Last Goodbyes

One Good Reason

 

I'm still being reprimanded for my “immature behavior” as the boat is being docked. I mutter my apologies under my breath and take deep breaths to keep me calm. I agree, I shouldn't have made such a spectacle in public, but you know what? I'm not going to play by the rules anymore. I want to talk to someone, I talk to them. Nothing's going to stand in my way any longer. And I want to show him that he's my friend, that nothing in the world makes me happier than being his friend.

 

Besides being his girlfriend.

 

No, that's still stupid, Mona. Get a grip on reality...the now. You're almost nine years younger than he is, and you're having fantasies about dating him? That's frowned upon in the world today, you know. And what are the odds that you're really in love with a guy you've just met?

 

“Mona Elrich!”

 

Oh, the odds are in favor, my dear.

 

I turn around and see him running up to me, waving his poster. His short hair is moving with the breeze, his eyes anxiously meet mine, as his stride speeds up. I smile broadly, my eyes being included in the goofy grin.

 

“Wait a minute!”

 

It's that chaperone again. No...no!

 

“What are you doing?” she scolds, placing herself right in front of me...and Yunho, who would have just made it to me.

 

“Now, I'm not this girl's mother, so I can't approve or disapprove of what you two have been doing the past four days, but you are bothering all of these other students and their studies! They paid good money for this trip, and you pestering one of them is taking a toll on all of the others! For heaven's sake, look at what you're doing to such a respectable child! If you don't stop harassing these students, I will have you taken care of by the French authorities.”

 

Alright, this needs to be straightened out.

 

“Now, I don't have much of a right to speak up for myself,” I spit venomously, walking around her to assert myself face-to-face. “You've made that quite clear already. But who's said one thing about this man harassing one of us? I'd like to know why you are accusing him of bothering us. He hasn't done a single thing to you, so I don't think it's fair that you push the blame on him for being a bother. And if I'm such a 'respectable student', shouldn't you let me make my own decisions with who I associate myself with? It is our last day on this trip, and I think that being such 'respectable students' has earned us the right to enjoy it freely, with whomever we choose.”

 

Obviously, the whole group is in utter shock. I've barely said two words to anyone besides Elyse the duration of our trip, and I just ripped this lady a new one.

 

Yunho seems to be watching on in confusion and unease. His gaze goes back and forth between me and the chaperone. Poor guy, caught in the middle of this nonsense.

 

I hear a few of the guys snicker, and some of the girls start to whisper to one another.

 

“For the record, we agree,” one of the courageous guys says. “I think we should be able to have fun and let loose. Let her talk to the guy.” He nods his head in Yunho's direction. I mean, hey, all he's guilty of is makin' a fool out of himself to get this girl's attention. Right, Buddy?”

 

“Right, Buddy!” Yunho cheers, nodding in response. I don't think he's understood a word of this whole ordeal. That's alright, let him have his innocence. I flash him a quick smile to let him know he's fine. He returns the smile with one of his own, and blows me out of the water with its beauty.

 

The chaperone throws me a glance, and shakes her head. “Kids these days,” she mutters, shrugs, and storms away. The other students all give their own cheers, and wander away on their own paths.

 

Elyse gives me a pat on the back, and pushes me towards Yunho. She's wonderful. I try to thank her, but she covers my mouth with one finger.

 

“Don't thank me,” she says sternly. “You've gotten yourself this far. Just let me know how it works out later on tonight.” She winks, waves at Yunho shyly, and scampers away.

 

“Oppa,” I finally say, once I've caught my breath. My head is spinning. “I-”

 

He grabs my arm, and pulls me in close. I feel his arms holding me tightly in an embrace. “Hi, Mona,” he coos, petting my hair with one hand.

 

I can feel my face getting warmer, my heart racing faster than ever before, my breath comes in hasty gasps. I try to breath through my nose, but all I can get into my lungs is his tantalizing scent. It makes my breath faster. I can hear his heartbeat within his chest beating much slower than my own. He's so relaxed compared to me, who can't seem to think straight.

 

“Hi, Mona,” he says, comforting me still. He my hair, calmingly whispering to me in Korean. I can't understand a word of what he's saying to me, but then again, I can't really understand anything right now, past the fact that I'm hugging Yunho. I smile in his embrace.

 

“Oppa, I'm sorry,” I say quietly in the confines of his hold. I close my eyes, breathing in and out, in and out. I clutch his loose shirt, afraid that if I let go, I might never get to hold him this close again.

 

“What?” he asks, and I can feel his torso bend down slightly to talk to me. “Why?” His question sounds so curious, so inquisitive, so...innocent. Does he think that he's done something wrong?

 

“Why?” I repeat, taking another breath of his scent in. “Because...well, I've been mean to you.”

 

“Mean?” he asks. “Why?”

 

“Why?” I repeat again. That's a good question. I don't know how to put it simply so that he can understand. That I was being selfish? That I was being immature? Would he be able to comprehend those words, or be able to remember them long enough to know what they mean?

 

I suddenly remember the meaning of a long Korean phrase one of my favorite songs. The whole thing translated means “Heart aches when you fall in love with a beauty”. It's the closest thing I've got to an explanation.

 

“Amigo,” I whisper, hoping he'll understand.

 

“Amigo? Like SHINee?”

 

He understood! I sigh a breath of relief, but quickly breath back in, once again taking in his wonderful smell. “Ne...Saranghae...” I sigh, snuggling into his chest.

 

Wait...did I just say “I love you”?

 

He suddenly pushes me away, his face stern, his arms holding me out away from him. “Oppa? What-”

 

“You are my friend,” he says seriously. “My friend...” He bends in close, and gently kisses my forehead. “Mona, you are my friend.” His tone softens, as he brushes my loose hair from my face. He holds my face tenderly in his fingers.

 

“Oppa...” I say again, feeling tears form in my eyes. I can't phrase my reason any other way, but, maybe that's because it's true...? I've fallen in love with a beauty?

 

His thumb over my cheek, wiping a cascading tear. He smiles warmly one last time before saying, “Goodbye, Mona Elrich.”

 

The warmth of the smile is replaced with the coldness of his back. I don't know what to do, but I try to take a step forward. My leg buckles beneath me, and I'm sent crashing to the ground as I watch Yunho walk away.

 

“Goodbye...” I whisper.

 

My last day in France is over.

________________________________

Dragon note~

Yellow font for the first time :D

I love this story sooooooooooooooooo much, I don't wanna end it in a few chapters >.<

But it must be done :(

Oh well, enjoy it while it lasts~ ♥