Chapter 3

That Pair of Eyes...

 

 

 

CH 3 ;

 

Joe's mother guided him up the staircase and into his room, helping him to walk with more stability due to the blurry visions he was experiencing.

She knew to leave him alone to adjust drastic change. He was not one to enjoy company wherever he goes, so she left him alone in his room.

Joe walked to his wardrobe, still having to rely on the wall. It made him feel secure and protected, for they were the only things that helped Joe move around the house for years when he could not see. 
He opened the doors of his wardrobe and glanced at his clothes. He found himself taking a liking to the sets of cool looking clothes hanging on the rack. Does mum like red? Because she sure has bought a lot of red shirts for me... He shook off that random thought. At least now he knew that he wore presentable clothes for the past years. It boosted his self esteem by a little.

Grabbing a set of home clothes, he hastily changed out of his current outfit and made his way to the recording room, which was exactly 23 steps away from his room. His mum had helped him in the setting up of the room so that he could compose songs, sing, rap and play the piano.

The door creaked as he gingerly pushed it ajar. Soon enough, he found himself slowly making his way towards the grand piano with his jaw inching downwards towards the floor with every step. He had been playing this instrument for many years with a vague memory of how it looks like. He sat down on the bench with great care, as though the magnificent and fragile looking object would collapse upon his touch. He lifted the lid before placing his fingers on the shiny black and white keys. He started off with a C, followed by an A, and slowly drifted off into a slow and peaceful melody with his fingers moving swiftly and gracefully over the keys of the beautiful grand piano.

Having finished several songs without keeping track of time, Joe found his stomach churning. But he had to use the washroom before he can start digging through the kitchen cupboards for junk food.

He did not have to use the washroom to answer nature's call. Instead, he only had to use the mirror in the washroom...

To take a look at himself.

He stepped into the bathroom and closed the door behind him. Pondering and suddenly having second thoughts, he hesitantly made his way to the mirror, keeping his eyes only on the basin. Taking a deep breath, he slowly shifted his gaze from the basin to the mirror. He had not the least idea how he looks like, except that he has blonde hair...

He prepared himself for the worst as his eyes shifted its focus away from the basin.

He soon found himself staring into the mirror at a guy with blonde hair and fair skin. He had thin pursed lips, small eyes with single eyelids. He stared into the mirror with a deep gaze. This was not what he expected himself to look like... He found himself starting to touch his own facial features, amazed at how he looks like.

However, his eyes had that mysterious and deep, immense gaze which did not belong to him. It was the donor's. He started despising himself for thinking along that line yet again and lost the mood to face the mirror for any longer. Eventually, he forgot about his hunger and fell asleep on his desk till the sun set.

His tear ducts started working overnight, and Joe woke up several times with tears running down his cheek. He experienced discomfort when blinking and moved himself from the desk where he fell asleep to his bed to keep his eyes shut.

The days following his discharge were horrible. His eyes started to hurt more and more, and he was only days away from moving to Seoul to study.

His doctor had said that the pain will gradually get better, but Joe started doubting his words. Nothing was getting better. He started feeling as though having no sense of sight was much better than having to bear with such excruciating pain. Joe started hating the doctor, hated the whole operation, and hated himself for agreeing to take the operation.

As the days inched by at a painfully slow rate, his vision eventually improved. It was no longer hazy and blurry, and he could blink comfortably. His tear ducts stopped working overnight, and Joe soon found himself only a day away from his flight by the time the post-operation effects wore off.

He started getting ready his luggage and important documents, preparing himself to leave early morning the next day... Towards Seoul, Korea.

 

 

 

A/N; Annyeong~ Here's Ch3! ^^ I hope you all have been enjoying this fanfic ~ Thank you for the 20 subbies already! I'm really so happy I don't know how to express my gratitude... ^^