Chapter 2

The "i" Word

Target located. There he was, walking ever so blithely across the grass, talking to his friends happily. HA! Enjoy your moment. You won’t be happy very soon.

 

“TAE HEE!” a voice called out. She turned and waved to her approaching friend, Kim Sung Hee. “OMG. Where were you last night? Do you know how MANY TIMES I tried calling you? Geez, I feel so left out. I bet you went clubbing with the others, didn’t you? And I was stuck at home studying for a final I know I’m going to fail. Hmph, I feel so stupid around you.”

 

Tae Hee blinked blankly at her. Sung Hee was always the “outgoing” one, never the studious one (that was Tae Hee). It truly did surprise her that Sung Hee had actually opened the textbook. Of course Sung Hee wasn’t acing her classes, but she wasn’t failing them either, right? “Uh...no? Do you really think that I of all people would go clubbing?” 

 

She shrugged. “Never know. So, what WERE you doing?”

 

“I got *AACHOO!* sick.” She rubbed her nose and annoyance surged through her. Sung Hee was about to ask about her health, but Tae Hee had already stalked off after her savior, clutching her fists as if ready to pummel someone.

 

She chuckled to herself as she sprinted towards her target. It was kind of ironic wasn’t it? Her planning to harm her savior, the one who had kept her from harm?

 

 

Running up to him, she shouted, “HEY! You there! In the BLACK!” He turned around as Tae Hee punched his face. A crowd automatically formed. 

 

“Jaejoong! Hyung, you okay?” somebody, probably one of his friends, asked.

 

Jaejoong wiped his mouth with his sleeve and stood up, glaring down at her with all his “superiority”. Psh, superiority, my ! “Sure I am, Changmin.” His eyes narrowed down upon her. “Oh...it’s you.” 

 

She sneezed in his face. A disgusted look sprouted upon his face. “Yeah, it’s me. The person YOU got SICK! All because you didn’t show up. You IDIOT! I STAYED THERE FOR TWO FREAKING HOURS IN THE COLD, the COLD I REPEAT!”

 

He rolled his eyes at her. “Sure you did.” Two hours, she said, eh? When he passed by the café, she wasn’t there---and that was less than an hour after 7. So much for waiting in the cold for 2 whole hours. All girls were such liars.

 

“YOU! YOU! YOU! OMG! IF I DON’T SKIN YOU ALIVE RIGHT NOW, I SERIOUSLY WILL---“ she choked as Seung Yeon, another friend of Tae Hee’s, dragged her collar and led her out of the throng. Still, Tae Hee attempted to kick him as she was hauled away.

 

“Will what, huh?” Jaejoong shouted after her, threateningly.

 

 

 

 

“WHAT’D YOU DO THAT FOR?” Tae Hee shouted and shook her fists at Seung Yeon.

 

“Saving your ,” she replied calmly, studying her nails. “Do you know who you were just dealing with?”

 

For some odd reason, Seung Yeon was always the “mole” of her three best friends: Seung Yeon, Younha, and Sung Hee. Nosy and smart, that was Seung Yeon for you. She tended to always care for others a bit too much, motherly, you could say. And that was why Tae Hee loved her the best.

 

“Uh, yeah? The guy who got me sick.” Seung Yeon placed an anxious hand upon Tae Hee’s forehead.

 

“Um, no, Tae Hee, no. Kim Jaejoong, transfer student from Seoul High School.”

 

dropped open. Seoul High School was like the richest of the rich, the smartest of the smart, the best of the best high schools in Korea, probably in Asia too.

 

Without fail, Seung Yeon continued. “Heir to some software company... I’m not really sure which, but the rumors will come flying any day now. But I DO know that the company makes thousands of millions every hour. Almost as impressive as Bill Gates, I know.”

 

“Anybody know where Younha went?” Sung Hee asked, sitting under the shade of a nearby tree. “You guys are talking about the new kids, right? OMG. I heard that the silent one is SINGLE! Isn’t that the greatest news ever? I think I’ll go over and talk to him.”

