The Neverending Trip Out to Europe

One Good Reason

 

Turns out we don't have to get rid of the dog after all. My brother's not allergic, which gives me one less reason to hate him. So I guess things at home have settled down.

 

I stir in my seat on the plane, stretching my legs until the rest of my body trembles a little with the effort. The girl next to me looks over with curiosity. I think that she might engage in conversation, but I turn to face the window. I replay the conversation with my family before I reached the gates of the plane.

 

“Are you sure you've packed everything, Baby?”

 

“Mom, we've been over this I don't know how many times. Five changes of clothes, with an extra days worth of under garments and one nice outfit, tooth brush and paste, hair brush, deodorant, bathing suit, a hair clip, a cell phone, my iPod, my glasses, and a book in case of boredom. Oh, and a hundred dollars, in case I'm held for ransom and need some airfare.”

 

gapes open like she doesn't know how to respond. I decide to do it for her.

 

“Relax, Mom, I know not to talk to strangers and all that jazz. I'll call you during the day, since it'll be most convenient for both of us.”

 

My dad approaches my mom and brother with my suitcase. He certainly knows this airport like the back of his hand...he's only worked here since I was little.

 

His reluctance to let me go is apparent, but he's clearly more accepting of the idea. Funny, because my mom was the one pushing for this trip to take place.

 

“Well, I guess you've gotta get going, right?”

 

His voice snaps me out of my stupor. “Oh, yeah,” I manage, taking the rolling suitcase from him. I scrounge my brain for anything to say to them before I leave, but come up with nothing.

 

“I'm gonna miss you, Mona,” my brother pipes up. He seems to want to say more, but reluctantly decides not to.

 

“Geez, I'll be gone for a few weeks, it's not like I'm moving out yet,” I stress. My parents give me a glare. Be nice to your brother. Right.

 

I walk up to him, unsure how to say goodbye. I settle for a hand on the head and a semi-hug. I kiss my dad's cheek quickly, and manage to end up in my mom's arms. I glance down at my wrist.

 

 

“Mom, do ya mind? I kinda need to get going. Ya know, the plane?”

 

She steps back from her one-sided embrace, slightly tearful. “Yeah. I love you, Mona.”

 

I turn my back, in case her tears spread to my eyes. I wave my hand, taking my suitcase with me as I stride down the gate. “Yeah, yeah, I know. Love you guys, too.”

 

Not exactly the most original conversation in the world.

 

I glance to my right at the the girl once again. She seems to have fallen asleep during my daydream. I turn away to face the window once more, watching as the ocean drifts ever so slowly beneath me.

 

I've wanted so long to leave home for just an extended period of time...any amount of time would be fine. But, anxiety sets in as my sleepless night passes me on the plane.

 

It's been a strange phenomenon of mine since I was a young child, I'm unable to sleep in any moving vehicle. Can't sleep in cars, planes, trains, boats...you move in it, I'm awake in it. I'll pull all-nighters, simply because the foreign body transporting me is moving.

 

My book finished hours ago on the trans-Atlantic flight, I ruffle through my carry-on bag for my iPod. I put my headphones in my ears, crank up the volume to 50%, and hope to God that my anxiety passes me by as quick as my sleepless night.

 

________________________________________________

Author's note!!

Alright, I lied. Not really anything kpop related in this chapter either >_<

I swear, there will be more exciting things in the next chapter. I just figured it would make more sense to separate this little segment :)

~Thanks~