Chapter 1

The "i" Word

 The girls shrieked in delight and fanned themselves as the five godly males entered the school building. Their presence was enchanting; everybody’s eyes were transfixed upon them.

 

“God, first day of school and it’s already like this,” one stated with irritancy as they sped away from the horde of stampeding fan girls who were asking for their autographs and pictures. “If I had known it was this bad, I wouldn’t have accompanied you here to...” He eyed his environment with evident disgust. “This place.”

 

“Oh shut up, Yunho. We’re already here, might as well make the best of it,” another snapped back.

 

“Hm, Changmin and Yunho, I seriously don’t understand why you guys hate this place so much.” The speaker paused as he signed an excited girl’s arm with a Sharpie. “Everybody’s so friendly, especially the girls.” He flashed a smirk at a throng of thrilled females.

 

“That’s ‘cause none of the chicks back at home digged you. And now that you’re finally at the center of attention, you’re loving it,” the feminine boy replied with a hint of annoyance in his statement.

 

“Jaejoong, if it weren’t for you and your little reign of tyranny, do you really think we’d be doing this? Running away from girls?” 

 

Jaejoong sneered. “No, Changmin, just the ugly ones.” 

 

He pushed a girl away from him. She plummeted to the ground with a thud. His attractive eyes glistened with guilt, yet he continued strolling down the hallway arrogantly.

 

 

Meet Kim Jaejoong, the new school bully---or so it seemed.

 

 

*****

 

“Miss Kim, would you please explain the difference between structural isomers, geometric isomers, and enantiomers?” the teacher asked.

 

She acquiesced with a smile as she answered the inquiry.

 

The bell rang as she handed her college-leveled textbooks into a guy’s arms. Ah, life was good.

 

 

Meet Kim Tae Hee, the school’s prettiest nerd.

 

 

*****

 

It was a normal day. The normal classes. The normal gossip. The normal upticks - and, of course, the normal downticks. Yeah, everything was pretty much normal---until she was almost killed by a not-so-normal car.

 

 

*****

 

Fear glued her to the pavement. There were shouts, telling her to get out of the way. There was the blaring horn of the oncoming vehicle. There were the footsteps. And yet, she didn't hear anything. She was immersed in her own world. Nothing outside of her little bubble seemed to register---until she was pulled suddenly back into reality as some stranger literally tackled her out of harm's way.

 

Brushing himself off, he muttered, “Watch where you’re going.” With that, he started striding off. Raising herself from the ground, she chased after her savior.

 

“HEY! WAIT UP!” She shouted, confronting him. “Thank you, like A LOT. You like practically --- you’re bleeding!” She reached for his arm, but he pulled it away. “I’m so sorry... You saved me and now you’re injured. There’s gotta be a way to repay you...” She thought to herself. “Hey, how ‘bout I treat you to dinner tonight? 7 tonight at that café near the library, ok?” Before he could reply, she continued. “Good. It’s a date then.” She smiled and was about to run off before she decelerated to a standstill. Heading back towards an expressionless savior, she handed him a neon pink band-aid from her messenger bag. “It might be a bit girly, but at least it’ll cover up your scratches...” 

 

He eyed the band-aid suspiciously. After considering her sincere facade, he had no choice but to accept the band-aid. She beamed. “Well, I’ll see you tonight then!” With that settled, she left for her home.

 

 

*****

 

Jumping up and down to warm herself up outside the café, Tae Hee glanced at her glistening watch. 6:28. Perhaps a few minutes earlier than they had arranged, but hey, better earlier than later, right? She smiled as she looked down upon the gift in her hands. He’d like it; she was sure of that.

 

 

*****

 

Jaejoong laid on his bed and faced the ceiling. Gosh, what had the world come to? Why was he so bored? He 

eyed the clock upon the wall with abhorrence. 6:28. Should he go? If he didn’t go, he’d be a jerk who busted hopeful girls’ bubbles. But what if? What if she was just like all those other girls, those that always had facades on when dealing with him? But what if? What if she seriously wanted to thank him for keeping her from harm? If he did go, what would happen next? Would he be asked onto another date and another and another? Be trapped in a never-ending cycle of dates, like before? Would he be forced into another world, where people loved him for who he was---and not how he was---like before?

 

He saw the girl’s innocent face and felt sick. She reminded him of her. He banged his head on the wall, punishing himself for thinking about her. No, he would not go. He would not.

 

 

*****

 

6:51. Why wasn’t he here yet? Was he in a traffic jam, or worse, was he in trouble? She glanced at the “ever so manly” box in her hands and once again felt hopeful. He’d be here, she knew it.

 

 

*****

 

6:51. He couldn’t help but feel guilty. Nine more minutes and he would officially have blown off the date. No, don’t feel guilty. You KNOW she’s one of them, those leeches. When the world was a stage, they were the best actors of them all. And he hated them, every single one. Yes, hatred, hatred was good. He his cell phone and punched some numbers in. 

 

“Hyung, call the guys. Let’s go clubbing.”

 

 

*****

 

7:36. Where the heck was he? Tae Hee told herself to cease the fuming and noted to never wear a skirt again in the middle of March, especially when the weather was being screwy. Why was it so damn cold? There was no problem about being late, just that it PISSED HER OFF! Calm down, Tae Hee, calm down. He better have a good explanation tomorrow. If there would be a tomorrow for him...she’d have strangled him to death by then. She sneezed uncontrollably and the present fell out of her hands, onto the grimy sidewalk. The box was probably disfigured by now, considering all the anger she had been taking out on it, and she was sick. He was so screwed tomorrow, she was positive.

 

 

*****

 

7:46. The music blared in his ears, threatening to burst his eardrums, but Jaejoong felt good. Music was his alcohol. For some, alcohol was a pain reliever, as was music to him. He especially loved the music they played at clubs: fast paced, basically, good old trance music. But tonight, for some odd reason, his remedy wasn’t working. Annoyed, he sat at the booth his friends had taken. A rather attractive girl flashed him a smile and asked him if the seat was taken. He shook his head and attempted to grin back, but his eyes fell upon the neon pink band-aid she had given him earlier. Once again angry at himself, he stalked out of the club --- leaving the girl and his friends clueless.

 

 

Sitting in the driver’s seat of his new car, Jaejoong glared at the band-aid and ripped it off. Screw the wound. He’d rather be infected with a disease than be reminded of her. The stupid band-aid was like one of the caffeine patches, but instead of keeping you away, the band-aid kept reminding him of the girl, the girl and the date he had blown off. Pressing the pedal, he sped past the club, past the library, and past the café. Suddenly he braked. Was she still there? He turned his head to check. He smirked to himself. Should’ve known, should’ve known.

 

 

Restarting the engine, he drove off into the night, not feeling so guilty anymore.