensing some degree of awkwardness, she motioned for the stranger to leave.

His stare turned to her, as he watched her coldly.

Silence. 

“You lied.”

More silence.

“How could you? Was I just a toy? What was I to you?” He started heating up.

Although she was at fault, she handled the situation with great aplomb. “Nothing. You weren’t even a toy, more like a piggy bank.”


*end flashback* 



She had loved him for only his money. In her eyes, he wasn’t even worthy of being deemed a toy. In the span of less than a month, he had fallen in love, given his heart to her, and she had broken it. And so he went crazy, wreaking havoc among the school. And his antics landed him at this school.


A knock sounded at his bedroom door, breaking his train of thoughts.

“Jaejoong, son?”

His father entered the room and sat on the bed. Jaejoong turned his head away, determined not to face the monster who had brought his life to ruins.

“Jaejoong, look at me.” Unwillingly, his head turned to find his usual expressionless father looking rather sorry. “Mianhamnida”

Jaejoong was shocked. He had never heard his father apologize before...and not to him either. “What?”

“I’m sorry... for arranging this marriage...”

“Appa...”

“If I had known... I wouldn’t have engaged her to you...”

He rolled his eyes; anger surged within him. “That’s what they all say.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Sorry isn’t going to help, is it?”

“It’s for our business...”


What a surprise. It was always for their business. 


“But... I thought our company was doing just fine?”

“You know we sell software to computer producers. Yes, perhaps we’re doing pretty well, but we can do better. And you know Ri In’s father owns a huge computer company... so before we consulted you, we agreed to arrange the marriage. I thought you liked Ri In. In fact, it was her who suggested it anyway...so we thought...”

Why me? He asked himself. Why did he have to be the only child of this selfish family? All responsibilities were given to him, no matter his age or the level of difficulty. Just because he was an only child. He didn’t even want this company. Math and science just didn’t interest him.


“So you thought? You thought WRONG! You of all people should know to never trust Ri In. Look at what she did to us! Why did you have to give birth to me, of all people? I HATE THIS COMPANY! If I wasn’t the only child, I probably wouldn’t have to work and give up as much as I do now, do I?” He questioned angrily, expecting no answer.

“Maybe it’s time to tell you...”

“TELL ME WHAT?”

“Son... you aren’t the only child.”


*****


Tae Hee observed the doorbell before her. Should she press it? If she did, would she be considered too nosy? But if she didn’t, she wouldn’t know what had happened to Jaejoong.

She hesitated, turned around, and left. It wasn’t her family’s affair, as much as she wanted it to be.


*****

“What do you mean, I’m not the only kid?”

“I’ll probably regret telling you this.” His father paused. “But....you had a younger sister. Note, I said HAD. You see, we weren’t as rich back then as are now... and we couldn’t handle two children with the pittance we earned... so we put her up for adoption. And we’ve never heard from her since.”

Realization dawned upon him. “So... if we find her, I can finally rid myself of this company?”

“It’s not as easy as it sounds.”

“But you’ve never even searched for her.”

His father remained silent, obviously admitting that he hadn’t.

“I’m going. Bye.”

“You’ve got one week.”


Great. One week. 

One week before he declared the engagement with Jang Ri In. 

One week to mess with Tae Hee’s heart. 

One week to find his sister. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Please comment and subscribe :)