 

“Wh-wait. What about Younha?” Tae Hee reminded, surprised at how quickly Sung Hee could scoop up information about people’s dating status.

 

“Oh yeah. About Younha... Well, I was going to have lunch with her, but I’ve just found a new lunch date. ^^ The girl’s smart. She can always get another lunch partner. Ok, bye now!” Sung Hee waved and ran towards the horde of people surrounding Jaejoong and his friends. 

 

“Oh yes, where were we?” Seung Yeon started muttering to herself, trying to remember what she had just been informing me. Oh yes, Seung Yeon had the worst memory ever, probably an early sign of encephalitis. XD

 

“Wait, why would he choose to come to our humble school when he had SEOUL HIGH SCHOOL?”

 

Seung Yeon, probably realizing what she forgot, smiled. “Good question! Apparently, his parents donated A LOT to that school and so basically, in return, Kim Jaejoong was free to whatever he wanted. Of course, there’re his “groupies” too. Kim Junsu, Shim Changmin, Jung Yunho, and Park Yoochun. They’re about as rich as Jaejoong too, but not quite. And yeah, their parents donated too, so they’ve got complete control over the school too.”

 

“GET TO THE POINT, SEUNG YEON.”

 

“Yes. Yes. I’m getting there. So after some unknown incident, Jaejoong, who doesn’t usually abuse his power, went crazy. He like totally trashed the school, of course, figuratively. His parents, wanting to discipline him, decided to transfer him to here, Hanan High School --- a “crappier” version of Seoul High School. And I find that like stupidly stupid. Jaejoong and his posse are still just going to do as they please; they’re still loaded with cash. So my advice to you: stay away from them.”

 

Tae Hee nodded halfheartedly. She still wanted to get her revenge on this Kim Jaejoong AKA Mr. Got-Me-Sick.

 

 

*****

 

“Dude, who was that girl?” Yoochun asked. Normally, he wouldn’t have liked to say anything, but this girl did attract his attention, perhaps not just his either. 

 

“Kim Tae Hee, I’ve heard. Normal school girl, nothing special,” Changmin replied smartly, continuing to play with his PSP while grabbing a French fry from the center of their circle. 

 

Jaejoong, who had been silent at that time, spoke up, “Tae Hee. So that’s her name, huh?”

 

Expressions of confusion masked everybody except for Jaejoong. “Uh, hyung? Do you know her?” Junsu questioned. Innocent, naïve little Junsu always seemed so clueless. 

 

“She’s the girl you saved yesterday, isn’t she?” Yunho added. “You’ve already developed feelings for her?”

 

Jaejoong scoffed. “Her? Of all people? You’ve GOT to be kidding. She asked me out on a date yesterday, so I blew her off.”

 

“So...you’re the one at fault, eh?” Changmin teased.

 

“NO! She’s the liar. She’s the one who should get slapped, who should be hurt.” Jaejoong started muttering to himself. “Yes, she should be the one who gets hurt.” He grinned ghoulishly.

 

Yoochun stared off into the distance, looking concerned. 

 

 

*****

 

She had ignored Seung Yeon’s advice and gone running after Jaejoong, wanting to set him straight. There he was. And why was his friend, probably Yoochun, looking at her? Her pace quickened as she got closer to her prize.

 

“HEY YOU, KIM JAEJOONG!” Tae Hee shouted in fury.

 

“Oh god, it’s you again,” he replied sarcastically.

 

“Yes, me,” she snapped back. She threw the gift (the one from yesterday) at him --- hard. “Psh. You don’t deserve it, but you saved my life, so yeah. But now we’re even, so I can despise you as much as I please now, Kim Jaejoong.” She glared at him, then stomped off.

 

Jaejoong looked down at the box as his friends watched him expectantly.

 

“Well...? Aren’t you going to open it?” Yoochun asked.

 

“No.” Tossing the gift at Yoochun, he continued. “You can have it if you like.” He stood up and walked away.

 

 

“What the heck was all that?” Junsu stated blatantly. They all shrugged and resumed their usual afternoon activities AKA being couch potatoes.