Prologue

That Pair of Eyes...

 

CH 1 ;

 

[A/N; L.Joe's English name is Joe, so I'll be using Joe until the setting is in Korea]

 

"I'm home!" Joe bolted the door and locked it before using his hands to graze the wall for exactly twenty steps. He felt the railing and held onto it, about to climb the stairs up to his bedroom on the second floor.

"Joe?" His mum called out questioningly.

Joe smiled and turned to the direction of the dining room, "Yes?"

How does his mum look like? What are the colour of her eyes? The shape of her face? He has never had any idea how she looks like. The last time he ever saw her was more than ten years ago, and whatever facial features of hers he remembered from then vaguely lingered in his head. Whenever he felt her hands touching his cheeks to bid him goodnight from time to time, a feeling of warmth would gush within him.

As for his dad, he had no idea what had happened. One night he had heard his parents quarreling over his dad having another woman outside. He did not mean to eavesdrop, but they were screaming so loudly he could hear everything from the second level. From that day on, he had never heard his dad's voice or felt his dad's touch.

"Come over for a moment." His mum said. He could not see her expression currently, but through years of experience, he could hear that strong tinge of happiness overflowing from his mum's smile. He pictured her warm smile in his head and made his way to the kitchen with the help of railings which his mum had someone to attach to the walls for his convenience.

Joe felt around for a chair and pulled it out to sit on it. "Yup?"

"I have some good news."

He thought he could see her beaming by the tone of her voice.

"Here." His mum placed a piece of paper on the table and brought his index finger over to the top of the paper. It was written in braille, the language that the blind uses. He trailed his hand over the paper with the small dots protruding out, reading it.

"An... Eye surgical hospital...?" He managed to choke out.

"Continue reading."

Joe continued to swiftly move his finger over the braille. "A cornea transplant?!"

"I would still be around, and I would not have to worry about anything if you're here in America. But you're going to an unfamiliar place. I can't allow you to go without your sense of sight."

"You don't understand me at all." Joe hissed.

Having lived over ten years without his sense of sight, he was used to the darkness that engulfed his world.

Yes, he had yearned to see light again before. He had wanted to bash up all the students, in fact, everyone at school for looking down and him and despising him.

He had wanted to just quit schooling to avoid those big bullies. But he did not want to see with another person's eye. Sure it was just the cornea, but he hated the thought of it. He would rather live in darkness for the rest of his life than see the world with another person's eyes. Was even his own mother going to look down on him now and not trust him to be alone in Korea without being able to see?

"I'm just worried you'll get treated the way you are now in Korea. I can protect you here, but I can't in Korea. Why is it that when others get a cornea donor they're so elated but you're rejecting it?!"

"No. I'm not going for this."

"Do you know how hard it is to get a cornea donor?!" Anger started to surge within her. It was hurtful to see her son like that. Being bullied, enveloped by darkness, having to feel around to move about...The list goes on.

"You don't trust me to protect myself there?"

"I just worry for you... I'm the reason why you're like this now... Just go for this would you? I begged the doctor to get a cornea donor in a month... Stop being so stubborn. The blind wants to see light. Why wouldn't you?" Her eyes started to form a pool of salty liquid and her ears turned red. His arrogance was not going to get him anywhere. Her voice became strained.

Sure, his character had changed a lot because of the fact that he is blind. It was the reason why he had built up a wall around him, not allowing others to get through to him. It was the reason why he was so introverted, why he had not a single friend. It was the reason why... he did not want a cornea transplant.

She knew clearly that it would be hard work persuading him into going for the surgery. Without doubt, she understood her son. She knew why he refuses to go for the eye transplant. He hates the world around him, which was why he only immerses himself in the world of music. To him, everyone around him is someone that looks down on him. That was why he would hate to go for a cornea transplant. The donor was someone who could see, someone who would look down on him. He had a shallow mindset. Long story put short, he hated to see the world with another person's cornea.

Joe heard his mother's strained voice and his mother sniffing. "Mum?" He called out and reached a hand out to feel around. When he felt her hand on the table, he held onto his mother's hand.

"Fine." He finally said, after a few minutes of silence.

"You... agree to go for this?" Joe's mother took her son's face in her hands. "You agree?" Surprise and happiness mixed themselves in her and she repeated yet again, "You're going for this?"

"Yea. Now, don't worry okay? Don't feel guilty anymore too... It isn't your fault I'm like this."

In those few minutes of silence, he had millions of thoughts running through his head. How would the thing called piano he plays look like? It produced wonderful music, and yet he could not see how it looks like. How does his mum look like? How does his house look like?

How... does he himself... even look like?

He did not like to hear his mum cry. He hated it when she blamed herself for his current situation.

Once again, he is doing this for his mum. Doing this does not mean he accepts or likes the idea that he would be seeing with another person's cornea. All he wanted to do was to assure his mum that he would be safe in Korea. If he were not to go for this surgery, his mum may even threaten him using the Korea school issue. He would not risk that.

He loved his mum. She was the only person that was with him this entire time. The only person that accepted him.

This is it, he thought, I would be seeing the world... with another person's cornea. How great does that sound? He remarked in his head sarcastically. But it's alright, he comforted himself. So long as mum wouldn't feel guilty or worried about me. At least... I get to see how the piano I've always been playing looks like...

With that, he gave his mum a reassuring smile before getting up and feeling his way back to the staircase to get to his room.




 

 

A/N; Thank you so much for already subscribing before the 1st chapter is posted ~ ^^

How was the first chappie? Hope it was alright ^^ look foward to the next chappie, Angels ♡

Have you all watched the MV? L.Joe's sho hawt in there :3 HE SANG ~ /faints/